Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,271 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yay!!!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I... suppose it's possible that there's a tree in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I see your Xena tree and give you Transformers Nativity:

20923614a9672665122l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

His noodly appendage is currently providing super shields for chez Jernal. Protecting the structure from the storm.
    Ramen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Behold - a looking much worse for wear Xena takes pride of place for the 10th year running on an otherwise understated tree.

1476449_10152091284634313_1310189546_n.jpg
    Nice star:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nice star:)

Child politics - 'S'not faair I wanna put something on the tree' wailed Hermonine's younger brother three years ago. 'Xena is my job!!!' shrieked Hermoine = purchase of a star as we couldn't get a Gabrielle.

Finished stuffing the turkey earlier. Breadcrumbs (duh), onion, fresh parsley and thyme - didn't realise how much of a PITA stripping thyme leaves off the twigs is - and 454g of sausage meat :) all going into the neck cavity. And a whole onion in the body cavity a.k.a. bum.

The turkey is on a bed of chopped carrots, parsnips, onion, and leek, which will all boil down in the juices and end up in the gravy :)

Think I used enough bacon on the top..?

285919.jpg

285920.jpg

This (along with a bit of butter basting) will keep the breast meat and stuffing nice and moist, and when the turkey is still an hour off being ready and the smell is driving you crazy, you can eat the now crispy bacon as a snack :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bah humbug

no nieces and nephews here just us, the cold and crappy internet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ninja900 wrote: »
    Finished stuffing the turkey earlier. Breadcrumbs (duh), onion, fresh parsley and thyme - didn't realise how much of a PITA stripping thyme leaves off the twigs is - and 454g of sausage meat :) all going into the neck cavity. And a whole onion in the body cavity a.k.a. bum.

The turkey is on a bed of chopped carrots, parsnips, onion, and leek, which will all boil down in the juices and end up in the gravy :)

Think I used enough bacon on the top..?

285919.jpg

285920.jpg

This (along with a bit of butter basting) will keep the breast meat and stuffing nice and moist, and when the turkey is still an hour off being ready and the smell is driving you crazy, you can eat the now crispy bacon as a snack :)

I see your Bacurky and raise you a turkey marinading in a secret* sauce that contains among other things spiced rum, saffron, garlic and star anise - neck cavity is stuffed with a duchess potato mix - no breadcrumbs or sausage meat but does have fresh lime zest, finely chopped shallots, garlic, turmeric, thyme and other stuff.* AND a smoked ham marinading a secret sauce* with dijon mustard, raspberry vinegar, curry powder, honey and other stuff that caught my eye in the spice cupboard a.k.a The Happy Cupboard.

1475919_10152093375244313_904714967_n.jpg

*Can't remember exactly what I put in it to be honest.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I see your Bacurky and raise you a turkey marinading in a secret* sauce that contains among other things spiced rum, saffron, garlic and star anise - neck cavity is stuffed with a duchess potato mix - no breadcrumbs or sausage meat but does have fresh lime zest, finely chopped shallots, garlic, turmeric, thyme and other stuff.*

But no bacon?
    Everything tastes better with bacon on the top.
    Even bacon...

AND a smoked ham marinading a secret sauce* with dijon mustard, raspberry vinegar, curry powder, honey and other stuff that caught my eye in the spice cupboard a.k.a The Happy Cupboard.

Sounds nice, but the other half isn't a huge ham fan so anything other than plain boiling and I'd have to polish the lot off by myself (although if things do get out of hand, I'll be making and freezing a Ham Chunk & Turkey Lump Curry)

*Can't remember exactly what I put in it to be honest.

:pac:
    Bit like mixing up a cocktail out of some random stuff which turns out delicious but you can never quite replicate again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭DominicKid

Galvasean wrote: »

20923614a9672665122l.jpg

oblivious-asshole-award.jpg?w=340

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

kylith wrote: »
    Pics!

And herself on the top

image2_zpscba767e7.jpg

Motuc Sorceress, nice! Not exactly common either!
    DominicKid wrote: »
    oblivious-asshole-award.jpg?w=340

I'd question who the obivious one is tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭smokingman

Galvasean wrote: »

20923614a9672665122l.jpg

You sir, are now on my "rob a house" list....that's some awesome original Transformers you got there! I was always peed off I got Action Force instead....

smokingman wrote: »
    You sir, are now on my "rob a house" list....that's some awesome original Transformers you got there! I was always peed off I got Action Force instead....

On initial look, I'm afraid to say none of them look like G1 transformers. The Jetfire is certainly a classics (the original would cave in a crib!)

On initial look, I'm afraid to say none of them look like G1 transformers. The Jetfire is certainly a classics (the original would cave in a crib!)

Hmmmm, maybe it's the mixed drinking of mulled wine/beer/rum&club that's clouding my vision so. Feeling real hungry looking at that bacon/turkey transformer right now though!

smokingman wrote: »
    Hmmmm, maybe it's the mixed drinking of mulled wine/beer/rum&club that's clouding my vision so. Feeling real hungry looking at that bacon/turkey transformer right now though!

You should definitely transform that one into enrgy right now!

You should definitely transform that one into enrgy right now!

Such hunger, much salivating, so much NOM! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

There's nothing quite like the Father Ted Christmas Special to get you in a festive mood! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

There's nothing quite like the Father Ted Christmas Special to get you in a festive mood! :D
    We're watching it here too!!!

Yes Dermot Morgan was a comedy genius!!!:)
    ... and a very nice person.

... drink!!!!:)

J C wrote: »
    We're watching it here too!!!

Yes Dermot Morgan was a comedy genius!!!:)
    ... and a very nice person.

Even though he was an atheist :)
    Being typecast (twice) as a priest must have seemed rather ironic for him..

I actually think the best acting in Fr Ted was from Frank Kelly. An even more under-appreciated comedy genius, but thankfully still alive (and has a double CD out)

... drink!!!!:)

That sounds like a plan.
    Have a good day J C.

• Advertisement

Atheists can be comedy geniuses ... and nice people too.

I met Dermot and he was a great guy ... still very saddened by his untimely and sudden death - every time I see Fr Ted.
    I actually think the best acting in Fr Ted was from Frank Kelly. An even more under-appreciated comedy genius, but thankfully still alive (and has a double CD out)
    I agree.
    Frank is a great guy too ... I believe that he is a qualified barrister as well as a great actor.
    That sounds like a plan.
    Have a good day J C.
    It is ... I enjoy a few drinks on Christmas Day as its the one day I'm sure I won't be driving later ... Have a good one Ninja.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

In my house we're having free range chicken. If we were trying t save money and got a 6 euro chicken from tesco then fair enough but if we can get free range I dont know why a chicken. Just feels very plain to me. :(

The fact they have to specify its free range just confirms my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

And his 12 days of christmas is fantastic.

In Canada myself for xmas this year and it's tough to be away from family. Cheered me up seeing the trees and nativity :D

Now if I could just have some real bacon!!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    And his 12 days of christmas is fantastic.

In Canada myself for xmas this year and it's tough to be away from family. Cheered me up seeing the trees and nativity :D

Now if I could just have some real bacon!!
    It's one of Frank's best ... I like the way it starts out all 'sweetness and light' ... and ends in pandamonium ... vintage stuff!!!:)

What I miss most when away from Ireland is the sausages and black pudding ... most other 'breakfasts' are either tasteless or else they taste like they have been up sombodies chimney for too long!!:eek::D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

We were actually watching the live at the apollo xmas kinda special last night, in tears laughing at it!

Steak for dinner
    keep your turkey/chickens!

bluewolf wrote: »
    We were actually watching the live at the apollo xmas kinda special last night, in tears laughing at it!

Steak for dinner
    keep your turkey/chickens!
    You can't beat a good stake ... and as far as I'm concerned ... 'stuff' the turkey!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

J C wrote: »
    You can't beat a good stake

You'll need it to kill the undead. :pac:

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You'll need it to kill the undead. :PAC:
    OOPS ... My bad!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Yo yo, ho ho ....hope ye all had a good one folks. Am quite squiffy and still very full up after an enormous buffet style EVERYTHING we usually don't have dinner and a drunken game of Settlers (which my youngest is now scarily good at. Damn) Quoting you here below ninja: Tip for 2014.....freeze the thyme twigs first, then they just strip off all in one go :D
    didn't realise how much of a PITA stripping thyme leaves off the twigs is

• Advertisement

Tip for 2014: go back to dried thyme, nobody will care :pac:

Also - don't buy a turkey that barely fits in the oven (and use a borrowed tray that barely fits in the oven) and then cover it with tons of foil which ends up overhanging the sides, the heat in the oven won't circulate well (gas oven. You might get away with it in a fan oven) and don't believe BBC Food when they tell you you can cook an 8kg turkey in less than five hours at Gas Mark 4 :eek:

After three hours it had barely started cooking. Took the foil off. Turned the gas up a bit later. It was over eight :eek: hours in the oven in the end so just as well we'd started it at 8am!

But it wasn't dry though :) and yeah I did eat the rashers...

Advertisement