Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ah excellent, my favourite thread is back

THIS is your favourite thread? It's not one I created. Or Rob, or Dades? I don't think you really get this Mod thing do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Jernal wrote: »
    THIS is your favourite thread? It's not one I created. Or Rob, or Dades? I don't think you really get this Mod thing do you?

HappLand.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Sarky wrote: »
    Not a whole lot, but for some reason religious folks have this bizarre idea that atheists need to worship him because some of his work came very close to the truth about all life on earth. Crazy, really. Same people seem to think some guy called Dawkins is pope of some other religion, too. There's just no accounting for some of those loons.
    Anyway Sarky, what are you doing, if anything special, for Christmas ... or do you not do Christmas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

J C wrote: »
    [...] or do you not do Christmas?
    Being a good bible-believing "christian", you won't be putting up a tree, will you, JC? I'm asking on account of Jeremiah 10:1-5:
    Hear ye the word which the Lord speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
    Before you answer, remember - your gods' law doesn't change!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could this mean that when children stop believing in Santa ... they will also stop believing in Darwin?

You doubt Darwin existed as a person?
    There's loads of evidence to show Darwin existed,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cabaal wrote: »

I understand he wrote a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Cabaal wrote: »

But he looked like Santa, so if Santa doesn't exist, neither does Darwin.

That seems to be JC's line of "reasoning".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'm certainly extending the hand of friendship ... and seasonal greetings ... whether it is reciprocated is up to Mr P.
    I hate to disappoint you JC, but I really don't think we can be friends. I have many friends, and they are a varied bunch, young and old, highly educated and not not highly educated, male and female, religious and non-religious. Whilst they are many and varied they all have one thing in common, I can respect them.

I can't ever respect you JC, ever. So I'm sorry, but we can't be friends.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

MrPudding wrote: »
    I hate to disappoint you JC, but I really don't think we can be friends. I have many friends, and they are a varied bunch, young and old, highly educated and not not highly educated, male and female, religious and non-religious. Whilst they are many and varied they all have one thing in common, I can respect them.

I can't ever respect you JC, ever. So I'm sorry, but we can't be friends.

MrP

Not even if he had a Scalextric?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

pauldla wrote: »
    Not even if he had a Scalextric?
    Ooh, hadn't thought of that...

MrP

• Advertisement

I'll ask him.

JC, do you have a Scalextric?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

pauldla wrote: »
    I'll ask him.

JC, do you have a Scalextric?

Sure even if he doesn't, Santa can get him one for Christmas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

tricky D wrote: »
    Remind me now please, which festivals was Xmas robbed from?

Serious question, can someone explain this?
    Cheers

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Cheers

Presumably, someone calling themselves tricky D had a question, and posted it on the thread. Won't happen again, boss. :pac:

Are you asking about pre-Christian Christmas traditions?

Cheers

Off hand,
    The whole Christmas tree thing comes from a christian being blasphemous against the god Thor and cutting down Thor's oak.
    In 723, a Christian missionary named Winfrid cut down an oak tree sacred to the god Thor. This action is said to mark the beginning of the Christianization of the Germanic peoples,

So basically he desecrated another gods symbol to convert people.
    Hmm, think we can do this with the christian cross? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Cheers

Sure thing.

Firstly it goes without saying that Jesus wasn't actually born on December 25th. There is no date mentioned in either of the two nativity accounts (neither of which agree) and the details contained in the accounts (e.g. Bethlehem, shepherds etc.) make it unlikely to have occurred in December.

The explanation for Christmas being in December is that Christianity is a syncretic religion. It steamrolls over older religions and incorporates the things that it finds useful. A lot of the stories in the bible, for example are lifted directly from earlier mythological traditions, Babylonian, Sumerian, Egyptian, Greek etc. However, one of the recurring themes of Christianity is taking elements of other religions and recasting them to make them evil or weak. Let's take a few examples.

Ba'al is the name of an old semitic deity whose worship predates Judaism. In fact Baal worshippers would have been a rival religion for the burgeoning Abrahamic tradition. As a result, Baal's full name in the old testament is changed from Ba'al Zabul (lord on high) to Beelzebub (lord of the flies).

In the Old Testament we have the story of Elisha who feeds 100 men with just 20 barley loaves. (2 Kings 4:42-44). The story is retold in the new testament (Matthew 14:13-33, Mark 6:31-52, Luke 9:10-17, John 6:1-21), but this time Jesus feeds an even greater number with even less food.

Christmas is just another Christian rewrite. A lot of previous mythological traditions had a winter celebration e.g. Saturnalia. This tradition originated as a celebration of the triumph of light over dark manifest in the winter solstice. Some of the Christmas customs still practiced (i.e. holly and ivy) reflect these ancient beliefs.

Most of the trappings of what Christians accept as Christianity turn out to have pagan roots of some sort. There is a very good treatment of this in Pagan Christianity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

lazygal wrote: »
    He looks like Santa, my favourite mythical character after god.
    He does ... doesn't he?

So you finally accept the truth that god is mythical, then.

Hallelujiah, we have finally converted JC to the truth. Your bounty is on its way lazygal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think for a lot of people its the now you have to say Happy Holidays incase you offend someone is what grates some people me included. It called Christmas noy Holiday

I think for a lot of people its the now you have to say Happy Holidays incase you offend someone is what grates some people me included. It called Christmas noy Holiday

It's probably got to do with the fact that Christianity isn't the only religion in the world. There are other religions which also have festivals celebrated around the end of December such as Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and at a stretch, Milad un Nabi, so Happy Holidays is a good all-round greeting because it doesn't automatically assume that the person you're wishing well is a Christian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

This annoys me too, sure the christians robbed it from pagen religions but that still means it was a religious holiday (Just a different religion). I always found it odd when atheists say "Oh I'm not celebrating the christian holiday I'm celebrating the pagen religion" (yes I've heard this one!!) Which means your not atheist your Pagen:mad: (although Happy Odinson Day would be awesome:D)

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    It's probably got to do with the fact that Christianity isn't the only religion in the world. There are other religions which also have festivals celebrated around the end of December such as Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and at a stretch, Milad un Nabi, so Happy Holidays is a good all-round greeting because it doesn't automatically assume that the person you're wishing well is a Christian.

I know about the other festivels but I am talking about in a shop where they are selling christmass stuff and have it down as holidays. Used to be only in American but now is here. As for christmas it has come more than a Christian thing. It called Christmass deal with it

I know about the other festivels but I am talking about in a shop where they are selling christmass stuff and have it down as holidays. Used to be only in American but now is here. As for christmas it has come more than a Christian thing. It called Christmass deal with it

Why shouldn't shops cater to non-Christians? Or to people who wish to incorporate different traditions in their winter celebrations?

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Why shouldn't shops cater to non-Christians? Or to people who wish to incorporate different traditions in their winter celebrations?

Nothing at all and have no problem with that but if they are selling Christmass stuff then call it Christmass

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Nothing at all and have no problem with that but if they are selling Christmass stuff then call it Christmass

What's "Christmass" stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

oldrnwisr thanks for the insightful answer and taking my question seriously.
    Interesting stuff, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I've never heard anyone use that American phraseology outside of tv land, a phrase created by christians for use in a christian meaning.

I think it a far more heinous act the way christmas was misappropriated by christians in their forcible and murderous conversion of the northern European pagans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I still say "Merry Christmas" out of habit. "Happy Holidays" sounds very... corporate or something :/

Bet your Christmas cards are like the one's from 30 rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

oldrnwisr thanks for the insightful answer and taking my question seriously.
    Interesting stuff, thanks

He's the man for a lucid, cogent and succinct answer alright.

Advertisement