Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Pre-release Discussion - ***DO NOT POST SPOILERS*** (Mod warning in first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

falan wrote: »
    Great post thanks...

Was this the game you were talking about? One of my fave games ever.

Wow, I thought the graphics were brilliant at the time! Great game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Wow, I thought the graphics were brilliant at the time! Great game!

Same here, until i went searching for this video:).

I had the whole series.

I wish they would make another game.

Yep, that's the one! I used to love playing that game, but I can never remember the name of it. :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well I can only speak for myself, but GTA is quite literally the only game I play. I have a copy of WWE SvR 2009 for 360 sitting on the shelf, too, but it was played for a week or two when it first came out and then forgotten about.

For me, I like GTA because there's no real end to the amounts of random stuff you can do, and you don't have to do any of it (a big appeal to me). I never really was too fond of games where you're going through a level at a time and you just have to do X and Y correctly to complete it.

First person shooters bore the pants off me, for example, because it's just the same thing over and over and over again (I realise these games become more popular in online multiplayer these days, but I'm not a big online gamer).

I also hate having to repeat levels or missions because I didn't do something right.

Admittedly, all of this stuff is in GTA too, but I generally view the missions as secondary to the city when I get the games. I usually fly through the first few missions (to unlock the second part of the city) and it's free roam from there for me (until I start missions again for the third part of the level).

So that'd be why I enjoy it.

I remember there was a 3rd person shooter game for PS2, where you could make a team of four soldiers, and you had to get through the level, but you could really do it however you wanted to. It was free roam, but with an end-point. I liked that game, too (can't remember the name of it, it was mostly desert based.. i think desert may have been in the name, actually?).

Free roam games are just, in my opinion, generally more fun to play and more enjoyable. Constant instructions or do this, now do that, now go there, congrats you completed the game just doesn't do it for me at all. :o

My problem is with people who only play one game ad infinitum and have no idea about gaming in general. Hence the random posters with their free roam questions. They made no effort to read about the game before asking. They made no effort to read any of the thread. They made no effort to respond to the replies they got. That was it. "Is this free roam?", gone. It seems they won't even consider anything different and have no interest in engaging.

When MW2 came out and used steamworks there were loads wondering what this steam thing was! Because all they do it play the current awful iteration until the next ****tier one comes out. One of the great things about Steam is picking up a game on a sale and being pleasantly taken by surprise.

And these people are the apparent masses everyone complains about as being the ones leading game design down a brown, scripted, manshoot tunnel or some empty sandbox like Prototype.

Not all games are as narrowly objective based as most modern shooters.
    Have you seen the ARMA games? Massive maps with dynamic gameplay. You can create your own missions, download new terrain, someone made a huge chunk of Sligo. The DayZ mod for it has completely taken everyone by surprise and has redefined free roam.

Portal 2 has endless possibilities with a amazingly simple level editor. It's also one of the best written games you'll ever encounter.
    Oblivion/Fallout3/Skyrim have a huge open worlds you can explore.
    The Assassin's Creed games give you historical cities to climb all over.
    Just Cause 2 is a beautifully insane huge tropical country that dwarfs GTA.
    Saint's Row, obviously.
    L.A. Noire, for all it's faults, has a spectacular rendition of 40's L.A..
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a remarkably vibrant but terrifying open world.
    Even the experimental Dear Esther just lets you wander around a beautiful island.

There are so many amazing worlds to explore in games. This is why I'm annoyed when I hear someone say that all they play is CoD, FIFA and GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

If I was Rockstar I would release new info on GTA 5 on the Monday after E3 for sh1t and giggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Jester252 wrote: »
    If I was Rockstar I would release new info on GTA 5 on the Monday after E3 for sh1t and giggles

New iphone news and gta 5 news? That would be epic for me.

5uspect wrote: »
    My problem is with people who only play one game ad infinitum and have no idea about gaming in general. Hence the random posters with their free roam questions. They made no effort to read about the game before asking. They made no effort to read any of the thread. They made no effort to respond to the replies they got. That was it. "Is this free roam?", gone. It seems they won't even consider anything different and have no interest in engaging.

When MW2 came out and used steamworks there were loads wondering what this steam thing was! Because all they do it play the current awful iteration until the next ****tier one comes out. One of the great things about Steam is picking up a game on a sale and being pleasantly taken by surprise.

And these people are the apparent masses everyone complains about as being the ones leading game design down a brown, scripted, manshoot tunnel or some empty sandbox like Prototype.

Not all games are as narrowly objective based as most modern shooters.
    Have you seen the ARMA games? Massive maps with dynamic gameplay. You can create your own missions, download new terrain, someone made a huge chunk of Sligo. The DayZ mod for it has completely taken everyone by surprise and has redefined free roam.

Portal 2 has endless possibilities with a amazingly simple level editor. It's also one of the best written games you'll ever encounter.
    Oblivion/Fallout3/Skyrim have a huge open worlds you can explore.
    The Assassin's Creed games give you historical cities to climb all over.
    Just Cause 2 is a beautifully insane huge tropical country that dwarfs GTA.
    Saint's Row, obviously.
    L.A. Noire, for all it's faults, has a spectacular rendition of 40's L.A..
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a remarkably vibrant but terrifying open world.
    Even the experimental Dear Esther just lets you wander around a beautiful island.

There are so many amazing worlds to explore in games. This is why I'm annoyed when I hear someone say that all they play is CoD, FIFA and GTA.

You see, the thing is, you'd need to have an interest to play them.

LA Noire I've actually played (not for long though, felt it got tedious fairly quickly. Amazing facial recognition technology, but just too much of the same thing for me, which I know may sound hypocritical seen as I just said I only really play one game series).

Saint's Row I'm familiar with, but the game doesn't bode well with me. I don't care too much for the random over the topness of it. Fun for 20 minutes, but then it's stale. I think Rockstar manage to find the right balance to make the game playable indefinitely, without making it so in your face that it makes you tired of it.

I'm aware Assassin's Creed is free roam, but I also believe it's set in the days of Aladdin, where, although you can do what you want, there's actually very limited choice within that? That is, there's no driving or such? He's like a ye olde Spiderman as far as I'm aware (I don't really know anything about the game, though, to be honest. Basing this on small video clips or screenshots).

I thought Oblivion, Portal, Just Cause, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout and Skyrim were all first person shooters, to be honest? I've heard of all of those games, but I haven't heard of them being fun to just relax back with. They all seem like they'd be fairly tense games to play?

I used to play Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell, and found them a bit of fun for a while, but again, got fed up with them being too scripted (for lack of a better word). You must do X and Y at precise times or start the level again. On top of that, they have complex storylines and characters and each level is an hour long so you can't just pick-up-and-play as you can with GTA.

Used to really enjoy Age of Empires and Theme Park and Rollercoaster Tycoon and such, too. But again, all games that you must set aside a fair amount of time for.

That said, I do have some free time coming up. So I picked up GTA IV: Episodes from Liberty City, and my PC can run it (at pretty low settings, but still... it can do it) and I also picked up that wireless Microsoft dongle-y thing that lets you use the 360 Joypad on the PC. So if you know of any decent (and very cheap! :D ) games out there that you'd recommend I'd be very curious to try some.

I've no idea what Steam is though. I've heard the name a lot. Some kind of microsoft/PC online shop for games, as far as I am lead to believe, that also allows you to play online?

You see, the thing is, you'd need to have an interest to play them.

LA Noire I've actually played (not for long though, felt it got tedious fairly quickly. Amazing facial recognition technology, but just too much of the same thing for me, which I know may sound hypocritical seen as I just said I only really play one game series).

L.A. Noire is a but dull alright, but there's not much stopping you hopping in a car and driving about. It's at the other end of the spectrum from Saint's Row with GTA in the middle. You can't really mow down civilians or cause mayhem.
    I'm aware Assassin's Creed is free roam, but I also believe it's set in the days of Aladdin, where, although you can do what you want, there's actually very limited choice within that? That is, there's no driving or such? He's like a ye olde Spiderman as far as I'm aware (I don't really know anything about the game, though, to be honest. Basing this on small video clips or screenshots).

The first is set during the crusades. You can explore Jerusalem, Damascus etc. The second (and expansions) are set in Renaissance Italy. The third will be set in the US during the American Revolution. You have a horse, and you can free run across the rooftops and through the streets. You're much more mobile on foot than in GTA.

I thought Oblivion, Portal, Just Cause, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout and Skyrim were all first person shooters, to be honest? I've heard of all of those games, but I haven't heard of them being fun to just relax back with. They all seem like they'd be fairly tense games to play?

Oblivion and Skyrim are RPGs which are part of the Elder Scrolls series.
    You can switch between first and third person view. They're set in a huge fantasy world not unlike Lord of the Rings. No cars, but you can fly dragons in Skyrim. You can create a character roam about being nice or a total ****. Fallout 3 is similar but unlike the previous games is set in the Fallout universe. This is a post apocalyptic world like Mad Max with lots of nods to the 50's.

Both games give you a lot of choice. They're less scripted, if you let someone die then they're dead, you don't have to repeat it, the story goes on. You can just run about the world ignoring the main story chatting to random people doing quests or fighting monsters.

Just Cause is a thrid person sandbox exactly like GTA but much bigger. It also have a clever grapple weapon. It's not tense at all, it's pretty silly actually.

Yes, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a first person shooter. But it's a huge open world and one of the most terrifying experiences you can have on a PC. It's also heavily mod supported so you can add vehicles, misery (yes there's a misery mod) and probably even third person view. This game is the literal embodiment of the "in Soviet Russia" meme.

Though probably more of a time sink and is very, very tense.

Portal and Portal 2 are short fun games. They're first person but they're puzzle games and not shooters. They're made by Valve, probably the best PC developer out there and are considered two of the finest games ever made.

I used to play Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell, and found them a bit of fun for a while, but again, got fed up with them being too scripted (for lack of a better word). You must do X and Y at precise times or start the level again. On top of that, they have complex storylines and characters and each level is an hour long so you can't just pick-up-and-play as you can with GTA.

Assassin's Creed would be more like this, you should check out RPGs like those above perhaps.
    Used to really enjoy Age of Empires and Theme Park and Rollercoaster Tycoon and such, too. But again, all games that you must set aside a fair amount of time for.
    Have a look at the Sims and the new SimCity. The Tropico games are also great fun.
    That said, I do have some free time coming up. So I picked up GTA IV: Episodes from Liberty City, and my PC can run it (at pretty low settings, but still... it can do it) and I also picked up that wireless Microsoft dongle-y thing that lets you use the 360 Joypad on the PC. So if you know of any decent (and very cheap! :D ) games out there that you'd recommend I'd be very curious to try some.

What do you want to do in your games? Do you just want brief mayhem in a 3D sandbox world? Would you consider novel 2D games like Braid or Limbo? Would a clever 3D platform puzzler like Psychonauts interest you? Do you like point and click adventures like Grim Fandango or Botanicula? Do you like puzzle games? SpaceChem for example. Would dungeon crawlers like Diablo or Torchlight interest you? Would you like to play online?
    I've no idea what Steam is though. I've heard the name a lot. Some kind of microsoft/PC online shop for games, as far as I am lead to believe, that also allows you to play online?

Steam is a content delivery system, like itunes but for games run by Valve Software. It originally was used to deliver Half-Life 2 back in 2004 but has grown to be the largest and most successful platform for PC games.

They do crazy sales a few times a year, most notably at Christmas where you could get all the GTA games for €5! You use the steam client to buy, download and launch the games. The games are tied to your account and not your PC. Steam is probably the biggest thing to happen to PC gaming in the last 10 years.

It has a store, online game servers and services, a social network and forums for each game. There are thousands of games on Steam now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Christ, I too only play a handful of games these days partly because I'm getting too old to spend much time playing games and partly because there are many things in life other than playing video games. I've never seen anyone get so worked up by other people only dipping their toe in the gaming world and playing a few titles. Hilarious.

Christ, I too only play a handful of games these days partly because I'm getting too old to spend much time playing games and partly because there are many things in life other than playing video games. I've never seen anyone get so worked up by other people only dipping their toe in the gaming world and playing a few titles. Hilarious.

The horror of discussing games on a gaming discussion forum?

• Advertisement

The horror of discussing games on a gaming discussion forum?

What? That comment makes no sense to me I'm afraid. You've said you get annoyed by those who only play a handful of popular titles. I'm suggesting you relax a little. Live and let live.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

So, GTA V yeah........................................................

What? That comment makes no sense to me I'm afraid. You've said you get annoyed by those who only play a handful of popular titles. I'm suggesting you relax a little. Live and let live.

You're confusing enthusiasm for annoyance. I said that there is a general annoyance, amongst gamers, with people who only play a single game type or game over and over again with no interest in gaming as a medium or how this affects the direction gaming is going.

My subsequent posts discuss how there so many other great games, with great experiences, that people should check out and I provided a few examples. The person who only plays CoD or FIFA or Halo is a gaming stereotype. It's not something you actually see someone say.

This is an major topic in gaming and this is a gaming forum, for discussion of games. In the total absence of any news on GTA V is it not worth stirring a debate on why people play such a game for hundreds of hours irrespective of the story and everything else in the game?

Will the direction Rockstar have taken in recent games affect how they approach GTA V? Will they respond to the criticism of IV by making the game more realistic, or more over the top? Will they opt for a more emotive story like RDR? Will the remove the bro dates, TV stations, internet? Do the people who play it endlessly actually care? Is all of this then a waste of development time for R*?

Is this the wrong kind of discussion? Would you rather: OMG, I loik to murder the hookers with a screwdriver LOL>

You're confusing enthusiasm for annoyance. I said that there is a general annoyance, amongst gamers, with people who only play a single game type or game over and over again with no interest in gaming as a medium or how this affects the direction gaming is going.

Not to labour the point but you expressly said above that you get annoyed! I guess you'll just have to accept that not everybody that plays video games wants to be regarded as a 'gamer' and has the enthusiasm that you obviously do. For a lot of people it's just a bit of fun to pass the time every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭moesyzlak

anyone know if its likely to come out on pc the same date as consoles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Fair play to 5uspect for doing that post out. Everyone has their hobbies and it is a gaming forum after all.

Anyway back to GTAV. RELEASE A ****ING TEASER ALREADY!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Anyone that believes this is coming out on current generation consoles are delusional - I don't want to piss on anyone's parade, I'm looking forward to the title too but let's put all our cards on the table here...

GTA4 was announced a year and half before the final release date. Last Novembers teaser would tie in nicely with a 2013 release as developers and studios have ALREADY DISCLOSED THAT THEY WILL NO LONGER BE WORKING ON CONTENT FOR CURRENT GEN TECH AFTER MID-2013. With this in mind, anything that is not already in deep stages of development at this point in time will not see the light of day on 360 or PS3. E3 showcased a lot of games for future platforms as well which cements the claim that this generations consoles are now winding down.

With new hardware coming autumn/winter 2013 (this has been confirmed), no development studio in their right mind are going to invest huge amounts of finance and labour into a product that will be given less than a years lifespan. A blockbuster title like Grand Theft Auto 5 will be held back and used like other mega-titles as an incentive to upgrade to next gen machines putting a pretty penny in Sony and Microsofts pockets. Forget about the availability on 360 and PS3 info on the trailer - people are missing the point here - check a little deeper. The small writing says "subject to changes" nevertheless, what is to stop it being released in 2013 for 360 and PS3? It doesn't mean that they won't wait until the new hardware to release it anyway. A bit like Fifa...when 360 came out, Fifa continued to be released for the old XB.

Let's be honest with ourselves because a lot of people here are building themselves up for disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    Anyone that believes this is coming out on current generation consoles are delusional - I don't want to piss on anyone's parade, I'm looking forward to the title too but let's put all our cards on the table here...

GTA4 was announced a year and half before the final release date. Last Novembers teaser would tie in nicely with a 2013 release as developers and studios have ALREADY DISCLOSED THAT THEY WILL NO LONGER BE WORKING ON CONTENT FOR CURRENT GEN TECH AFTER MID-2013. With this in mind, anything that is not already in deep stages of development at this point in time will not see the light of day on 360 or PS3. E3 showcased a lot of games for future platforms as well which cements the claim that this generations consoles are now winding down.

With new hardware coming autumn/winter 2013 (this has been confirmed), no development studio in their right mind are going to invest huge amounts of finance and labour into a product that will be given less than a years lifespan. A blockbuster title like Grand Theft Auto 5 will be held back and used like other mega-titles as an incentive to upgrade to next gen machines putting a pretty penny in Sony and Microsofts pockets. Forget about the availability on 360 and PS3 info on the trailer - people are missing the point here - check a little deeper. The small writing says "subject to changes" nevertheless, what is to stop it being released in 2013 for 360 and PS3? It doesn't mean that they won't wait until the new hardware to release it anyway. A bit like Fifa...when 360 came out, Fifa continued to be released for the old XB.

Let's be honest with ourselves because a lot of people here are building themselves up for disappointment.
    Wasnt San Andreas released about a year before PS3/360 came out? That didnt sell too badly. Rockstar culd put it out on PS1 and it would still sell millions, along with millions of second hand PS1's. Rockstar wont give a crap about the consoles, the game is going to be massive either way. Plus, they have been working on this for about 4 years now, do you really expect them to just scrap it and start over for different software? Also the fact that they would be lowering their potential audiance by a hell of a lot if they waited for the NextGen colsoles.

Your theroy would only make sense if they were only starting on it now. They arent. They have to be a decent amount of the way done by now. Re-starting for different software isnt an option. If it were, they would have held back on SA until the PS3 and 360 were released.

moesyzlak wrote: »
    nope

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

As gnfnrhead already pointed out, you seem to be assuming that they haven't been working on this game for a time already. IIRC, last IV DLC was released in 2009. So that's at least 2-3 years of work that could and probably has already gone into the game. So assuming a Q1-Q2 2013 release isn't delusional.

They would be stupid to release on the next gen consoles. Releasing on current gen tech would mean they'd maximise the sales figures. They won't give a sh1t about trying to shift PS4/Xbox720's, they'll want to make as much profit as they can, which would be done by releasing on 360 and PS3.

And I highly doubt that the next generation of consoles will be released in 2013 (I don't count Wii U as next gen, because... well... it's not) anyway or else we would have at least seen something at E3 or GDC this year, so your entire argument is nonsensical.

• Advertisement

Still hoping for a 2012 release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And I highly doubt that the next generation of consoles will be released in 2013 (I don't count Wii U as next gen, because... well... it's not) anyway or else we would have at least seen something at E3 or GDC this year, so your entire argument is nonsensical.

Guaranteed you're not going to see this or Half-Life 3 until next gen. I'm going with Q3/4 2013. Mark your calendar. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Guaranteed you're not going to see this or Half-Life 3 until next gen. I'm going with Q3/4 2013. Mark your calendar. :D

I won't bother marking the calendar, but I'll bookmark your post for when you're proved wrong. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

The last time Rockstar announced details on the next GTA 5 info, they said development was at 87% completion. I seriously doubt they'll risk all this hype since November and delay it by nearly 2 years.

GTA SA was released in Q3/4 2004, the xbox 360 was released just over a year later. I'm confodent we'll have more info by the end of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The trailer clearly shows current gen graphics, it's a nicely improved version of the GTA4/Red Dead engine. It'll be out by the years end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

The trailer clearly shows current gen graphics, it's a nicely improved version of the GTA4/Red Dead engine. It'll be out by the years end.

good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

As has already be said, they are clearly using the same engine as GTAIV, so it won't be a next gen game.

Furthermore, Q3/Q4 2013 would pretty much make it a launch title. GTA will never be a launch title for any console. It would drastically impact sales, would be a huge risk not getting familiar with new tech (remember the first game released this gen using the RAGE engine, Rockstar's engine, was Rockstar Presents Table Tennis) plus it's a multi-platform game, you can't guarantee that both the new Xbox & PS will be out next year.

As for Half Life 3, that is and always will be a PC game :pac: Plus, it's episode 3 we are waiting on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

@5uspect that was a brilliant post, i'd be like yourself i play a wide variety of games, i've played more or less every game you mentioned bar Portal and Stalker, quick question, is Stalker on the xbox? It looks like my kind of game, i'd love to give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

If you're so confident, I'll put a bet on with you...

If GTA V is released on PS3/360, you donate €50 to a charity of my choosing. If it's not, I'll do likewise to a charity of your choice.

• Advertisement

5uspect, I've skimmed through your post but didn't get a chance to take a decent look at it (it's 6am and I'm just about to get into bed). I'll get back to you about it tomorrow with a decent reply. Small bit of Fallout video I watched looked good, though :)

moesyzlak wrote: »

They (R*) posted on their newswire that they were pleased with getting the PC release of Max Payne so close to the console release and they plan to "close that gap" in future. So I'd imagine it'll be a somewhat similar timeframe again.

Someone found this in Max Payne. It's a cheque/appointment slip I think, for plastic surgery to be performed. Anyway, the only underlined words on it are GTA V and then the date Oct. 15th. I think we have a winner!

qvOZB.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement