Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards hill Climb Challenge: 05/11/11 Start 09:00

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Slieve Mann
    Do you mean start at the roundabout intersecting Taylor's Lane? I don't think that's a great idea, it only makes the route a small bit longer but introduces a right turn (onto Scholarstown Rd) which could be tricky or unfair if some riders had to stop there due to traffic.

Not from there, just where it actually becomes Stocking Lane and really starts climbing and then an extra few km on the end, I can't remember in my head where the climbing really stops but I have the picture in my mind and it is a bit further than the strava link, maybe an extra 3 km.
    wouldn't object to continuing past the viewpoint. The peak of the climb is well before Gencree though, and it's quite level and exposed to the wind for a long while. I'm not sure if extending it to this point adds much tbh.

Probably to the viewpoint then, I'll put up a route when I get home, work computer is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

Stocking Lane
    Hard to see too many more votes on date coming in before the morning which, unfortunately for me, rules me out for taking part. Can we get a definitive course posted before the weekend? Give me something to go and do on my own!

Slieve Mann
    BHC2011.jpg

Is this too short? We can meet in the car park beside the roundabout and head straight up for the car park near the top of the climb? Short at 4.5km but gives a chance for you to put everything in.

The other option was a 14km TT as far as here from the same starting point:

BHC2011long.jpg

People who know the area better are welcome to put up alternative suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The 4.5km route gets my vote, though I am happy to give either a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Stocking Lane
    If it's a hill challenge then the shorter route fits the bill better IMHO.

Unless you extend the longer route so it continues up Powerscourt Mountain and on to the top of Kippure. Just to make it interesting like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

the 4.5km seems good and the carpark at top makes good waiting area.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

4.5km sounds good. Just after the roundabout at the start seems to have a layby with a speed ramp that could be the start line.

Finish line options. Imaginary line crossing road from gap in wall to entrance to car park on right hand side of road:

street view

Or a little farther up the road at an imaginary line across the road from the Glencullen road sign on the left to the car park entrance on the right.

streev view

Also has some nice grass to collapse into :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The real question is whether it's a TT or a hill climb challenge? :)

I can push myself for the amount of time needed to get up Stocking Lane, but that's a pretty hardcore 14km, I don't know if I could sustain serious effort over that course.

Although I would like to go from Scholarstown Road, the junction isn't big and that section of the road can be busy. So it might just be more of a headache than is necessary trying to have everyone standing around in the way and waiting for a break in the traffic.

The roundabout at the top of Stocking Avenue means that we lose one part of the climb, but there's tonnes of room there and a lot less traffic.
    I don't know if that car park will be open on the day, but there's plenty of room without it.

As I am no doubt the person living closest to this, it would be rude of me not to join in. Though I've just uploaded everything to Strava and realised that I haven't actually ridden Stocking Lane with my Garmin before, so I've no idea how far behind I'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I agree with Seamus, the roundabout after stocking avenue (just after the m50 flyover) would be the easiest and safest place to start the TT, there is ample off road space for many to stand around.

I say it should be run to view point, I don't know if I could go flat out all the way to glencree or over the gap. Althought there are tea and scones in glencree, if ever there was motivation......

Actually, if we are still voting I'll give my vote to Dana the 5th! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Dana OMG

• Advertisement

Slieve Mann
    maloner wrote: »
    Finish line options. Imaginary line crossing road from gap in wall to entrance to car park on right hand side of road:

We will go for the 4.5 km option, that gives anyone who isn't out for a full day spin or has other commitments a chance to get back.

If we get someone to volunteer to be at the finish line then we can use anything as the finish line as they can take the time and then the rider can wait till its safe to cross over. If no one can do this then i suggest the lay by, beside the left turn. You can then record your time and quickly walk back onto the pavement out of the people chasing you up the hill. I don't want anyone attempting to cross over/turn right at the finish in case they are tempted to do something silly in front of a car.

Any other suggetions are welcome, I may leave a mark down at the end as a finish line.

The 5th or 6th have won out, so we can leave voting open till the weekend for that as the 30th isn't going to catch up. Sorry to all those who can't make it, maybe you can record your own times on Strava and post them (you can't win the challenge though). I'll post up the final decision on Saturday morning before heading out for the Dying Light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g0g

Slieve Mann
    I've been on Boards a year or so now and have gotten loads of help/advice without contributing a whole lot! Would be glad to help out with this on the day if there's value to be had in someone being up the top from the start? I'd be happy to drive up there earlier on with the bike, spin down the hill and fly (HA!) back up, taking my own time! I doubt I'll be at the top of the rankings and can just set a time for everyone to beat! :)

Are there enough people doing this thing for it to be worth my while? Seem to be a fair few votes anyway! I could bring water / snacks / prize or something if that helps and take times. Sure let me know! I guess someone could call my mobile from the start and then I'd know when to start timer.

g0g wrote: »
    I've been on Boards a year or so now and have gotten loads of help/advice without contributing a whole lot! Would be glad to help out with this on the day if there's value to be had in someone being up the top from the start? I'd be happy to drive up there earlier on with the bike, spin down the hill and fly (HA!) back up, taking my own time! I doubt I'll be at the top of the rankings and can just set a time for everyone to beat! :)

Are there enough people doing this thing for it to be worth my while? Seem to be a fair few votes anyway! I could bring water / snacks / prize or something if that helps and take times. Sure let me know! I guess someone could call my mobile from the start and then I'd know when to start timer.

I might be able to fall in with you on this (I will not be fast anyway) so I could do the same and I also have a bottle or 2 that I can feck in the pool for prizes gOg .

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

So this is the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

9 Diarmuid Collins Mon, Aug 01, 2011 10.1 mph 68 bpm

Somebodys got a very fit heart :P

Slieve Mann

Or a really dodgy HRM :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Looks like I wasn't wearing a HRM but for some reason strava sees it as a flat HR. Look at the performance tab,

So what time will win this you lot reckon:D or more to the point what time will be last

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

So this is on the 6th? Pity - it clashes with a CX race. On the 30th, Mel and I would have turned up. Funny looking at strava - I never did that climb from the starting location - I usually start a bit further up the road.

Jesus its a hard climb I did it today(just to see could I do it LOL)

• Advertisement

Slieve Mann
    Carpenter wrote: »
    So what time will win this you lot reckon:D or more to the point what time will be last

I'd expect the winning time to be about just under 10 minutes, last place to be about 22minutes.

Honestly know idea but the best bit about a short course is there a huge amount of time you could be hanging around for.

10 minutes that's mental

Slieve Mann
    10 minutes that's mental

No idea what my own time is/will be but I know I can pull off an average of 15kph, so I'm calling mine at 20 minutes, its only 4.5kph, and hearing the talk from some, 10 minutes will mean a speed of 27kph, tough but not impossible.

I did it today in 18mins feck its hard

Slieve Mann
    I did it today in 18mins feck its hard

Better than me though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hah, maybe I'll pop over and do it tomorrow. Been a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Cram Cycle...the Dying Light, DCM and the hill climb, all in a week...fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

If anyone wants to give me and my two bikes a lift I'll do it geared then fixed :D

My vote goes for the 6th anyway

If anyone wants to give me and my two bikes a lift I'll do it geared then fixed :D

My vote goes for the 6th anyway

AAAAAAAAA strap the second 1 to your back (It will be no bother to you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just my 2 cents.

A lot of clubs do their weekly training run on a Sunday, would it not make more sense to have this on the 5th, then people can do this and still do their club run.

Advertisement