Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards hill Climb Challenge: 05/11/11 Start 09:00

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's OK, he put a smiley at the end, you can say anything you want when you put a smiley at the end :pac:
    No you can't - Captain Havoc banned :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

So what is the story here where and when I'm to old for you lot but will be to happy to go and laugh cheer you lot on .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Carpenter wrote: »
    So what is the story here where and when I'm to old for you lot but will be to happy to go and laugh cheer you lot on .
    You're never too old - in fact you are only a youngster compared to some around here ...

Time and place to be decided - this thread is trying to narrow down the option and CramCycle will put up a poll when we have an appropriate shortlist

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Link is to your profile rather than a route.
    Should be fixed now, wrong security setting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's OK, he put a smiley at the end, you can say anything you want when you put a smiley at the end :pac:

I know Stocking Lane, and where it is, I merely wanted an idea of the length and gradients we might be talking about. Stocking lane as a title for a climb is open to alot of interpretation.

Beating a hasty retreat as I have no chance of besting the Cotn on the climb :)*

* Smiley makes it all ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

stocking lane is good choice, easy to get to and a good test for tt, descent by cruagh road is lovely piece of road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭g0g

Slieve Mann
    Some random Strava stats attached showing climbs not too far from Dublin! how come Kilmashogue Lane hasn't been mentioned? That's a tough one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Slieve Mann
    Anyway Poll is up, we can hammer out the fine print through reasonable discussion over the next 2/3 days.

The available dates are the 30th October or the 5/6th November. If everyone interested could put it in a post which they want (if you already have then no need to again). I will just count through the posts and post up the decision in a day or so.

Fizzy drink for the loser, winners prize to be decided but I'll post up what it will be in time. Tea and coffee will be provided by myself, cake bringers are welcome.

Slieve Mann
    g0g wrote: »
    Some random Strava stats attached showing climbs not too far from Dublin! how come Kilmashogue Lane hasn't been mentioned? That's a tough one!

It s in the poll as it is very close to my house

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

voted for stocking lane there, ease of access i guess. and 30th october please!

have a wedding the friday before so i can have my excuses for a poor performance in early too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

5th November would get my vote.

Slieve Mann
    Just for my own notes, the dates poll is as follows:
    30/10: 2 votes
    5/11: 3 votes
    6/11: 4 votes

I am not voting myself as any of these days is fine for me, I'll be hung over no matter which one it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

What sort of time are we thinking as that may make a difference to the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭g0g

Slieve Mann
    funkyjebus wrote: »
    What sort of time are we thinking as that may make a difference to the day?
    Think I'm easy enough on day if it's an early start (08:30!?) and if hybrid bikes are welcome and if everyone's prepared to wait for me!

Slieve Mann
    g0g wrote: »
    Think I'm easy enough on day if it's an early start (08:30!?) and if hybrid bikes are welcome and if everyone's prepared to wait for me!

All bikes are welcome, I will possibly bring my single speed depending on the climb chosen, haven't thought about the time TBH, suggestions welcome, I presume we'd get the first person started around 9 or 10? I have no idea, I can barely organise myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

9 or 10 seems reasonable, not first out (touches nose). Really, a single speed and stocking lane, oh my.

Either the 5th or the 6th is good for me.
    Although if the weather is good this Sunday (we should have a far idea by Wed), maybe we should really try and get this going. Could you imagine doing the tt in tonights weather, the water would be running down the road like a stream!

Slieve Mann
    9 or 10 seems reasonable, not first out (touches nose). Really, a single speed and stocking lane, oh my.

Either the 5th or the 6th is good for me.
    Although if the weather is good this Sunday (we should have a far idea by Wed), maybe we should really try and get this going. Could you imagine doing the tt in tonights weather, the water would be running down the road like a stream!

If the weather dies down a bit I'll give it a lash on Thursday evening (I'll be a coward and gear down though), if its plausible after that I'll definitely do it but if not I will be on my beast of a comuter bike (the one with the shifters, gears and all that).

The Shame:
    I'll drop from my typical 98 inches down to 70 inches :eek:

Slieve Mann

We'll have first out decided by straws on the morning, start at nine then, I'll hang on till last to give any late comers chance to jump in on the end. If there was a volunteer to meet us at the end that would be great but if not we wil do it by the honour system (basically only the first person there can cheat :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Sounds good folks. Count me in until I can't get out of bed in time to make it over!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

enjoy, too far away for my lazy bones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

So are we going to tie this down to a def
    date/time and has anyone got a rope to get me up this hill:D

Slieve Mann
    1 Could you imagine doing the tt in tonights weather, the water would be running down the road like a stream!

Last night was awesome, the rain died down before I finished work so the roads were empty and it was reasonably warm.
    Carpenter wrote: »
    So are we going to tie this down to a def
    date/time and has anyone got a rope to get me up this hill:D

At the minute it is looking like the 6th but I will let people continue to post their preferences until this evening and then I will lock the poll and announce the date/time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

My vote goes to Stocking Lane on the 6th Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I could be up for doing Stocking Lane on the 30th... I'll be cycling in sunny Malta the following weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Stocking Lane
    I could be up for doing Stocking Lane on the 30th... I'll be cycling in sunny Malta the following weekend :)

Will you be bringing your triple? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

nah, just some suncream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

seamus wrote: »
    The quickest time up Stocking lane would probably be in the region of 20 minutes, which is still a long time pushing yourself in the saddle.

Here is the Strava segment labelled "Stocking Lane Full". Fastest time on there is 16:08, which is pretty quick (though I've known at least 2 people to go a further kilometre or two beyond that point and still come in under that time - it tired me out just watching them!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Stocking Lane
    doozerie wrote: »
    Here is the Strava segment labelled "Stocking Lane Full". Fastest time on there is 16:08, which is pretty quick (though I've known at least 2 people to go a further kilometre or two beyond that point and still come in under that time - it tired me out just watching them!).

16:08!

ouch. I may have to stay at home and hide that day.

Slieve Mann

Basically the route I had in mind, but maybe make ours slightly longer, start at the junction at Boden Park and finish at the layby near Glencree or is that 2 long.

Anyway Stocking Lane has one :( so I am closing the poll. I'll decide on the final date after work tonight, so you have until first thing in the morning to post your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

CramCycle wrote: »
    Basically the route I had in mind, but maybe make ours slightly longer, start at the junction at Boden Park and finish at the layby near Glencree or is that 2 long.

Do you mean start at the roundabout intersecting Taylor's Lane? I don't think that's a great idea, it only makes the route a small bit longer but introduces a right turn (onto Scholarstown Rd) which could be tricky or unfair if some riders had to stop there due to traffic.

I wouldn't object to continuing past the viewpoint. The peak of the climb is well before Gencree though, and it's quite level and exposed to the wind for a long while. I'm not sure if extending it to this point adds much tbh.

That was me :) I think that time will be easily beaten - there's loads of fast climbers on Strava who haven't posted a time for Stocking Lane.

Advertisement