Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards hill Climb Challenge: 05/11/11 Start 09:00

Options
  • 23-10-2011 10:31pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Start Time: 09:00
    Date: 05/11/11
    Finish: The viewing point
    Prizes: Bidons (2), Jameson Bottle (1), Beanie cap (if I can find my spare one), mystery prize (1)
    Extras: Tea and Coffee with biscuits/cake (no guarantees on biscuits or cake but the hot drinks are definitely there)
    Warnings: This is not affiliated with anyone and as such, you do this at your own risk, any insurance is your own

Following on from the uptake in interest in a Boards Hill climb challenge, i think I am going to go ahead and press on with getting one organised provided there is sufficient interest.

The two big issues are date and route. For the date I am going to run with a
    Weekend in the next 3 weeks, preference for me is the 30th but if not then the 5th/6th of November, any later and it would have to be postponed ill next year.

I will be adding in a poll tomorrow night based on suggestions for the route but I'll start off with my suggestions:

Red Lane

Mount Leinster/Nine stones

Stocking Lane/Powerscourt

I will provide Tea and Coffee for anyone who turns up.

My preference is for Stocking Lane/Powerscourt as Mount Leinster is a bit far away, Red Lane is my second choice as the start of the climb is incredible.

Also suggestions on rules etc are welcome, i was thinking of a time delay set off, one rider every 2 minutes, with either someone waiting at the end or a sheet at the end signed by the finishers, the first there will be trusted to be honest. The other option is I could leave tags or a stamp at one end and it could be a back and forth run?

Suggestions/Donations for/of cheap/free prizes are also welcome!

Which climb for the next Boards Hill Climb Challenge? 9 votes

Kilmashogue Lane
    0%
    Slieve Mann
    55%
    Raambad2daboneSerialComplaintCramCycleg0g 5 votes
    Red Lane
    0%
    Shay Elliott
    0%
    Slaughter Hill
    0%
    Stocking Lane
    44%
    bad2dabonePlastikdexsandaragh_ 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm not cycling at the moment but when ye decide on a date if I can get a loan of a car I'll drive over and lend a hand.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

Stocking Lane
    30th gets my vote.

Another hill to add to add to the mix is Slaughter Hill, from Newtownmountmentalville to Roundwood

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I'm interested if it's on the 5th/6th Nov. Stocking Lane would get my vote as it's near to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

5th or 6th would be best for me as I am away for the 30th, and as I will be propping up the table I will be making the rest of ye look better!

Edit: and stocking lane due to ease of access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Note the Dying Light 200 is on the 29th if that's a problem...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Slieve Mann
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Note the Dying Light 200 is on the 29th if that's a problem...

I'm out for it, pretty flat but kingscourt will be a nice warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Plastik wrote: »
    30th gets my vote.

Another hill to add to add to the mix is Slaughter Hill, from Newtownmountmentalville to Roundwood
    *shudder
    I hate that one, would be a good choice though it's some climb

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If I can get a few spins in again between now and then I'd love to take a shot at the stocking route, that climb is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Shouldn't that title be: the "DUBLIN" Boards Hill Climb challenge :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Shouldn't that title be: the "DUBLIN" Boards Hill Climb challenge :rolleyes:
    No - you are allowed to travel from anywhere to participate;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g0g

Slieve Mann
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Stocking Lane/Powerscourt
    Is that two different climbs or the same one? I'm still trying to learn my Dublin hill names! I thought Cruagh Road and Stocking Lane were the two parallel(ish) climbs from Rathfarnham up to that viewpoint carpark. However somewhere else I think I saw StockARD lane written. Powerscourt on the other hand I assume relates to one of the climbs away from Powerscourt Waterfall back either towards Djouce or else on up to Glencree? Sorry for going off-topic am just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Beasty wrote: »
    No - you are allowed to travel from anywhere to participate;)

Yeah, but I'd imagine if the climb was in Tipperary, alot of Dublin Boards.ies wouldn't travel, and the complaints would come free-wheeling in !

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

These events are in no way connected with Boards (and everyone does them at their own risk!). Boards simply facilitates communication and arranging of such events.

Posters are perfectly entitled to make their own suggestions of whatever "challenge" they see fit (so long as it's legal - a "proper" race probably would not be because of the lack of race insurance whereas TTs are basically the rider versus the clock which any of us can do without specific insurance) - what tends to happen is the person(people) who does the arranging tend to get a bit more say as they get first stab at suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

g0g wrote: »
    Is that two different climbs or the same one? I'm still trying to learn my Dublin hill names! I thought Cruagh Road and Stocking Lane were the two parallel(ish) climbs from Rathfarnham up to that viewpoint carpark. However somewhere else I think I saw StockARD lane written. Powerscourt on the other hand I assume relates to one of the climbs away from Powerscourt Waterfall back either towards Djouce or else on up to Glencree? Sorry for going off-topic am just curious!

Powerscourt (for me anyway) is the climb up from Glencree towards the Sally Gap. Stocking Lane/Powerscourt as a single route would be pretty long for a hill TT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Powerscourt (for me anyway) is the climb up from Glencree towards the Sally Gap. Stocking Lane/Powerscourt as a single route would be pretty long for a hill TT.

I assume the Powerscourt climb is the ramp up past the Powerscourt estate before you descend the Poggio?

Anyway, I dont see how you can do a Stocking Lane/Powerscourt Hill TT - The bit from Stocking Lane to top of Kilakee is an actual climb, but then you would descend down toward Glencree for about 10K.

Confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Stocking Lane
    6th of November is better for me.

Kippure (advantage of no traffic)
    Slaughter Hill
    Stocking Lane

I will throw in a bottle of something cheap and fizzy for the slowest time ;)

daragh_ wrote: »
    I will throw in a bottle of something cheap and fizzy for the slowest time ;)

Oh thank you kind sir. Now what would I like...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

You'll have a fight on your hands! :)

Is Buckfast fizzy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Either date is fine for me, my vote would be stocking lane, easy to get to and a bitch to climb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If it was summer, I would be going for Nine Stones to the mast of Mt. Leinster as I don't think you'll get a more difficult climb. How as ever at this time of year you're likely to die of exposure on the way up. I'm off and in Dublin on the 6th of November (heading to FAI cup final).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Can some one lob up the routes of the proposed climbs please, my idea of hills is the Naul and my knowledge of Wicklow geography is awful? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Inquitus wrote: »
    Can some one lob up the routes of the proposed climbs please, my idea of hills is the Naul and my knowledge of Wicklow geography is awful? :)

If only maps were easily accessible online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

Stocking Lane
    Slaughter Hill
    Red Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

ROK ON wrote: »
    I assume the Powerscourt climb is the ramp up past the Powerscourt estate before you descend the Poggio?

Anyway, I dont see how you can do a Stocking Lane/Powerscourt Hill TT - The bit from Stocking Lane to top of Kilakee is an actual climb, but then you would descend down toward Glencree for about 10K.

Confusing.

It is confusing alright. I've seen people refer to the climb up to the highest point on the road between Glencree and Sally Gap as "Powerscourt Mountain" and it was the only thing I could think of that made any sense when mentioned in conjunction with Stocking Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are two possible Stocking Lane climbs.

You can go from Scholarstown Road to Viewpoint.

Or you can add a bit more onto the end and go up to the "peak" of the Military road. Up to viewpoint is probably enough though. It's not the hardest hill climb in the world, but it's longer than the other suggestions. I guess it depends on whether you want to test someone's raw strength in climbing a shorter hill or their overall strength + stamina in climbing a longer one. The quickest time up Stocking lane would probably be in the region of 20 minutes, which is still a long time pushing yourself in the saddle. The quickest time up Slaughter Hill (for e.g.) would probably be closer to 10/12 minutes.

If only maps were easily accessible online.

If only they were as accessible as unhelpful smart asses eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Stocking Lane
    If only they were as accessible as unhelpful smart asses eh :)

Already we have a grudge match on the day :)

We will be enforcing group hugs at the top, just so you know.

seamus wrote: »
    There are two possible Stocking Lane climbs.

You can go from Scholarstown Road to Viewpoint.

Link is to your profile rather than a route.

• Advertisement

daragh_ wrote: »
    Already we have a grudge match on the day :)

We will be enforcing group hugs at the top, just so you know.

It's OK, he put a smiley at the end, you can say anything you want when you put a smiley at the end :pac:

Advertisement