Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words that bug you - written or spoken

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

mike65 wrote: »
    gotten
    irregardless

Ah, yes - gotten. As used in the U.S. I gotten .......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Have you ever used a gestetner for copying? Oh. mi-gosh! There was ink all over the walls on my first day using that devilish contraption!!

Yup, that's what the stencil was for... Or was that Roneo? which one was the horrible blue stuff?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There are lots of words and phrases and clichés that have become hijacked into the low life armoury and are bandied about in the name of 'freedom'.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

I admit it. I'm a pedant. I accept it so don't troll me. Here are my pet hates.

"Can I borrow €10 off you?" From me, not off me, I'm not wearing it.
    "To boldly go where no man has gone before" Probably the most famous split infinitive of them all
    "I'm excited for my birthday party" This one has me perplexed. Where did this usage of excited start? I've been blaming American children's TV, but I'm not sure.

Even worse is 'can you borrow me €10!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Even worse is anyone saying "Can I borrow money from you?" :pac:

Needless 'ologies' and ironical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

As well as 'like', America gets the blame for over use and needless use of the word 'so'. It all started with 'Friends'. Really now come on, it's like, soooo last year!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Can I borrow €10 off you?" From me, not off me, I'm not wearing it.

And also in use:
    "Can I borrow €10 off of you?"

In London you can hear:
    "Can you change some money up?" when they are asking if you can change some money. Not sure how they can change up money!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

''Would you like me to come with? ''..........Arragh,come with what ?Or ,we should get rid.Rid of what ,finish your fupping sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

"I seen that.. "

I can tolerate anything else but for crying out loud how can people still be making that mistake! UUGHHH!!

• Advertisement

Cawcheen wrote: »
    "I seen that.. "

I can tolerate anything else but for crying out loud how can people still be making that mistake! UUGHHH!!

I believe the reason is that teachers in our schools do not correct bad grammar and spelling as strictly as they used to in 'our day'. I was once told that if the child's family speak that way then they are not corrected. What a load of old turnips!!

I'm less worried about how people speak in casual conversation we all tend to use casual "vernacular" language, however when it comes formal and written work then yes it should be correct unless one is seeking to create an effect. Yanoworramean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

The use of 'Disimprove' - grinds on my soul (so it does)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

like.
    Ah c'mon now like! We'd be lost in Cork witout dat like! Awright Like! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Listen up.

For most of my life, I've been told to 'listen'. No need to do it up or down.

And I miss the ol' two-finger salute, which has gone out of fashion due to the proliferation of the American middle finger.

I used to get bored of the the same old thing, now everyone gets bored........with? of? what? :confused:

I used to get bored of the the same old thing, now everyone gets bored........with? of? what? :confused:

I agree, they don't know what 'bored' really means anymore, it seems we must always be in a state of 'excitement'. People get 'excited' with recipes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I agree, they don't know what 'bored' really means anymore, it seems we must always be in a state of 'excitement'. People get 'excited' with recipes too!

I blame Red Bull and mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

The one that upsets me is "epic" - as in "epic fail" etc.

I hate when people say "definitive" when they really mean "definite"

The very worst one for me is the use of the word "ask" as a noun - "I know it's a big ask" Gimme strength!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Alice1 wrote: »
    The one that upsets me is "epic" - as in "epic fail" etc.

I hate when people say "definitive" when they really mean "definite"

The very worst one for me is the use of the word "ask" as a noun - "I know it's a big ask" Gimme strength!

At your service alice. A nice steaming plate of Saag Aloo.:D You do like Indian, don't you?
    saag-aloo.jpg

Rubecula wrote: »
    I blame Red Bull and mobile phones.

Something to do with a bull in a rage during a bull-fight with the matador?

• Advertisement

Absolutely! Its literally an epic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

OMG what a total 'mare!
    (and anything similar)

One that annoys me, its a News one - bracing - as in Wicklow is bracing itself for bad weather. No its not, mostly its just getting on with life but remembering to take a brolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 katopyrgos

'kid' instead of 'child'
    This really bugs me and its getting very common to hear nowadays. A mother saying " come on Babee, come on Babee" Do they not give their children names ?

And now I'm reminded of another one.....adults calling each other 'babe'.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 katopyrgos

And now I'm reminded of another one.....adults calling each other 'babe'.
    I know what you mean but somehow that doesnt sound too bad (perhaps because that endearment is so common - I dont know.:pac:

katopyrgos wrote: »
    I know what you mean but somehow that doesnt sound too bad (perhaps because that endearment is so common - I dont know.:pac:

Sorry. but to me it isn't endearing, just common!!!:rolleyes: I know someone will kill me for saying that.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

"How are you?"

"I'm good"

"I was enquiring about your health, not your morals"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Hey Julius! Brutus found "Kai su, teknon", a little prophetic. Well said. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Colette X

'very' unique, 'really' unique, or any other adjective to describe 'unique'. Something is either unique or not........

Advertisement