Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British poppy: should the Irish commemorate people who fought for the British Empire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

No (I'm British/not Irish)
    ash23 wrote: »
    My problem is more with the furore when someone opts out.
    There have been a number of people who have expressed the pressure they were put under to wear one, particularly those in the media.
    It doesn't bother me a bit if someone wants to wear one. But nobody should be pressured into wearing one. And the issues if they don't.

If someone wants to wear it, let them. If they don't, there shouldn't be a fuss made of that either.
    what a load of crap,in the UK there are some 58 million people living,last year only 26 million poppies sold,and many of them will have been bought more than once by the same people,it may also be of interest to you that in birmingham city centre they cannot this year sell the poppy on the streets ,does that sound like a media pressure ?,as i said before most of the younger generation just dont want to know,only some irish seem to want to make a big deal out of it,i wear one because i can relate to all my irish ancestors who died,but i bet my son and his descendants dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

getz wrote: »
    what a load of crap,in the UK there are some 58 million people living,last year only 26 million poppies sold,and many of them will have been bought more than once by the same people,it may also be of interest to you that in birmingham city centre they cannot this year sell the poppy on the streets ,does that sound like a media pressure ?,as i said before most of the younger generation just dont want to know,only some irish seem to want to make a big deal out of it,i wear one because i can relate to all my irish ancestors who died,but i bet my son and his descendants dont.

You'll note that I said about people in the media. Not people in general.
    It is frowned upon for someone in the media not to wear one and it does cause controversy.
    So like I said, if people want to, let them. If not then don't force the issue.

ash23 wrote: »
    You'll note that I said about people in the media. Not people in general.
    It is frowned upon for someone in the media not to wear one and it does cause controversy.
    So like I said, if people want to, let them. If not then don't force the issue.
    then do not go on BRITISH media, if i was on the media in any country i would observe their anthems customs ect,its called respect,[very little of it around today],if you are not prepared to do that in anothers country ,dont complain when you get other peoples back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Spiderman123

Yes (I'm Irish)
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Don't see why not. The 16th Irish division was a great division.
    Turkeys you mean. They got mowed down like turkeys as they tried to charge down the German machine guns with their bodies the eejits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Spiderman123

Yes (I'm Irish)
    then do not go on BRITISH media, if i was on the media in any country i would observe their anthems customs ect,its called respect,[very little of it around today],if you are not prepared to do that in anothers country ,dont complain when you get other peoples back up.
    Listen Fred, if their so stupid to go out and get maimed for a govt that would'nt look after them when they come home - well that's their tough luck isn't it ! Their's enough beggars on the streets without the Brits joining in :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Meh whatever. Like I said I wouldn't have a problem with someone not wearing the shamrock on Irish tv. Equally I don't see the problem with someone choosing not to wear a poppy on British tv. no need for anyone to get their backs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Spot the low-post-count re-reg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Listen Fred, if their so stupid to go out and get maimed for a govt that would'nt look after them when they come home - well that's their tough luck isn't it ! Their's enough beggars on the streets without the Brits joining in :rolleyes:

I can't agree with that enough. I live in Britain and the hard-on people get for militarism makes me shudder.

The people who largely join it are lacking in the brains department and couldn't get a job stacking shelves in Tesco. It's not 1939 anymore, Europe is at peace, the British Army now are stooges for their governments interests around the world and basically you're there to intervene with whatever oil-rich country that allegedly needs their help. There's nothing heroic about it. They're mercenaries in other words and trained killers who don't have a get track record of treating the locals well wherever they go, yet we the Irish people should support them and their wounded when their own government who sends them on their jaunts around the world don't?!

No chance, there is a lot more worthy cause to help. They're not even worthy of help. Anyone who joins the British Army now cannot be so stupid to know what it entails and the lack of honour in their wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Bloody hell is it that time of year already. Yes they should be remembered but not with the poppy.

The annual soap-box-vitriol-fest where no-one on either side can convince anyone on the other side that they're talking horse-sh1t.:pac:

• Advertisement

I can't agree with that enough. I live in Britain and the hard-on people get for militarism makes me shudder.

The people who largely join it are lacking in the brains department and couldn't get a job stacking shelves in Tesco. It's not 1939 anymore, Europe is at peace, the British Army now are stooges for their governments interests around the world and basically you're there to intervene with whatever oil-rich country that allegedly needs their help. There's nothing heroic about it. They're mercenaries in other words and trained killers who don't have a get track record of treating the locals well wherever they go, yet we the Irish people should support them and their wounded when their own government who sends them on their jaunts around the world don't?!

No chance, there is a lot more worthy cause to help. They're not even worthy of help. Anyone who joins the British Army now cannot be so stupid to know what it entails and the lack of honour in their wars.
    you live and make a living in britain ? why ? after that rant .two words ,sectarian,dinosaur

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think it is quiet simple. If you are irish and someone in your family was in the war then maybe you should consider wearing the poppy. Otherwise It has nothing to do with you.

BTW a friend of mine is a distant relation of lord haw haw who was hung for treason by the british at the end of the war. should he wear the poppy too?

you live and make a living in britain ? why ? after that rant .two words ,sectarian,dinosaur

...better not tell him where some of his UK taxes are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You might explain what the first of those two words has to do with his comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

No (I'm Irish)
    Green poppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No (I'm Irish)
    Poppies are Red.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Poppies are Red.

Violets are blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'd like to see you explain that post to Makikomi face to face.

Tgis "Hard on" as you put that the British have for their military is something the Irish should take note of tbh.

The fact that most of the country has no idea that the Irish army is carrying out UN sanctioned work in Chad, Afghanistan and Chad is frankly shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

No (I'm Irish)
    Blatant photoshop :cool:

wouldn't think so, I opened photoshop once and there was so many things to do I freaked out and ran away

and a quick google brought this up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pEy58n6yEk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No (I'm Irish)
    wouldn't think so, I opened photoshop once and there was so many things to do I freaked out and ran away

I presume this thread is about Remebrance Sunday (Poppy Day) and the Irish men who died on Flanders Fields?

In which case > http://www.hotelsbruges.co.uk/info/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/bruges-flanders-fields3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Yes (I'm Irish)

Thanks for taking the bait :)

I'm a bigot?:rolleyes:

What a perfectly enlightened and reasonable response to my post. Thank you.....

I'm a bigot?:rolleyes:

What a perfectly enlightened and reasonable response to my post. Thank you.....
    dont thank me i quite enjoyed it,

dont thank me i quite enjoyed it,

So did I, I gave my opinion and that was the best to you could do to retort it without addressing any of it. Carry on, I love debating people who can’t summon an argument, it makes me feel all superior!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

No (I'm Irish)
    Dionysus wrote: »
    Keith! Welcome to the thread.:D

Ah, the 16th Irish, otherwise known as Kitchener's Mob - would that be any connection to one Horatio Kitchener, the British commander responsible for the murder of tens of thousands of women and children in concentration camps during the Second Boer War? Are he and his allies really worth "commemorating"?

Correction the irish\british commander Horatio Kitchener

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Correction on the Correction

Kerry/British commander Horatio Kitchener

Lets be specific on the blame

Back on topic, does the Legion still spend in the 26 counties ?

Another troublesome Kerryman prone to violent outbursts.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Correction on the Correction

Kerry/British commander Horatio Kitchener

Lets be specific on the blame

Back on topic, does the Legion still spend in the 26 counties ?

http://republic-of-ireland.britishlegion.org.uk/

Advertisement