Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm at a lose-end this weekend (wifey is away with kids) so I should be around for a few hours to give you a hand to sort this out ?

I have Saturday with my own wife and child and am working Sunday and Monday!
    I'm off tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭geotrig

beejee wrote: »
    I've been on the lookout for this game for ages, Monster Maulers, from konami. Used to love playing it in quirkeys. And apparently I was the only one that liked it then, and now!

There are two copies up on ebay. One is a guy in japan that charges RIDICULOUS money for all his pcb's. Im sure he uses them to simply attract attention to the rest of his stuff. Been there for years (like all his stuff)

Some Spanish dude also put one up for sale recently too (within the last year), obviously saw the only copy (the jap guy), and copied his ridiculous price too.

So its a bid mad. Nobody seems to want this game but me, anywhere, yet the two available have prices based out of their ars*es.

Anyone else remember this? Basically a parody game, with hilarious music in some parts, and a nod or two to other games (such as gradius).

(if anyone has one gathering dust, let me know :))

Edit: just to note, that Japanese guy seems to price his games at about triple or quadruple or more the going rate, so I think this game is worth between the 100 and 200 mark. Rarity means nothing is nobody wants it!

He has been at this for years ,ever since he moved to Japan and pretty much tried to corner the market ,everything that was reasonable valued or sought after he bought and if he couldn't buy it he made sure to bid against you until the price was a far whack!! he is one of the reasons some arcade games have shot up in value and like you said people have seen his prices and started copying them pretty much :( ,out of principle Id never buy off him again and haven't , even when he had a few items i was looking at reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

geotrig wrote: »
    He has been at this for years ,ever since he moved to Japan and pretty much tried to corner the market ,everything that was reasonable valued or sought after he bought and if he couldn't buy it he made sure to bid against you until the price was a far whack!! he is one of the reasons some arcade games have shot up in value and like you said people have seen his prices and started copying them pretty much :( ,out of principle Id never buy off him again and haven't , even when he had a few items i was looking at reasonable prices.

Ah, so its not only myself that noticed that guy! Well, at least some people have their heads screwed on, good to know :)

His prices are just out of this world. On the flipside, I haven't see him sell anything in ages (Arcade-wise), so maybe sanity is returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

geotrig wrote: »

Is that the steve chap thats banned from shmups etc, grabs everything cheap then hikes up the prices?

safetyboy wrote: »
    Is that the steve chap thats banned from shmups etc, grabs everything cheap then hikes up the prices?

Yeah ,got banned from most forums , as he was also doctoring kits etc but he has his customers regardless, mainly in Italy.
    It was painful being constantly outbid or bid by him on every auction oh yaj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve Baily?

Steve Baily?

No s t v

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I never saw one of these before, I'm told it's called a Sega Swing. This one's on Yahoo auctions at the moment.

43817611_2426310994050922_5175318912377594635_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTg5OTEyNDMzMjE2NjQzODQ3MA%3D%3D.2

43683035_245238039480996_2853582734361668450_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTg5OTEyNDMzMjE2NjQ3MTQ2OQ%3D%3D.2

43472282_317270462422587_6725334723257915740_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTg5OTEyNDMzMjE0MTQxODE3Nw%3D%3D.2

41516234_799324960400546_8803842552443946667_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTg5OTEyNDMzMjE1ODIwMTg4OQ%3D%3D.2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

Weird looking thing...I think I love it though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I really like them, kinda remind me of a Sega version of an Egret 29.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Kind of like it too.

The control panel looks very similar to an Aero City just with extra space around it.

800px-10_%283%29.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Weird looking thing...I think I love it though :o

Hey, my wife said that once too!

not even 24 hours and a disgraceful markup :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

not even 24 hours and a disgraceful markup :confused:

You're not ****ing serious???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Well that’s disappointing. Would have hoped to see them on the marketplace with a slight price increase considering they are not up in donegal any more and more central located , for a regular to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Is it definitely the same one? Sounds like it. If it is, that's extraordinarily bad form. Almost makes you want to start enforcing some rules on who can buy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Is it definitely the same one? Sounds like it. If it is, that's extraordinarily bad form. Almost makes you want to start enforcing some rules on who can buy

unless there is 2 virtual strikers missing their monitor chassis, both now in Longford, very poor form for someone on here, especially as others expressed interest.
    Its even sitting next to the red cabinet in the advert

I understand they drove to Donegal for them but to buy for €50, sell for €750, niceone:rolleyes:
    €200 would have even been resonable

If it is the same, I would propose a ban on the buyer

Withdrawn now anyway

• Advertisement

Still should be banned from this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anto002

unless there is 2 virtual strikers missing their monitor chassis, both now in Longford, very poor form for someone on here, especially as others expressed interest.
    Its even sitting next to the red cabinet in the advert

I understand they drove to Donegal for them but to buy for €50, sell for €750, niceone:rolleyes:
    €200 would have even been resonable

Allow me to ask you to get your facts right first.
    Now for a start they weren't bought for €50
    they cost a lot more than that.
    The naomi 2 motherboard plus the virtua striker 3 was extra.
    Then take in to consideration having to pay two guys to drive almost 3 hours away , fill the diesel tank , and then have to literally take the naomi cabinet down flights of stairs etc..
    Do you see where I'm coming from?
    Good luck pal 😊

anto002 wrote: »
    Allow me to ask you to get your facts right first.
    Now for a start they weren't bought for €50
    they cost a lot more than that.
    The naomi 2 motherboard plus the virtua striker 3 was extra.
    Then take in to consideration having to pay two guys to drive almost 3 hours away , fill the diesel tank , and then have to literally take the naomi cabinet down flights of stairs etc..
    Do you see where I'm coming from?
    Good luck pal ��

If that's the way things get priced then my star trek pinball just easily worth €10'000.

It would be worth €12'000 but Diesel was a fair bit cheaper when I got it

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Still should be banned from this forum

Can I ask you
    Banned for what reason?
    For trying to make a profit on something?
    The gentlemen we bought the machines from knew exactly what they are or could be worth.
    Now when they first came up for sale someone asked how much for just the naomi on its own?
    And he replied " €1000 " or the 3 for €100 and an extra €50 for the motherboard and virtua striker 3.
    The gentleman that sold these to us wanted them gone asap and he was well aware of the fact that someone would try and make a profit on the naomi 2.
    Also take into consideration having to fill a tank with diesel, then getting two people to drive almost 3 hours, then having to struggle, and I mean struggle to get not only the naomi down 2 flights of stairs but then having to carry the two other cabinets.
    Now obviously when it was advertised the price is going to be higher than what is expected to finally get.
    And also I know for a fact that the naomi machine will be fully restored by someone who will really appreciate it.
    My friend has the other red jamma cabinet and I have the other one and believe me their will be a lot of tlc put into fully restoring the two red machines, especially when they were made here in Ireland.
    Good luck.

I had a naomi before

I just bolted it apart, moved it into my house and then bolted it together again. Took about 30 mins...on my own

Can I ask you
    Banned for what reason?
    For trying to make a profit on something?
    The gentlemen we bought the machines from knew exactly what they are or could be worth.
    Now when they first came up for sale someone asked how much for just the naomi on its own?
    And he replied " €1000 " or the 3 for €100 and an extra €50 for the motherboard and virtua striker 3.
    The gentleman that sold these to us wanted them gone asap and he was well aware of the fact that someone would try and make a profit on the naomi 2.
    Also take into consideration having to fill a tank with diesel, then getting two people to drive almost 3 hours, then having to struggle, and I mean struggle to get not only the naomi down 2 flights of stairs but then having to carry the two other cabinets.
    Now obviously when it was advertised the price is going to be higher than what is expected to finally get.
    And also I know for a fact that the naomi machine will be fully restored by someone who will really appreciate it.
    My friend has the other red jamma cabinet and I have the other one and believe me their will be a lot of tlc put into fully restoring the two red machines, especially when they were made here in Ireland.
    Good luck.

Just want to say 2 things. If you knew whoever was going to buy the Naomi would restore it then why try and get a premium price out of them?

And why did you tell lies on the advert saying it was in storage for years.

What lots of people fail to understand is that this isn't a business it's a hobby, a very niche one. Of course money is involved and nothing wrong with making a few quid but has to be a line drawn.

If that's the way things get priced then my star trek pinball just easily worth €10'000.

It would be worth €12'000 but Diesel was a fair bit cheaper when I got it

OK people buy and sell machines all the time for a profit.
    Especially on adverts of all places.
    I've seen machines that were literally falling apart and they wanted astronomical prices for them.
    The gentleman we bought these machines from is well aware of the possible value of the naomi 2 and when he first put up the add someone asked him how much for the naomi and he said (€1000 ) or €150 for all 3.
    The two red jamma cabinets are going to be fully restored and they are staying where they are.
    And the naomi will also be fully restored by a friend of mine and not for an extortionate price.
    So rest assured, nobody has been ripped off and the main thing is that these machines will live on.
    They were very close to have been thrown into a big skip.

Just want to say 2 things. If you knew whoever was going to buy the Naomi would restore it then why try and get a premium price out of them?

And why did you tell lies on the advert saying it was in storage for years.

What lots of people fail to understand is that this isn't a business it's a hobby, a very niche one. Of course money is involved and nothing wrong with making a few quid but has to be a line drawn.

I knew in all fairness that people would have known that they were the same machines and tbh I think I panicked a little and I apologise for it.
    I understand that it's a hobby but it's more that that for me and I have been involved in arcade machines since I was 8 years old.
    I won't go into details here but arcade machines have been a very important part of my life and I have worked on countless machines, pinball machines etc.. and I owned my first pinball machine when I was 8 years old , and bally El Toro.
    Anyway I knew that I wouldn't get what I was asking for and I have privately arranged a chat with a friend of mine who will restore it.
    And the red cabinets, my other friend has a nice collection of machines in his house and I will restore the other one and keep it for my kids.

Especially on adverts of all places.
    I've seen machines that were literally falling apart and they wanted astronomical prices for them.
    The gentleman we bought these machines from is well aware of the possible value of the naomi 2 and when he first put up the add someone asked him how much for the naomi and he said (€1000 ) or €150 for all 3.
    The two red jamma cabinets are going to be fully restored and they are staying where they are.
    And the naomi will also be fully restored by a friend of mine and not for an extortionate price.
    So rest assured, nobody has been ripped off and the main thing is that these machines will live on.
    They were very close to have been thrown into a big skip.

350?cb=20150903211302

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

These machines were listed sale in a forum where only collectors and enthusiasts peruse, with the sole intention of keeping items from falling into the hands of people who'd buy them in order to sell them at multiples of their original price. Somehow these machines have ended up in the hands of someone who done exactly that, of course it's going to get peoples backs up, that's why the forum was created - to be a place where collectors/enthusiasts could trade/swap/sell items, free of scalpers, free of over inflated prices, and free of, well, greed. It works very well at that too, for the most part.

The facts are, with your current post count, you wouldn't have been entitled to buy those machines via the Marketplace forum, in order to do what you've done with them. They were listed at a knockdown price, by a very nice guy, in order for them to go to a fellow collector - not to line the pockets of someone who doesn't even post here. If all this happened outside of our forum, I wouldn't give two hoots. It didn't though.

Advertisement