Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon 30/9/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Anyone know whether you can tell what race starting pen you have been allocated to from your race registration card? (mine arrived today)

Presume u put in a projected time while entering ?

This might b of some assistance :

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/event/start-finish-course.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Anyone know whether you can tell what race starting pen you have been allocated to from your race registration card? (mine arrived today)

AFAIK your starting pen is based on your previous Marathon PB this year (not predicted finish time as in the past). So it would depend on what you put down when you registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

menoscemo wrote: »
    AFAIK your starting pen is based on your previous Marathon PB this year (not predicted finish time as in the past). So it would depend on what you put down when you registered.

Ah ok, thanks for that. That would be grand if enforced. I spent the first 5k last year ducking and weaving through runners last year who had no business being in the front 5 pens :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Btw you can get it changed if you email them in advance, did that myself last year.

Must admit having run in Berlin the last two years & enjoyed it will be jealous of everyone running on the 30th!

Best of luck in any case :)

opus wrote: »
    Btw you can get it changed if you email them in advance, did that myself last year.

Must admit having run in Berlin the last two years & enjoyed it will be jealous of everyone running on the 30th!

Thanks Opus, enjoying the taper now and looking forward to the big day. Now all we need is a nice cold crisp sunny morning.....

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »

Yeah I know, I got it changed back in March when I set a new PB. I am happy to be running from Pen D (3:00-3:15). No congestion from there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

I assume that the 3 hr pacers will be at the front of Block D?

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    I assume that the 3 hr pacers will be at the front of Block D?
    I would have thought with your recent form Eau that Herr Race Direktor would be asking you to carry a pacer's balloon yourself?:cool:

I would have thought with your recent form Eau that Herr Race Direktor would be asking you to carry a pacer's balloon yourself?:cool:

Leider habe ich nicht einen Ballon erhalten......:( *

Not a bad call though. If I bring along a couple of balloons for us and stick 3hrs on it, then failure is no longer an option! You are a genius.

*translation received via google translator! :D
    My leaving cert German is a bit rusty, so had to get some help with that.

Judging by todays "countdown" article, Patrick Makau wont be defending his title in Berlin. A previous article claimed that he would be there.

The question raised in the article is who will challenge Geofrey Mutai?
    Makau will instead be having a go at his own WR in Frankfurt in October. (perhaps BMW as sponsor has had a say here)

The elite fields in the Mens and Womens races dont appear as strong as in previous years and I guess this is to be expected in Olympic year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I think the big question is who will challenge CL for the title of first non-African woman home :)

Not a bad call though. If I bring along a couple of balloons for us and stick 3hrs on it, then failure is no longer an option! You are a genius.

Jaysus.. I dunno. I have horrible memories of sloping out of Croker in a red jersey, Munster having been annihilated by Leinster. I would have paid serious money for alternative clothing to avoid those smug D4s being able to identify my provinical origin :D
    As long as you bring alternative (non-"Pacer") shirts and a pin to prick my balloon just in case... I'm on! .... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Is this being broadcast live on tv?

I think I watched it on BBC last year? It was Paula Radcliffe's comeback but think they should it annually anyway. Should also be on Eurosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

eliwallach wrote: »
    Is this being broadcast live on tv?

Eurosport are showing it according to their website.

Confirmed that Im now starting in block F thanks to a mail I sent after seeing this [I was in G] - my boards subscription paying for itself over and over - thanks guys...

Yea, assume eurosport are showing it, they had the Paris Marathon live earler in the year, so its a cheap sporting event Sky dont own but will have a bit of niche interest and therefore get some viewers and some sponsor cash in, so that's totally their bag :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pyrat

Hi, I'm running at Berlin as well.

How do you find out your starting pen? Was there an email sent out recently with this information?

I received an email a while back with info to get into the pre-race place to pick up number etc, and a recent email for emergency contact info. Do you get the runners card in the post?

pyrat wrote: »
    Hi, I'm running at Berlin as well.

How do you find out your starting pen? Was there an email sent out recently with this information?

I received an email a while back with info to get into the pre-race place to pick up number etc, and a recent email for emergency contact info. Do you get the runners card in the post?

When registering you were asked for your previous Marathon PB. Your starting pen will be based on this. You can see a list of the pens here:

You should have got a registration confirmation for a few weeks ago? there is a document there to bring to the EXPO It should have your marathon PB listed.

I am guessing if it is your first marathon you will automatically be put in the back pen (Pen H), though I have heard anecdotally that you can plead your case at the expo and if lucky get a sticker put on your BIB which will allow you into a higher pen the morning of the race...

on the marathon homepage under list of participants, there is a new feature "Erdinger Motivationzone". Its designed for family member to leave a motivational message for us runners, the message appears as you pass a big screen at 34km - your timing chip prompts the message to appear on screen.
    I guess you could stick up the message to give yourself a kick in the arse at that stage of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I think I watched it on BBC last year? It was Paula Radcliffe's comeback but think they should it annually anyway. Should also be on Eurosport.

BBC didn't show it in 2010, that was eurosport and the lack of a helicopter due to the weather. I'm guessing BBC showed it last year because of Radcliffe. With all the time they've devoted to athletics in 2012 i doubt they'll show it this year.

• Advertisement

I *may* have to change my flights due to some work bull****; just wondering what flights are folks on?

Im currently Aer Lingus Friday 7am or so, and back on Wednesday night - may have to come home Monday or Tuesday now :(

I *may* have to change my flights due to some work bull****; just wondering what flights are folks on?

Im currently Aer Lingus Friday 7am or so, and back on Wednesday night - may have to come home Monday or Tuesday now :(

Out Friday evening and back Monday morning for me. Sadly I won't get to waddle around the Reichstag like a duck on Monday this year...;)

When registering you were asked for your previous Marathon PB. Your starting pen will be based on this. You can see a list of the pens here:

You should have got a registration confirmation for a few weeks ago? there is a document there to bring to the EXPO It should have your marathon PB listed.

I am guessing if it is your first marathon you will automatically be put in the back pen (Pen H), though I have heard anecdotally that you can plead your case at the expo and if lucky get a sticker put on your BIB which will allow you into a higher pen the morning of the race...

I have a marathon PB listed as 3:10:10 on the Expo card although it is my first marathon. Fingers crossed I can get into Pen D. Thanks for your help!

Name - Bib - Prediction - Actual
    menoscemo - 6825 - 3:04:59
    Rolex_ - 31577 - 2:59:15
    Vagga - 21555 - 3.35.00
    macinalli - 19372 - 3:18
    Sideswipe - 33268 - 3:29:599
    Marthastew - F2203- 4.XX.XX
    Mr Stew - 8782- 3.29.59
    EauRouge- 21299 - 2:59:30
    Pronator- 19343-02:xx:xx
    Pre- - 02:02:59

Just a bit of updating. Anyone else heading over?

Any last minute additons??? Pyrat? Others?:D

Name - Bib - Prediction - Actual
    menoscemo - 6825 - 3:04:59
    Rolex_ - 31577 - 2:59:15
    Vagga - 21555 - 3.35.00
    macinalli - 19372 - 3:18
    Sideswipe - 33268 - 3:29:599
    Marthastew - F2203- 4.XX.XX
    Mr Stew - 8782- 3.29.59
    EauRouge- 21299 - 2:59:30
    Pronator- 19343-02:xx:xx
    Pre- - 02:02:59
    claralara - F2068 -3:14:xx
    digger - tbc - 3:19:xx

I have a marathon PB listed as 3:10:10 on the Expo card although it is my first marathon. Fingers crossed I can get into Pen D. Thanks for your help!

I am pretty sure you will be in Pen D so. You must have emailed them before to tell them your expected finishing time?
    My PB is the same so I'll be in Pen D too. What kind of time are you gunning for? I'll going out at 7 min/mile (about 3:04-3:05 pace).

Yep, Pen D it is!

I am going for 2:59:30

Currently undecided as to whether to run with the 3:00:00 pacer or not. Had anyone here run a marathon with a pacer before? Is it any good?

Yep, Pen D it is!

Currently undecided as to whether to run with the 3:00:00 pacer or not. Had anyone here run a marathon with a pacer before? Is it any good?

I have ran a marathon as a pacer though not with a pacer so i can't possibly comment :pac:.

They will have a fair crowd around them so you won't lack for company. I reckon the pacer will start at the back of Block C so just make sure you are up near the front of D if you want to follow the pacers.

Rememeber the most important thing though: Beers that evening in the Oscar Wilde Pub ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Yep, Pen D it is!

I ran 2.59 there 3 yrs ago and never saw a pacer and that was with a halfway in 89.49 odd. Best of luck finding him. In my opinion a runner aiming for sub 3 doesn't need a pacer.

• Advertisement

Yep, Pen D it is!

Currently undecided as to whether to run with the 3:00:00 pacer or not. Had anyone here run a marathon with a pacer before?

Hi pyrat,

Like Meno I have run as a pacer in the past but also as part of the following group. I would suggest that you should follow the pacer to let him to the calculations for you.
    I will also be following the 3hr pacers, Rolex may do so also.
    They will have a fair crowd around them so you won't lack for company. I reckon the pacer will start at the back of Block C so just make sure you are up near the front of D if you want to follow the pacers.

I e-mailed them yesterday requesting that I be placed in the same pen that contains the 3 hr pacers.
    They replied as follows
    " Starting blocks are allocated according to previous marathon times, and not according to training times"

I would agree with you. Pacers will most likely be at the back of Block C.

Advertisement