Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon 30/9/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Ran Berlin last year, great event, great city. Looking forward to going back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

On week 1 of training - cant wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

On week 1 of training - cant wait :)

Likewise, really looking forward to September, this is the big one!
    Im on week 5 of a 24 week plan. A bit long I know, but I had to have something to focus on. Funny group us marathon runners!

Made my second marathon "debut" (three decades after my first!) in Berlin last year. Truly memorable day. Exceeded all my expectations. Did London last month whch is every bit as memorable as an event. Cork half in 2 weeks, then knuckle down and back to Berlin to apply the lessons learned and find those extra few minutes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Signed up but think I cant make it.

Seems there's no way to defer or transfer though?

• Advertisement

hmmmm .. none I am aware of unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Ran Berlin last year, great event, great city. Looking forward to going back :)

Doing Berlin myself for the first time this year just wondering how they hand out the drinks. What i mean is bottles or cups and is it just water or are there any carb drinks. Thanks

pre wrote: »
    Doing Berlin myself for the first time this year just wondering how they hand out the drinks. What i mean is bottles or cups and is it just water or are there any carb drinks. Thanks

From my memory there were gels at a couple of the drinks stations. There were also some kind of carb drinks at least some of the stations. The water came in bottles. As far as I can recall the drinks stations were every 2 km and were orderly. I know it's all detailed fully on the Berlin Marathon website so take a look there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

From my memory there were gels at a couple of the drinks stations. There were also some kind of carb drinks at least some of the stations. The water came in bottles. As far as I can recall the drinks stations were every 2 km and were orderly. I know it's all detailed fully on the Berlin Marathon website so take a look there too.

I'm pretty sure the water/carb drinks unfortunately were in cups last year

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the water/carb drinks unfortunately were in cups last year

I'll defer to you then Marthastew, I don't trust on my memory on that one:)

• Advertisement

Signed up but think I cant make it.

Seems there's no way to defer or transfer though?

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/files/events/global/2011/pdf/terms-of-participation.pdf

section 5&6 should answer this for you.
    from what i can make out.....it seems you must attend the expo and see a doctor to prove your are not fit to compete to defer for next year.
    to transfer your number you need to prove that it would be cheaper for them to transfer your number than for them to simply cancel your entry.

in summary your fecked! sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Entered the marathon last October.
    Booked outbound flights around Christmas.
    Booked return flights around April.
    Training is kicking off at the minute.
    We have nowhere to stay...whoops.
    Looking at apartments at the minute as there seems to be quite a lack of hotel availability. :(:eek:
    Any idears?!

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'm in.

Unfortunately it seems like you have to register your personal best rather than 'predicted time' like 2011. This means I'll likely start further back than I did this year, even though I'll be intending to go much faster.

Hopefully I set a faster time between now and then and I can email them this info.

I ran it last year. I had been told they are pretty laid back about starting in the right pen. It was my debut marathon - I had predicted 3.30 and just ran sub 3.15. Even at that, it was pretty congested up to 10kms. Talking to some of those that took 4 hrs approx it was VERY congested there. Worth starting a bit further forward than your alloted pen as it seemed everyone else did too - I had some 9 minute milers running 3 abreast in front of me for the first 3 or 4 ks - pretty frustrating TBH

claralara wrote: »
    Entered the marathon last October.
    Booked outbound flights around Christmas.
    Booked return flights around April.
    Training is kicking off at the minute.
    We have nowhere to stay...whoops.
    Looking at apartments at the minute as there seems to be quite a lack of hotel availability. :(:eek:
    Any idears?!

Going with Sports Travel as I did last year. Apparently hotel rooms are in very short supply as the mararthon coincides this year with some major conference. Can't help you on the suggestions front I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I ran it last year. I had been told they are pretty laid back about starting in the right pen. It was my debut marathon - I had predicted 3.30 and just ran sub 3.15. Even at that, it was pretty congested up to 10kms. Talking to some of those that took 4 hrs approx it was VERY congested there. Worth starting a bit further forward than your alloted pen as it seemed everyone else did too - I had some 9 minute milers running 3 abreast in front of me for the first 3 or 4 ks - pretty frustrating TBH

They are pretty strict about what pen you are in actually, the different pens have numbers and letters on them and they have security at the entrance to the pens.
    Last year I had a predicted finish time of 3:10 and they put me in the second pen (3hrs-3:15) and I was right at the front and with little traffic and was over the start line in less than a minute with no congestion.

This year they just asked for a PB (not a predicted time). I only realised after sending in my application that I would be put in the third pen (3:15-3:30) based on my PB and my goal is sub 3. Anyways, since entering I have ran a new PB of 3:10 so I just emailed them this info and told them I was going for sub 3 and they replied promptly to tell me I would be moved to one of the front pens.

So my advice is just to email them If you want to be in a faster pen.

BTW at the start there are two sides seperated by a traffic Island. The left side is much less congested. Last year I got across the start line before several people in the pen in front of me just by starting from the left.

They are pretty strict about what pen you are in actually, the different pens have numbers and letters on them and they have security at the entrance to the pens.
    Last year I had a predicted finish time of 3:10 and they put me in the second pen (3hrs-3:15) and I was right at the front and with little traffic and was over the start line in less than a minute with no congestion.

This year they just asked for a PB (not a predicted time). I only realised after sending in my application that I would be put in the third pen (3:15-3:30) based on my PB and my goal is sub 3. Anyways, since entering I have ran a new PB of 3:10 so I just emailed them this info and told them I was going for sub 3 and they replied promptly to tell me I would be moved to one of the front pens.

So my advice is just to email them If you want to be in a faster pen.

BTW at the start there are two sides seperated by a traffic Island. The left side is much less congested. Last year I got across the start line before several people in the pen in front of me just by starting from the left.

I was tipped off by a Berlin veteran to approach the start area from the Tiergarten side rather than the Reichstag side where the bag drop area etc is - apparently it's less carefully policed.
    I went into the 3rd pen rather than the 4th pen - no one stopped me and I went in and out on more than one occasion to go to the loo etc. In pen 3 it still took me over 2 minutes to cross the start and I had a lot of slow traffic to contend with as I outlined in my previous post.

People were also hopping over the barriers freely. into other pens. I stand by own experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

+1, hard to believe you crossed the start line ahead of me even though i was in a faster corral than you. Left side all the way.

How is the training going for everybody?

Race seemed ages away until I looked at the calendar, just over 2 months of proper training left.
    11 Weeks, 3 day to go :eek:

Im praying for a sub3, recent races suggest that I have the pace. Unfortunately my weekly mileage isnt as high as it could be. Really have to up that now, just hope it doesnt result in an injury.

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    How is the training going for everybody?

Race seemed ages away until I looked at the calendar, just over 2 months of proper training left.
    11 Weeks, 3 day to go :eek:

Im praying for a sub3, recent races suggest that I have the pace. Unfortunately my weekly mileage isnt as high as it could be. Really have to up that now, just hope it doesnt result in an injury.

Heya... also hoping for first sub 3... what recent benchmark race times are you going by ?

Heya... also hoping for first sub 3... what recent benchmark race times are you going by ?

Hi Rolex,

18:02 for 5k last night
    23:43 for 4 miles last week
    1:04:00 for 10 miles few weeks ago
    1:20:? for 20k few weeks ago

Ran waterford marathon as well recently. I wanted to use this as a training run. Paced myself at 3:20 pace up to 20 mile marker and then tried to push on an catch the 3:15 pacer over the last 6 miles. Almost made it but struggled to maintain the pace over last 1.5 miles, finished in 3:15:50.

How about you?

• Advertisement

Hi Rolex,

18:02 for 5k last night
    23:43 for 4 miles last week
    1:04:00 for 10 miles few weeks ago
    1:20:? for 20k few weeks ago

Ran waterford marathon as well recently. I wanted to use this as a training run. Paced myself at 3:20 pace up to 20 mile marker and then tried to push on an catch the 3:15 pacer over the last 6 miles. Almost made it but struggled to maintain the pace over last 1.5 miles, finished in 3:15:50.

How about you?

18:26 for 5k last month
    1:03:04 for 10 miler earlier in the year
    1:25:17 for HM recently
    Ran 3:02:xx in London marathon in April (PB by 12 mins)

Similar times I reckon. I see you are Cork-based. Send me a PM if you need company for any of your long runs. I have a few mates I tend to do them with - all sub 3:15 marathoners. Cheers.

Similar times I reckon. I see you are Cork-based. Send me a PM if you need company for any of your long runs. I have a few mates I tend to do them with - all sub 3:15 marathoners. Cheers.

Good stuff, will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SDARBS

I've had to pull out of this one (and New York) due to injury, gutted but thems the breaks :mad: ...
    I'll defer New York to 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Tis about time we had a few predictions for this one:
    Dev123 3:59:59 (New job, moving house is my excuse)

dev123 wrote: »
    Tis about time we had a few predictions for this one:
    Dev123 3:59:59 (New job, moving house is my excuse)

This predicting is a dangerous game.
    Ill nail my colours to the mast and go with 2:59:30.

Trying to go from 03:05:30 to sub3.

Im moving house or will be next month also. Does that qualify as an excuse for me if I fail!?

If someone could put together a prediction chart or something that would be great. I wouldnt know where to start. Thanks

This predicting is a dangerous game.
    Ill nail my colours to the mast and go with 2:59:30.

Trying to go from 03:05:30 to sub3.

Im moving house or will be next month also. Does that qualify as an excuse for me if I fail!?

If someone could put together a prediction chart or something that would be great. I wouldnt know where to start. Thanks

Chalk me down for 2:58:50. May as well nail my colours to the mast at this stage...
    3:02 1/2 in London so 3 minutes to find.

Chalk me down for 2:58:50. May as well nail my colours to the mast at this stage...
    3:02 1/2 in London so 3 minutes to find.

R, was that you I ran past twice on the line last Sunday morning? Without the glasses its only at the last second that I thought I recognised you?

Im hoping the rest of the "Berliners" are going to show some interest on here in the next few weeks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Im hoping the rest of the "Berliners" are going to show some interest on here in the next few weeks.:)

Haha, I am definitely following this thread and officially still training for Sub 3. I'll make a final decision on that after the Longford half next weekend.

Anyway just for everyone to keep in mind. The boards beers will be in the Oscar Wilde after the race :D

R, was that you I ran past twice on the line last Sunday morning? Without the glasses its only at the last second that I thought I recognised you?

Hi Eau, I was on the Line last Sunday week alright (9 days ago), trudged around a warm and humid West Cork on Sunday just gone for 20 miles.. the things we do. I'm leading out an 18 miler for the club on Sunday morning next - 7:30 pace so handy enough. If you're interested drop me a PM or text.

Only 4 weeks to the taper thank god - cmon Berliners show your colours!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'll most definitely be doing my best to PB in my beer consumption in The Oscar Wilde, although it will be hard to beat last year;)

Mr Stew and I are both hoping to run sub 3.30, at the moment it's looking good for one of us not me... I'll decide on my goal after the Frank Duffy 10 Miler

Advertisement