Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon 30/9/2012

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Well done sideswipe - thrilled for ya - now the sub 3:30 box is ticked it gets easier - the mental and nervous baggage you were carrying to the start line won't be any way near as heavy for the next one.

Cheers Paulie, considering joining a club over the winter to help with the faster sessions (t'is hard going it alone all the time), so might see you down in Ringsend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

My Garmin registered 26.75 miles i started at the front of pen c. I did however stop 4 times to releave myself of Urine,Faeces.Vomit and more Faeces. Lesson to self never take gels again. Apart from that i followed the blue line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

pre wrote: »
    My Garmin registered 26.75 miles i started at the front of pen c. I did however stop 4 times to releave myself of Urine,Faeces.Vomit and more Faeces. Lesson to self never take gels again. Apart from that i followed the blue line.

You are really selling the experience pre :D Well done on a cracking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

...and you still managed 2:49?! Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

The fact that you ate like Tony Soprano the night before could also have contributed to your technical difficulties:D

I was half a k over but I've come to expect that with most marathon's now. The garmin's are just a guide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

Pronator wrote: »

The fact that you ate like Tony Soprano the night before could also have contributed to your technical difficulties:D

I was half a k over but I've come to expect that with most marathon's now. The garmin's are just a guide
    Ha ha deadly. Yeh I was starving I'm a fat person inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

What did the rest of you make of the mens finish?
    Just watched the race back on eurosport. It certainly was odd. €50k for the winner on Sunday. €500,000 pretty much guaranteed now for Mutai as winner of the majors series.??????
    They had made a valiant attempt at the record having run a conservative 1st half and may well have been spent physically but you would expect some kind of kick from one of them.

Kimetto really looked like he had it for there for the taking but didnt dare to pass a tired Mutai.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

sideswipe wrote: »
    Cheers Paulie, considering joining a club over the winter to help with the faster sessions (t'is hard going it alone all the time), so might see you down in Ringsend!!

You should deffo come down - I sat on the fence for a good while myself but thoroughly enjoying it now - but all that's for another day; enjoy putting the 6kg back on over the next few weeks first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Jaysus, I hope you washed your hand before I shook it in the Oscar Wilde ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The real hardcores piss and crap themselves while running. Try harder next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I hope everyone is recovering well and still enjoying that post-race glow.

Eaurouge; What a pity we didn't get to meet you , what time did you leave?
    Sideswipe; I really enjoyed your race report , congrats again.

It was really great to meet so many of you (sorry Eaurouge) in the Oscar Wilde for the celebrations, PBs all round in beer consumption I think:)

My Garmin was 42.67K, most likely the buildings and trees had a part to play in that.

TRR, I'm pretty sure we were all inadvertantly Windmilling in the pub at some stage:)

A very long, waffling, emotional race report here for anyone who's interested

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509699&page=38

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Marthastew wrote: »
    Eaurouge; What a pity we didn't get to meet you , what time did you leave?

A very long, waffling, emotional race report here for anyone who's interested

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509699&page=38

Great report, enjoyed reading that over my lunchtime sandwich!
    I must compose a report myself but can compete with your writing skills, ill probably nod off myself whilst writing out of sheer boredom!

I arrived with wife and 3 year old daughter in towe about 4:15pm, just before the match. Rolex joined us a 30mins later with his daughter and id say we stayed until 8:30 so.
    My smallie had me running up and down Friedrichstrasse on a few occasions during the evening to keep her entertained.

Sorry we missed ye, would love to put a face to the posts. Who knows im sure we will have other races that will come up in the future. Well done on your race again, you pretty much summed up the joy of marathon running in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Great report, enjoyed reading that over my lunchtime sandwich!
    I must compose a report myself but can compete with your writing skills, ill probably nod off myself whilst writing out of sheer boredom!

I arrived with wife and 3 year old daughter in towe about 4:15pm, just before the match. Rolex joined us a 30mins later with his daughter and id say we stayed until 8:30 so.
    My smallie had me running up and down Friedrichstrasse on a few occasions during the evening to keep her entertained.

Sorry we missed ye, would love to put a face to the posts. Who knows im sure we will have other races that will come up in the future. Well done on your race again, you pretty much summed up the joy of marathon running in there.

That's such a shame! You must have walked right by us going in and out - fair play to you being able to run up and down Friedrichstrasse though :)

I think we started arriving from 4 and were there until...em....sometime o clock - anyone care to share? Maybe midnight? Sure there's always next time!

Well done on your own sub 3 - congrats! :)

And seeing as we're all sharing the waffles today... ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81065909&postcount=2600

sideswipe wrote: »
    Don't have a log but do have an urge to write this one up, just to help myself digest it and move on!

Lead Up:
    I came into this race after a disappointing year. I’d upped my training in terms of both quality and quantity, but yet still felt I was going backwards!
    Trained very well for Cork and had my worst ever marathon experience, a DNF. Rolled my training over to Waterford 4 weeks later for another sub 3:30 attempt. It was the wrong call; I wasn’t ready physically or more importantly mentally.
    Waterford was another bad day and there I was 13 weeks out from Berlin, at my lowest ebb running wise and worse still- I had stopped enjoying it, the fun of running and racing was gone. After a lot of soul searching I decided to start a 12 week training plan which I had got from Vinny Mulvey.
    It was a grind from the off, I had to quit on tempo sessions and cut short a 16 mile long run at 12 miles because I felt wiped out, I just couldn't do it! Had to make a call, ease up and go to Berlin and enjoy a trot around an historic city or keep grinding, or to use an oft used phrase in these parts HTFU!
    I Kept going whilst trying to get to the bottom of my malaise…….What could it be……over doing things, low iron?- got a blood test done, my iron was fine but my thyroid was underactive. Not sure if that had anything to do with how I was feeling, I have to go back to the doc this week so time will tell.

I improved my diet, cut out the crap and alcohol. I lost 6kgs from my race weight for cork:D. I think this was a turing point- I was starting to turn the corner, I was hitting my targets during tempo’s and LSR’s. I was getting back on track, starting to feel strong again.
    I did the 10 miler in the park as a tune up in 1:13 and felt comfortable and knew I had more in the tank. I tapered well and was Berlin bound! I felt I’d sorted the body as much as I could given the time frame, now the hard part….sorting my head out:rolleyes:.

On the recommendation from another thread, (cheers Tuguska), I bought and read a book called ‘Brain training for runners’. It’s not a light read but I found it very helpful in one aspect in particular- distinguishing between pain and suffering in a race or hard session. You can’t avoid the pain, but by accepting it and keeping a lid on it you can limit the suffering. This was another breakthrough for me, previously in training and races I didn’t know how to deal with it, I let the pain in too much and allowed myself to suffer more than necessary. I felt if I had known during Cork what I knew now I wouldn’t have had a DNF that day, some important lessons had been learned.

Prerace in Berlin:
    Arrived late on Friday, straight to the hotel and went to bed. The expo and registration were huge and just as busy as you’d expect from a big city race, got everything sorted and didn’t hang about.
    Went down to the finishing straight at the Brandenburg gate and visualized the following day. The nerves and excitement were building; I just wanted to get going. Loaded up on carbs all day having 4/5 small meals rather than having one huge load of pasta in the evening, which hasn’t suited me in the past. Stayed off my feet as much as possible and went to bed early for a very fitful nights 'sleep'!

Race day

Perfect conditions, the weather gods had held up their end of the bargin, now it was my turn.
    Got to the start area early after a good brekkie. Didn’t feel as nervous as some previous race’s, I was determined to own it, I was ready. Got into a Q for the jacks which took half an hour, Stepped in to the porto loo, tried to resist the urge to look through the seat into the cest pit and failed, as I looked down my sunglasses fell from their perch a top my head into the filth below:eek: 40 euro down $hitter!

Jumped into the pen about a hundred yards back in the second wave, it was very busy, even taking the advice of sticking to the left had side. I got as close as possible to the 3:30 balloons and had a chat with some of the runners around me. BANG…off go the party balloons, wheelchair races, elites, 1st wave and then, a shuffle forward and 7 minutes later, I crossed the mat.

Mile 1-4

Relax, Breath and Cruise for the first half, this was my mantra. Man it was congested, the 3:30 balloons were drifting away from me a bit already, but I promised myself I wouldn’t get caught up in weaving around people and using up too much energy at the start as I’d done in New York last year. First mile went by in 8:34…. I started weaving:o!
    Mile 2 was @ 7:50, better but still trying to keep calm and find some space to run my own race. It calmed down a bit and the balloons were coming back to me, a 7:30 for mile 3 warned me to calm down and I settled into it.
    This was the first race I’d done with no mile markers so I’d printed of a pace band of my 5k splits to keep an eye on things whilst keeping the balloons in my sights. A 3:30 marathon would mean 5k splits of 24:53. First 5k split was 24:53! I knew I’d have to hit closer to mid 24’s to give myself some breathing space and allow for a slightly long course (ended up 26.56).

Mile 4-13

I managed to stay relaxed and conserved as much energy as possible. I also kept reminding myself to enjoy it, I high fived a few kids and took in the atmosphere.
    The route was unremarkable, with few real points of interest, but the support was good and more importantly I was feeling good.
    Hit halfway in 1:44:52, only 8 seconds inside 3:30 time, maybe I’d been enjoying it too much! Having not built up a cushion, I decided to quicken the pace a go for a negative split.

Mile 13-20

The miles were ticking by nicely. Having quickened slightly I was starting to pass a lot of people, which felt good. Reached the 17 mile mark where I’d really started to struggle in my last 2 marathons, I still felt strong.
    My 5k splits had all been 10-20 seconds inside target pace. I’d taken a gel at 6, 12 and 18 miles, each time walking through the water stations while washing them down.
    Mile 19 and I felt a worrying, familiar feeling- a stich in my left hand side. I’d started to get them over the last few months since Cork where I’d suffered from one which ultimately forced me to stop. $hit….not again. It was really sore but I had some experience of dealing with them now……don’t let the pain in, stay positive, I told myself, I spent the next mile breathing deeply and exhaling hard and long, the garmin beeped for mile 20 @ 7:40. My pace hadn’t slowed and the stich was under control. Time for the race to begin!

Mile 20-24

I was passing a lot of people at this stage, the crowds of supporters were getting bigger, the bands were getting louder and I was running faster 7:40, 7:38, 7:41, 7:46, 7:28. I felt I was being swept home, but I also knew I was now racing, we hit the first real set of corners since the race began, every time I rounded one I thought I was going to be met with the anticipated view of the Brandenburg. It was tough, I was starting to feel it, there was pain- but minimal suffering.

Mile 24-26

The crowds were starting to edge into the streets more to get a view, this narrowed the course a lot and I was struggling to get around people as I could feel my calves starting twinge with the twisting motion and direction changes. My pace slowed to a 7:48 & 7:57. But nothing was going to stop me, I turned the last corner and saw the Brandenburg, I knew that there was still a way to go to the finish from there but decided to just go for it.

The Grand Finale

Under the gates, calves on fire, big smile on my face. I remembered the bad experienced I’d had of late. I remembered how somebody on this forums (Krusty) I think, mentioned taking those bad experiences, bottling them up till the next time. Well the feeling of popping that cork while running that last stretch will live long in the memory. I ran on, one arm raised, fist clenched and then realized that a one armed salute, while running through the Brandenburg gate might be frowned upon! So I smiled at the cameras and tried to pass as many people as I could for a sprint finish.

Summery: 3:28:44 chip time. One minute negative split- 1:44:52 and 1:43:52
    HR 85% Average. I was very happy and feeling like I could have gone a bit faster with less congestion, but that didn’t matter, for me this race was about the 3:30 monkey and getting back to enjoying running and racing. I’d worn a HRM for the first time since my first marathon, my heart rate was 1 bpm lower for this race even though I’d run it 56 minutes quicker which is a nice feeling of progression since I started running in 2009.

And yet here I sit with that familiar empty feeling, the feeling of loss. You know the one- so much invested, so much time and effort, so many emotions, and then it’s over. I had no thoughts of what I’d do after Berlin, I feel like I’ve been following a training plan all year, probably because I have!

Now, where is that race calendar thread…….is it too late for Dublin……ah $hit- registrations closed……..anybody got a spare entry!?!;)

Great run and great report Sideswipe. Lovely to meet you. The next marathon goal should be that you will be unable to crouch on your hunkers for at least a week afterwards.. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

claralara wrote: »
    Great run and great report Sideswipe. Lovely to meet you. The next marathon goal should be that you will be unable to crouch on your hunkers for at least a week afterwards.. ;):D

Ha Ha, I was just showing off (inside I was crying!) Great to meet you and Digs too. Just read your report (epic as per usual!), that was a savage run, well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Rolex_ wrote: »

Excellent race report and a great reminder to us all that we should heed the warning signs. Congrats on finishing (and avoiding the medical tentwink.png).
    Pity we missed you in the pub, I'm sure I walked by you, your family and Eau Rouge lots of times:(

Advertisement