Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon 30/9/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ButchMG

Hi all, getting very excited about this. Travelling on Thursday morning to allow time for acclimatisation / wife's shopping. A couple of questions:

1. Is this as flat a course as everyone says? (I'm sure it's referred to above in the thread, but feck it, I'm lazy).

2. Does anyone have any tips for not sleeping the night before a marathon? Unless it's Dublin and my own scratcher, I get an average of about 1 / 2 hours, which drives me mad. (Please, no homeopathic / placebo or other bull**** remedies, unless they REALLY work)

I'm not sure but I think the rain at the moment might be a blessing in disguise. I feel guilty not running, but reckon it might be for the best to allow some rest....

Name - Bib - Prediction - Actual
    menoscemo - 6825 - 3:04:59
    Rolex_ - 31577 - 2:59:15
    Vagga - 21555 - 3.35.00
    macinalli - 19372 - 3:18
    Sideswipe - 33268 - 3:29:599
    Marthastew - F2203- 4.XX.XX
    Mr Stew - 8782- 3.29.59
    EauRouge- 21299 - 2:59:30
    Pronator- 19343-02:xx:xx
    Pre- - 02:02:59
    claralara - F2068 -3:14:xx
    digger - tbc - 3:19:xx
    digijem - F5605 -3:55:00
    pyrat - 6443 - 2:59:30
    ButchMG - 29628 - 3:25:00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

ButchMG wrote: »
    Hi all, getting very excited about this. Travelling on Thursday morning to allow time for acclimatisation / wife's shopping. A couple of questions:

1. Is this as flat a course as everyone says? (I'm sure it's referred to above in the thread, but feck it, I'm lazy).

2. Does anyone have any tips for not sleeping the night before a marathon? Unless it's Dublin and my own scratcher, I get an average of about 1 / 2 hours, which drives me mad. (Please, no homeopathic / placebo or other bull**** remedies, unless they REALLY work)

I'm not sure but I think the rain at the moment might be a blessing in disguise. I feel guilty not running, but reckon it might be for the best to allow some rest....

There are others here that have ran it before and are better placed to comment on just how flat it is or isn't, but it's not the world record course for no reason. HERE is the profile.

In terms of sleep, I'm trying to get plenty of rest all week before I go. Early nights all the way, at least then I'll be better prepared for any broken sleep over there. Reading a book is the only thing that helps to focus my mind on something else and helps me sleep.

Really looking forward to it now, taper madness has reached Defcon 5. Bought and drank a carton of beat-root juice yesterday.....feck me tis rough stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Flat as you can get. Always found first 5k long and from 40k on short so don't be nervous if your behind at 5k. As for sleep I normally hit bed after a big feed and sleep until 3. Put it this way you ain't going to win Thr race do why worry bout it

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

2. Does anyone have any tips for not sleeping the night before a marathon? QUOTE]

Yes, its as flat as reported! I sometimes feel that little uphill or downhill can actually help the legs. Running the whole distance flat can somewhat deaden the legs.

Try and get as much sleep as possible early in the week. All bets are off on marathon eve. Try not to worry about it as VR says.

• Advertisement

Getting home might be fun!!!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0925/breaking26.html

Might have to change to a sunday flight because of work commitments early next week if this goes ahead:mad:

sideswipe wrote: »

Might have to change to a sunday flight because of work commitments early next week if this goes ahead:mad:

Yes, I nearly cacked myself when I heard this reported on the radio. Thankfully (for me at least), I'm coming back Sunday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

sideswipe wrote: »

Yeah, it's a bummer alright. I heard on the radio this morning that the plan is to effectively close the irish Airports for 2 hours early Monday morning but we won't know until the last minute if it is going to go ahead... Hopefully the fact that I am booked on the last flight on monday (9pm) will mean the delay is cleared.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Not flying out until quite late Monday, so hope its cleared by then :(

A lot of tough talking around it, and I cant see the problem being sorted before then given the scale of the [apparent] hole in their pension fund :(

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Not flying out until quite late Monday, so hope its cleared by then :(

A lot of tough talking around it, and I cant see the problem being sorted before then given the scale of the [apparent] hole in their pension fund :(

The only thing to do is put it to the back of your minds and focus on the main job at hand.. Monday will look after itself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Rolex_ wrote: »
    The only thing to do is put it to the back of your minds and focus on the main job at hand.. Monday will look after itself

+1 I'd be more worried if there was a problem with flights Friday/Saturday. I ran in Madrid tin 2010 when the fecking ash cloud was playing havoc. We just about got out. They reopened airport for a few hours we flew out then they closed it again about an hour later. Didn't care what they did on the return leg as long as we got out.

PS best of luck to you all, have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Best of luck all, ran it in 2008, fantastic experience. Would do it again but I have a big list and not enough time.

Best of luck to the two sisters ;) Pre and Pronator, do it for the country

Abhainn wrote: »
    Best of luck to the two sisters ;) Pre and Pronator, do it for the country

Feck that,the lads are going for the club marathon record ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Best of luck to all that are gunning for times this weekend. Looking at a few logs and there has been some savage work put in - it will all pay off on the day.

I had bigger aspirations for myself when I entered last December (yes, it was that long ago when we signed up) but life/work has conspired against me. I'm gonna go out, enjoy the atmosphere and will more importantly try get to the oscar wilde in time for the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Very best of luck to ye all Sunday, absolutely loved it there last year so can't wait to read all the race reports (and Oscar Wilde reports :)). Oh and enjoy the free beer at the finish line, even though non-alcoholic it definitely goes down as one of my most enjoyable beers ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Best of luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Has anyone found the link to track runners on the day via the bib number? I was trying to find it this morning with no luck.

opus wrote: »
    Has anyone found the link to track runners on the day via the bib number? I was trying to find it this morning with no luck.

Not sure about online, but the free App has a section were you can search names or bib numbers and save them to favorites, split and finish times will be available on it I believe-

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/service/bmw-berlinmarathon-app.html

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Best of luck everybody - enjoy yourselves and watch out for the hilly sections ;)

Looking forward to the race reports and lots of PBs

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Best of luck everybody - enjoy yourselves and watch out for the hilly sections ;)

Looking forward to the race reports and lots of PBs

Thanks for all the good wishes - still trying to shake off a cold for 4 days- munching Sudafed and Panadol - here's hoping it clears in the next 2 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

dev123 wrote: »
    Best of luck to all that are gunning for times this weekend. Looking at a few logs and there has been some savage work put in - it will all pay off on the day.

I had bigger aspirations for myself when I entered last December (yes, it was that long ago when we signed up) but life/work has conspired against me. I'm gonna go out, enjoy the atmosphere and will more importantly try get to the oscar wilde in time for the hurling Ryder Cup

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

First one there picks the channel? :pac:

Maybe Sex and the City will be on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

digger2d2 wrote: »

I had bigger aspirations for myself when I entered last December (yes, it was that long ago when we signed up) but life/work has conspired against me. I'm gonna go out, enjoy the atmosphere and will more importantly try get to the oscar wilde in time for the hurling Ryder Cup

;)

I'm happy with the golf. The singles will only be starting around 6pm local time so there will be no overlap....and definitely no sex in the city!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Best of luck to all you guys & gals on Sunday. Can't wait to read the reports.

I'm happy with the golf. The singles will only be starting around 6pm local time so there will be no overlap....and definitely no sex in the city!!!

But...but... Meno promised me if I get a pb :D;)

I think he promised you sex in the city of Berlin. Thats where the confusion may lie ;)

TRR wrote: »
    I think he promised you sex in the city of Berlin. Thats where the confusion may lie ;)

Forget all that smutty talk, I just watched the windmill and the finger bangs, fantastic stuff, inspiring too :D;)... If I'm of sound mind at the finish line I'll go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Best of luck to everyone heading for Berlin. Hard work done, time to kick some ass now. Hope you all achieve the times you're hoping for

All packed and ready to go. Really looking forward to it, just need to make sure my head is right as this is where i've let myself down in the past.

Good luck to everybody and hope to put some faces to names in the pub afterwards, hopefully there will be plenty of these :D and none of these :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Hello from the train into Berlin :)

Staying at motel one near hauptbanhoff if anyone within shouting distance later or indeed tomorrow.

Wondering about going to sat morning 6k breakfast easy run to Olympic stadium - did not do it in Paris and regretted it :)

Advertisement