Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Homevalue are having a promotion nation wide tomorrow only.
    10 bales Bord Na Mona smokeless peat briquettes.€35.
    The Homevalue store in Galway city is T.O'HIGGIN'S Shantalla. <phone number snipped>. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Knocks a couple quid off of a similar deal at Joyces. But who wants 10 bales sitting around if you just occasionally have a fire? Disappointed Joyce's scrapped their deal on 5 bales a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bring your own cheese

500L from Mor Oil seems to be the best offer atm, €289 just checked there

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

Hi does anyone know what turff is like to burn in open fire, it seems to be fairly cheap and I have never used it, any information appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Anyone used ecofuel in Ballybane (http://ecofuel.ie/) prices seem reasonable for collection -?

- Oak, 300Kg bag/99EUR
    - Ash 280Kg bag/99EUR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

karen89 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know what turff is like to burn in open fire, it seems to be fairly cheap and I have never used it, any information appreciated

Turf would be fine to burn in an open fire but it all depends on the quality of the turf. The heat will never be as good as coal.
    Have you seen a good deal on turf?

Anyone used ecofuel in Ballybane (http://ecofuel.ie/) prices seem reasonable for collection -?

- Oak, 300Kg bag/99EUR
    - Ash 280Kg bag/99EUR

Seems reasonable but a trailer would be needed for 300kg.
    Might be worth trying a small bag of the logs first before buying 300kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

karen89 wrote: »

If you're buying it in bags there is a chance the sods could still be damp after the wet summer, would be next to impossible to light if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Turf isn't great for heat output imo. Coal briquettes or decent wood all better

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Anybody get any oil recently?
    What are they pricing at them moment?

I see woodies are doing a 3cwt coal bunker for €85, not a bad price methinks.

• Advertisement

Anybody get any oil recently?
    What are they pricing at them moment?

I see woodies are doing a 3cwt coal bunker for €85, not a bad price methinks.

Got 500 liters about 3 weeks ago - €300.
    I think it had dropped afterwards to €285 but a quick look a fews mins ago and it's now at €304.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

A couple of places have 500l oil for 295, I'm hoping to get that sharpish. It's such an outlay! I need to find out if this house has a working fireplace, actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

A couple of places have 500l oil for 295, I'm hoping to get that sharpish. It's such an outlay! I need to find out if this house has a working fireplace, actually...

During the period of snow (2010??) I paid 96 cent a ltr that's 480 for what you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭tmh106

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a bottled gas cylinder in the city or environs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

tmh106 wrote: »
    Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a bottled gas cylinder in the city or environs?
    A) It depends which type of cylinder you need.
    B) The fuel depots are generally a tiny but cheaper than the corner shops but there usually isn't more than €1-€2 in it which isn't much on a €30 cylinder.

Anyone got a good supplier of dry seasoned hardwood (min 12 months), suitable for stove, preferably Ash or Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Ecofuels do those types of hardwood kiln dried. Have used before, great quality wood and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I have got a few loads of firewood from Connolly Sawmills in the past.

I think I paid €125 per metre hardwood delivered.
    And just to add, it is the absolute bees knees. Driest timber you'll get anywhere. Properly done in their kiln.

I found I was burning too much of it though as I have a big stove. Using turf & coal mix this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

aw wrote: »
    I have got a few loads of firewood from Connolly Sawmills in the past.

I think I paid €125 per metre hardwood delivered.
    And just to add, it is the absolute bees knees. Driest timber you'll get anywhere. Properly done in their kiln.

I found I was burning too much of it though as I have a big stove. Using turf & coal mix this winter.

Plus one, absolutely great timber

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »

Cheers guys, I'll give them a call.

I am pi$$ed of with getting unseasoned/crap/damp timber. The difference in performance between the good stuff and the bad stuff is quite noticeable.

If there are other recommended suppliers let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

b.gud wrote: »

Yes I forgot to mention them. Great stuff - I got a 1000KG for e250 but it was a truck tip, so I had to be prepared to move and stack it - I put it inside as there's little point in storing kiln dried timber outside in our climate as the moisture gets back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Can someone recommend good coal for an open fire?

I used Super-therm from Corrib Oil last and didn't find it very good, took ages to light and didn't give off a whole load of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

Hello,
    I'm looking to get a trailer load of oak firewood for a stove, any recommendations ? 
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

thebackbar, I moved your post to the mega-merge for heating stuffs

thebackbar wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm looking to get a trailer load of oak firewood for a stove, any recommendations ? 
    Thanks

Connolly Sawmills in Turloughmore.
    Deliver to town aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

tmh106 wrote: »

Topaz newcastle had butane at €28.95 a couple of weeks back. Don't know if its fone back to normal price ir not, €32 give or take iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

cocoman wrote: »
    thebackbar wrote: »
    Hello,
    Thanks

Connolly Sawmills in Turloughmore.
    Deliver to town aswell.
    Thanks, phoned yesterday, delivered today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Has anyone priced oil recently? What sort of price should I be paying this winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Has anyone priced oil recently? What sort of price should I be paying this winter

Heres a handy link for you: http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/galway

Advertisement