Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

skelliser wrote: »
    400kg of turf?

Well I've never heard of a turf depot nor bought it by weight, so...

But Buzz, a tonne of coal wouldn't be too big a deal to transport if you can borrow a trailer from someone. Best ring the lads themselves and see what their price differences are.
    Avoid that eazyglow/cozyglow ****e if you can at all, there's fk all heat from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I worked in the oil industry a few years ago and I know from experience that most suppliers provide prices based on quantity ordered. Therefore, each supplier will have different prices depending on the amount you order. So it is inaccurate to say one supplier is cheaper than another as it all depends on the amount you order. In any event, there is little difference between the suppliers in Galway. In my experience, Corrib Oil are probably the best priced but I would advise anyone to call around to get different quotes for the quantity you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

BESman wrote: »
    I worked in the oil industry a few years ago and I know from experience that most suppliers provide prices based on quantity ordered. Therefore, each supplier will have different prices depending on the amount you order. So it is inaccurate to say one supplier is cheaper than another as it all depends on the amount you order. In any event, there is little difference between the suppliers in Galway. In my experience, Corrib Oil are probably the best priced but I would advise anyone to call around to get different quotes for the quantity you want.

Not necessarily so. Oil companies will give standard quotes based on 500 or 1000 litres.

I use this to determine who is the cheapest in my area (I border 3 different delivery areas) Prices can vary between companies by 10 to 40 euro for a set quote.

Some companies just take the proverbial....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Going by the Texoil online ordering tool its now at €415 for 500l. Thats gone up €10 from when I checked last week.
    Ill call around tomorrow also and see what prices I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

service station down the docks have smokeless coal 20kg bags for 6.99euro
    cheapest iv seen in the city.

The service station at carnmore cross has 10 bales of briquettes for ~33euro iirc

i suspect the 400kg of coal for 120euro mentioned above is normal coal so its useless to city dwellers. we can only burn smokeless coal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Well if you have an open fire consider putting in a insert stove burns alot less fuel and throws out way more heat for longer. Got one last winter and its a very worthwhile investment.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

orangebud wrote: »
    Oranmore petrol station was selling 10 bales for around 30 last year

The new petrol station by the harbour hotel had a deal like that 1 or 2 years ago. Joyce's typically offers a deal something akin to 5 for €18 but think they changed it last year (in their favour)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

skelliser wrote: »

i suspect the 400kg of coal for 120euro mentioned above is normal coal so its useless to city dwellers. we can only burn smokeless coal.

That's not actually correct. It's illegal to sell coal that isn't smokeless in the city. It's not illegal to burn it. Nothing to stop a person buying normal coal outside the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

petrol station at the docks has briquttes 10 for 30 but they are not bord na mona. they are slightly smaller in size but seem to burn about the same.
    They have a big sign up saying to ask about bulk discount on coal and briquttes so that may be even cheaper not sure on price though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Well if you have an open fire consider putting in a insert stove burns alot less fuel and throws out way more heat for longer. Got one last winter and its a very worthwhile investment.

+1

We put in one of these stoves during the summer and the heat in the sitting room compared to the open fire is outstanding!!!
    3 briquettes burning in it heats the whole room, just sorry we didn't get one years ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

+1

We put in one of these stoves during the summer:)

Thinking of doing this also. What type of stove did you get and from where? was it expensive?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Just got 500 litres of oil from Corrib Oil.

When i called they wanted 435 euro.

After haggling i got if for 400 euro. That's the best i could get:)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Seems to be a very proactive group re oil pricing.

Would it be worth setting up a mini consumer group where we group together and negotiate a group discount. Im sure there would be a few oil companies that would jump at the chance at supplying 10,000 litres or so at a smaller margin? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

I like the idea, but what happens when we're all over the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

headmaster wrote: »
    I like the idea, but what happens when we're all over the country?
    emm, this is the galway city forum. Check out the other Regional forums to see if anyone's interested in getting together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ya would like to know what an insert stove is aswell?

never heard of it!! lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

500 liters paid 410 euro. texoil. today.

Folks, can we get a quick show of people that might be interested to get together on this.

Say if we can get 20 people each willing to purchase 500 litres, that's 10,000 litres. It should get us a pretty good discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

portcrap wrote: »
    Folks, can we get a quick show of people that might be interested to get together on this.

Say if we can get 20 people each willing to purchase 500 litres, that's 10,000 litres. It should get us a pretty good discount.

Sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

Interested - only problem is Im going to need some oil pretty soon, starting to get cold in here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

If theres anyone in the Monivea looking to get oil let me know!! Texoil seem to be the cheapest for oil and if there's a few in the Monivea/Carnmore area they would deliver from the same load, saving on price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Hi,
    to be honest, I can't see how 20 stops is going to get you much of a saving. If 10 of you got 1000 ltrs, you might get a bit off. Why don't you try to get a couple of schools to go with you, they'll have tanks that will take over 2000 ltrs a go, THAT WILL HELP. Tell us how you get on, I might give you more ideas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

I'm willing to link up with others in the Tuam area.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Keep an eye on your tanks, a mate of mine had his tank emptied in Renmore recently.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Keep an eye on your tanks, a mate of mine had his tank emptied in Renmore recently.

The thing is these boys know what they are doing
    • A regular oil tanker is used for oil thefts so it looks like you are getting a delivery while u are out however the pump is instead taking oil from the oil tank to tanker
    • They almost never empty a tank but leave enough that you wont notice until a couple of months / weeks has elapsed
    • Make sure sure your oil tank is behind a locked gate
    • Buy rotwiler/ Jack Russell / Alligator for yard
    • Lock your tank
    • Beware of holes being drilled and bunged at side of tank
    • Buy a video camera and cover area of the tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flingfolk

Great idea on the oil sharing idea. Anyone in Salthill into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can someone clarify, how will it be shared buying if the truck still must go to many different addresses?
    Has it been done before successfully?

Im still up for it.

The idea is not that the oil company will have to go to many different addresses, this could be negated if we group by area, but that there will be bulk purchase discount. In other words the oil company will take a small hit on its margin to be guaranteed business, and stop additional business going to its competitor.

By the way this could be done on a tender business. The oil companies would have to offer their best price for the business.

I like the idea of getting the schools involved, but probably best to keep this simple for starters and see how it pans out.

If people are serious, no harm in asking neighbors and/or friends and family if they want in. The more the better discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd be up for it too.

Advertisement