Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses - Reunited! (Dublin Date) - *NO ticket sales/requests - Discussion only*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Big Game wrote: »

Last night, was epic, I grew up with that band, was 18 when the debut album came out and they changed my life, changed the way I dressed, grew my hair and so on. It can't be understated just how important a band they were (are?), you just don't see the level of devotion that was visible last night at any other gigs and it was the same in Manchester. Sound was a bit ify for Mersey Paradise but it got sorted quickly enough, they were really in the groove for the 2nd half of the show. She bangs the drums was incredible but Made of Stone last night was the highlight of the 2 gigs for me, absolutely incredible when the first chorus kicked in but the final chorus after the guitar solo was spinetingling, the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just thinking about it.

Spot on mate, you totally nailed it with that post.

I've been to a lot of big outdoor gigs over the years but Thursday night was just way and above the best I've ever been at. There was a brilliant, joyous atmosphere that you rarely see at the big gigs and it was great to see so many people in their 30s and 40s (and beyond!) just getting so into it, singing, crying, falling over, whatever. Nothing against the younger generation by the way, I was delighted to see lots of younger folk there getting to see what the old fogeys have been banging on about for years!

Yes the venue was crap, yes we had to queue up like lemmings for warm beer and yes the sound could have been better but if you think any of that stuff really matters then I think you're missing the point.

I read an article on the Indo website the other day where the writer basically said even though she was a huge fan she couldn't go to it because it would have ruined her memories. I'm ****ing delighted people like her missed it because they just don't get what the Roses were and are about - creating a united spirit, bringing people's emotions to the fore and just pure living for the moment.

One small gripe though! I would love to have heard them play What The World Is Waiting For...I think it's an absolute belter of a song. Here's hoping they play it next time. Cheers to Ian, John, Mani and Reni. You made my ****ing year lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

I've been to a lot of big outdoor gigs over the years but Thursday night was just way and above the best I've ever been at. There was a brilliant, joyous atmosphere that you rarely see at the big gigs and it was great to see so many people in their 30s and 40s (and beyond!) just getting so into it, singing, crying, falling over, whatever. Nothing against the younger generation by the way, I was delighted to see lots of younger folk there getting to see what the old fogeys have been banging on about for years!

Yes the venue was crap, yes we had to queue up like lemmings for warm beer and yes the sound could have been better but if you think any of that stuff really matters then I think you're missing the point.

I read an article on the Indo website the other day where the writer basically said even though she was a huge fan she couldn't go to it because it would have ruined her memories. I'm ****ing delighted people like her missed it because they just don't get what the Roses were and are about - creating a united spirit, bringing people's emotions to the fore and just pure living for the moment.

One small gripe though! I would love to have heard them play What The World Is Waiting For...I think it's an absolute belter of a song. Here's hoping they play it next time. Cheers to Ian, John, Mani and Reni. You made my ****ing year lads!

100%. Same with some of the reviews /posts I've seen about Ian Brown's voice, the fact that he hits the odd bum note never mattered, everyone knows his range is limited but his stage presence and charisma always made up for that. Plus if you have 45,000 people singing every word (not to mention singing half the riffs) then the comumnal noise and vibe overrides any vocal limitations.

Fair point about What the world is waiting for as well and you could add Elephant Stone and a couple of tracks from Second Coming (Tightrope & Good Times maybe) but it was still hard to find fault with the 19 tracks they played, still buzzing after it, dying to see what they come up with if they do manage to get a 3rd album together....

Great gig. Bit of a rough element, though, which surprised me because I assumed that since the crowd were older they would be better behaved.

One incident really annoyed me to see. I was outside the bar and some guy was wobbling along with a tray of four beers when some guy came out of nowhere, ran straight into him (somehow the bloke pushed managed to save most of the beer) and then ran off. Anyway, I was thinking 'what a fool', when the guy who ran into him stopped, turned around to his mates and walked back laughing after yer man walked on. So basically this guy ran into him to spill his beer and no reason other than to be a dickhead. Now, if this guy was 16 or something I would write it off as teenage high jinks, but this bloke was easily 40 if not more.

It kinda set the tone, crowd-wise for me, a bunch of drunken, messy 40 year olds with 2.4 children at home desperate to recapture their lost youth... kinds like the Roses!

Great gig, though. Really enjoyed seeing Reni and Mani playing together.

If you thought that was a rough crowd I'd have to assume you're not getting out much these days. Thank Christ you weren't there last night in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Ah yes, I forgot about What the world is waiting for. I love Elephant stone but they cant them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was disappointed they didn't play WTFIWF at any of the gigs too.
    I used to have the Fool's Gold single on cassette and it was on it, along with the extended version of Fool's Gold, which they played so I was more than happy at that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ElephantStone

you had all day to drink before they started

Thats not his point at all? He's totally right, they closed early and he's well within his rights to be annoyed. No need to be a condescending twat about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Was hoping the would play Tightrope. One of my faves from Second Coming and they played it brilliantly in 95. Still sounds excellent on Crimson Tonight.

Delighted they played Made of Stone though as its been a long time fave. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

C***s like this have gotten on my wick over the past few weeks, but having seen them at HP and PP in the past week, and not a hint of them coming close to shredding any legacy, I am more of a fan today than I was a fortnight ago - and the roses are my favourite of all time.

Some people consider themselves too cool to be there, but no one who is really a fan would stop themselves from going to see something we've all only dreamt about since Feile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

C***s like this have gotten on my wick over the past few weeks, but having seen them at HP and PP in the past week, and not a hint of them coming close to shredding any legacy, I am more of a fan today than I was a fortnight ago - and the roses are my favourite of all time.

Some people consider themselves too cool to be there, but no one who is really a fan would stop themselves from going to see something we've all only dreamt about since Feile.

I don't know the Indo writer and I haven't read the piece, but respectfully i think you (and others) are unfair and over the top calling them and others "c***s"...

TSR outdoors in parks and stadiums is about as far away from the old TSR in 200-400 pre-megastar indoor venues as you can get. It was a different time, everyone is different 25+ years on (band and fans) and the experience of seeing the Roses is different. Sorry, but even Feile was TSR on their way out, and was nothing remotely like the Roses in places like Haigh Buildings, International, Queens Hall.. even Blackpool.

If the Indo writer attended a 200-400 venue in the mid-late 80's then like most Roses gig attendee's they will have ended up with a unique personal experience which can and will differ from the person standing next to them. It doesn't make them right or wrong, it just gives them a somewhat unique perspective.. it doesn't make them "c***s" because you don't like the fact that they don't want to stand in a field of 45,000+ fans experiencing TSR in a polar opposite manner to what they felt and experienced 25+ years ago. It's just their personal experience of what the Roses may have meant to them all those years ago. That Indo writer is not unique, noone I know from Liverpool/Manchester who also travelled around the UK in the 80's following the Roses (and sleeping in train/bus stations) had any interest in going to HP or PP, because it's not anywhere near the experience they had in the 80's, and much like the Indo writer seemed to claim, its not memories they want to forget. Again, it's neither right nor wrong.. and it definately doesn't make them "c***s"...

Respectfully, if you only ever attended Feile sized Roses events when the band was falling apart already, then in fairness you probably don't have any idea or experience of the "legacy" you mentioned....

(this post is not meant as an attack on you, but an explanation of what the Indo (and other Roses fans) can feel.. no offense is meant to you or others).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Welease wrote: »
    I don't know the Indo writer and I haven't read the piece, but respectfully i think you (and others) are unfair and over the top calling them and others "c***s"...

TSR outdoors in parks and stadiums is about as far away from the old TSR in 200-400 pre-megastar indoor venues as you can get. It was a different time, everyone is different 25+ years on (band and fans) and the experience of seeing the Roses is different. Sorry, but even Feile was TSR on their way out, and was nothing remotely like the Roses in places like Haigh Buildings, International, Queens Hall.. even Blackpool.

If the Indo writer attended a 200-400 venue in the mid-late 80's then like most Roses gig attendee's they will have ended up with a unique personal experience which can and will differ from the person standing next to them. It doesn't make them right or wrong, it just gives them a somewhat unique perspective.. it doesn't make them "c***s" because you don't like the fact that they don't want to stand in a field of 45,000+ fans experiencing TSR in a polar opposite manner to what they felt and experienced 25+ years ago. It's just their personal experience of what the Roses may have meant to them all those years ago. That Indo writer is not unique, noone I know from Liverpool/Manchester who also travelled around the UK in the 80's following the Roses (and sleeping in train/bus stations) had any interest in going to HP or PP, because it's not anywhere near the experience they had in the 80's, and much like the Indo writer seemed to claim, its not memories they want to forget. Again, it's neither right nor wrong.. and it definately doesn't make them "c***s"...

Respectfully, if you only ever attended Feile sized Roses events when the band was falling apart already, then in fairness you probably don't have any idea or experience of the "legacy" you mentioned....

(this post is not meant as an attack on you, but an explanation of what the Indo (and other Roses fans) can feel.. no offense is meant to you or others).

You’re right, c*nts is a strong word. But that writer still missed out. Times change, bands change, but not always for the worse. A music journalist should understand that more than most. Everyone would have loved to have seen them play three or four nights in somewhere like the Olympia, but it was never going to happen. People shouldn’t turn their backs on a band just because they gain more popularity. Sure, it’s cool and exclusive to know about a great band that few of your peers do, but most of those bands get discovered eventually, a lot of the time through music journalists giving them glowing reviews.
    You’re right about Feile’95, anyone who had that as their last memory of a Roses gig needed to have it overwritten, but a lot of people gave out stink about the Spike Island gig (very much a far cry from the small venue from the 80’s you mentioned) at the time too, badly arranged, cr*p sound etc. yet I don’t think there is a Stone Roses fan in the world who wishes they had not gone, or worse (like me) wishes they had, including that writer.

• Advertisement

Just for the record, here is that article from last Friday's Indo

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/helen-moorhouse-theyre-my-favourite-band-ever-but-i-still-didnt-bother-to-go-and-see-stone-roses-live-in-the-park-3160972.html

Calling her a c*** is slightly OTT alright! But there is something self-serving and precious about her argument. Anyway, read it for yourselves if you want.

By the way, is anyone going to see them in Belfast? I hadn't been planning on going because of work but I might be able to do it if I can get back to Dublin straight after the gig. Anyone got any info on buses going back?

D-FENS wrote: »
    You’re right, c*nts is a strong word. But that writer still missed out. Times change, bands change, but not always for the worse. A music journalist should understand that more than most. Everyone would have loved to have seen them play three or four nights in somewhere like the Olympia, but it was never going to happen. People shouldn’t turn their backs on a band just because they gain more popularity. Sure, it’s cool and exclusive to know about a great band that few of your peers do, but most of those bands get discovered eventually, a lot of the time through music journalists giving them glowing reviews.
    You’re right about Feile’95, anyone who had that as their last memory of a Roses gig needed to have it overwritten, but a lot of people gave out stink about the Spike Island gig (very much a far cry from the small venue from the 80’s you mentioned) at the time too, badly arranged, cr*p sound etc. yet I don’t think there is a Stone Roses fan in the world who wishes they had not gone, or worse (like me) wishes they had, including that writer.

I agree.. I'm just pointing out to the previous poster that they were over the top, and should try to understand differing opinions which are all relevant despite being opposite. If the experience would change negatively for that writer, then its of equal importance to an experience being better to someone else.. it doesn't make them "c***s" :)

Actually (just to add some spice ;)).. I know plenty of people (including me :eek:) who attended Spike Island (still have my ticket here) and it really wouldn't bother me not to have attended.. Apart from the sound being dire (outdoor is never going to be as good as indoor), the crowd was completely different from previous Roses gigs.. it was teen girls putting make up on (fair enough).. and a large element who were abusive to support band Ruff Ruff and Ready (who were excellent). Coins and bottles were being thrown at the band while they played, so much so that they stopped playing, singled out a few abusive members of the crowd and invited them to keep throwing coins while everyone watched.. Those idiots slinked off through the crowd, and once the band started again the same behaviour began again. There were literally less than 200 people down the front who gave the band the respect they deserved, and the band did thank them before leaving the stage finally. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVvvPkDeBTY)
    It wasn't the Roses fault that the crowd had a large amount of muppets, but the experience of a Roses gig had changed colossally from Alexander Palace (which was 6,500 attendees) to Spike Island (at around 30,000). By the time it got to Feile, Reni was gone and Squire not far behind, a world away from the Roses with their initial swagger.
    Again, neither right nor wrong, but many older Roses fans prefer to remember the original early Roses, and it's somewhat amazing that folks just can't accept that.

I'm not calling her specifically a c***, but have had a few c**** over the past week fire that very same line at me.

I'm sure, after the success of each gig, that they're still stroking their chins safe in the knowledge that they've made the right decision and retained their cool.

They didn't make the right decision, and why cheapen anyone's experience of the gigs by suggesting that those going were going to witness the flogging of a dead horse.

I've never been at a better gig than Heaton Park last weekend.

Ok, I've never seen them in a 400 capacity gig, but I know enough about them to know that they have enough integrity not to descecrate the grave of seminal Manchester pop group The Stone Roses.

If the Indo writer attended a 200-400 venue in the mid-late 80's then like most Roses gig attendee's they will have ended up with a unique personal experience which can and will differ from the person standing next to them. It doesn't make them right or wrong, it just gives them a somewhat unique perspective.. it doesn't make them "c***s" because you don't like the fact that they don't want to stand in a field of 45,000+ fans experiencing TSR in a polar opposite manner to what they felt and experienced 25+ years ago.
    It's just their personal experience of what the Roses may have meant to them all those years ago. That Indo writer is not unique, noone I know from Liverpool/Manchester who also travelled around the UK in the 80's following the Roses (and sleeping in train/bus stations) had any interest in going to HP or PP, because it's not anywhere near the experience they had in the 80's, and much like the Indo writer seemed to claim, its not memories they want to forget. Again, it's neither right nor wrong.. and it definately doesn't make them "c***s"...

Think you really need to read the piece before commenting. The writer was a fan due to it being the soundtrack to her college years in Rathmines flatland in the early 90's, she was a fan of New Kids on the Block when the Roses were playing to a few hundred people so she's hardly one of the few that witnessed the likes of the International or even Blackpool. To me the article reads like it's trying to put herself on a pedestal that she doesn't deserve to be anywhere near. If the gigs had been a damp squib or there'd been no chemistry between the band then she may have had a point but the gigs have been magical. It's her loss, she can keep her memories of dancing to Ressurection in McGonagles and Fibbers but I've also got those memories and they've not been sullied by what I saw at Heaton Park last Saturday week or at Phoenix Park, they've just been added to.

The likes of Cressa who was with the band right back when they were playing those small gigs you mentioned said HP was "Outstanding. I didn’t come last night because I didn’t see how Friday could be any better, but there’s so much love. I was anticipating possibly a rocky show, but they were awesome. I'm told last night was even better.". I'll take his opinion ahead of some indo hack who probably missed the point of the Roses if her choice of footwear was oxblood docs back then in any case.

I think it should be remembered that most, or a sizeable minority, of Roses fans had probably never seen the band live before last week's gigs. I never saw the classic line-up first time around as I was still a bit too young to be going to gigs. So to then have to listen to someone trying to imply that somehow they will always be the bigger fan by holding onto their precious memories and not going to these gigs is just insulting really.

I take her point that going to see legends years after they hit their peak can be a bad experience but this is a completely different set of circumstances.

The one thing I would say is that they need to get an album out fairly soon, certainly by next spring. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The one thing I would say is that they need to get an album out fairly soon, certainly by next spring. Here's hoping.

The Third Coming?

Second Coming was the biggest let-down I've experienced as a music fan......now dont get me wrong, fifteen years on, I can listen to that album for what it is.....there are some half decent songs on it, especially Love Spreads. But at the time it was a huge disappointment......turning on the CD and listening to 4 minutes of nothing sounds before a half-assed song kicked off. It would be like if the Rolling Stones had only released Sticky Fingers and then followed it up with Dirty Work or Voodoo Lounge.

I'd really only want a third album if it was decent.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The Third Coming?

Second Coming was the biggest let-down I've experienced as a music fan......now dont get me wrong, fifteen years on, I can listen to that album for what it is.....there are some half decent songs on it, especially Love Spreads. But at the time it was a huge disappointment......turning on the CD and listening to 4 minutes of nothing sounds before a half-assed song kicked off. It would be like if the Rolling Stones had only released Sticky Fingers and then followed it up with Dirty Work or Voodoo Lounge.

I'd really only want a third album if it was decent.

That's fair enough, always thought that The Second Coming should have just been a single album, there were enough decent tracks on it to have a very good album around 45 or 50 minutes but there's too much filler on it. Breaking into Heaven is actually a decent track but you have a point about the intro. Squire wrote the vast bulk of the songs on it as well and as their respective solo work proved Brown deserved a lot more credit for his input on the first album than he got back then, it seemed to be accepted that Squire was the musical driving force behind the band but Brown's solo stuff pissed all over The Seahorses and Squire's later solo efforts. Brown always said that he sat back and let Squire dictate Second Coming as he assumed he'd have more input on album 3 but obviously that wasn't to be. From what I hear the writing they're doing at the moment is more collaborative, as it was for the first album, so I'd be hopeful of what might come out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I was disappointed they didn't play WTFIWF at any of the gigs too.
    I used to have the Fool's Gold single on cassette and it was on it, along with the extended version of Fool's Gold, which they played so I was more than happy at that. :)

Really missed One Love as well as What The World is Waiting For.... had them in my wishlist beforehand....

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Just for the record, here is that article from last Friday's Indo

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/helen-moorhouse-theyre-my-favourite-band-ever-but-i-still-didnt-bother-to-go-and-see-stone-roses-live-in-the-park-3160972.html

Calling her a c*** is slightly OTT alright! But there is something self-serving and precious about her argument. Anyway, read it for yourselves if you want.

By the way, is anyone going to see them in Belfast? I hadn't been planning on going because of work but I might be able to do it if I can get back to Dublin straight after the gig. Anyone got any info on buses going back?

That article is absolutely pathetic,maybe ive missed it but has no one pointed out that this isnt a fan who saw them in some sweaty club with 200 other people in Manchester,this is a "fan" who saw them on TOTP for the first time(which was late 89,nowhere near as cool as liking them before the album came out loike:rolleyes:).....wtf?? she never even saw them live!!!!!!

She doesnt want to ruin memories of dancing to them in some ****ty clubs in Dublin?? ha ha ha,what an absolute clown of a woman,they were amazing the other night,this dope missed out cause so she could tell her friends smugly,"it would only ruin the memories loike",meanwhile her friends have the memory of seeing the 4 of them put on one of the best and most memorable gigs this country has seen in years,this could only come from the independent

Her favourite band playing her favourite song and her favourite album(in its entirety!)and she stayed at home thinking of watching them on the telly 23 years ago........what a langer[URL="[IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-002.gif[/IMG]"]lol-002.gif[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

I'll take his opinion ahead of some indo hack who probably missed the point of the Roses if her choice of footwear was oxblood docs back then in any case.

:D

I think she gave herself away a few places in the article but this was definitely the clincher. Also....never remember anything like I am the resurrection anytime I was in the Olympic Ballroom...however my memory of that place is a little blurry...

I went to the Sunday gig Manchester last weekend and again on Thursday, they were great...no question. Was it as good as 'back in the day'? Probably not, but what do you want, that was 20 years ago..different age.

That whole 'I don't want to ruin my memory of them' argument is crap anyway...you either like them or you dont.

Now if they had become x-factor judges, did a callobration with Rhianna and invited Robbie Williams on stage for a few tunes she might have had a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

MrO wrote: »

I think she gave herself away a few places in the article but this was definitely the clincher.

I think the entire article showed her up to be completely f***ing clueless,i dont even agree with this thing of "i saw them with 14 other people....so im not going",but to have not seen them at all.....ever and acting all smug is just incredible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Haven't read the article but sounds quite similar to this article in The Guardian a few weeks ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jun/23/i-wont-see-stone-roses

Love the Top comment:-

"What a mean-spirited self indulgent rant"

Great gig on Thursday. Hope they come back again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Also....never remember anything like I am the resurrection anytime I was in the Olympic Ballroom...however my memory of that place is a little blurry...
    Yeah that was a bit of a dinger on her part alright.

I think she gave herself away a few places in the article but this was definitely the clincher. Also....never remember anything like I am the resurrection anytime I was in the Olympic Ballroom...however my memory of that place is a little blurry...

In fairness DIT used to run student nights in the Olympic Ballroom on Thursdays and it would have been a staple in amongst the Sawdoctors and other such ****e, a mate of mine's missus went to DIT so wound up in there the odd time.

McGonagles and Fibbers on a Saturday if you wanted indie back then, the weekends in the Olympic Ballroom were a different thing altogether! ;)

I take it all back. C*** wasn't strong enough.

I'm not calling her specifically a c***, but have had a few c**** over the past week fire that very same line at me.

I'm sure, after the success of each gig, that they're still stroking their chins safe in the knowledge that they've made the right decision and retained their cool.

They didn't make the right decision, and why cheapen anyone's experience of the gigs by suggesting that those going were going to witness the flogging of a dead horse.

I've never been at a better gig than Heaton Park last weekend.

Ok, I've never seen them in a 400 capacity gig, but I know enough about them to know that they have enough integrity not to descecrate the grave of seminal Manchester pop group The Stone Roses.

Again I don't see where she is saying she is cool and everyone else is wrong.. She explains why she feels the need not to attend, and even says "My attitude could reasonably be called blinkered.".. She wrote a personal albeit pointless Indo news piece, but I actually though while pointless it was nice to see the view of someone who wasn't a big fan but does still love the debut album 25 years later.. As before, her experience is unique like yours, mine and everyone elses who attends (at any stage). Her points is just as relevant/irrelevant.

It's a pointless discussion probably.. As I said in the Alt.Indie thread I'm glad people who attended enjoyed it.

Think you really need to read the piece before commenting. The writer was a fan due to it being the soundtrack to her college years in Rathmines flatland in the early 90's, she was a fan of New Kids on the Block when the Roses were playing to a few hundred people so she's hardly one of the few that witnessed the likes of the International or even Blackpool. To me the article reads like it's trying to put herself on a pedestal that she doesn't deserve to be anywhere near. If the gigs had been a damp squib or there'd been no chemistry between the band then she may have had a point but the gigs have been magical. It's her loss, she can keep her memories of dancing to Ressurection in McGonagles and Fibbers but I've also got those memories and they've not been sullied by what I saw at Heaton Park last Saturday week or at Phoenix Park, they've just been added to.

The likes of Cressa who was with the band right back when they were playing those small gigs you mentioned said HP was "Outstanding. I didn’t come last night because I didn’t see how Friday could be any better, but there’s so much love. I was anticipating possibly a rocky show, but they were awesome. I'm told last night was even better.". I'll take his opinion ahead of some indo hack who probably missed the point of the Roses if her choice of footwear was oxblood docs back then in any case.

I read it after posting .. thegreengoblin was kind enough to link it.. thanks. :D

As per my other response, i don't see where she is trying to put herself on a pedestal etc. I see an honest (but obviously totally pointless) piece about why she preferred not to attend. Nothing more or less, the Indo was obviously short of news on the day /shrug. People need to just relax accept her opinion and accept that their own different opinions are equally valid/invalid. Calling people "c***s" because they didn't attend, seems somewhat equally pedestal making given that many have only ever seen a reunion or band mid split. Just go out and enjoy the gigs (or not) :)

I read it after posting .. thegreengoblin was kind enough to link it.. thanks. :D

As per my other response, i don't see where she is trying to put herself on a pedestal etc. I see an honest (but obviously totally pointless) piece about why she preferred not to attend. Nothing more or less, the Indo was obviously short of news on the day /shrug. People need to just relax accept her opinion and accept that their own different opinions are equally valid/invalid. Calling people "c***s" because they didn't attend, seems somewhat equally pedestal making given that many have only ever seen a reunion or band mid split. Just go out and enjoy the gigs (or not) :)

Maybe writing an article in a national newspaper about her non-attendance?

Why not write about a gig she was going to attend?

I think she's trying to put herself on a pedestal as she's obviously seen similar points being made by people who were going to gigs when the Roses were in their pomp and has hitched herself to that wagon. Now, there's a degree of validity to that point of view if you were at the International or Blackpool or Glasgow Green etc (albeit that I think it's misguided given how well the reunion gigs have gone but I can fully understand where people were coming from on it and had the gigs been a disaster it woul dhave been fully justified) but there's not really any validity to that point of view if your experience of being a Roses fan was limited to a few listens of the album in Rathmines and a end of night boogie in McGonks or Fibbers of a Saturday during the early 90's.

• Advertisement

I think she's trying to put herself on a pedestal as she's obviously seen similar points being made by people who were going to gigs when the Roses were in their pomp and has hitched herself to that wagon. Now, there's a degree of validity to that point of view if you were at the International or Blackpool or Glasgow Green etc (albeit that I think it's misguided given how well the reunion gigs have gone but I can fully understand where people were coming from on it and had the gigs been a disaster it woul dhave been fully justified) but there's not really any validity to that point of view if your experience of being a Roses fan was limited to a few listens of the album in Rathmines and a end of night boogie in McGonks or Fibbers of a Saturday during the early 90's.

Yeah but that was her experience and one she puts value on.. Why do folks have an issue with that?
    I don't know your experience for example, but you probably would be rightly quite pissed off if I dismissed your experience as pointless for example because you never saw the Roses before they were TOTP megastars.. or only ever saw them as a reunion band or at Feile etc. It wouldn't be fair or courteous, and I would be bang out of order to call people "c***s" if they claimed to understand the legacy of those times which they were never at either..

Fair enough you might disagree with her opinion, but the obnoxious terms being used are somewhat over the top.. She has her version of what the Roses meant to her, and it doesnt align with mine, yours or anyone we know, but it doesnt make your or mine any more valid either.

She may have worn oxblood DM's.. but how many at PP wore flares? Alexander Palace was packed with them.. but if you wore flares at Liverpool Polytechnic before that or the Hacienda then you were the only person wearing flares.. People wore all sorts and it changed over time ;)

People need to relax and enjoy what they got from any band, and stop attacking those who may have a different experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement