Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Always seemed busy. Very strange. Maybe the owners had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It's disappointing for that street in general now that they're gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

That's sad and surprising news. At risk of reigniting the great burrito wars it would be a great spot for badass, mfd or boojum. Across the road from uber and more central to town. There's more space for outdoor seating on that part of catherine st too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭moby2101

I'm surprised to hear this. Always seemed busy. Maybe the competition of late was too much for them.

+1
    Hard to fathom, we would have eaten here at least every other Saturday for years. Maybe a lifestyle decision rather than a commercial one, it was doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Disappointing about Sage alright. I don't exactly know why but it never really was on my radar as a place to go for lunch or for a coffee. It wasn't a particularly comfortable place to eat or chat either. Too noisy and claustrophobic maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

geotrig wrote: »
    or maybe wasnt a financial decision at all and decided it was time to finish up.

The comments under their twitter post would seem to suggest that it was a financial decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

Sad for the owners. Hope they aren't out of pocket or anything. Seemed to be one of many businesses in Limerick that are open for donkeys and do well but never have a massive buzz. 10 years is quite a feat for a city this size and a cafe. Should be proud! Imagine the same would have happened to Cafe On The Row if they didn't rebrand/overhaul. Did seem busy when I passed by time to time but I never knew anyone who raved about it, so not very shocking for me I guess?

Second what the above user said about getting something in that space like a boojum. Something trendy (and not another cafe) would work very well there. Reopening of Bourkes too and you got a nice little spot going, especially with Uber and Starbucks. The interior is a lovely spot and that's what always attracted me when I passed by.

I'm just looking at the outpouring of grief on FB about Sage closing. It's like Diana has died all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MrLaurel

zulutango wrote: »
    Disappointing about Sage alright....Too noisy and claustrophobic maybe.

Yeah, between the noise in Sage and the noise from the Cannonball, this City is gone to the dogs.

Marco Polo is very noisy too. Probably why I don't go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭adaminho

I'm just looking at the outpouring of grief on FB about Sage closing. It's like Diana has died all over again.

I'm glad you find it funny as I'm sure the people that lost their jobs don't! But then again it's on one of those wide pedestrianised streets that you think will help restaurants and cafe's do so well on Henry Street!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

but Sage were adverting for staff just a month ago ? odd

adaminho wrote:
    I'm glad you find it funny as I'm sure the people that lost their jobs don't!

I don't find it funny at all. That's a stupid thing to say.

Marco Polo is very noisy too. Probably why I don't go there.

Another place that baffles me as to how it stays open so long! The food is beyond basic, which isn't shocking considering it shares a kitchen with Wokking (not hating but it's hardly a sign of quality grub haha). When you have Bella Italia, La Cucina and other little Italian eateries (La Piccola) as choices for Italian, I can't imagine why anyone goes there in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was Marco Polo's ever an Italian restaurant though?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Derbhoy

Passed it today looks all shut up & Car Wash gone .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Derbhoy wrote: »
    Passed it today looks all shut up & Car Wash gone .

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

dashoonage wrote: »
    Where?

Emo petrol station

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Derbhoy

Sorry Typo Error Clare St is location.Always got s very good Car Wash there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Passed it earlier. Cones out, washing area gone. Looks out of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Berty wrote: »
    Passed it earlier. Cones out, washing area gone. Looks out of business.
    That wouldnt suprise me that place didnt do that much business,& they got done before for having faulty fuel (was water in it or something was in papers.) Only passing trade there not much regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

Cathy's Cafe on upper Catherine St closed just before Christmas according to their facebook page.

Thorntons closed? Not shocking really. But definitely an institution of Cruises St all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Thorntons closed? Not shocking really. But definitely an institution of Cruises St all the same.

Sad to see it go, used to be a novelty to go in there and treat yourself/someone else when it first opened. Suppose it's reflective of the current state of Cruises St. I was in town quite a bit over Christmas and found most places to be busy. Cruises St. was a lot quieter than expected though, especially considering that it was once championed as the main shopping street of Limerick! Badly needs a rethink/redesign!

I am distraught that Intensity Spin at Coonagh Cross has closed! Anto's spin sessions were the best in Limerick. Are there any other spin classes in limerick that are taught by an actual cyclist? I used to like the spin classes in UL but they have changed the instructors in the last few years and they are not really my cup of tea anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

panda100 wrote: »
    I am distraught that Intensity Spin at Coonagh Cross has closed! Anto's spin sessions were the best in Limerick. Are there any other spin classes in limerick that are taught by an actual cyclist? I used to like the spin classes in UL but they have changed the instructors in the last few years and they are not really my cup of tea anymore.

Anto has a note on the intensity Facebook page that he is hoping to team up with Go gym next door to bring his classes in there. Announcement due today

tommy249 wrote:
    Anto has a note on the intensity Facebook page that he is hoping to team up with Go gym next door to bring his classes in there. Announcement due today

Fingers and toes crossed. Nothing beats Anto classes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sad to see it go, used to be a novelty to go in there and treat yourself/someone else when it first opened. Suppose it's reflective of the current state of Cruises St. I was in town quite a bit over Christmas and found most places to be busy. Cruises St. was a lot quieter than expected though, especially considering that it was once championed as the main shopping street of Limerick! Badly needs a rethink/redesign!

It had been an outlet store for a long time. It’s a shame to see it go as a lot of the staff had worked in there for a long time. Also think the unit of its size will be hard to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bazz26 wrote: »
    Was Marco Polo's ever an Italian restaurant though?

It’s an Italian/Asian restaurant...hence the name, or at least that’s what I figured anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Cruises Street is a borderline ghetto these days.

Advertisement