Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

zulutango wrote: »
    Catherine Street isn't important from a traffic point of view. It's simply a rat run and car park.

Seriously? Tomorrow is Friday. Drive down there at 4 bells and report back. Its a fairly busy street for traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Seriously? Tomorrow is Friday. Drive down there at 4 bells and report back. Its a fairly busy street for traffic.

It simply isn't important in terms of traffic volumes, which are miniscule compared to Roches Street, O'Connell Street, Henry Street, Mallow Street. In contrast to those streets it could be closed off with minimal overall impact and huge benefits would accrue as a result.

It simply isn't important in terms of traffic volumes, which are miniscule compared to Roches Street, O'Connell Street, Henry Street, Mallow Street. In contrast to those streets it could be closed off with minimal overall impact and huge benefits would accrue as a result.

I respect your opinion but honestly can't see that working.

Really? You don't think we could close Catherine Street to traffic without a major headache? It's a far, far cry from closing some of the other streets. We could easily do it. Remember there were many who argued against the work done on Bedford Row, Thomas Street, Little Catherine Street and Lower Catherine Street. Would anybody want to revert to what they were before?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

Catherine Street isn't important from a traffic point of view. It's simply a rat run and car park.

We were talking about O'Connell St

• Advertisement

phog wrote:
    We were talking about O'Connell St

No. We were talking about Catherine Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

No. We were talking about Catherine Street.

No. I said lets see how O'Connell St goes and it developed from there. Read back and you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭pigtown

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Mejana does wonderful food. They are not closed down, only closed for renovations. They have moved temporarily to their sister restaurant Cedar House opposite Smyths Bar.

Try the food again really it is wonderful.

Definitely a For Sale sign up on the building. Ad I'm pretty sure the MeJana signage is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

How big is the whole unit? That actually doesn't seem like a crazy amount of money if a significant development could go in there, given its location. While comparing with Celtic Tiger times isn't the wisest thing to do, it's worth noting that some old residential buildings in the city fetched over €1 million back then.
    Not big enough to justify investing north of €1m just to buy it and fix it. It would probably suit a builder to buy it who could do the work for a fraction of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

pigtown wrote: »
    Definitely a For Sale sign up on the building. Ad I'm pretty sure the MeJana signage is gone.

It's a "shop to let" sign in fact. Hopefully there will be a quick enough turnaround. There's a couple of premises on Thomas Street that have been vacant for far too long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭sioda

Kix vape shop on William Street is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sioda wrote: »
    Kix vape shop on William Street is gone.

there should be a limit on how many vape shops allowed way to many

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

dunworth1 wrote: »
    there should be a limit on how many vape shops allowed way to many

The market will limit how many vape shops there are, as is happening in the case above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Kaya seems to be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

EDIT: According to Facebook they are closed for renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

bigpink wrote: »
    Kaya seems to be gone
    Really? I loved Kaya. I suppose this is what happens when Aroi, Lana, Kaya and all the other Asian Street food restaurants try to compete in a small city.

Being replaced by Lana.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Jofspring wrote: »
    Being replaced by Lana.

That's good. They're the same owners afaik.

That's good. They're the same owners afaik.

But it Lana more takeaway and very casual eating in?Thought Kaya waa great for a nice meal nice decor.Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Jofspring wrote: »
    Being replaced by Lana.

I hope they don't get rid of the proper table service. Lana has its place but I'm not a big fan of having all food courses thrown down in front of me in cardboard boxes.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    I hope they don't get rid of the proper table service. Lana has its place but I'm not a big fan of having all food courses thrown down in front of me in cardboard boxes.

Thought Kaya was doing well.Me and my friends had dinner there a food few times and had takeaway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

But it Lana more takeaway and very casual eating in?Thought Kaya waa great for a nice meal nice decor.Pity

I find the sauces Lana use very sugary/syrupy. much preferred kaya as it tasted like real food rather than a microwave meal. Camile is prob the only decent thai in limerick, and its not exactly astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

mdmix wrote: »
    I find the sauces Lana use very sugary/syrupy. much preferred kaya as it tasted like real food rather than a microwave meal. Camile is prob the only decent thai in limerick, and its not exactly astounding.
    Thought Kaya was doing well.Me and my friends had dinner there a food few times and had takeaway

I taught Kaya was doing well too. We'd often eat there when in town. Like mdmix said above Kaya is a lot nicer even though it's run by the same people

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Copper and Spice do thai aswell...Little further out but still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

h3000 wrote: »
    I taught Kaya was doing well too. We'd often eat there when in town. Like mdmix said above Kaya is a lot nicer even though it's run by the same people

Kaya was doing well in the evening but very quiet for lunch. I eat there for lunch every second week or so and there's never more than a handful of diners (between 12.30 and 1.30 anyway) Maybe they need the rebrand to try to increase numbers. The market is there, Aroi is always busy at lunchtime.

B&W

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

The market is there, Aroi is always busy at lunchtime.

B&W

Is it? I'd noticed a considerable drop off the couple of times I was there recently.

Treepole wrote: »
    Is it? I'd noticed a considerable drop off the couple of times I was there recently.

I was there twice in the last 3 weeks and it was busy both times, once was a Wed and the other a Thur.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

does anyone remember the thai place down the basement behind the white house? it was easily the best thai food i ever had (never been to thailand unfortunately). i used go there the whole time with friends but we got creeped out because no one else was ever there. they didn't seem to do takeaway either. this place is surely closed down, right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

does anyone remember the thai place down the basement behind the white house? it was easily the best thai food i ever had (never been to thailand unfortunately). i used go there the whole time with friends but we got creeped out because no one else was ever there. they didn't seem to do takeaway either. this place is surely closed down, right?

The Thai Gourmet. It closed last year when the White House was sold. It had previously been upstairs in Nestors and had been somewhere else on O'Connell St. before that. I hear that there are no plans to relocate this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They did do takeaway - was my favourite takeaway before Khing Thai

• Advertisement

Agree that it was lovely food, AFAIR it was run by an Irish guy (Dave ?) and his Thai wife. I hadn't been for a while but I thought I heard they sold it on and the food wasn't as good.

Advertisement