Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Any updates on 7 Camicie?

No updates on FB and haven't been in town for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Any updates on 7 Camicie?

No updates on FB and haven't been in town for a week.

Send them a message on FB
    They got back to me pretty quickly when I noticed that the shop was closed

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I see the old Riddler's pub on Sarsfield Street is closed once more. Up for lease again, doesn't seem to last very long every time someone takes over the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Both The Blind Pig and Crush 87 seem to be still operating. Anything official on them closing because bar here it doesn't seem to be said anywhere I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Jofspring wrote: »
    Both The Blind Pig and Crush 87 seem to be still operating. Anything official on them closing because bar here it doesn't seem to be said anywhere I've seen.

I've heard that the pig may not close. May be taken over by someone else but it's all rumor at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Edinburgh Woollen Mill on Bedford Row is closing down. All stock must go. Hopefully something better than a pound shop will take its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Edinburgh Woollen Mill on Bedford Row is closing down. All stock must go. Hopefully something better than a pound shop will take its place.

or a cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

A pound cafe would be nice....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

I see one of the original pound shops on upper William Street is amalgamating with the Thomas Street one

One less pound/euro shop on William street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Apparently it had been operating there since 2011. I can safely say that in all the times I've passed by i've never seen more than 2 or 3 people in there at any one time. That said it's still a concern to see another business failing in the city centre.

The former Pamela Scott unit has been empty for the last 6 months now too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Two decent shops should go into the two empty units on Bedford Row - Pull and Bear, GAP, H&M Men's, Gant, Calvin Klein, Massimo Dutti, French Connection, Diesel (Real One), Boss etc

Last thing it needs is another shoe shop, sports shop, cafe, Zara/next/river island variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Vanquished wrote: »
    Apparently it had been operating there since 2011. I can safely say that in all the times I've passed by i've never seen more than 2 or 3 people in there at any one time. That said it's still a concern to see another business failing in the city centre.

It really highlights the fallacy that attracting big name brands to the city will do a whole lot for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

zulutango wrote: »
    It really highlights the fallacy that attracting big name brands to the city will do a whole lot for it.

Edinburgh Woolen Mills? I don't think people mean "many letters" or "physical size of the sign" when they say "big name".

Edinburgh Woolen Mills? I don't think people mean "many letters" or "physical size of the sign" when they say "big name".

I remember at the time it opened that it was being hailed as a big name. To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue when it comes to brand stuff.

I wouldn't necessarily agree. Arguably the two biggest names in the city centre are Brown Thomas and Debenhams who are both trading successfully. Those stores are always busy any time i pop in.

Quality retailers with desirable products will do well in Limerick city centre if they choose to locate there.

I remember at the time it opened that it was being hailed as a big name. To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue when it comes to brand stuff.

That was probably the Limerick Leader. Last week they were celebrating the opening of the new 24 hour petrol station just beyond the Shannon bridge roundabout. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The city doesn't have many big names though. That's the problem. I think it'll be a domino effect if one comes, it will attract another one. If a H&M/Massimo Dutti/Pull and Bear opened in town, another prominent retailer might want to set up next door to trade off the back of it. I'm a firm believer that New Look on Cruises does half its business off the back of River Island.

I get the impression you think retail isn't vital for a city to survive but show me any city that doesn't have a major retail sector. Even tourist destinations like Rome or Paris have major retail areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Edinburgh Woolen Mills is not the most exciting brand is it? Who does it appeal to? I'd imagine tourists would lap up that stuff. Too bad there is a dearth of them in Limerick. Pamela Scott? A lot of competition in Limerick for that market.

If you look at fashion retail in Limerick City outside of Brown Thomas and Debenhams it is largely dominated by women's fashion mostly catering to an older crowd. The fashion quarter boutiques and the likes.

And the menswear market is dominated by stores suited to older men - Noels, Tony Connolly or the dreaded glut of sportswear and cheap clothing stores.

A decent fashionable menswear store is badly needed in the city. One that isn't aimed at middle aged men and older.

I get the impression you think retail isn't vital for a city to survive but show me any city that doesn't have a major retail sector. Even tourist destinations like Rome or Paris have major retail areas.

I'd say retail is not vital for a city to survive, but rather that a vibrant retail sector it's a result of a thriving city. Two very different things! In Limerick we're putting the cart before the horse and wondering why it's not moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I'd say retail is not vital for a city to survive, but rather that a vibrant retail sector it's a result of a thriving city. Two very different things! In Limerick we're putting the cart before the horse and wondering why it's not moving.

I respectfully disagree. I think you need city centre units filled with relevant retail and service businesses for a city centre to have a feeling of vitality. City centres die if those living in the suburbs don't have reason to travel in to town. The minute the Golden Island shopping centre was built in Athlone the main street, Church St was doomed as a vibrant shopping street. Although the street still enjoys a decent occupancy rate the footfall is poor for a main street in a large (by irish standards) town. Now the opening of the Athlone Town Centre has helped somewhat but still the damage has been done and is unlikely to be reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

I think we need more businesses like Uber in the city centre. Get the County Council Offices back in the city. Having the students in the opera centre would increase the buzz around town but people with jobs will spend more money. This I think would create the foot fall which would help the retail business.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Vanquished wrote: »

I've heard that Dealz are looking to open a second store in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Red King wrote: »
    Edinburgh Woolen Mills is not the most exciting brand is it? Who does it appeal to? I'd imagine tourists would lap up that stuff. Too bad there is a dearth of them in Limerick. Pamela Scott? A lot of competition in Limerick for that market.

If you look at fashion retail in Limerick City outside of Brown Thomas and Debenhams it is largely dominated by women's fashion mostly catering to an older crowd. The fashion quarter boutiques and the likes.

And the menswear market is dominated by stores suited to older men - Noels, Tony Connolly or the dreaded glut of sportswear and cheap clothing stores.

A decent fashionable menswear store is badly needed in the city. One that isn't aimed at middle aged men and older.

Edinburgh Woolen Mills is no loss really. I don't think I've ever seen anyone go in there and weirdly, most of their jumpers are 100% acrylic.

To be honest I'm not sure that the average man in Limerick really gives a shíte about clothes and those that do, like myself just buy everything online. There are a handful of good clothes shops for men in town beyond Noels and Connollys. Leonards and Billy Higgins would probably be the pick of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Edinburgh Woolen Mills is no loss really. I don't think I've ever seen anyone go in there and weirdly, most of their jumpers are 100% acrylic.

To be honest I'm not sure that the average man in Limerick really gives a shíte about clothes and those that do, like myself just buy everything online. There are a handful of good clothes shops for men in town beyond Noels and Connollys. Leonards and Billy Higgins would probably be the pick of the bunch.

Thats the point I was trying to make in another thread. Is the demand there for more mens shops and more stylish ones. I'd like more choice but personally am not big into fashion or clothes at all and neither are a lot of people I know. Are there enough men in Limerick to sustain a better supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Jofspring wrote: »
    Thats the point I was trying to make in another thread. Is the demand there for more mens shops and more stylish ones. I'd like more choice but personally am not big into fashion or clothes at all and neither are a lot of people I know. Are there enough men in Limerick to sustain a better supply?

The queue in the menswear of Brown Thomas on Stephens day would suggest so:P.
    Buying online isn't the same as trying things on for real, I know you can return but it's such a chore.
    I am interested in clothes, looking forward to going to Dublin next weekend, maybe stopping off at Kildare Village for an hour on the way, Limerick is poorly served.
    I have noticed that Connolys in town have slightly upped their game recently, maybe a new buyer? They've some nice scotch and soda pieces and the G Star section is greatly improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

I have noticed that Connolys in town have slightly upped their game recently, maybe a new buyer? They've some nice scotch and soda pieces and the G Star section is greatly improved.
    Connollys seem to think that mens sizes start at medium, I didn't know Irealnd had so many basketballers! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The_Dave wrote: »
    Connollys seem to think that mens sizes start at medium, I didn't know Irealnd had so many basketballers! :rolleyes:

Never noticed that, I'd be a medium for most things so it hasn't affected me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

The_Dave wrote: »

Most other shops seem to think they stop at medium as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Wallace's Butchers in the Crescent is closing in the near future, staff have started to tell customers. That's the fourth store closed/closing in the Crescent now since the turn of the year. They're looking for big bucks again for all their units.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Townie_P wrote: »
    Wallace's Butchers in the Crescent is closing in the near future, staff have started to tell customers. That's the fourth store closed/closing in the Crescent now since the turn of the year. They're looking for big bucks again for all their units.

Still plenty of upward only rents out there hurting the smaller retailers and other businesses willing to pay the rates they want.

Advertisement