Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

cronin_j wrote: »
    A wine bar opening shortly in the Milk Market, keep an eye out for that.
    bigpink wrote: »
    Thats an awful location
    People that woukd use a wine bar dont want to be in the middle of the nightly warzone that area with kebab street has turned into

Depends whether it's inside or outside or both. If it's only inside I would certainly go in: I usually stop for a tea or coffee inside on Saturdays, but I'd quite likely also stop for a glass of wine too in the midst of people-watching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Depends whether it's inside or outside or both. If it's only inside I would certainly go in: I usually stop for a tea or coffee inside on Saturdays, but I'd quite likely also stop for a glass of wine too in the midst of people-watching.

I mean at night time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

cronin_j wrote: »
    A wine bar opening shortly in the Milk Market, keep an eye out for that.

Surprised given the one on Denmark Street just a street away has closed.

Think it is s bad idea, that part of town at night is like a warzone.

Red King wrote: »
    Surprised given the one on Denmark Street just a street away has closed.

Kebab street is a mess on a thurs or sat night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Bit over dramatic don't you think? It's busy alright but calling it a warzone is a bit much.

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    Bit over dramatic don't you think? It's busy alright but calling it a warzone is a bit much.

Gets pretty messy down there all the young crowd from mollys angel lane crush seem to head there.then the library and icon aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's an awful part of town really. During daytime the general dereliction and really ****ty modern development is a real turn off. In the evenings (Thursday - Sunday), it's thronged with hordes of drunken youngsters, angry taxi drivers, and boy racers in suped up Nissan Micras cruising around.

davo2001 wrote: »

Did you take it literally or something, it is a pretty common expression in fairness:confused:

I see I am not the only one who mentioned it above either.

I pass through there at night on a regular basis and it is the last place in Limerick that I'd open a wine bar. Especially the area where the kebab places are, at night the street is an absolute drunken mess with students pissed out of their minds, bottles and glasses and broken glass just littering the footpaths and road and rubbish from takeaways thrown everywhere.

The Sunday night before Christmas was just crazy down there, thronged with people plastered drunk, falling all over the place and people pissing on the street left right and centre. Paddy Wagon and an Ambulance parked outside the Library and some youngfella holding his head blood pouring all down his top.

Groups of drunken idiots just standing on the street blocking all the traffic and taxi drivers going ballsitic trying to get through the crowd. It was absolutely mental.

A wine bar is just totally out of character with the rest of that area - clubs, student bars and takeaways. At least Denmark Street where Urban Vineyard was is quieter than that.

Obviously I'd love to see the new place take off but I can't fathom the decison to locate there - I doubt it will appeal to the kind of crowd that area attracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A risky location based on the carry on that goes on outside a lot of the time.

Wonder how so many foreign kebab shops were allowed open down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭pigtown

bigpink wrote: »
    Wonder how so many foreign kebab shops were allowed open down there

As opposed to Irish ones?

pigtown wrote: »
    As opposed to Irish ones?

Kebab shop isnt a skilled shortage in Ireland. Fair play there working away.Visa controls and limits a debate not for here

In fairness some of the kebabs from those places are excellent. Kabana try the Chollo Kebab and the House Speciality Chicken, Turkuaz try the Adana Kebab or mixed grill from either place. Amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I've had good kebabs and very lacklustre kebabs from Turkuaz. Especially disappointing when you know they can do good ones.
    Can't picture where Kabana is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

.....Can't picture where Kabana is.

It's just after copa

I've had good kebabs and very lacklustre kebabs from Turkuaz. Especially disappointing when you know they can do good ones.
    Can't picture where Kabana is.

Kabana is the first one on that row.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What's the name of the spot down the hill from the army barracks, across from the small side entrance to the park? I got a surprisingly good mixed kebab there 7 or 8 weeks ago. Great grilled chicken. Even passed the reheat test the day after. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

An File wrote: »
    What's the name of the spot down the hill from the army barracks, across from the small side entrance to the park? I got a surprisingly good mixed kebab there 7 or 8 weeks ago. Great grilled chicken. Even passed the reheat test the day after. :pac:

The place on Hyde Rd? Tasty bites? I'll give it a miss for a while ;)
    https://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/press_releases/december_enforcements_07012016.html

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

h3000 wrote: »
    The place on Hyde Rd? Tasty bites? I'll give it a miss for a while ;)
    https://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/press_releases/december_enforcements_07012016.html

Not tasty bites as that is across the field, the place File is thinking about is a Pizza place where the Yellow road chipper once was.

I find the kebabs from most of the places to be quite similar, very little to distinguish or recommend one over another (they're all good enough)

Not tasty bites as that is across the field, the place File is thinking about is a Pizza place where the Yellow road chipper once was.

Oh right, I taught that was still just a "plain" chipper. I used live in the apartments directly across the road when it was the Yellow Rd chipper. My view out the sitting room window was the chipper, it made it very hard to pass it up some days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Just to note tasty bites re-opened after around 3 days.

Wow Toys r' Us have closed already. I feel so sorry for those staff.

Www.independent.ie/business/jobs/toysrus-shuts-in-ireland-after-six-months-34419226.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah no that's awful. Like a popup Christmas shop, sadly. Shame. :(

I was in there on Sunday (for the first time) - not a bad shop, but a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

h3000 wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for those staff.
    Yeah, hope they didn't leave another job to go to ToysRus.

Berty wrote: »
    I couldn't get the link above to work. Maybe this will.
    It's working fine for me :)
    Yeah, hope they didn't leave another job to go to ToysRus.
    I'd imagine some did unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Jody's down by the potato market closing

Jesus that's shocking about Toys R Us!

Jofspring wrote: »
    Jody's down by the potato market closing

Whats Jody's?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Jesus that's shocking about Toys R Us!

looks like they gambled on a big xmas turnover to get into the black that didn't happen. would agree with the article that the lack of a catalogue for the kids to spend weeks leafing through pre-xmas is a real negative for any shop looking to go up against smiths

Advertisement