Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Wow. I missed that story back in July. That's incredible money for one year's rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Punkyblip wrote: »

That is mental, the turnover they would have to have to pay that alone is incredible.

€309,500 per year is almost €6K a week, for the Carraig Donn unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The crescent want to oust all the small business and it's as simple as that. Kelly shoes a few weeks ago and now one of the butchers. Won't be long before all the long standing businesses are gone which is sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Still plenty of upward only rents out there hurting the smaller retailers and other businesses willing to pay the rates they want.
    Which butcher is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Jofspring wrote: »
    The crescent want to oust all the small business and it's as simple as that. Kelly shoes a few weeks ago and now one of the butchers. Won't be long before all the long standing businesses are gone which is sad to see.

I don't think they want to out small businesses. They're running a business and Wang to get the best return if they think they can get more rent they should. There are still small businesses in the crescent.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I don't think they want to out small businesses. They're running a business and Wang to get the best return if they think they can get more rent they should. There are still small businesses in the crescent.

Can understand it from a business perspective but it's still sad to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

That is an obscene increase on their original agreement of 120,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    That is mental, the turnover they would have to have to pay that alone is incredible.

€309,500 per year is almost €6K a week, for the Carraig Donn unit.
    €309,500 is just the rent. There's a fairly hefty annual service charge on top of that, plus the council rates. I know for the smaller stores out there the service charge would be approx €12k - €15k per year, and rates about €15k, give or take. The rates doubled last year. I'd expect it to be considerably more on both counts for the Carraig Donn unit which is large and in a prime location.

It's crazy money.
    sioda wrote: »
    Which butcher is that?
    Wallace's, across the mall from Tesco.
    Bored_lad wrote: »
    Every independent in the Crescent is facing the same increases right now. Four have/are exiting already. I know of another 5 units that are on the verge. There will be no independents left there soon, certainly within the next three to five years. The multi-chains are the only ones who will be able to afford it going forward, with maybe the odd exception depending on the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Sad to see, just greed on the Crescent's part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

No wonder the Crescent took the case against An Bord Pleanala and the Horizon Mall, if that went ahead they might have to trim down their rents...

Not reopening the Horizon Mall conversation....thats been done to death..

Apparently Willie Sexton's is closing/closed... owned by the same people who own the Ardhu

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I can remember Wallace's being there for nigh on 20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

leakyboots wrote: »
    Apparently Willie Sexton's is closing/closed... owned by the same people who own the Ardhu

No way sad to see it go great days in there over the years good friday Munster Leinster match springs to mind but was in a Saturday night few weeks ago and twas dead.

Ya had been word of it closing for a while now. That's Angel Lane and Sextons both gone from them. Just the ardhu left now as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Ya had been word of it closing for a while now. That's Angel Lane and Sextons both gone from them. Just the ardhu left now as far as I know.

What is business like in the Ardhu?
    It's a very big place.

Ardhu is going too apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Ardhu is going too apparently

I'm not surprised. It was fairly ambitious building such a massive pub out that way. It was busy for matches, but usually fairly empty.

There have been rumours of the ardhu closing down for around 3 years now.

It seems to do well when parties are booked in but empty other than that. They usually only open the smaller bar during week nights.

The Woodfield has taken some of the crowd from the Ardhu. Mainly the older crowd at the moment as the ardhu still has the better smoking area and loads of TVs for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Mc Love wrote: »
    I can remember Wallace's being there for nigh on 20 years!
    Yea about that. Kellys Shoes were there about the same length of time. Both long term tenants gone now due to rent increases. Liam the owner of Wallaces is a gentleman, but he's retiring so the business is closing. Kelly's intend to relocate though afaik.

One I can never figure out in the Crescent is David Wallace's Mr Sims sweet shop. Can't understand how it can survive out there. It only ever seems busy at the weekend. He'd want to be selling some amount of bon bons and cola bottles to service it. It's actually a decent sized unit that goes a nice bit further out the back from where the actual shop ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭phog

There have been rumours of the ardhu closing down for around 3 years now.

It seems to do well when parties are booked in but empty other than that. They usually only open the smaller bar during week nights.

The Woodfield has taken some of the crowd from the Ardhu. Mainly the older crowd at the moment as the ardhu still has the better smoking area and loads of TVs for sport.

I watched Ireland's Rugby World Cup warm up games and Munster's away European Cup games in the Ardhu and was never once offered complimentary finger food. I was in the Woodfield for Munster's game v Glasgow and a basket of finger food was left out on each table and along the bar.

Small things like that can make a difference in whether a customer would return or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

phog wrote: »
    I watched Ireland's Rugby World Cup warm up games and Munster's away European Cup games in the Ardhu and was never once offered complimentary finger food. I was in the Woodfield for Munster's game v Glasgow and a basket of finger food was left out on each table and along the bar.

Small things like that can make a difference in whether a customer would return or not.

Agree, though I feel hotel bars are more accommodating in this regard, was in the Croke Park Hotel a few months ago to watch Munster V Stade and again, complimentary finger food and nuts etc were given out. Can't imagine it would be to any significant cost so I'm not sure why most bars don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Planning permission to turn Ger Storan's shoe shop into a......*drum roll*...betting office!

Planning permission to turn Ger Storan's shoe shop into a......*drum roll*...betting office!

No surprise there really. We won't get much other than betting shops and euro stores so long as the city centre is primarily a place where people who avail of betting shops and euro stores live ..

phog wrote: »

Exactly. I have been there in big groups watching games and up with team mates once or twice after we played a match and never given any finger food or anything. It's always been if you want food pay for it. They really should have built up a relationship with sports teams in the area to get lads to drop in after matches or to watch sport but have never bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

In Ireland it'd be more likely some group of publicans would lobby politicians to introduce a minimum price for finger food...

In Ireland it'd be more likely some group of publicans would lobby politicians to introduce a minimum price for finger food...

Hey .. don't be bringing Fianna Fáil into this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I walked passed the Limerick Craft Hub earlier and it had a notice saying that it was closed down. Such a shame. It was a great spot for picking up presents and unique gifts.

panda100 wrote: »
    I walked passed the Limerick Craft Hub earlier and it had a notice saying that it was closed down. Such a shame. It was a great spot for picking up presents and unique gifts.

I heard it's going to Nicholas Street. Not sure how definite that is though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Is the building part of the Hanging Gardens development? Maybe they're being forced to close/move.

Advertisement