Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK - over to the other mods for the next couple of hours - I'm "otherwise engaged"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Beasty wrote: »
    OK - over to the other mods for the next couple of hours - I'm "otherwise engaged"

Wreck the gaff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

what a lovely evening for a spin!

DSC_0002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

BX 19 wrote: »
    I thinned out some 3in1 so it wouldnt strip the threads or twisting the spokes. (or so I read)

I've done it completely arseways haven't I?:o

How thin did you make the 3in1? And what did you dilute it with? You just dont want light oil on the spoke threads or the nipples will quite possibly vibrate lose on you!

Holyboy wrote: »
    How thin did you make the 3in1? And what did you dilute it with? You just dont want light oil on the spoke threads or the nipples will quite possibly vibrate lose on you!
    Not too thin, little bit of white spirits. It will probably evaporate.

Feck. Emmm. It was an old wheel, I'll keep an eye on it. :D

So what do you do with spoke nipples that haven't been turned in many years?

The other two wheels that I did were fine though, they are not as old. Didn't need any oil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

lennymc wrote: »

DSC_0002.jpg
    Finished work at 11am and thought 'Great. Home so I can get a nice long spin to make up some lost ground' Looking for the time sheet and the boss says 'Do us a favour.A lad is stuck for 2 hrs will you give him a hand'
    Got home at 7.15 this eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

HEE HEE
    540673_10150779383949670_722459669_9427586_75334418_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Snowtown methinks. Given the way the bikes are facing you must have met at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Snowtown methinks. Given the way the bikes are facing you must have met at the top.

I'm not paying you to "think".

Sorry sir. Won't happen again.

Blue moon...

• Advertisement

BX 19 wrote: »
    Not too thin, little bit of white spirits. It will probably evaporate.

Feck. Emmm. It was an old wheel, I'll keep an eye on it. :D

So what do you do with spoke nipples that haven't been turned in many years?

The other two wheels that I did were fine though, they are not as old. Didn't need any oil.

Ah,you're right it will evaporate so should be grand,3in1 would not be my own choice of oil but it should gum up just fine after a bit,another boardsie(who shall remain nameless)told me how they used GT85 to build a wheel,from experience this only leads to badness and LOTS of it! Epic fail in my younger days:( But one lives and learns I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

5f48a52e.jpg:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

So this is what 245 Rpm looks like ..

Mother of God..... some dodgey moments here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Descending like a boss, the man has great handling skills. It must be great fun to descend being able to use the whole road without fear of someone running you over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

AstraMonti wrote: »
    . . . It must be great fun to descend being able to use the whole road without fear of someone running you over.

Closest that I came to that was last year on the Tour de Munster. Descended off the Conor Pass behind one of the motorbike outriders. The road down was mostly clear and I just followed his wheel into every turn. The guy on the bike had sirens and flashing lights and he got all the traffic coming up the pass to pull in.

He even pointed out a stray sheep to me at one stage. I like descending, particularly the Conor Pass - but this was completely exhilarating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Agree with that ^^, I descended the Connor Pass last year (to Dingle) and I kept my hands off the brakes until about 1/3rd of the way down, then I got 'hit' by a side-wind, yikes, suffice as to say the brakes were engaged lovingly for the rest of the descent !

On a more sad note: I'm haven't sat on a bike in nearly 2 weeks, thanks to a set of circumstances (vomiting bug/head cold/work/weather/family), so...............it's getting serious folks, I need my 'hit' !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Does anyone know do Rose Versand send a confirmation e-mail or anything when you place an order. I'm after buying some tyres (I think) but I'm not sure if the order's actually gone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Does anyone know do Rose Versand send a confirmation e-mail or anything when you place an order. I'm after buying some tyres (I think) but I'm not sure if the order's actually gone through.

I received a confirmation of shipping e-mail. I managed to mess up the payment method and ended up in an e-mail conversation with andrea.vehoff@rose.de who was very helpful and sorted it out for me.

I bought a few things off them recently and I didn't get a confirmation e-mail. I rang them and they confirmed they had got my order and were processing it. They said there was a problem with their website or something. I got the stuff in good time (can't remember if I got a 'dispatched' e-mail - I can check later if you want).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ROK ON wrote: »
    Closest that I came to that was last year on the Tour de Munster. Descended off the Conor Pass behind one of the motorbike outriders. The road down was mostly clear and I just followed his wheel into every turn. The guy on the bike had sirens and flashing lights and he got all the traffic coming up the pass to pull in.

He even pointed out a stray sheep to me at one stage. I like descending, particularly the Conor Pass - but this was completely exhilarating.

The worst cycling accident i've ever come accross was on that descent.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Holy hell, I wish I hadn't seen that discussion over on After Hours. Some of those people should be sectioned.

Holy hell, I wish I hadn't seen that discussion over on After Hours. Some of those people should be sectioned.

I saw the title and avoided it. I didn't want to see the typical dense lowest common multiple of the AH poster. Derpa derp cyclists should be the footpad, get out my way :mad:

wrong.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This isn't really off topic discussion (or maybe it is! :) ) but I don't think it warrants an entire thread.

I am cycling along the N11, on the cycle lane (for those that don't know it, the N11 for the most part is 3 lanes of traffic each direction and a central reservation with dedicated cycle lanes on each side of the road).

I want to turn right. What is the correct way to do this? The issue of course is getting across 3 lanes of traffic to the outside lane on a really busy road. For what it's worth, I believe the limit on the N11 is 60 in the bits I'm concerned with, so traffic is pretty fast moving (I think it goes up to 100 in parts? ).

Are you even able to turn right? :pac:

Sort of new to cycling and this has me curious, thankfully I haven't encountered this situation yet (as luck would have it I've always been turning left off the N11). Don't want to get flattened!

It's one year tomorrow that I opened the doors to the cave for the first time and what a year it's been!!!
    So I just want to thank all the Boardsies I've met along the way, some have entrusted me with extremely expensive kit, some have just let me hit things with a hammer a lot, some have become friends (the ones that bring coffee, cake or cookies) where as others are just customers (the ones that bring nothing :pac:) and I have never built so many wheels in the space of a year!

But all of you have been absolutely and utterly the nicest bunch of people I have ever come across in all my years in the bicycle business, your support and readiness to recommend me is just mind boggling but very much appreciated as with out it I feel I would be working on BSOs most of the time (not that I mind working on them, I'm willing to work on any thing with wheels and pedals) but it is nice to work on other things now and again, especially the oldies that some of you have brought me.

I'm sure I haven't kept all of you happy all of the time, delays, supplier mess ups, MY mess ups but I really have tried very hard to do my best all of the time to get all your problems solved to the best of my ability.

It's been a pleasure to meet every single one of you and to talk about bikes (which I love doing) or racing (which I'm still learning about!).

So just a THANK YOU from a very humbled Holyboy!!!!

Oh and I should probably thank the mods for going very easy on me in the early days of my posting, I really deserved a ban or two but it never happened and for letting me post this (as I asked before hand) hopefully all the above is OK and won't need to be edited!

HB

P.S. THANKS :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's one year tomorrow that I opened the doors to the cave for the first time and what a year it's been!!!
    So I just want to thank all the Boardsies I've met along the way, some have entrusted me with extremely expensive kit, some have just let me hit things with a hammer a lot, some have become friends (the ones that bring coffee, cake or cookies) where as others are just customers (the ones that bring nothing :pac:) and I have never built so many wheels in the space of a year!

But all of you have been absolutely and utterly the nicest bunch of people I have ever come across in all my years in the bicycle business, your support and readiness to recommend me is just mind boggling but very much appreciated as with out it I feel I would be working on BSOs most of the time (not that I mind working on them, I'm willing to work on any thing with wheels and pedals) but it is nice to work on other things now and again, especially the oldies that some of you have brought me.

I'm sure I haven't kept all of you happy all of the time, delays, supplier mess ups, MY mess ups but I really have tried very hard to do my best all of the time to get all your problems solved to the best of my ability.

It's been a pleasure to meet every single one of you and to talk about bikes (which I love doing) or racing (which I'm still learning about!).

So just a THANK YOU from a very humbled Holyboy!!!!

Oh and I should probably thank the mods for going very easy on me in the early days of my posting, I really deserved a ban or two but it never happened and for letting me post this (as I asked before hand) hopefully all the above is OK and won't need to be edited!

HB

P.S. THANKS :D

You seem like a top bloke, I'll be in the Bee-cave shortly hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Congratulations. Hope you have many more years like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

awec wrote: »
    This isn't really off topic discussion (or maybe it is! :) ) but I don't think it warrants an entire thread.

I am cycling along the N11, on the cycle lane (for those that don't know it, the N11 for the most part is 3 lanes of traffic each direction and a central reservation with dedicated cycle lanes on each side of the road).

I want to turn right. What is the correct way to do this? The issue of course is getting across 3 lanes of traffic to the outside lane on a really busy road. For what it's worth, I believe the limit on the N11 is 60 in the bits I'm concerned with, so traffic is pretty fast moving (I think it goes up to 100 in parts? ).

Are you even able to turn right? :pac:

Sort of new to cycling and this has me curious, thankfully I haven't encountered this situation yet (as luck would have it I've always been turning left off the N11). Don't want to get flattened!

I'd say in the city sections it's a matter of getting in lane early enough. There'll be traffic lights slowing things down and such like.

OTOH, if you're not comfortable negotiating that level of traffic, turn left onto a side road, do a u-turn and cross the N11 with the traffic lights.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'd say in the city sections it's a matter of getting in lane early enough. There'll be traffic lights slowing things down and such like.

OTOH, if you're not comfortable negotiating that level of traffic, turn left onto a side road, do a u-turn and cross the N11 with the traffic lights.

The going onto a side road and doubling round is a great idea. I think I'll do that. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement