Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Anyone know of any OSX programs that are similar enough to Textpad on windows?

Trying to compile and run java applications, and we usually use Textpad in the labs.

Lot of alternatives discussed here; http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86436
    (I know zilch about any of this)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

hueylewis wrote: »
    Got caught in the rain at Cruagh and on my way back by Rockbrook I nearly skidded the bike out from under me on a sharp uturn. My mistake of approaching too fast and inexplicably pulling the rear brake not once, but three times as I started the turn before copping on. Luckily no one around to see me forced to straighten the bike up and cycle towards a wall to regain my balance.

Been there done that.

Finally crushed my descending demons today with a non panicked/non crawled descent back down Howth head in the wet.

Like Doozerie suggested I busied myself with rational lists of things to do from that how to descend like a pro article he linked, I still braked a little bit too much but not so much that anyone would laugh at me.

Also, a true test of the new brake pads and the GP4seasons which were both excellent.

Edit: I even did the tongue between the teeth thing a good few times as a first step to relaxing the body at the start of a drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

"ALWAYS.....no that's not it......NEVER put your tongue between your teeth!"

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Sean Yates book is out and he's been drumming up some publicity for it by defending Armstrong and criticising Sky

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/yates-defends-armstrong-but-is-critical-of-team-sky

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Trying to compile and run java applications, and we usually use Textpad in the labs.
    FWIW, textpad (or any text editor) won't compile or run java (or any other programming language), so you will have to go to terminal to javac your java file anyway - presumably you do this. For true text-editing goodness you could use VI(m) or for greatness use emacs.

With that said, you could try using an IDE, which _will_ compile and run your code as well as provide context sensitive help to you as you write. Eclipse is well known and free, though I have started to use IDEA which I prefer. If you happen to be writing Android apps, the android environment now bundles with IDEA instead of eclipse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

tires with more grip.

Vittoria tyres make my bike look sexy
    Did they have more grip then your death wish tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

I use Sublime Text 2 for all my work. I don't have any experience with java, but it might be worth a look.

bcmf wrote: »

I found Rubinos pretty grippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bcmf wrote: »

So far so good, no slipping today.

When I took the Luganos off, I realised I'd pretty much worn all of the thread and squared it off from my mad fixie skillz.

Idleater wrote: »
    FWIW, textpad (or any text editor) won't compile or run java (or any other programming language), so you will have to go to terminal to javac your java file anyway - presumably you do this. For true text-editing goodness you could use VI(m) or for greatness use emacs.

With that said, you could try using an IDE, which _will_ compile and run your code as well as provide context sensitive help to you as you write. Eclipse is well known and free, though I have started to use IDEA which I prefer. If you happen to be writing Android apps, the android environment now bundles with IDEA instead of eclipse.

Yeah it's just for compiling the code to check for errors, save anything heavier for the labs.

Downloaded Eclipse and I'm struggling to work my way around it.

• Advertisement

Rubino, Rubino Pro and Diamante Pro are great grippy tyres in the dry and the wet.
    Although I had to cut short my spin the other day as I destroyed my rear Diamante when I clipped a stone flying over soome North County Pave on the 'sweet spot' of the tyre and just ripped the sidewall .
    Just deciding what I will get as my winter tyre.
    If I can find a Diamante going cheap then will run that but may just go with a set of Rubino Pro's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think Eclipse is pretty standard for Java, I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos...it's pretty straightforward to setup once you see it done once.

So far so good, no slipping today.

When I took the Luganos off, I realised I'd pretty much worn all of the thread and squared it off from my mad fixie skillz.

I was wondering why Luganos rang a bell.

Then I remembered there was one on my friend's Boardman Team Carbon, the rubber was paring away as I ran the plastic tyre lever around the rim. A bike maintenance Naif I might be, but I'm pretty sure that's not a sign of quality.

^^^^
    Funny you should say that.
    Had a set of Schawlbe Ultremo's that the outer rubber came away form the carcass. Saw it happening to RobFowls set as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I got Shamrock Rovers to the 1/4 finals of the Champions League in Football Manager 13, do you think I should apply for the job of gaffer?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I got Shamrock Rovers to the 1/4 finals of the Champions League in Football Manager 13, do you think I should apply for the job of gaffer?

Nah, just go straight to applying for the Ireland job.

Rovers? Really?

You could probably manage an u10s team, they'll probably have more talent ;)

Here's a song I was taught at the ripe old age of 6 years old.

When I was just a little boy I asked my mother what will I be?
    Will I be Rovers? or will I be Bohs? Here's what she said to me:
    'Wash your mouth my son, And get your father's gun, And shoot the Rovers scum,
    We hate Rovers, We hate Rovers, We hate Rovers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Yeah it's just for compiling the code to check for errors, save anything heavier for the labs.

Downloaded Eclipse and I'm struggling to work my way around it.

For quick edit, compile and test install vim.

Eclipse is definitely worth putting a bit of time into, once you get the hang of it it does a lot of the boilerplate coding, catches typos, auto-fills available methods (or inserts stubs if you require them), has inline javadoc and generally is the canine genitalia where Java IDEs are concerned.

That said, you probably need to spend a bit of time footling about with a plain text editor and writing your own ant build specs for the sake of understanding before handing over all responsibility to an IDE ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

That said, you probably need to spend a bit of time footling about with a plain text editor and writing your own ant build specs for the sake of understanding before handing over all responsibility to an IDE ;)

An IDE will not save you from having to write build scipts. No matter what you use for writing code the build server still needs a script to package it all up. It's an important bit for release management and continuous integration. Plus a good build tool will handle the pesky task of dependency management for you. An IDE just makes your life easier writing the actual code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I want to develop an app to make me go faster. Should I use Eclipse or a text editor?

• Advertisement

I want to develop an app to make me go faster. Should I use Eclipse or a text editor?

What you need is a dura ace chain and carbon bidons/holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Whichever is more agile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This chap is a bit of a cycling bore........

1238304_578139328894307_240072746_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Cyclo-necro-beastiality?

Impressive!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hmmzis wrote: »
    An IDE will not save you from having to write build scipts. No matter what you use for writing code the build server still needs a script to package it all up. It's an important bit for release management and continuous integration. Plus a good build tool will handle the pesky task of dependency management for you. An IDE just makes your life easier writing the actual code.

Not sure I'd agree there. Built a new PC to speed up C++ builds about a month ago, and the VS2010 multi-core compilation and linking absolutely rocks on it. I use either InnoIDE or InstallShield express for packaging / distribution, neither of which require much scripting. I have scheduled tasks running on my test automation and build PCs that take snapshots of the latest source and fire off the necessary apps for build and test. A couple of batch files, but nothing fancy. A full test suite takes about four hours to run, and build and test typically happens twice a day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What you need is a dura ace chain and carbon bidons/holders.

He will go fast but he won't last very long, he needs a SRAM chain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Hmmzis wrote: »

Wrong thread/forum, but straightforward build.xml files for ant can be created inside Eclipse with point and drool interface.

And now for something completely different...

271526.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Nice cycle this evening, only spoiled by getting beeped out of it by a taxi on the way home. I managed to catch up with him and asked him what the problem was, he said I was riding in the bus lane and that I was going to get myself knocked down (a threat perhaps). I pointed out it's a shared bus/cycle lane, he called me a loser and told me to get out of the lycra...spanner:

What can you do when confronted with such stupidity??? Not sure where else I was supposed to cycle.

As far as I can tell from the famous/infamous 2012 traffic act, all bus lanes and bus only streets are open to cyclists:
    (2) A person shall not enter a bus lane with a vehicle other than a large public service vehicle or a pedal cycle during the period of operation of the bus lane indicated on an information plate.

(3) A person shall not enter a contra-flow bus lane with a vehicle other than a large public service vehicle or a pedal cycle.

(4) A person shall not enter a bus-only street with a vehicle other than a large public service vehicle or a pedal cycle except for the purpose of access.
    EXPLANATORY NOTE
    ... consolidation of regulation provisions of 1997-2011 for use of bus lanes (including change in law to permit pedal cyclists to use contra-flow bus lanes and bus-only streets) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Finally got below 9 minutes on the sutton side of Howth! Albeit I clocked an 8.59 today, its been a goal for quite some time..considering I posted a time of over 13 minutes at the beginning of this year! :pac:

http://www.strava.com/segments/1019696

..and you'll never guess who has the same time as me..Ryan Sherlock :pac:

***Ryan if you are reading this please do not feel the need to go back and re-do the segment as its my only cycling claim to fame***

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Zyzz wrote: »
    ***Ryan if you are reading this please do not feel the need to go back and re-do the segment as its my only cycling claim to fame***
    I had a KOM that had Ryan in second place, I was so happy, then I looked at it and realised the only reason I had it was because I rode the segment at night where all the lights remained green and there was no traffic. It subsequently got reported, I flew to close to the sun...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement