Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Night cycling is really nice. The night closes around you, ...

A few months back I was cycling in the Yorkshire moors during daylight but it was foggy, very foggy, and visibility shrunk quickly as I climbed higher, it got down to no more than a handful of metres. It was very surreal, it felt as if the world was physically shrinking around me. It didn't help that the setting was straight out of a horror story, it was a toss up between the Hound of the Baskervilles and a werewolf as being the most likely thing to emerge from the fog.

Anyway, as enjoyable as it was it also creeped me out a bit, gravity started feeling inadequate to keep me from parting company with the planet. I had to resist the urge to give gravity a helping hand by climbing off the bike and laying face down on the ground to increase my contact area with it. It wasn't my most manly moment, I must admit.

Great place though, Yorkshire, and excellent for cycling. I'm not sure I'm really selling it very well above...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

A note about cycling out of Dublin towards Meath last night, I was actually descending confidently and well on the few long descents on the route but perversely I couldn't break 40kph due to the crappy road surface that was vibrating me like a ladies private recreational aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

20130905092906uid1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Very important video which proves track riders are better at almost everything than road riders

Trololololol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

For sportive riders...

http://road.cc/content/blog/92981-if-you-can%E2%80%99t-see-my-handlebars%E2%80%A6

Sportivist-Final.jpg
    Sportivist Blind Spots
    Don't assume any large gap between sportivists is safe. When veering across the road for no reason large riders often wobble over to the right before they swing sharply across to the left to stop. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Raam wrote: »

Thanks Raam, that'll be very useful for me this Sunday in my first Sportive.

How am I meant to keep away from myself though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

quozl wrote: »

Uhm, stay at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Raam wrote: »
    Uhm, stay at home?

But then I won't be a Sportivist and won't need to avoid myself.

So I'll go out, but then...

I'm doomed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Very important video which proves track riders are better at almost everything than road riders

Trololololol

But does it make up for feeling like a hamster on a wheel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

But does it make up for feeling like a hamster on a wheel ?

Never had that issue, but I do have a short concentration span. Still, it's a lot less boring and more enjoyable than sitting in a bunch in A4.

• Advertisement

quozl wrote: »

Wait until you are distracted, such as when you are eating food on the bike, and sprint away from yourself.

20130906_170017.jpg

Anyone encountered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I saw a similar stand by the same company but for running stuff at the start of the summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I saw a similar stand by the same company but for running stuff at the start of the summer.

I thought I seen them do hurling stuff (gloves and bar wraps) awhile ago but could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Has anyone heard the atrocious RSA cycling ad on the radio or Spotify? It starts off with a cyclist's inner monologue excitedly describing his race to a traffic light (I think, can't remember word for word), before going over the bonnet of a car. It concludes with a patronising voice telling cyclists its everyone's responsibility to be careful on the road. The Spotify ad format also includes a little square banner, in this case the message accompanying the audio is something to the effect of "watch out for cyclists on the road". I mean, the underlying message isn't wrong, but the way it's framed and presented is very bad - the banner really typifies the "us vs them" mentality in my eyes.

Edit: Ok, last I'll say about this ad after hearing it again. Managed to record the latter half here. Maybe it's just me and I'm making something out of nothing, but it sounds so condescending. Just stuck out to me because I've found other RSA ads in the past to be generally pretty good about driving and cycling behaviour/awareness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

New desktop background :)

6ifKY9y.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

Lost two screws out of my spd sl cleats. Can you get these anywhere? New to cycling and no spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

wilfitz wrote: »
    Lost two screws out of my spd sl cleats. Can you get these anywhere? New to cycling and no spares.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-spd-sl-fixing-bolts-long/rp-prod28898

Or unless someone has a few spare lying around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

wilfitz wrote: »

I just changed a set yesterday pm me with address and I will post spares to you gratis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

clog wrote: »
    I just changed a set yesterday pm me with address and I will post spares to you gratis.

Thanks. Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Zyzz wrote: »
    New desktop background :)

6ifKY9y.jpg?1

No selfies!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

look out of the window bucketing rain, ok sealskin socks, knee warmer, arm warmers, long finger gloves, no rain shorts, event gilet, overshoes

what happens sun comes out

What a weekend. On Saturday as I prepared to eat my freshly made pancakes I was shocked to find that I had only a single lemon in the house, not enough for both my pancakes and for the lemon cheesecake I'd be making that afternoon. So no lemon on my pancakes then. I decided to console myself with a glass of San Pellegrino but, horror, there was no bottle in the fridge so I'd have to settle for some from a non-chilled bottle on a shelf.

And today, after a bike ride, as I used up the rest of the pancake batter while my croissants were heating up in the oven, I realised that these pancakes would have to be consumed without lemon juice too.

My life is a series of daunting challenges, I'll bet kids these days don't know how easy they have it by comparison, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

So Burger King now do a Triple Whopper with Bacon and Cheese. Polished one off earlier. How many k's will it to take to burn that bad boy off????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

detones wrote: »
    So Burger King now do a Triple Whopper with Bacon and Cheese. Polished one off earlier. How many k's will it to take to burn that bad boy off????

6 repeats of kilmashogue lane and 4 Hail Marys

detones wrote: »

When you get to Australia, write back and tell us if the toilets really do flush the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

When you get to Australia, write back and tell us if the toilets really do flush the other way.

And watch out for white jeeps:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/cyclist-hit-by-car-challenges-police-over-fine-video-evidence-20130906-2tb68.html

The audible screams after the impact are chilling. I'm not sure if SMH is a tabloid, but after the interview concludes, they stick in a little audio clip of them, just to make sure you're completely unnerved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

From Grand Theft Auto 5 :D

FB1Yt36.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Strava gave me a good auld chuckle today...

Came out from my Lumbar Spine CT Scan this evening to find an e-mail from Strava about increasing on my segment times :D

Yeah, doing well to move around this week; never mind get on my lickle racer; dare to even think about about improving Strava times!

Oh Roll on my detailed results and Please God a solution as my patience ain't at its best when I is in pain :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement