Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

To update that emblem..

Original crest

OtjDdxr.jpg?1

My idea for the rugby team emblem..

MCkogfq.jpg?1

Its only a rough sketch, thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Not sure where else I was supposed to cycle.
    Zyzz wrote: »
    Accidentally take his wing mirror off?
    I think Dirk meant where was he supposed to cycle if obeying the incorrectly posted shared bus lane sign. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

To update that emblem..

Original crest

OtjDdxr.jpg?1

My idea for the rugby team emblem..

MCkogfq.jpg?1

Its only a rough sketch, thoughts?

It's a great sketch for sure, might be a bit to intricate for printing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm heading off to review the Strava records now:D

Small enough field to pick from this morning. Not me as I am wearing my De Ver gear for commuting.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    It's a great sketch for sure, might be a bit to intricate for printing though.

That's what I'm worried about :/ I can make the wings look a lot simpler..that might make it look less intricate lol

• Advertisement

That's what I'm worried about :/ I can make the wings look a lot simpler..that might make it look less intricate lol

All depends on what kind of jerseys they're using too, some crowds still use stitched crests, so that could rule out a lot of things.

If it's the laser printed ones on some of the newer kits it'd probably be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Another Michael's boy? I feel like Milhouse meeting his shelbyville counterpart!

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    All depends on what kind of jerseys they're using too, some crowds still use stitched crests, so that could rule out a lot of things.

If it's the laser printed ones on some of the newer kits it'd probably be grand.

Yeh Im not too sure. I have until sept 25th to throw in some entries so I may send a few emails out and see what can and can't be done!
    Another Michael's boy? I feel like Milhouse meeting his shelbyville counterpart!

tumblr_m02yq2wfWz1rpliteo1_400.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Saw some ginger with Sunglasses and a leather jacket yesterday giving peds dirty looks for being in his way...I wanted to treat him like my stepchild.
    You clothesline your stepchildren?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

CramCycle wrote: »
    You clothesline your stepchildren?

I don't have any but if I did...maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What about replacing the cuckoo and cat with a gryphon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

When stupidity hits high score:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Superb.
    Bit of a chest thumper eh?
    :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Could he not just extend it a bit further, over the handlebars, and convert it into an instant aero bar?
    I'd get one then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Toxic Idiocy levels tonight.

I was going slowly in the canal cycle path because there was a guy riding a big Dutch bike with his wife/significant other sitting on the rear rack.

As we started to move off from the lights some genius undertook us both at a whiskers breadth.

I get the idiocy of undertaking (which, from observation, seems to be on the rise lately), but where's the idiotic behaviour in your first grievance?

I should probably point out that I'm asking as a regular user of the canal cycle track, who rides a Dutch bike and who often gives his significant other a backer. (Although it wasn't me that you saw on that occasion.)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

AstraMonti wrote: »
    When stupidity hits high score:

He also needs to sort out those levers on his bike. Looks to be as if they are pointing in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

According to Miriam O'Callaghan's show on Radio One now, Michael's Collin's custom made bike featured in iconic pics, has been discovered in regular use (unbeknownst to the current owner).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    I get the idiocy of undertaking (which, from observation, seems to be on the rise lately), but where's the idiotic behaviour in your first grievance?

I should probably point out that I'm asking as a regular user of the canal cycle track, who rides a Dutch bike and who often gives his significant other a backer. (Although it wasn't me that you saw on that occasion.)

Oh no I wasn't criticising the guy on the dutch bike at all. It had a mahoosive rear rack and some sort of foot rest for her to sit sidesaddle. I was merely explaining why I had to go slower.

Oh no I wasn't criticising the guy on the dutch bike at all. It had a mahoosive rear rack and some sort of foot rest for her to sit sidesaddle. I was merely explaining why I had to go slower.

Aah, gotcha!

*parks ire for another day* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Here is an interesting/odd thing, a review of the Zencranks, a crank+pedal combo that essentially changes your crank length depending on where you are in the crank rotation. The picture shows 2 conventional cranks with the new Zencranks at the bottom:

DSC05957-660x440.jpeg
    Zencranks have the pedal bearings built into each crank arm and an extension arm pivoting at that point, which is connected to the pedal, whose spindle will not rotate. The system makes the trajectory of the metatarsals of the rider’s foot far more egg-shaped than with most pedal systems.
    Over what for me these days is about a 33-minute climb, I found the Zencranks to be around two minutes faster, or took six percent less time, than the 177.5mm cranks, and they were around a minute slower, or took three percent more time, than the 205mm cranks.

…Lennard Zinn has strong views on ideal crank length (which are not universally shared) hence his use of 205mm cranks as standard for him. The Zencranks he tested were 200mm, their equivalent of 175mm conventional cranks, and this difference in effective length versus his standard 205mm cranks might or might not have influenced the results.

Apparently the Zencranks are UCI approved too, though UCI compliance requires that the pedals be tailored for this purpose.

• Advertisement

According to Miriam O'Callaghan's show on Radio One now, Michael's Collin's custom made bike featured in iconic pics, has been discovered in regular use (unbeknownst to the current owner).

If he'd been riding his bike on that fateful day then he could have cycled around the roadblock and avoided being shot. There is a moral in there somewhere …I'm not quite sure what it is exactly but how about "See, motoring kills!"...

This may be interesting for anyone that has 10speed Shimano-compatible wheels and looking to migrate to Shimano 11speed:
    However, there is a fix for those with wheels that are not convertible to Shimano 11-speed freehubs but that offer Campagnolo freehubs (as you might imagine, Shimano is not one of those). You can install a Campagnolo freehub body on your wheel and get a Campagnolo 11-speed cogset. It will shift fine with a Shimano or SRAM 11-speed system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

doozerie wrote: »
    If he'd been riding his bike on that fateful day then he could have cycled around the roadblock and avoided being shot. There is a moral in there somewhere …I'm not quite sure what it is exactly but how about "See, motoring kills!"...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/michael-collinss-famous-high-nelly-bicycle-found-29573174.html

No, he would have still been deader than a dead thing - he never wore a helmet, that's much more dangerous than an ambush, the RSA have said so......

EDIT:- the exhibition sounds interesting!

I feel like Milhouse meeting his shelbyville counterpart!

So that makes me, um, Morganville Milhouse?

*adjusts onion belt*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just saw this in Dungarvan museum.
    £12 12s in 1924.
    Father told me he paid £18 in 1948, thought he had made a mistake, looks about right though.

No 2 is an information poster about cycling club in Dungarvan in 19th century

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

"All bright parts heavily plated on copper"

Must have looked lovely, but cleaning / polishing was a chore I guess ;-)

Twelve years warranty - nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I don't f**king believe it! Same stretch of road as yesterday, people sitting in the bus lane to turn left down Wellington Place towards Clyde Road. This guy nearly clipped me off.

I'd seen him up in Ranelagh, making a meal of squeezing past a car and mounting the footpath in the process.

Needless to say, street justice was dispensed, but that stretch of road is a joke, no one seems to know how to use it!

Argh! Rant rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Got caught in the rain at Cruagh and on my way back by Rockbrook I nearly skidded the bike out from under me on a sharp uturn. My mistake of approaching too fast and inexplicably pulling the rear brake not once, but three times as I started the turn before copping on. Luckily no one around to see me forced to straighten the bike up and cycle towards a wall to regain my balance.

I'm dreading the rain now.

The rain trousers, overshoes, rain jackets, mudguards, tires with more grip.

They all make my bike look yucky.

• Advertisement

Anyone know of any OSX programs that are similar enough to Textpad on windows?

Trying to compile and run java applications, and we usually use Textpad in the labs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement