Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Wasp got stuck in my helmet on tonight's spin..went to get it out..stings my finger!

eh, ouch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

furiousox wrote: »
    Saw the exact same car in Dublin Airport carpark a few months ago.
    Just had to stop and take a few photos.
    Beautiful piece of engineering.

Sh1t parking though, :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So I thought that losing most of my spin in the Phoenix park tonight to self inflicted mechanicals (why did I have to mess with the cable tension again?) would be the worst feeling I had tonight.

But no, instead I saw some bearded pervert demean and degrade a beautiful Surly Cross Check by riding it on the footpath and then cutting out into the lane in time to jump a red light into a blind junction.

Immediately after getting back from my rubbish spin in the park I was tasked with a trip to Lidl and dutifully changed into tracksuit bottoms and runners and hopped on the beater. Somewhat shamefully I paid the dickishness forward by blazing past some guy on a nice Cannondale with a Hi Vis smiley face on his backpack even though I was only going another few hundred metres and I'm sure there would have been no contest over any sort of distance.

So much poison in the cycling world.

(Special driver safety mention to the guy doing a three pointer at the edge of the exit before the Spar on Rathmines road while talking on the phone.)

PS: I did get a little bit of descending practice in though which helped.

So I thought that losing most of my spin in the Phoenix park tonight to self inflicted mechanicals (why did I have to mess with the cable tension again?) would be the worst feeling I had tonight.

But no, instead I saw some bearded pervert demean and degrade a beautiful Surly Cross Check by riding it on the footpath and then cutting out into the lane in time to jump a red light into a blind junction.

Immediately after getting back from my rubbish spin in the park I was tasked with a trip to Lidl and dutifully changed into tracksuit bottoms and runners and hopped on the beater. Somewhat shamefully I paid the dickishness forward by blazing past some guy on a nice Cannondale with a Hi Vis smiley face on his backpack even though I was only going another few hundred metres and I'm sure there would have been no contest over any sort of distance.

So much poison in the cycling world.

(Special driver safety mention to the guy doing a three pointer at the edge of the exit before the Spar on Rathmines road while talking on the phone.)

PS: I did get a little bit of descending practice in though which helped.

If I overtake you and you overtake me at the lights I will stare into the depths of your soul as I cycle past. One should only overtake if faster than the cyclist in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Advertisement

Zyzz wrote: »
    If I overtake you and you overtake me at the lights I will stare into the depths of your soul as I cycle past. One should only overtake if faster than the cyclist in front.

Oh no I didn't shoal.

I accelerated past him on the open road.

It was a fair overtake, but dickish in the sense that I'm sure once he woke from his reverie he could have gone faster than I could on my singlespeed MTB but it being Rathmines there was little room for manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

AstraMonti wrote: »

the AMOUNT of spacers on that bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I was going to comment on how well parked it was in the earlier photo. And then I saw this one :eek:

Same car - different driver ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

route66 wrote: »
    I was going to comment on how well parked it was in the earlier photo. And then I saw this one :eek:

Same car - different driver ?

Think it might have being going in for a valet. It was parked in the staff area in block A.
    I reckon it's worth about 300k?
    Maybe a pilot owns it...or Michael O'Leary!

CPL 593H

Nobody noticed the missing mirrors :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

270315.JPG

Engineering standards - High
    Parking standards - Crap

Edit: ...oh, should have read the next page of posts where CramCycle already pointed this out. Scarleh'

Nobody noticed the missing mirrors :pac:

Classic cars only require a central mirror if their original base specification did not have them.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Classic cars only require a central mirror if their original base specification did not have them.

Not everyone is as knowledgable as you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

3 years, countless man hours (a lot of procrastinating), horrific amounts of coffee, 2 laptops, 100 pages and 4 drafts and I'm finally finished! All that's left is to write an acknowledgements page, print 3 copies, get them bound and hand them in and I'm finally done and dusted with my research masters! I thought this day would never come!

Going to sleep for the next week!

colm_gti wrote: »
    3 years, countless man hours (a lot of procrastinating), horrific amounts of coffee, 2 laptops, 100 pages and 4 drafts and I'm finally finished! All that's left is to write an acknowledgements page, print 3 copies, get them bound and hand them in and I'm finally done and dusted with my research masters! I thought this day would never come!

Going to sleep for the next week!

well done man. now only another 4 years and 180,000 words:pac:

there should be a strava for dissertations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

slap/dash wrote: »
    well done man. now only another 4 years and 180,000 words:pac:

Not a hope in hell! Actually started out as a phd student, but a number of 'events' that occurred over the past three years have lead to my complete loss of interest in research, and my decision to cut my losses and run away, fast, with a research masters!

Either way it's done now, and I hope to never have to go through all that again!

Not everyone is as knowledgable as you ;)

The only know because my boss is a classic car man, I asked him about it before, apparently it was an optional extra in high end cars,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Congratulations Colm. The relief must be overwhelming.

Re the Aston: I notice a trend in displaying photos of badly parked cars on the web. In this case of the Aston and a lot of other beautiful cars the owner (I presume) has learned from experience that if you have to park somewhere you're guaranteed to get a high proportion of nonces, you have to park in such a way that none of these nonces can park anywhere near you, out of range of clumsily, carelessly opened car doors and hundreds of euro of damage.

You'd think that parking at the empty end of the car park would work. The part that's the furthest away from the shops (or other destination). The nonces don't like those spots. Too much walking. They'd rather drive around the nearer sections for 5 Or 10 minutes hoping a space will open up instead of walking the 2 minutes from the depths of section R. No risk of dings out at the far reaches of the car park you'd think. Sometimes, but sometimes one of them'll spot you and figure there's something special over there. And you'll return to find that the car you left with 5 spaces either side now has a partner. One car that could have parked anywhere in the 20 spaces in that section but out of pure loneliness or fear parked right on top of yours. And sure enough, there's a scratch matching the colour of your partner there or another small dent and you realise you really just can't have nice things so you park using up two spaces as it seems like the only guarantee of protection from these fools.

Then you come on visit the Internet and find these same damagers of property are amongst an angry mob disgusted at your attempt to protect your investment ("Who do they think they are? Why is their car more important than mine?"), angry that parents and children get spaces with a little extra room ("'Breeders', they're just disgusting") and a variety of people who park in disabled spots ("They had nothing wrong with them, just had a stick, sure I've worse pains in my legs are football games.") and you realise it's you against the world.

That parking by the Aston driver is quite poor though in fairness. Clearly he was expecting valet parking and was late for his flight or was kidnapped mid-parking.

I'd also add that I've been in my car when people like this have hit my car and they really just don't care. And don't get me started at how often it's happened at races. Actually shook the car they hit it that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Here it is from another angle.
    I reckon the valet staff temporarily left it like that either pre or post valet.
    No way it's been parked like that.

270371.JPG

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Cars like that were meant for Valet parking.

Far too much trouble in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

270315.JPG

was in one of these, for a car of its age so comfortable amazing seats and ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Hmmzis wrote: »
    He just looks like another knacker with issues trying to get some attention.

His favourite F1 driver is Alonso so let him know this lol
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057030107

buffalo wrote: »
    tbh, if I saw a lad coming down the road on motorbikes, I'd give him plenty of room. ;)

Motorbike ownership also runs along the lines of n+1

manafana wrote: »
    was in one of these, for a car of its age so comfortable amazing seats and ride.

Was in my bosses volvo P1800, comfort is an understatement for a car of its age.

Does anyone know a good way to melt the end of a gear cable? The ends/strands have come loose and I can't get it back into the housing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Does anyone know a good way to melt the end of a gear cable? The ends/strands have come loose and I can't get it back into the housing :(
    A new cable would probably be better. I tried forcing a frayed brake cable back into housing and a few rogue strands ended up folding back on itself. Should only be €1-€2 for a new cable and end in your LBS.

A new cable would probably be better. I tried forcing a frayed brake cable back into housing and a few rogue strands ended up folding back on itself. Should only be €1-€2 for a new cable and end in your LBS.

Yeh I've done that before aswel, pain in the hole. I want to get out on the bike tonight but can't get out to get a new cable at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is there much excess length on the cable? You could probably burn off the ends with a lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

You could try tinning it with a spot of solder if you have the tools handy, otherwise one of the strands will catch, double back and generally make life miserable for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Superglue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement