Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    Flat ones don't count either.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I think Strava should have a dedicated ranking for drags, in addition to hills/mountains. That way you could have Drag Kings, but more amusingly, Drag Queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Disagree, but would be cool to see KOF and KOD :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Was out on Sunday with Bcmf and according to strava we beat both RAAM and Beasty on a flat segment.

(There's no point to this, just wanted to brag (will confidentially say will never beat RAAM on a proper KOM))

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

LOL @ egos racing each other on the internet :D;) Strava seems so open to abuse anyway, there's a segment near me where some guy apparently averaged 86km/h...in his car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

AstraMonti wrote: »
    One month of holidays is maybe too much... I 'm doing n-o-t-h-i-n-g all day apart from eating crap ( mmm yummy souvlaki ) and drinking beer. For the first time of my life I am 82kgs.. 8 more kgs than what I was when I got back from the raid. 8kgs in one month, it's a bit shocking knowing that I am getting older and my metabolism can't keep up with my ****ty attitude towards food. At least I would have a "lose a stone" target for the first time in my life lol. I need to buy a bike to leave it here for future purporses.. hm... next year :p
    Congrats.
    Only 10k to go and you will weigh the same as I do.

I know if you put your mind to this that you can achieve this.
    You know you want to.
    Btw - I had some souvlaki gyros at the w/e while out in Limerick.
    Wow. Where have these been all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Surinam wrote: »
    LOL @ egos racing each other on the internet :D;) Strava seems so open to abuse anyway, there's a segment near me where some guy apparently averaged 86km/h...in his car.
    You should see some of the speeds Rob reached on the M1 - would be illegal but for the fact that speed limits don't apply to a bike;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Am I the only one who seems to get no time out of bottom brackets? BB in my commuter is dead after 11 months, about 4,500km. One of the reasons I built the commuter was because I seemed to be replacing hollowtech BBs every six months on my road bike. I don't mind too much, it's a cheap UN-5X unit, but google seems to suggest 10,000km is the norm in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

seamus wrote: »
    Am I the only one who seems to get no time out of bottom brackets? BB in my commuter is dead after 11 months, about 4,500km. One of the reasons I built the commuter was because I seemed to be replacing hollowtech BBs every six months on my road bike. I don't mind too much, it's a cheap UN-5X unit, but google seems to suggest 10,000km is the norm in most cases.

Awesome watts. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Off out for breakfast in skerries. Then off out for a cycle afterwards. I like it when i have a day off for my birthday!

seamus wrote: »

commuter has square taper hardley a prob (apart from cranks loosening eventually and mangeling themselves)

hollowtech BB on road bike, ridden most weekends, can never stop it clicking seems to last a couple of months before i have to take everything apart again (105 or ultegra cups).honestly i think BB technology is gone to s**t imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

honestly i think BB technology is gone to s**t imo.

Totally agree. I'm sure bottom brackets used to last the life of a bike, with annual servicing (regrease/repack).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

can never stop it clicking

Having a similar problem with my bike, what steps do you take to fix it?

I'm having a problem with my bottom bracket too (FSA mega exo); less than two months old and it clicks/ticks when going uphill, at regular intervals with each crank turn. Bike got serviced last week and the guy took it out and regreased it but the problem remains. 99% sure it's the bottom bracket, definitely not the pedals or anything else hitting off the bike - I can only recreate the sound when pedalling hard or going uphill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I can only recreate the sound when pedalling hard or going uphill.

There's an easy solution for that ;)

RobFowl wrote: »
    There's an easy solution for that ;)
    Care to elaborate? Wink smileys aren't very helpful ;):D

colm_gti wrote: »

strip, grease then put everything back and use a torque wrench for everything
    usually keeps quiet fro a couple of weeks:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Care to elaborate? Wink smileys aren't very helpful ;):D

Don't go hard and avoid hill's......

RobFowl wrote: »
    Don't go hard and avoid hill's......
    Oh thanks lol.

Just not cycling at all is the solution - it will eliminate any mechanical problems and drastically reduce the need for maintenance.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

colm_gti wrote: »

It might be as simple as cleaning & regreasing just the BB cup threads (if that what endwireland was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

wa i supposed to click on that link and get mo farah :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You need to hit "Enter normal" to see the pics
    http://calverphoto.com/#id=album-104&num=content-1609

Best picture of the bike - check out the crazy criss-cross chain setup driving the back wheel. I'd be more interested in seeing pictures of the bike than Graham...

Insane how close his chin and knuckles are that front wheel. Don't want to think about the damage you could do at 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Seriously cool bike. Want one for the commute...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

cdaly_ wrote: »

There's room for a pannier there!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

cdaly_ wrote: »

That's not too far off your normal headwind position, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Obree was on the ITV Cycle Show talking about it. The bit about this bike starts at about 3:30.

I particularly like his top tip for staying safe on a bike in traffic: "Look wobbly". :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement