Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Yes, I see the bit you are describing. Although the paths are pointless and dis-organised I am sure there was other examples also of disasterious attempts at implementation in support of cyclists
    The one where you come off the roundabout with Foxlodge Woods on your right is fairly lumpy and pointless. I'm not sure where it starts exactly, but it does go in one end of the bus stop and out the other, which isn't very good if there's a bus there too. Further on, the path is quite high, and the track ends on a corner.

If she'd gone on straight at the roundabout, I think there's a short track there too, just outside the new school. It disappears around a corner into an estate, with no dished kerb to allow you to leave the path to continue on straight.

I take it she went on to Dunshaughlin via the GAA club, so she might have missed the elevated track that runs between the two roundabouts -- I know I did the first dozen or so times I passed. She would have also avoided the track that gives you a tour of the houses on the Rathfeigh road.

All pretty pointless and easily avoided tracks. Not sure if any of them have official signage, so they could have been ignored without any legal reproach :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

t'bear wrote: »
    Yes, I see the bit you are describing. Although the paths are pointless and dis-organised I am sure there was other examples also of disasterious attempts at implementation in support of cyclists
    Absolutely, Ratoath hasn't got the worst infrastructure in the country. I've never cycled to Sligo, so maybe it's the worst between Swords and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

24wx56t.jpg

Wondering, i'm short a couple of screws from a bike that was just returned to me in the post... stupid question, i really should know this... but what is the name of the bolt that hangs the deraileur to the frame and what sort of tool do i need to fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Had a rough day of it today, burst a tube on a pothole on the descent from Howth summit.. turned out the pump I had packed was about as much use as an asthmatic octogenarian, a fellow tried to help me out with another pump but that didn't work either for some reason.

Luckily got a lift down the hill from an older cyclist in a car (absolute legend) and the guys in the Bike Hub in Howth let me use their track pump which did the trick...

...and as if I couldn't have a bigger pain in my arse, the spindle on one of my Time ATAC pedals bent! Not horribly bent, but enough to be very annoying. Ah well, I was going to swap over to proper road pedals and shoes soon anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

buffalo wrote: »

Used to work with him for a while, nice guy. You'd have no idea he's insane* if you were just chatting to him

* well you'd want to be doing downhill road racing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

downhill road racing

that. sounds. awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

i really should know this... but what is the name of the bolt that hangs the deraileur to the frame and what sort of tool do i need to fit it?

Derailleur fixing bolt and its usually an allen key. I'm guessing its a 10 mm based on the fact that an 8 which is the biggest I have to hand is too small.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

For the second time this year, I had an ignorant, hairy legged buffoon actually shove me while stopped at a red light in order to get the stop line and plonk his ass out in the middle of a junction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

For the second time this year, I had an ignorant, hairy legged buffoon actually shove me while stopped at a red light in order to get the stop line and plonk his ass out in the middle of a junction.

What have you got against hairy legged buffoons?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Blue Moon! What will the Glazers give Fergie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

How do I post pictures?:P This seems like the right place too ask:L

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Competition for Friday - complete the following sentence:

"Sorry Vlad, if I'd known it was you I would have......"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

... I'd have broken the lights,
    ...I'd have shaved,
    ...I'd have pushed harder,
    ...I'd have worn my Orwell kit.
    ... I'd ask Mockler to race you again on his MTB :-)

Sure I can think of more by tomorrow.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How do I post pictures?:P This seems like the right place too ask:L
    Well you could just check the Site FAQs

Or, if you're copying something from a website you can normally simply copy and paste the picture

If you want to download a picture from your computer you will see a "Attach Files" section below the message box - click on "Manage Attachments" and follow the instructions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ROK ON wrote: »
    ... I'd have broken the lights,
    ...I'd have shaved,
    ...I'd have pushed harder,
    ...I'd have worn my Orwell kit.
    ... I'd ask Mockler to race you again on his MTB :-)

Sure I can think of more by tomorrow.

I don't think we'll ever let him forget that one.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

...impaled you with my razor thereby having a perfectly good reason for having hairy legs while completing a clever play on words that you would appreciate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    Competition for Friday - complete the following sentence:

"Sorry Vlad, if I'd known it was you I would have......"

...done it more often.
    ...vladly stopped.
    ...farted in your general direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

A few months ago, myself and buffalo were stopped at a red light when a guy on a bike behind us made it very clear he wanted to get past. He didn't like being told that the light was red and got very sniffy, telling us "You are blocking the road!". He seemed quite serious.

At the next red light, about 50 metres further on, he seemed to make a point of shoving past in a manner designed to cause offence. He then rode through the red light and off into the distance at a speed that would make a snail blush - as attempts at "that'll teach you" go, his effort was the equivalent of a teenager trying to slam a door shut only to find that it's a swing door. Unfortunately in this case though the door didn't actually swing back and wallop him in the indignant chops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I saw three people on a tandem (a triple, says Wikipedia) in Phibsboro this evening. An adult and two kids. There was something surreal about seeing the three of them pedal in unison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I saw three people on a tandem (a triple, says Wikipedia) in Phibsboro this evening. An adult and two kids. There was something surreal about seeing the three of them pedal in unison.

I saw a guy with his two kids at the Meath Tour, apparently he does a lot of the An Post events. I'd say it's hard work when the kids get tired, they looked wiped out at the end of the 50K.

I saw three people on a tandem (a triple, says Wikipedia)
    You mean a trandem;)

trandem2_larger.jpg

Goodie, Goodie, Yum, Yum ....

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

kilkenny5a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

first fall on the racer today :o clipless pedals and a junction can really surprise you if you try to track stand but have to clip out, over like a bag of spuds :D the mortification of it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    I'd like to tell you that it'll only happen once, but I would probably be lying...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Awkward turtle impression? ^

loads of people around too and i couldnt just jump up and cycle away quickly as my chain had come off :o no damage to the bike anyway thank god, although my new expensive right shoe latchamjige is all scratched

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

While out on the bike last night, I had no less than 4 particularly leggy flies take a header into my mouth. When I got home I measured the diameter of my open mouth, it is of average dimensions, and I checked for a bright light hiding in there, there was none. Basically I failed to find anything to explain its attraction to flies, I wish they'd just feck right off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

first fall on the racer today :o clipless pedals and a junction can really surprise you if you try to track stand but have to clip out, over like a bag of spuds :D the mortification of it

Two things: You probably fell on the road not the racer and it's not a racer its a road bike. Happy Friday ;)

• Advertisement

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Two things: You probably fell on the road not the racer and it's not a racer its a road bike. Happy Friday ;)

i simultaneously fell on the road and my "racer" in the same instant :pac: not as spectacular as some of my mtb exploits mind :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement