Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Tesco Bargains [No Off-Topic Chat - See Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

uli84 wrote: »
    as far as i know - this policy doesn't apply to 'reduced' items in their ''clearance'' sections, just to regular stuff on the shelves

A reduced round steak had its old pricing sticker read at the till by mistake hence I had been given the wrong (earlier) discount. After walking away and realizing the mistake, I queried the receipt, got my money back (about 3 euro) plus got to keep the steak for free. So some form of compensation seems to apply also to clearance or bargain corner products.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

psychward wrote: »
    A reduced round steak had its old pricing sticker read at the till by mistake hence I had been given the wrong (earlier) discount. After walking away and realizing the mistake, I queried the receipt, got my money back (about 3 euro) plus got to keep the steak for free. So some form of compensation seems to apply also to clearance or bargain corner products.

I think you were lucky. I find that if there is a problem with a reduced price label they just refund you the overcharge.

I also find that some reduced price labels don't scan properly and have to be imputed manually. (If one of the numbers has a side missing then it affects the bar-code reading too)

You need to very carefully examine any meat in their reduced price shelves. They often have items that are definitely not fit for human consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭CH3OH

BDJW wrote: »
    Good deal.

They have a deal going since before Christmas that matches this though.
    Normally a box of 20 300ml bottles is €20. They have a deal on since a few weeks before Christmas where they are selling 2 boxs for €30. 40 300ml bottles = 12,000ml.
    If you spend €30 on cans in this offer, you can pick up 24 cans. 24 500ml cans - 12,000ml!

And yes, I was bored earlier :p

With this deal you only have to spend a fiver. It's not bad getting 4 cans for a fiver.

P.S There was thread about the Bulmers bottle deal before christmas started by guess who?;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76002486

but it is good to know it is still running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-5111.aspx

3.49 euro in Tesco Celbridge, 15 sterling on Tesco direct. Not too bad with the holidays coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,820 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

brian_t wrote: »
    Yes Basq is correct - their Double the Difference policy was introduced last May. You should have been given €16.

didn't know about that at all but in tesco oranmore i bought
    three large mint crisps and the label said 39c but it scanned
    at 1.57
    i was given over 7 euro back for their mistake
    i was quite pleased with myself expecting half that amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,820 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

must add also that when i was in tesco galway yester that the label
    said 39c for tiffins and mint crisps
    I didn't do the dog on it despite being refunded in oranmore
    somebody might avail of these great offers :)
    won't happen in oranmore as they removed the label when they refunded me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

mailburner wrote: »
    won't happen in oranmore as they removed the label when they refunded me

The label is usually brought to the Customers Services Desk to confirm the overcharge.
    So theoretically the Double the Difference refund will only happen once for that item in that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The label is usually brought to the Customers Services Desk to confirm the overcharge.
    So theoretically the Double the Difference refund will only happen once for that item in that shop.
    I remember a few times they brought me to the shelf, I showed them the label and they never removed it. This was a few years ago with the full refund policy. Other times they did remove it -which left me wondering what happens with customers who were still shopping when I got the refund.

i.e. they might have gone back and claimed they were overcharged, I wondered if the customer service people would honour it, or make them go to the aisle and make out like there was no price up.

Lilt 2L is €1.50, not great but few other soft drinks are on offer right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

rubadub wrote: »
    ..i.e. they might have gone back and claimed they were overcharged, I wondered if the customer service people would honour it, or make them go to the aisle and make out like there was no price up.

It is illegal not to display the correct price on the shelf and they can and sometimes are prosecuted for this,. a fact that they may feign ignorance of.
    Have had same experiece.

Agreed 1.50 Lilt etc is hardly a bargain when its just a price you'd get from shopping around. Same for near sell-by produce. It's only going to be store specific, usually only on a specific day and a bit of a dice with ecoli.
    More real BAs pls:)

You need to very carefully examine any meat in their reduced price shelves. They often have items that are definitely not fit for human consumption.

Yeah for sure theres a lot of dodgy looking meat there and you have to be careful. I avoid the ones that look brown to dark brown and go for the steaks which still look red or pink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

psychward wrote: »
    Yeah for sure theres a lot of dodgy looking meat there and you have to be careful. I avoid the ones that look brown to dark brown and go for the steaks which still look red or pink.

I'm no expert, but I remember reading that good steak should not be bright pink or red.

I had fish the other day, it was perfectly edible and didn't smell "fishy" at all. Mind you, it was one of these posh packagings which are packed in the factory, not the ones from the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Was in tesco earlier
    Thought i'd be romantic and give her indoors a valentines treat this year....so i opted for dozen.....................Wait for it ...............A DOZEN.........................Bottles of bulmers light:D:D:D

2 Six packs it was @ 11.07 each but dozy rosie on the till only scanned 1 pack:eek::eek::eek:

Sweet, but i am missing out on my clubcard points:cool::cool::cool:

So is this a BOGOF? LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    So is this a BOGOF? LOL!
    No, it's human-error.. and theft.

Not judging, but that's what it is.

Can we stick to actual Bargain Alerts please? This thread is verging on lock-down!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Easy way to find out what is going to be the next bargain, from Sunday to Wednesday, sections are re-planned, the stock coming off will be reduced to clear on the SEL. In fresh areas, they may be reduced before the plan was done.

so if you see a section with all the stock off the shelves and new stuff going up, check back there or in the clearance section for reductions. or check online, if your house bound like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Freixenet Cava Vintage Especial 75cl - 50% OFF

Was €20.00 Now €10.00

Picked up a couple of bottles yesterday thought it was lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

grainne02 wrote: »
    Arthurs quay limerick 1euro. No scanner in store bit of a pain have to go customer service each time to check prices.

There is one over by the off licence, but it's been broken since well before Christmas :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

was in tescos clare hall and ashbourne 2day. got 2 of the red oven gloves, price on the tag was 5 euros odd, scanned in at 51c
    In Ashbourne they had the tesco sensitive anti dandruff shampoo for 24c, no price advertised

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but I remember reading that good steak should not be bright pink or red.

I had fish the other day, it was perfectly edible and didn't smell "fishy" at all. Mind you, it was one of these posh packagings which are packed in the factory, not the ones from the counter.

Regarding the meat; I have seen meat in Tescos bargain corner that had a brown suspicious lump inside it. It looks like some part of the meat has decided to go off before the rest of it. That's the dodgy meat I'm referring to.. when it looks too dark almost with a green tinge. Sometimes it's like a wave where whatever bacteria which makes these changes in the meat hasnt made it's way through all the way but you can see it has begun. The best bargain corner meat is when it looks identical to the stuff which hasnt passed it's best before or use by date.

Back on the specific topic I have seen the 100G mint crisps for 36 or was it 39 cent in Tesco on Baggot Street and in Tesco in Thomas Street. Thomas Street still has a dozen left. Baggot Street was out of stock today. Personally I'm overbought in the choc department as it will take me 2 years to eat through the hundred Golden Crisps I have already stockpiled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Clare Hall store:

Tiffin 100g bars still 39c
    Toblerone Tobelle 160g 1.39€

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

daytob wrote: »
    was in tescos clare hall and ashbourne 2day. got 2 of the red oven gloves, price on the tag was 5 euros odd, scanned in at 51c
    In Ashbourne they had the tesco sensitive anti dandruff shampoo for 24c, no price advertised

What do these gloves look like? Any pics or links....Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Clare Hall store:

Tiffin 100g bars still 39c
    Toblerone Tobelle 160g 1.39€

They have 400g Toblerone for 2 something also. I would have bought it normally, but when you can get 100g or 220g of cadburys for 39c and 66c respectively, why would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭siber

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    What do these gloves look like? Any pics or links....Cheers
    Here is a picture of the oven glove. Sorry it's small.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3kKaikfAxQh5f3sR1olnmwZyB9SF_8smw4mfWikYe6BfFLFcaxw

Below is the blue and white version - it's easier to see what you are actually looking for - in red and white.
    Note - only the red and white version is reduced:
    AW11212-4825TPS1163630.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

HP 16GB memory sticks for €7.99, the 8GB sticks are €24.99 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

ShaneU wrote: »
    HP 16GB memory sticks for €7.99, the 8GB sticks are €24.99 :pac:

Can you give the branch as these are becoming a rare find

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

davehey79 wrote: »
    Can you give the branch as these are becoming a rare find
    Got on in Sligo at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Percol coffee 100gm jars selling for 1.86 at the moment, checked this couple of weeks ago and it was near 5 eur

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

tweety76 wrote: »
    Percol coffee 100gm jars selling for 1.86 at the moment, checked this couple of weeks ago and it was near 5 eur

Have tried that coffee cos the jar is so nice but the coffee isn't that good! Carte Noir 200g now €7 in Tesco and that's pretty good coffee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭jacool

et101 wrote: »
    Have tried that coffee cos the jar is so nice but the coffee isn't that good! Carte Noir 200g now €7 in Tesco and that's pretty good coffee :)
    If it had been "damn fine coffee", I would have been interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dolihalix

jacool wrote: »

it is a damn fine coffee! 7 quid isn't all that great, tesco had it on special for 5.85 or something for few weeks, Dunnes sometimes have it on special for fiver(200g) wait until it's on special again and stock up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

jacool wrote: »

OK OK let's just say it's damn fine coffee Java king (wow soooo pedantic!!) ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement