Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Tesco Bargains [No Off-Topic Chat - See Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

A fiver (!) for 12 bts of Becks vier 275ml. Dated till this summer. Cant go wrong with that even if its not the best tasting it sure isn't the worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mint Crisp will be at 39c till 14/02 according to the SEL today. Golden Crisp still 66c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Kajor wrote: »
    HAAHHAAAAhahahaaaa!!!! Salmonella Corner...that's class, I wonder who called it that.

It's quite accurate too, there you will find cooked meat thrown in with raw meat, thrown in with dairy, fish and desserts....and to top it all off people are on the verge of killing one another for 3 lb of processed corned beef, due to go off in 12 hours.

Or buying 10 packets of strawberrys due to go off in 12 hours, how in the name of god will you eat all 10 packets..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭brian_t

msg11 wrote: »
    Or buying 10 packets of strawberrys due to go off in 12 hours, how in the name of god will you eat all 10 packets..

Jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

brian_t wrote: »
    Jam.

Perfectly good jam of jar in the home baking aisle more than likly cheaper than 10 packets of strawberrys ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭brian_t

Perfectly good jam of jar in the home baking aisle more than likly cheaper than 10 packets of strawberrys ..

Shop jam can't compete with home-made jam. It is recommended to use fresh fruit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

Smoothies

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

snubbleste wrote: »
    Mint Crisp will be at 39c till 14/02 according to the SEL today. Golden Crisp still 66c.

Wish I ate mint crisps!

I'm gonna be all over those golden crisps again. They are superb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Soarer wrote: »
    Wish I ate mint crisps!

I'm gonna be all over those golden crisps again. They are superb!
    I picked up four in the lower baggot street branch today, but there were about three boxes of them on the shelf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

Tesco Roxboro Limerick had these http://tastebudtravels.blogspot.com/2011/03/douwe-egberts-aromettes.html today for 99c reduced from 4.99 (slightly out of date though, bb date beginning of January 2012).

Magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Saon wrote: »
    Love the dancin men.....

These?????
    emot-slick.gifemot-slick.gifemot-slick.gif
    emot-slick.gifemot-slick.gifemot-slick.gifemot-slick.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Or buying 10 packets of strawberrys due to go off in 12 hours, how in the name of god will you eat all 10 packets..[/QUOTe

the fresh meat is usually in date on the packet but doesnt look good

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

The meat in tescos is extremely overpriced. Even when it crawls into the CFC or Salmonella Corner as you call it.

Do some price comparisons with your local proper butcher and you will see. I say proper butcher as opposed to some of these new type of butcher that seem to be around, that appear to me to be the same as a supermarket butcher or meat counter.

I'm talking about real men with blood on their coats, wielding meat cleavers, and flirting with O.A.P's. They are the guys that know what being a butcher is all about.

I can't beat the €6.80kg for chicken breast that i bought during the week. ANYWHERE. He will also dice it, or slice into stir fry strips, or into separate bags for easy freezing for no extra cost.

Sorry for rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I went to salmonella corner in my local Dunnes a few weeks ago and there was a packet of green steak for sale. It sort of turned me off the whole 'reduced to clear' meat thing.

Tesco's salmonella corner is better though, especially the bakery stuff in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 43,821 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

24 cans of Miller is 20 euros which is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I picked up a few or 6 packs of xxxmints reduced to 42c in Nutgrove on Friday, thanks for the tip boardsies.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Bought meself 45 bottles of original Becks (3x15x275mls @ 5%) for 22 euro (48c a bottle). Buckets of stock in Dundalk too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

phasers wrote: »
    I went to salmonella corner in my local Dunnes a few weeks ago and there was a packet of green steak for sale. It sort of turned me off the whole 'reduced to clear' meat thing.

Tesco's salmonella corner is better though, especially the bakery stuff in the evenings

You have to hit Tesco's at just the right time though. The stuff that's reduced is initially not a great deal - maybe 20-25% off. Then about 7 or 8 it gets seriously marked down for a second time - to maybe 10% of the original price.
    The beef I have no problem with - decently aged meat is not bright red anyway - and the odd time you can spot fillet or that yummy Angus beef - well that's the only way I can afford it. The chicken I avoid - that stuff seems off even before 'best by' dates.

As for the bread - the tasty but expensive La Brea loaves are superb (olive oil and herb..mmmmm) when marked down to 10c or 20c!

The serious markdowns only happen in certain stores - Mahon Point does it a lot (though you have to be quick to outflank the Romanian women in the long skirts!). Some stores (Youghal for instance) never seem to have decent reductions.

Dunnes rarely marks stuff down to clearance price - when I worked there it really annoyed me to see the amount of meat and bread that was black-bagged and dumped every night - when I suggested that at least they should offer it for free to some organisation I was told it was policy not to - that they had been sued before for some reason. I do cruise by when I reckon they will be unloading their yummy Cuisine de France jam doughnuts at 50c or less for 6 - they freeze well and 10/20 seconds in the microwave has them just right!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

For those with babies, they have tommee tipee drinking cups for €1.06, one for age 4m+ and one for 12m+. These are usually about €6. I bought 2 in phibsborough on Wednesday but seen them today in the tallaght store.

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/easy_drink_cup/

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/tip_it_up_sportster_12m__/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭crushproof

dowtchaboy wrote: »

Dunnes rarely marks stuff down to clearance price - when I worked there it really annoyed me to see the amount of meat and bread that was black-bagged and dumped every night - when I suggested that at least they should offer it for free to some organisation I was told it was policy not to - that they had been sued before for some reason.

Yeah it's so bloody annoying, Dunnes just throw out everything, like a lot of places. Good old health and safety, a lot of places have been sued by people for food poisining etc. after being given it for free by charity organisations and homeless shelters and what not. Grrrr! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Afaik McDonalds do, or did, the same each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Then about 7 or 8 it gets seriously marked down for a second time - to maybe 10% of the original price.

This is what I found in my local store. Some bargains to be gotten if no one else is around blocking up the place. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ILoveBargains

For those with babies, they have tommee tipee drinking cups for €1.06, one for age 4m+ and one for 12m+. These are usually about €6. I bought 2 in phibsborough on Wednesday but seen them today in the tallaght store.

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/easy_drink_cup/

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/tip_it_up_sportster_12m__/

Stillorgan have
    http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/tip_it_up_flip_top_18m_blue/

and
    http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/tip_it_up_cup_6m__/

on offer for the same price

Thanks for the tip!!

does anyone know where the food bargin area is in carlow? i was in there today and couldnt find it. found xmas and household items but that was it.

is the extra store in naas any good? thinking of heading up for a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Basq wrote: »

The bag sizes also seem to be getting reduced too. it says good to share on it but they don't share much with the customer. Most of the bag seems to be composed of air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I know about the double the difference policy, but does anyone know about OTHER policy's.
    As posted earlier, we are being watched so PM's might be the way to go.
    Over heard staff member talking to another about yellow stickers and stock not on shelf's and if you knew about policy (something to do with quantity) could be adventageous.

Don't want to say too much but heard that a F'er does this all the time, I know a bit more but not saying for now.

Share please through PM's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

phasers wrote: »

The thing is that if you see something is obviously gone off, you don't have to buy it. I buy a lot of my meat in the reduced to clear section due to serious lack of funds and have never had any problems. You just need to use your discretion ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement