Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

tom23 wrote: »
    Was wishy washy a woman? You ask a lot of naive questions horse burger, like who in their right mind is going to ask another commuter would you mind not using this bus because I am unhappy that transport policy from the authority does not take into account that it is not acceptable to be spending 1.5 hours travelling 30 kilometres.

Regardless bus eireann should not be offering that service from blanch to clonee because bus eireann is a regional bus service therefore it should act like one, if the Nta want a joined up public transport network they need better solutions than simply adding mileage in to bus routes.

What question was naïve?

Commuter109 mentioned that apart from people using it between Blanchardstown and Clonee, that people got on in Clonee, on the bus coming from Dublin.

My question was - considering that passengers got on the bus in Clonee and that they would have been going to either Dunshaughlin or Navan, or if not either town, one of the stops on the route - if the 109 bus stopped serving Clonee, what other form of regular public transport could they take from Clonee to these stops or to Dunshaughlin or Navan?

Is that a naïve question?

Is it naïve to suggest to anyone unhappy with that 109 service operating to and from Dunshaughlin and Clonee, that they should enquire about alternatives, to Dublin Bus - the company they are saying should serve those towns?

And then find out if Dublin Bus are willing to run more frequent services to and from those locations?

Is it naïve to ask of people who want to go direct from Navan town centre to Dublin and avoid Dunshaughlin, what service would they put in place for passengers on the various stops between Navan and Dunshaughlin and from Dunshaughlin to Dublin?

Perhaps you could try and answer these, rather than making a stupid comment, like the one you did in the first five words of your reply?

I also pointed out, with reference to the comment made about passengers reasons for going to Clonee, that if the service is there, passengers reasons to use any bus service is of no relevance to any other passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

About 20 couldn't get on in kells for the 08.45... I wouldn't mind normally but people just don't give a sh** about who got there first...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

Easily 40 waiting in navan now ....... this will be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

lxflyer wrote: »
    I suspect at the end of the day, that the amount of money available is dictating what can and cannot be operated in terms of subsidised services.

The NTA has a shrinking pot of funds available to pay for these services with PSO subsidies dropping year upon year, and while I understand the frustrations of Navan users, the NTA also have an obligation to provide a service to everyone else along the N3 corridor too.

That ultimately is why we have the situation that we do.

Sounds like fun in Kells and Navan this Morning!

LX flyer - I'm not disagreeing with what you say , the point been repeatedly made here is that all not all centres of population have the same requirements. The running of probably in excess of 40 buses a day via sheaf of wheat is criminal, as is the underutilisation of the infrastructure that is in place. BE told me in writing in 2011 that they had researched that stop and were of the opinion that 4 services would be adequate/ justified.

Horseburger, where do I start, you have probably noticed that as a rule I don't respond to your posts for reasons probably obvious to most, but given that the day that's in it why not!

Re your latest post, I pointed out what I perceived to be wrong with the r109 route and you directly equate this to being criticising people and their reasons for using the bus? Seriously

That said you have had some very useful insights to date,

"I know that every so often a bus due may not arrive in Navan at the time scheduled, but I found that there were other factors that caused this, like an accident or other traffic delays"

"What often occurs is that as a bus pulls out of the gate area, once it closes its doors and starts moving, a passenger may come out to the bus just as it is leaving"

"I guess the reason that the bus sometimes arrives at the final destination later than stated on the timetable is because of the traffic that is encountered going to and from Dublin city centre"
    And some cracking insightful questions into the barging, my personal favourite has to be
    "Do you know if the heavy traffic going out through Phibsboro and Cabra in the early evenings could be dealt with in any way. It wouldn't be so bad going that route and wouldn't take anywhere near as long".
    I could go on but I wouldn't. At least most people here will specify their reason for participating, i.e. we have Navan or kells commuters travelling at peak times, we have people who have actually drive for BE etc..
    I'm not sure if you live in Sheaf of Wheat or work for BE or what the agenda is. Have you used a 109 or do you just read timetables? Why not let us know what your interaction with this service is?
    You also oddly have apparently huge faith in the customer service departments of NTA and BE, which is odd as nobody else on this thread or baord in general appear to have. Maybe as opposed to constant repeating the mantra of Did you ask BE, Did you ask Dublin Bus, did you ask NTA, Did you ask the driver, what response did you get?, you might act as a conduit for us, as in your own words there are people that are too aggressive for the big bad state entity, and maybe thats why they wouldnt respond. I think you might have the magic touch.
    Anyway you're unlikely to hear from me again, so take care!

Sounds like fun in Kells and Navan this Morning!

LX flyer - I'm not disagreeing with what you say , the point been repeatedly made here is that all not all centres of population have the same requirements. The running of probably in excess of 40 buses a day via sheaf of wheat is criminal, as is the underutilisation of the infrastructure that is in place. BE told me in writing in 2011 that they had researched that stop and were of the opinion that 4 services would be adequate/ justified.

Horseburger, where do I start, you have probably noticed that as a rule I don't respond to your posts for reasons probably obvious to most, but given that the day that's in it why not!

Re your latest post, I pointed out what I perceived to be wrong with the r109 route and you directly equate this to being criticising people and their reasons for using the bus? Seriously

That said you have had some very useful insights to date,

"I know that every so often a bus due may not arrive in Navan at the time scheduled, but I found that there were other factors that caused this, like an accident or other traffic delays"

"What often occurs is that as a bus pulls out of the gate area, once it closes its doors and starts moving, a passenger may come out to the bus just as it is leaving"

"I guess the reason that the bus sometimes arrives at the final destination later than stated on the timetable is because of the traffic that is encountered going to and from Dublin city centre"
    And some cracking insightful questions into the barging, my personal favourite has to be
    "Do you know if the heavy traffic going out through Phibsboro and Cabra in the early evenings could be dealt with in any way. It wouldn't be so bad going that route and wouldn't take anywhere near as long".
    I could go on but I wouldn't. At least most people here will specify their reason for participating, i.e. we have Navan or kells commuters travelling at peak times, we have people who have actually drive for BE etc..
    I'm not sure if you live in Sheaf of Wheat or work for BE or what the agenda is. Have you used a 109 or do you just read timetables? Why not let us know what your interaction with this service is?
    You also oddly have apparently huge faith in the customer service departments of NTA and BE, which is odd as nobody else on this thread or baord in general appear to have. Maybe as opposed to constant repeating the mantra of Did you ask BE, Did you ask Dublin Bus, did you ask NTA, Did you ask the driver, what response did you get?, you might act as a conduit for us, as in your own words there are people that are too aggressive for the big bad state entity, and maybe thats why they wouldnt respond. I think you might have the magic touch.
    Anyway you're unlikely to hear from me again, so take care!

Lots of assumptions there, Commuter109, just like the one you made before, about anyone getting the buses later on at night being in town just to go "boozing".

But that doesn't surprise me, since you have criticised other passengers' reasons for using buses, as if those reasons were relevant.

Why else would you mention the business to which they were going when they got off in Clonee, other than to be negative about their reasons to use the service?

Obviously, the reason I mentioned dealing with the heavy traffic heading out towards Phibsborough, is because if that could be sorted, there'd be less of a delay on the buses at that time of day.

I mentioned the possibility that Bus Éireann might reason, that they get enough people using the stops out towards Phibsborough throughout the whole day and evening, to and from Dublin, to merit using those stops.

I also gave the example of how there are no delays going out the same route later on in the day.

I mentioned that example of the bus pulling out of the gate at Bus Aras, with the passenger nearby, and despite the driver seeing a passenger, them not being permitted on, because that happened to me. It was explained to me by an inspector that once the doors are closed on the bus, and the bus has started to reverse as it is leaving, that the drivers, due to a health and safety rule, are instructed not to let passengers board the bus.

I mentioned this example in reply to a passenger who had detailed before Christmas that one evening they had hailed the bus down outside the bus station after it left the gate and came round to the main entrance side, where the driver did not let them board the bus.

I mentioned what the inspector told me, as a possible reason for what happened.

But then you conveniently decided to omit, in your reply, the context of what I had written, including the follow on sentences I had included, which explained what I was writing about.

I also mentioned the timetable scheduling, with regard to traffic, because the buses are able to stick to the listed times at night when there is no heavy traffic.

The 109 at 11.30pm gets into Navan at 12.35am, which is the time stated on the timetable. I also gave the examples of the 109A service being very punctual to and from the airport.

I mentioned the traffic and possible accidents in relation to the times the buses arrive in Navan, to differentiate between the buses that leave Cavan, and those that start in Kells.

I find that the buses that leave Cavan on the hour are generally in Navan about 10 past or 15 past the following hour, due, I guess, to traffic.

They sometimes are in Navan at 5 past the hour as scheduled, but generally its about 10 past, with the 190 Drogheda service due at 10 past the hour pulling in around the same time, but that the buses that start in Kells at 15 past the hour are in Navan shortly before 35 past the hour, which is as listed on the timetable.

You are pretty good at repeating stuff yourself.

You are the one constantly complaining about the intermediate stops.

Why haven't you looked into contacting Dublin Bus to see if they will serve those stops?

You made the comment about Dublin Bus serving Dunshaughlin, without detailing if it would be viable, instead saying Dunshaughlin should have a service like the Clonee Dublin Bus route which is a lot less frequent.

How else would you improve a service other than discussing it with its operators?

What purpose is served whinging on this message board, if you are unwilling to make any enquiries about this stuff?

How can you request of Bus Éireann to implement more 109 express services, without considering alternatives for the intermediate stops covered on the route?

You still haven't answered my question about what service would be put in place for stops in between Navan and Dunshaughlin, and also to and from Clonee if both places were avoided on the 109.

You obviously have a disregard for people who use the buses at times later on in the day. I made the point before, that Bus Éireann wouldn't run the buses throughout the whole day and evening, if they weren't contributing to the sustainability of the service.

With regard to your criticism of my suggestion of contacting Dublin Bus or Bus Éireann, you have decided to conveniently ignore that I have also done so, to acknowledge where other posters here have written constructive suggestions for the route, for example the various detailed suggestions by foggy_lad, Irish Steve and Aleksmart recently.

Also, you shouldn't be concerned with other people's opinions on my replies, and shouldn't assume that everyone else agrees with everything you say, in your attempts to undermine what I have written.

Your brand of smart arsed-ness is the type of thing, of which I was speaking, when I made the comment about Bus Éireann possibly not being responsive to people constantly criticising them, without considering why they operate routes in specific ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

.... I also gave the examples of the 109A service being very punctual to and from the airport.....

This service is very punctual to and from the airport after around 8 pm at night but it is one of the worst services I have ever encountered during the day time, routinely being up to 40 minutes late. This is, as you say, due to there being heavier traffic during the day.

However, "heavy traffic" is a terrible, terrible excuse for such a consistently late bus service. This "heavy traffic" is not an occasional one-off, it affects this bus for five days every week during the exact same times yet Bus Eireann's timetables do not reflect any difference in journey times between getting the bus from Kells at 3.50 am and the peak time of 6.50 am. How is this possible?

This service is very punctual to and from the airport after around 8 pm at night but it is one of the worst services I have ever encountered during the day time, routinely being up to 40 minutes late. This is, as you say, due to there being heavier traffic during the day.

However, "heavy traffic" is a terrible, terrible excuse for such a consistently late bus service. This "heavy traffic" is not an occasional one-off, it affects this bus for five days every week during the exact same times yet Bus Eireann's timetables do not reflect any difference in journey times between getting the bus from Kells at 3.50 am and the peak time of 6.50 am. How is this possible?

Anytime I have taken the 109A at different times of the day, its taken about an hour to get from Navan, through Dunshaughlin, Ratoath, Ashbourne and to the airport. This includes times I got the 7.10am, 3.10pm at 6.10pm from Navan, and the 5.20am from the airport back to Navan.

I had expected getting the 7.10am from Navan would be delayed but it got to the airport shortly before 8.15am.

I know the traffic is a problem on the 109 route through Phibsborough around 4pm-6pm, I wasn't trying to make excuses for it.

My guess is they schedule the list of stops on their timetables to reflect how their buses run without any traffic congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Anytime I have taken the 109A at different times of the day, its taken about an hour to get from Navan, through Dunshaughlin, Ratoath, Ashbourne and to the airport. This includes times I got the 7.10am, 3.10pm at 6.10pm from Navan, and the 5.20am from the airport back to Navan.

I had expected getting the 7.10am from Navan would be delayed but it got to the airport shortly before 8.15am.

I know the traffic is a problem on the 109 route through Phibsborough around 4pm-6pm, I wasn't trying to make excuses for it.

My guess is they schedule the list of stops on their timetables to reflect how their buses run without any traffic congestion.

Well either you were very lucky or I spent a year of my life being very unlucky.

Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus (I think) do schedule their buses based on off peak travel times, which is very irritating indeed, particularly for routes that are nearly guaranteed to hit traffic congestion at peak times. Apologies though, I got the impression you were trying to defend the 109's punctuality by citing unexpected heavy traffic as a valid excuse.

Well either you were very lucky or I spent a year of my life being very unlucky.

Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus (I think) do schedule their buses based on off peak travel times, which is very irritating indeed, particularly for routes that are nearly guaranteed to hit traffic congestion at peak times. Apologies though, I got the impression you were trying to defend the 109's punctuality by citing unexpected heavy traffic as a valid excuse.

I'm not sure they'd have any other way of listing the times for scheduled services, because if they scheduled them according to traffic, if there are differences in the strength of the congestion on different days, it'd be very hard for passengers to predict when a bus is due.

An example of this, with Dublin Bus, is the congestion down Wexford St, Aungier St and George's St, on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, when it's full of taxis going down towards Westmoreland St.

The times of the buses on the timetables at the Dublin Bus stops, as far as I know, are the times that the buses leave the terminus.

The real time displays are very useful in this regard, for example with the Dublin Bus services. When the 109 comes into Phibsborough and Berkeley Road, into O'Connell St, it can be read from the bus as it goes by the various Dublin Bus stops, when for example the 122s, 140s, 46As, 16s and 9s are due.

Have the delays you have encountered, occurred after the 109A leaves the airport in the mornings heading down towards Collins Avenue and on to Ashbourne?

What I have noticed with delays going to the airport during the day, is that it's usually when the buses come from city centre. For example, the hourly Belfast buses leaving Bus Aras, due at the airport at 20 past the hour, can take over 20 minutes to get there, whereas at night it gets there within 20 minutes, as do the Donegal number 30 Bus that leaves Bus Aras at midnight and the Dundalk 100X bus that leaves Customs House Quay at midnight, both usually getting to the airport before 20 past midnight.

With regard to the traffic congestion, some people here are suggesting that Bus Éireann avoid the various stops that the 109 makes out roads with this traffic at those times, but in order to argue their case, they need to also suggest, if such a change in the service was made, what other service - other than suggesting people make their way into the city centre which is an impractical suggestion for anyone in Blanchardstown who are going to Dunshaughlin, Navan, Kells or Cavan on the 109 - would be put in place for people, who use those stops between Bus Aras and Blanchardstown.

On that issue, of possible alternatives, there have been positive suggestions from posters here for example in recent posts by foggy_lad, Irish Steve and Aleksmart, which I think would be worthwhile to send in to the two bus companies and the NTA.

Lol it happened again. Way too many people waiting for the 08.45. Of course people just jumped in the queue but this time there was an inspector waiting. The sheer look of disgust on peoples faces when he told them to get out of the queue because there were people waiting far longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

haro124 wrote: »
    Lol it happened again. Way too many people waiting for the 08.45. Of course people just jumped in the queue but this time there was an inspector waiting. The sheer look of disgust on peoples faces when he told them to get out of the queue because there were people waiting far longer!

For the second week running the 6.20 from Navan broke down and couldn't be restarted, I was on it last week when it broke down just at the start of the slip road at M50 N3 roundabout and all the passengers had to take the next bus with a substantial amount standing which is not safe but it was a case of stand on the motorway or bus.

This morning I missed the 6.20 but got the 6.35 and we pulled in behind the 6.20 which had broken down on the overpass at Skryne, we took all the passengers on board, could only take about half the waiting people at Dunshaughlin. This would have a knock-on affect for all the later services.

It’s becoming regular with this particular bus too, I have been on it at least two other times when it cut out both stopped and while driving on the motorway, probably needs a complete engine overhaul.

It does make we wonder if Bus Eireann have become complacent again with their maintenance and repairs and have not learnt the lesson from the Kentsown crash, I regularly take a look at the dashboards when boarding and its very common to see warning lights on for various issues.

Furp wrote: »
    For the second week running the 6.20 from Navan broke down and couldn't be restarted, I was on it last week when it broke down just at the start of the slip road at M50 N3 roundabout and all the passengers had to take the next bus with a substantial amount standing which is not safe but it was a case of stand on the motorway or bus.

This morning I missed the 6.20 but got the 6.35 and we pulled in behind the 6.20 which had broken down on the overpass at Skryne, we took all the passengers on board, could only take about half the waiting people at Dunshaughlin. This would have a knock-on affect for all the later services.

It’s becoming regular with this particular bus too, I have been on it at least two other times when it cut out both stopped and while driving on the motorway, probably needs a complete engine overhaul.

It does make we wonder if Bus Eireann have become complacent again with their maintenance and repairs and have not learnt the lesson from the Kentsown crash, I regularly take a look at the dashboards when boarding and its very common to see warning lights on for various issues.

Trim Bus was broken down on Ludlow Street yesterday morning, and the 6.30 last Friday barely made it home with several warning lights on the dashboard. It was actually dangerous, I didn't think we were going to get through the port tunnel. We crawled down the motorway at 80kph for most of the journey. Driver was on the mobile saying that in essence that the bus was crocked, but on the premise that he drove to Navan, obviously the instructions were to keep on going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got the 8pm bus from Cavan to Dublin on Sunday night. Bus broke down at Blanch (was letting 3 people off and the luggage door would not open). 20 minutes later a Dublin Bus pulled up and we got on that. Anybody who was waiting for their bag had to stay on the bus though. Not sure when it got moving again.

gazzer wrote: »
    I got the 8pm bus from Cavan to Dublin on Sunday night. Bus broke down at Blanch (was letting 3 people off and the luggage door would not open). 20 minutes later a Dublin Bus pulled up and we got on that. Anybody who was waiting for their bag had to stay on the bus though. Not sure when it got moving again.

Was the Dublin Bus, a number 39, or 39A?

Was the Dublin Bus, a number 39, or 39A?

No it was just a bus that pulled up. The driver on the 109 must have rang in for it. There was no number on it. It was to bring passengers into town. Well those passengers that did not have bags in the baggage area anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This kind of thing can also happen because there is a free for all in the depots in the mornings with early drivers getting to choose whichever bus they want. If drivers in Cavan take single deck buses instead of the more usual double deck coaches then the capacity will drop significantly during the mornings busiest time. The same thing happens sometimes with the 120. Drivers need to be allocated buses in the morning rather than be able to chose their favourite over one they feel is harder to drive.

Furp wrote: »

Never mind not being safe, it is illegal to have standees on these coaches. Bus eireann are breaking the law and if a bus breaks down on the motorway the emergency services should be contacted and if bus eireann don't or won't provide a replacement bus to transfer people onto then the Guards will get one and charge it to bus eireann! There can be no ambiguity or quessung is it or we can squeeze a few more on, carrying more than the rated number of passengers is an offence!

I would suggest that if anyone finds themselves on a broke down bus eireann bus again they call the guards rather than rely on the bus driver who will only contact managers and inspectors who may instruct him to break the law and let them manage the rescue of passengers off the motorway or dual carriageway.

Came extra early for the half five bus to Cavan. Bus broke down somewhere between Wilton terrace and busaras. Ended up just getting on the 17.45

Came extra early for the half five bus to Cavan. Bus broke down somewhere between Wilton terrace and busaras. Ended up just getting on the 17.45

Could you have gotten the 30 to Cavan. There is one at that time. Or was it full up?

Could you have gotten the 30 to Cavan. There is one at that time. Or was it full up?

I think haro124 may have been going to Navan or Kells - the last stop on the 17.45 109 is Kells.

Two services on the number 30 Donegal Bus route, go through Navan and Kells every night.

(The first stop, coming from Bus Aras, after the airport, on all its other services, is Virginia).

One leaves at midnight from Bus Aras, which gets into Navan around 1am-1.05am and Kells 1.15am-1.20am.

It is usually 12.58am when it passes by the Kilcarne Bridge stop, a few minutes after it takes exit 8 off the motorway.

The other service, that covers Navan and Kells, is the one that leaves Donegal Town at 1am for Dublin.

• Advertisement

I think haro124 may have been going to Navan or Kells - the last stop on the 17.45 109 is Kells.

Two services on the number 30 Donegal Bus route, go through Navan and Kells every night; at midnight from Bus Aras, which gets into Navan around 1am-1.05am and Kells 1.15am-1.20am.

It is usually 12.58am when it passes by the Kilcarne Bridge stop, a few minutes after it takes exit 8 off the motorway.

The 1am from Donegal Town also covers Navan and Kells.

Ah I see. I just assumed Cavan when he mentioned that he was going to get the Cavan bus. Never thought about the Kells stop :D

Ah I see. I just assumed Cavan when he mentioned that he was going to get the Cavan bus. Never thought about the Kells stop :D

Ah yes kells. The 30 was gone before they made the announcemnt I think

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

foggy_lad wrote: »
    This kind of thing can also happen because there is a free for all in the depots in the mornings with early drivers getting to choose whichever bus they want. If drivers in Cavan take single deck buses instead of the more usual double deck coaches then the capacity will drop significantly during the mornings busiest time. The same thing happens sometimes with the 120. Drivers need to be allocated buses in the morning rather than be able to chose their favourite over one they feel is harder to drive.

There are just two double deckers based at Cavan garage. These are designated to commence their daily work on the 06.00 and 07.00 departures. There is not a free for all and these are the buses which are used unless a mechanical defect/breakdown prevents them from being used. Once these two double deckers have left there are only single decker coaches remaining and that is a matter outside of the control of driving personnel.

Geog1234 wrote: »
    There are just two double deckers based at Cavan garage. These are designated to commence their daily work on the 06.00 and 07.00 departures. There is not a free for all and these are the buses which are used unless a mechanical defect/breakdown prevents them from being used. Once these two double deckers have left there are only single decker coaches remaining and that is a matter outside of the control of driving personnel.
    is the 6.00 not a private single decker bus?

Geog1234 wrote: »

There should be several of the double deck coaches ready to go in the morning from Cavan. And I was told by a driver that they can choose whichever bus they want when they gets to the depot in the morning, he always gets there a bit early to avoid being left with some yoke that everybody hates.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

I wish they'd put up a 109N on Bank Holiday Sundays.

malene wrote: »
    I wish they'd put up a 109N on Bank Holiday Sundays.

just wondering, have you taken it much, since the night it didn't stop at Blanchardstown slip road.

If so, has it been stopping at the slip road stop, where you got it on the occasions previous to the night that it didn't?

18.00 bus to kells heading to the port tunnel. Is this usual?
    Edit: ended up going on the motorway to dunshaughlin, had to try turn around, couldn't, ended up going out to the industrial estate to turn around

Just got a rant of a text from a mate, he's on a 6.30 to Navan ( express I assume ) which didn't leave the yard until 7.10 whatever is going on.

• Advertisement

Two and a half glorious weeks away from work and BE. First day back. Literally sprinted to bus aras to make 6.30 express , made it at 6.29 fearing bus would be full but it wasn't . Only cos it hasn't showed!! We've been put on the 7 . Joke shop. Should have been in Navan at 7.30. More likely to be 8.20 by the time we do the nonsensical route

Advertisement