Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

ailbheg wrote: »
    This is what has been happening. If they don't have the reader/can't use it, it's not the passenger's fault. I find it hard to believe that there are still buses on these routes that don't have the new readers (and drivers that can't use them). It's almost 6 months since they started use on BÉ.
    Most LDs are being fitted with new tgx machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

micraX wrote: »
    Most LDsare being fitted with new tgx machines.

And there's the problem. Why not all? And why are they still being fitted nearly 6 months after introduction of Leap fares/tickets? Surely that should have been done before introducing Leap if they don't want to end up having to carry passengers for free.

ailbheg wrote: »
    And there's the problem. Why not all? And why are they still being fitted nearly 6 months after introduction of Leap fares/tickets? Surely that should have been done before introducing Leap if they don't want to end up having to carry passengers for free.
    Because they are bags of ****e with ten off the road at anyone time

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

O Connell Street in 45 minutes this morning on the 7.20 express, credit where its due

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭tom23

O Connell Street in 45 minutes this morning on the 7.20 express, credit where its due

Impressive considering the 07:05 left on time and got into Dublin for 08:05. Then again it's a different driver every morning some more familiar with the route than others.

The guy that drives the 07:20 is an excellent driver. They should clone him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Got to Busarus yesterday at 4pm to get the 4.30 109 to Virginia. At 4.15 a private bus pulled in and we were told to get on only if we were going to Virginia or Cavan town. Got on and the bus pulled out at 4.20. Went out by the Port Tunnel and out the M3. Was in Virginia for 5.40. If only this could happen every day commuting would not be as hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

gazzer wrote: »
    Got to Busarus yesterday at 4pm to get the 4.30 109 to Virginia. At 4.15 a private bus pulled in and we were told to get on only if we were going to Virginia or Cavan town. Got on and the bus pulled out at 4.20. Went out by the Port Tunnel and out the M3. Was in Virginia for 5.40. If only this could happen every day commuting would not be as hard.

It could happen everyday,or at least more often Everyday,but only IF the fixation with the little old lady from Dunshaughlin?SheafOW waiting in the rain,above at St Peters Church/Blanchardstown SC can be addressed......;)...Who will think of St Peters Church ????

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It could happen everyday,or at least more often Everyday,but only IF the fixation with the little old lady from Dunshaughlin?SheafOW waiting in the rain,above at St Peters Church/Blanchardstown SC can be addressed......;)...Who will think of St Peters Church ????

In fairness, a lot more people use those stops, for example at Dunshaughlin, and Blanchardstown, than a "little old lady".

I mentioned before, that a private company tried a daily Cavan - Virginia - Dublin service last October, and after four weeks it ended, so it would appear that there wasn't enough people using it.

It indicates that the passengers at Dunshaughlin, (and Kells and Navan) help sustain the 109 service.

If there were more 109 bus services direct to Virginia and Cavan, unless there are extra buses and drivers available, it would mean less buses covering Kells, Navan and Dunshaughlin

The bus referred to above was a private coach, and sounds like it may have been an extra bus, to cater for more people that would be heading home at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

In fairness, a lot more people use those stops, for example at Dunshaughlin, and Blanchardstown, than a "little old lady".

I mentioned before, that a private company tried a daily Cavan - Virginia - Dublin service last October, and after four weeks it ended, so it would appear that there wasn't enough people using it.

It indicates that the passengers at Dunshaughlin, (and Kells and Navan) help sustain the 109 service.

If there were more 109 bus services direct to Virginia and Cavan, unless there are extra buses and drivers available, it would mean less buses covering Kells, Navan and Dunshaughlin

The bus referred to above was a private coach, and sounds like it may have been an extra bus, to cater for more people that would be heading home at the weekend.

One of the main reasons that the private bus company was not sucessful was that they did not except bus passes and also commuters using Bus Eireann would have been using yearly bus passes so they were not going to change tp a private company and spend more money. It doesnt take away fron the fact that it is ridiculous that a bus from Cavan to Dublin takes up to 2 hours 20 minutes to get from A to B. The bus I got yesterday was 80% full so the demand is there.

gazzer wrote: »
    One of the main reasons that the private bus company was not sucessful was that they did not except bus passes and also commuters using Bus Eireann would have been using yearly bus passes so they were not going to change tp a private company and spend more money. It doesnt take away fron the fact that it is ridiculous that a bus from Cavan to Dublin takes up to 2 hours 20 minutes to get from A to B. The bus I got yesterday was 80% full so the demand is there.

Was the bus you got, an extra bus to cater for larger numbers of passengers going home for the weekend?

Would the same number of people be heading back to Virginia and Cavan at 4.15pm on other week day evenings?

The reason I ask, is that there is no listing on the 109 timetable for a bus at 4.15pm from Bus Aras with a first stop at Virginia and then Cavan.

That is why I am thinking that since it was a private coach, that it may have been an extra bus to cater for more passengers heading home on Friday evenings, than you might get earlier in the week, at that time.

The other aspect of the 109 service from Cavan throughout the day is that it isn't just people going to Dublin who use it.

Passengers use it to get back to Navan, for example on the 109 that leaves at 5pm from Cavan, there's usually a good number of people get out when that bus stops in Navan, so I'm guessing its possible that they have come from either Cavan, Virginia or Kells.

If there were to be more 109 buses between Cavan and Dublin only stopping and picking up in Virginia and Cavan, those 109 passengers for Navan and Kells would have a much less frequent service.

I would guess that Kells, Navan and Dunshaughlin are served on the 109s between Dublin and Cavan because the numbers of passengers that use it between each town, and also from each town heading to Dublin, help sustain the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

The extra bus gazzer was talking about only come on a Friday especially during college time to cater for the extra numbers. The standard express bus comes and it's then for keels people onwards

Was the bus you got, an extra bus to cater for larger numbers of passengers going home for the weekend?

Would the same number of people be heading back to Virginia and Cavan at 4.15pm on other week day evenings?

The reason I ask, is that there is no listing on the 109 timetable for a bus at 4.15pm from Bus Aras with a first stop at Virginia and then Cavan.

That is why I am thinking that since it was a private coach, that it may have been an extra bus to cater for more passengers heading home on Friday evenings, than you might get earlier in the week, at that time.

The other aspect of the 109 service from Cavan throughout the day is that it isn't just people going to Dublin who use it.

Passengers use it to get back to Navan, for example on the 109 that leaves at 5pm from Cavan, there's usually a good number of people get out when that bus stops in Navan, so I'm guessing its possible that they have come from either Cavan, Virginia or Kells.

If there were to be more 109 buses between Cavan and Dublin only stopping and picking up in Virginia and Cavan, those 109 passengers for Navan and Kells would have a much less frequent service.

I would guess that Kells, Navan and Dunshaughlin are served on the 109s between Dublin and Cavan because the numbers of passengers that use it between each town, and also from each town heading to Dublin, help sustain the service.

I'd agree there Horseburger,perhaps the Virginia example was'nt best suited.
    However,the need for a restructuring of the 109 to allow for an expansion of the DIRECT EXPRESS option still exists,and is gaining credence every day in this thread alone.

What appears to be frustrating most people is the amount of time the "Authorities" are taking to recognise the bloody-obvious...ie: the gazillions worth of Public Infrastructure known as the DP Tunnel,being studiously avoided EVERY DAY,when it could be utilized to massive effect to attract more customers to the 109 route.

As I said before,the topography of the Navan-Dublin route is no longer as it was in 1945 and the NTA/BE should recognize this asap..One way I feel needs to be investigated is the much greater Expansion/Integration of Dublin Bus's current services along this corridor with Express running 109 Journeys...This should now be seamless through the use of Leapcard....(Mind you I HAVE to emphasize the "Should" ) :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

I'd agree there Horseburger,perhaps the Virginia example was'nt best suited.
    However,the need for a restructuring of the 109 to allow for an expansion of the DIRECT EXPRESS option still exists,and is gaining credence every day in this thread alone.

What appears to be frustrating most people is the amount of time the "Authorities" are taking to recognise the bloody-obvious...ie: the gazillions worth of Public Infrastructure known as the DP Tunnel,being studiously avoided EVERY DAY,when it could be utilized to massive effect to attract more customers to the 109 route.

As I said before,the topography of the Navan-Dublin route is no longer as it was in 1945 and the NTA/BE should recognize this asap..One way I feel needs to be investigated is the much greater Expansion/Integration of Dublin Bus's current services along this corridor with Express running 109 Journeys...This should now be seamless through the use of Leapcard....(Mind you I HAVE to emphasize the "Should" ) :(

Hi AlekSmart, thanks for your reply.

just wondering, what type of service Dublin Bus would run.

How would a combined service between Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus operate. Would you be suggesting in a similar way as suggested recently by Irish Steve, where the 109 would head into the city centre and people for the stops in between Clonee and the city centre could take a Dublin Bus or other Bus Éireann services.

(http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88796573&postcount=616)

How far out of Dublin City are you suggesting Dublin Bus serve?

If Dublin Bus were to start running buses out as far as Dunshaughlin, for example, I couldn't imagine they'd run them as frequently as the 109 buses.

If Bus Éireann and Dublin Bus were to combine a service from Cavan, Navan, Dunshaughlin and Dublin, passengers getting off the 109 bus, to then take a Dublin bus service, would need to be sure that there'd be enough space on the Dublin Buses they intend to take, to accommodate them, or that they wouldn't be waiting too long for another bus. There are 109 buses to Dublin every half hour during the day serving Kells, Navan and Dunshaughlin. How frequent would the Dublin Bus service be, that they'd be getting, when they alight the 109.

Where would passengers heading to Dublin, change services to take the Dublin Bus services. Would there be enough Dublin buses at this stop, to accommodate the number of passengers waiting, that they wouldn't be waiting too long.

When you mention direct services, do you mean more direct services between Navan and Dublin or Virginia and Dublin.

shannon82 who replied above, mentioned that the bus last Friday that went to Virginia, is an extra service on Friday evenings during the college term.

That suggests to me, that there might not be the same volume of passengers heading to Virginia at that time from Dublin, earlier in the week, to merit a daily direct service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Basically have a mini transport hub in Dunsaughlin with an hourly Dublin bus service to and from Dunsaughlin, and then make the 109 non stop between busaras and Dunsaughlin. This will allow for all passengers between the city and Dunsaughlin to get to either busaras or Dunsaughlin for the bus and will cater for people being dropped off en route to the city centre in the mornings.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Basically have a mini transport hub in Dunsaughlin with an hourly Dublin bus service to and from Dunsaughlin, and then make the 109 non stop between busaras and Dunsaughlin. This will allow for all passengers between the city and Dunsaughlin to get to either busaras or Dunsaughlin for the bus and will cater for people being dropped off en route to the city centre in the mornings.

If the bus was hourly, the wait at Dunshaughlin would be far too long for anyone going to places like the Mater Hospital, Phibsboro and Blanchardstown,

There are buses every hour from Cavan to Dublin and buses that leave Kells at 15 minutes past the hour, so there's buses every 30 minutes from Kells, Navan, Dunshaughlin to Dublin.

If a service like you have described, was to operate between Dunshaughlin and Dublin, there would be passengers waiting at Dunshaughlin for places like the Mater Hospital, Phibsborough and Blanchardstown, relying on there being no traffic delays to and from Dublin.

For example, what if anyone for Blanchardtown or Phibsboro were to arrive in Dunshaughlin, from Cavan, Kells or Navan on the 109, minutes after one of the hourly buses they hope to get, has already left and then have to wait almost another hour within which they may see another 109 arrive to let anyone out, who isn't going direct to the city centre.

I can't really see Dublin Bus being much interested in doing a service as far out of Dublin as Dunshaughlin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The sensible place to have the interchange would be the rail station at Pace, and a lot of this could be done with BE on their own, the 105 and 109 cover the same roads, and run to similar times, and don't diverge until the roundabout at the Trim Road/Fairyhouse Road junction.

I still maintain that the 109 should run Busaras to Pace via DPT non stop, with a connection option at Pace, and the 105 then can serve the intermediate stops like the hospital (it doesn't at the moment) and other places, with DB also providing service from Pace. The whole thing needs some joined up thinking, which seems to be sadly lacking at BE, there are times when 3 different buses(103,105 & 109A) go down the Ballybin road from Ashbourne to Ratoath within minutes of each other, which is crazy scheduling, either have a hub in Ashbourne to allow interchange between the 3, or change some of the timings, one bus between these 2 places is more than enough off peak.

Realistically, DB should be operating out to Dunshaughlin, and also covering Ratoath and Ashbourne, with routes to places like Swords, and the Airport, as well as routes that allow cross city travel without having to go into the centre, but the parochialism of both organisations is going to block something sensible like that from happening. If the M50 had been properly built, it would be feasible to have feeder routes that then connect with services on the M50, but that's now not going to be easy at places like Red Cow, because there's no easy way to get off and back on to the M50 without a significant diversion, which would slow things down too much.

I saw a thread about a commute from Clondalkin to Swords that takes a couple of hours each way, that's insane, even a link using the park and ride at Red Cow, with a link then on the M50 to somewhere like the Airport, and on to Swords, has to be faster than going into the centre and out again, especially at peak periods, where the dwell times at stops can be horrendous.

To me, there should be an interchange facility somewhere close to the M50 on all the main routes, which would be served by the long distance services, which would facilitate access (via LEAP) to other (BE or DB) routes without having to deal with the last few miles to Busaras, and the long distance routes should wherever possible use limited stop routes into the city from the M50 onwards. It would need some planning, and that's where the problem starts, there seems to be no coordination between the different service providers, and no higher level state organisation to bang their heads together hard in order to get a sensible structure on to the services.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Realistically, DB should be operating out to Dunshaughlin, and also covering Ratoath and Ashbourne, with routes to places like Swords, and the Airport, as well as routes that allow cross city travel without having to go into the centre, but the parochialism of both organisations is going to block something sensible like that from happening. If the M50 had been properly built, it would be feasible to have feeder routes that then connect with services on the M50, but that's now not going to be easy at places like Red Cow, because there's no easy way to get off and back on to the M50 without a significant diversion, which would slow things down too much.

I saw a thread about a commute from Clondalkin to Swords that takes a couple of hours each way, that's insane, even a link using the park and ride at Red Cow, with a link then on the M50 to somewhere like the Airport, and on to Swords, has to be faster than going into the centre and out again, especially at peak periods, where the dwell times at stops can be horrendous.

To me, there should be an interchange facility somewhere close to the M50 on all the main routes, which would be served by the long distance services, which would facilitate access (via LEAP) to other (BE or DB) routes without having to deal with the last few miles to Busaras, and the long distance routes should wherever possible use limited stop routes into the city from the M50 onwards. It would need some planning, and that's where the problem starts, there seems to be no coordination between the different service providers, and no higher level state organisation to bang their heads together hard in order to get a sensible structure on to the services.

With Dublin Bus having a long established route to Dunboyne (70),the knowledge of a world beyant Blanch is already there.

Extending/modifying the BAC70 would be a good starting point,but the key is in this Coordination thing.....

Leapcard already has the long awaited Multi-Operator Capping in place,and the Multi-Journey Discounting is......"Imminent"...so what the fluích is keeping them ???

The interaction between BAC/BE would not present any great issues once the Direction had been given,however,by far and away the greatest impediment lies with the NTA actually taking on the mantle of the "Higher Level State Organization" referred to by Irish Steve.

It will,of course,require ADDED resources,which appears to be a major issue for the NTA,as it entails effectively supporting the "Market Dominance" of the existing CIE Operators.

When faced with a choice in this matter,the NTA appear to favour the traditional Irish Administrative approach of doing nothing ?

For example,the newly announced BAC Tender competition for up to 200 new vehicles in 2015 appears to be for REPLACEMENT rather than augmentation purposes.

http://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=74725&B=&PS=1&PP=

Bearing in mind that the Kells M3 corridor is the ONLY Dublin Commuter route which is at "Saturation Level",ie: where anybody who possess a driving licence actually HAS regular access to a Motor Vehhicle,this alone should have allowed a massive Red Flag to be planted on the Fairgreen !

There is/should also be considerable scope for inventive forward thinking planning available via the "Swiftway" BRT project,which with a little creativity could well bring some relief to the Navan Corridor.

It's far from being rocket science,as many posters here will freely praise the "Express Service" scenario,particularly operating via the DPT...this means that a very large element to solving this problem IS already in existence and operating successfully.....albeit well concealed from the hordes of the great 109 unwashed who can't make that 1730 Busaras deadline !!! :rolleyes:

Our national administration technique is to Simplify the Complex and Complicate the Simple.....The 109 is a shining example of this in operation !

If the M50 had been properly built, it would be feasible to have feeder routes that then connect with services on the M50, but that's now not going to be easy at places like Red Cow, because there's no easy way to get off and back on to the M50 without a significant diversion, which would slow things down too much.

To me, there should be an interchange facility somewhere close to the M50 on all the main routes, which would be served by the long distance services, which would facilitate access (via LEAP) to other (BE or DB) routes without having to deal with the last few miles to Busaras, and the long distance routes should wherever possible use limited stop routes into the city from the M50 onwards...

The entire M50 question,is worthy of a Megathread in itself.

It is now more than apparent that some serious Planning,Development and Construction shennanigans went on with this project.

It is equally clear that we (The People) have been well and truly stiffed by the people responsible.

The only official view now taken of the M50 is from the perspective of WHEN can we stitch them up further with more Tolls....that's the reality.

There is little doubt in my mind that the M50/Westlink project encompassed some of the very worst elements of dubious practices EVER seen in Ireland,most of which remain buried,awaiting the passing of the luminaries involved,but I've equally little doubt that The Truth will out.......eventually ;)

The sensible place to have the interchange would be the rail station at Pace, and a lot of this could be done with BE on their own, the 105 and 109 cover the same roads, and run to similar times, and don't diverge until the roundabout at the Trim Road/Fairyhouse Road junction.

I still maintain that the 109 should run Busaras to Pace via DPT non stop, with a connection option at Pace, and the 105 then can serve the intermediate stops like the hospital (it doesn't at the moment) and other places, with DB also providing service from Pace. The whole thing needs some joined up thinking, which seems to be sadly lacking at BE, there are times when 3 different buses(103,105 & 109A) go down the Ballybin road from Ashbourne to Ratoath within minutes of each other, which is crazy scheduling, either have a hub in Ashbourne to allow interchange between the 3, or change some of the timings, one bus between these 2 places is more than enough off peak.

Edit: Do you mean that the 109A and 105 run the same roads, (just wondering if you meant the 109A, as the 109 doesn't cover Ashbourne or Ratoath)

have you sent in your suggestions to Bus Éireann and the NTA, what has been the response

I would say the they would be receptive to your ideas for the routes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Edit: Do you mean that the 109A and 105 run the same roads, (just wondering if you meant the 109A, as the 109 doesn't cover Ashbourne or Ratoath)

have you sent in your suggestions to Bus Éireann and the NTA, what has been the response

I would say the they would be receptive to your ideas for the routes.

The 109 And 105 operate over exactly the same route from town to the point where the Ratoath road splits at Fairyhouse, and that split happens just after the suggested interchange point at Pace. I have never understood why the 2 routeszzzz are so similar, given that the 109 goes so much further out than the 105. The whole concept of using Pace as an interchange seems to be being ignored, to the detriment of the travellers on BE routes that are genuine long distance routes.

I'd like to see DB running out to Dunshaughlin, Ratoath and Ashbourne to bring some variations on the routes available, at present, the choices are pretty much that if you want to go anywhere other than the centre of Dublin, there's no option other than driving, as the transfer times are so long. DB come as far as Rolestown (41B I think), and Hollystown, so it's not exactly a big stretch to extend some of those routes to places like Ashbourne, Ratoath and Dunshaughlin. It would make a lot of sense to be able to get to places like Swords, North West Business park, Citywest, and Sandyford without having to go in to Busaras, or the city centre, or even some of the Northside hospitals like Beaumont.

DB already go further out in other directions, like Maynooth, Balbriggan, and Blessington, so there's no reason to not have them serving the commuter belt towns, with a wider route choice than is available with BE.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Dublin bus have been after the Ashbourne and Naas routh for awhile. BE's VWD's and DD's cover Ashbourne so maybe they could do Dunshocklen (however it's spelt) aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

micraX wrote: »
    Dublin bus have been after the Ashbourne and Naas routh for awhile. BE's VWD's and DD's cover Ashbourne so maybe they could do Dunshocklen (however it's spelt) aswell?

Have had a woeful few days of it with our friends in BE,

Bus last Friday that arrived late, broke down and all in all took nearly 2 hours to get to Navan.

A 4.15 with a timetabled time of 1 hour and 5 to Navan, reality being in excess of an hour an half, and full of examples of all that is wrong with the 109 route at present, including people getting on at the Blanch slip road to head to Lidl in Clonee, and people getting on in Clonee itself.

Then the old sneaky 6.52 bus today, i.e although they have a 6.45 and 7 .00 service as per timetable, so they take one bus stick in on around 7.50 and no one knows the difference! Interesting that it was only half full even though it was two scheduled services. While shortly before hand they had run a half bus as the Navan 6.30 express.

Did a quick headcount at 6.25 the other day, people in queue for 6.30 express 41, people waiting for the 6.30 ordinary coach 7. When will the penny drop!

Have had a woeful few days of it with our friends in BE,

Bus last Friday that arrived late, broke down and all in all took nearly 2 hours to get to Navan.

A 4.15 with a timetabled time of 1 hour and 5 to Navan, reality being in excess of an hour an half, and full of examples of all that is wrong with the 109 route at present, including people getting on at the Blanch slip road to head to Lidl in Clonee, and people getting on in Clonee itself.

Then the old sneaky 6.52 bus today, i.e although they have a 6.45 and 7 .00 service as per timetable, so they take one bus stick in on around 7.50 and no one knows the difference! Interesting that it was only half full even though it was two scheduled services. While shortly before hand they had run a half bus as the Navan 6.30 express.

Did a quick headcount at 6.25 the other day, people in queue for 6.30 express 41, people waiting for the 6.30 ordinary coach 7. When will the penny drop!

There is a gap of one hour between the Dublin Bus service, that covers Blanchardstown to Clonee, when it leaves the terminus, between 4.15pm and 5.15pm (they are hourly from 9.15am), so that might explain why they opted to take the Bus Éireann service from Blanchardstown back to Clonee.

Have you contacted Dublin Bus, to see if they would cover more regularly, the areas that you are unhappy with Bus Éireann covering on the 109 service.

What response did you get?

Where were the people who got on in Clonee going?

Is there another bus service you would suggest to them, in order to return to Dunshaughlin or Navan?

There is a gap of one hour between the Dublin Bus service, that covers Blanchardstown to Clonee, when it leaves the terminus, between 4.15pm and 5.15pm (they are hourly from 9.15am), so that might explain why they opted to take the Bus Éireann service from Blanchardstown back to Clonee.

Have you contacted Dublin Bus, to see if they would cover more regularly, the areas that you are unhappy with Bus Éireann covering on the 109 service.

Is there another bus service you would suggest to them, in order to return to Dunshaughlin or Navan?

A timetabled headway of 1h 05m for a stage-carriage service departure at 1615 is highly unrealistic,and persevering with printing and disseminating it only reduces whatever stature an operator has....:rolleyes:

At this juncture,contacting BAC/BE in relation to the broader issues of Service Provision is largely fruitless...The ONLY show in Town (or Country ;)) in this regard is the NTA.

A timetabled headway of 1h 05m for a stage-carriage service departure at 1615 is highly unrealistic,and persevering with printing and disseminating it only reduces whatever stature an operator has....:rolleyes:

At this juncture,contacting BAC/BE in relation to the broader issues of Service Provision is largely fruitless...The ONLY show in Town (or Country ;)) in this regard is the NTA.

I know that the NTA would be more responsive, I have suggested people contact the NTA, to make their queries regarding bus services, in previous posts.

The point is, Commuter109 was being critical of passengers using the bus to go to Clonee, then criticised why they were going to Clonee - their reasons for using the bus are irrelevant - and then criticised the fact that people got on in Clonee.

If 109 passengers are unhappy with the use of intermediate stops, and then suggest that Dublin Bus should cover those routes, they should make contact with Dublin Bus to argue their case and find out if Dublin Bus are receptive to the idea of increasing their services to those locations.

I mentioned before, that all passengers, no matter where they are coming from or going to, contribute to the bus services.

I haven't received a response from Commuter109 with regard to what other bus service from Clonee, that passengers from there, would take, to destinations beyond Dunboyne, like Dunshaughlin or Navan.

If 109 passengers are unhappy with the use of intermediate stops, and then suggest that Dublin Bus should cover those routes, they should make contact with Dublin Bus to argue their case and find out if Dublin Bus are receptive to the idea of increasing their services.

I think,perhaps,that Commuter 109's,posts stem more from long running frustration,added to on a daily basis,by a long dawning realization that the Current Urban/Rural Bus Service divide in the Greater Dublin Area has long outlived it's relevance.

Bus Eireann,in particular,needs to re-entrench itself as the "Expressway" service provider,and notwithstanding,the many and varied PSO,Dominant Market Position,Public vs Private arguements,the NTA needs to look again at how the N3 Corridor has altered so much in the past 5 years,never mind a decade.

The most pertinent point for me,is the number of highly positive responses on here and elsewhere,when Customers ARE facilitated with a sub 1hr to 1hr 15M peak-time journey in "Express" mode,added to a sense of actually experiencing a positive return from major infrastructural projects such as the DPT....surely building on those hugely marketable aspects SHOULD be an NTA/BE/BAC priority ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I suspect at the end of the day, that the amount of money available is dictating what can and cannot be operated in terms of subsidised services.

The NTA has a shrinking pot of funds available to pay for these services with PSO subsidies dropping year upon year, and while I understand the frustrations of Navan users, the NTA also have an obligation to provide a service to everyone else along the N3 corridor too.

That ultimately is why we have the situation that we do.

I think,perhaps,that Commuter 109's,posts stem more from long running frustration,added to on a daily basis,by a long dawning realization that the Current Urban/Rural Bus Service divide in the Greater Dublin Area has long outlived it's relevance.

Bus Eireann,in particular,needs to re-entrench itself as the "Expressway" service provider,and notwithstanding,the many and varied PSO,Dominant Market Position,Public vs Private arguements,the NTA needs to look again at how the N3 Corridor has altered so much in the past 5 years,never mind a decade.

The most pertinent point for me,is the number of highly positive responses on here and elsewhere,when Customers ARE facilitated with a sub 1hr to 1hr 15M peak-time journey in "Express" mode,added to a sense of actually experiencing a positive return from major infrastructural projects such as the DPT....surely building on those hugely marketable aspects SHOULD be an NTA/BE/BAC priority ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

Fair enough, on the points you make.

I still maintain that rather than being critical of the fact that people in Dunshaughlin and Clonee use the 109 service, the only way to solve the issue is by making contact with Dublin Bus or the NTA.

What alternative transport is available to people at those stops, for example, from Clonee back to places like Navan and Dunshaughlin?

If people who only use the 109 direct from Navan to Dublin are unhappy with intermediate stops like Clonee, they need to find out if Dublin Bus are willing to serve those places far more frequently.

It was suggested before, by Commuter109, to remove Dunshaughlin from the 109 service and have Dublin Bus serve Dunshaughlin like Clonee.

The Dublin Bus number 70 Clonee service is far less frequent than the 109 service, and on Sundays the Dublin Clonee service is every two hours.

I'm sure Dunshaughlin residents, along with passengers who get the 109 at the various stops between Navan and Dunshaughlin - would be considerably unhappy if such a change was implemented.

Not everyone lives near town centre bus stops.

What other bus service would be available to people who use the bus stops at Kilcarn Bridge, Tara, Lismullen, Garlow Cross, Ross Cross, if the 109 omitted Dunshaughlin and was only direct from Navan to Dublin?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

Fair enough, on the points you make.

I still maintain that rather than being critical of the fact that people in Dunshaughlin and Clonee use the 109 service, the only way to solve the issue is by making contact with Dublin Bus or the NTA.

What alternative transport is available to people at those stops, for example, from Clonee back to places like Navan and Dunshaughlin?

If people who only use the 109 direct from Navan to Dublin are unhappy with intermediate stops like Clonee, they need to find out if Dublin Bus are willing to serve those places far more frequently.

It was suggested before, by Commuter109, to remove Dunshaughlin from the 109 service and have Dublin Bus serve Dunshaughlin like Clonee.

The Dublin Bus number 70 Clonee service is far less frequent than the 109 service, and on Sundays the Dublin Clonee service is every two hours.

I'm sure Dunshaughlin residents, along with passengers who get the 109 at the various stops between Navan and Dunshaughlin - would be considerably unhappy if such a change was implemented.

Not everyone lives near town centre bus stops.

What other bus service would be available to people who use the bus stops at Kilcarn Bridge, Tara, Lismullen, Garlow Cross, Ross Cross, if the 109 omitted Dunshaughlin and was only direct from Navan to Dublin?

Unless some enterprising operator wishes to have a punt at registering a stand-alone Commercial Service for those "In Betweenies" then it's down to the NTA to PSO the thing.....In the current climate that is highly unlikely,but NOT impossible.

Dublin Bus - Bus Eireann,for their part will do what the NTA DIRECTS them to do (The key word here is "DIRECTS" ) in terms of the PSO obligation...the issue is convincing the NTA that a FAR better level of "109 Express" journeys is worth the trade off against a reduction of service to the "In Betweeners"....Winners vs Losers I'm afraid,but I cannot see an alternative.

My own perception is of a significant amount of POTENTIAL,currently private car using,business in and around the Kells/Navan catchment area,who would be very willing to make a modal-switch IF the "109 Express" performance levels were more readily available on a daily basis.

Looking through the BE 109 timetable,that Single "Via the Port-Tunnel and M50 " note does rather stick-out.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1318429077-109.pdf

Currently,we read so many accounts of ad-hoc "helps" and assorted Hacker operated duties which,whilst very necessary,would also appear to indicate that the NTA/BE agreed Service Level on the 109 is NOT fulfilling the 21st Century Commuters expectations.

There is also some quite well informed discussion from 2013 here..some of which may be informative..... http://irishtransport.yuku.com/topic/5177/Dublin-Coach-New-service#.Uza1v4VCO1s

Again,I suggest that VERY significant and,potentially business-building,improvements could be made in very short order,but ONLY if some eggs can be cracked to cook the Omlette...that cracking may well discommode the "In-Betweeners",but in the absence of unlimited € € € €,do we have any reasonable alternatives ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭tom23

Was wishy washy a woman? You ask a lot of naive questions horse burger, like who in their right mind is going to ask another commuter would you mind not using this bus because I am unhappy that transport policy from the authority does not take into account that it is not acceptable to be spending 1.5 hours travelling 30 kilometres.

Regardless bus eireann should not be offering that service from blanch to clonee because bus eireann is a regional bus service therefore it should act like one, if the Nta want a joined up public transport network they need better solutions than simply adding mileage in to bus routes.

Advertisement