Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It was argued here recently that Bus Éireann should have used one of these buses on the 6.30pm express route from Bus Aras to Navan because the bus that was used was full.

(see post 607 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88728925&postcount=607

It had been emphasised that a larger bus, which was not full, had left - as scheduled - at 6.15pm. The suggestion was, why wasn't this larger bus used for the 6.30pm express, to accommodate everyone wishing to go to Navan.

So if they use the larger double deck bus on the express route to take the extra people who wanted to take the express to Navan, and it doesn't get down to Navan as quick because it is speed limited, then perhaps people will still be unhappy with the service?

The LD double deck coaches are limited to 100kph same as other coaches, they are used on the 109 route as well as other routes like the 120/123/x1/20. bus eireann also use double deck city buses like are used on the 103/105 routes which are limited to 65kph because they are rated to carry people standing. These are not suitable for outer commuter journeys to Navan/Cavan.

The problem with the early slow bus through phibsboro is they usually use the larger LD coach which leaves only half full while there is usually already a big que forming for the express that leaves 15 minutes later which they use a smaller coach for. Do inspectors/management at Busaras not switch buses and coaches around as required to suit demand? If not then they need to make themselves much better at what they do.

Also I might sometimes come across a bit aggressively in relation to how I perceive the workings of transport companies but that would be because I have trouble seeing how managers would let a 5.15pm bus with 79seats leave half empty when they know or should expect that the 53seater planned for the 5.30pm express service will not be big enough as there may well be 70+ passengers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The LD double deck coaches are limited to 100kph same as other coaches, they are used on the 109 route as well as other routes like the 120/123/x1/20. bus eireann also use double deck city buses like are used on the 103/105 routes which are limited to 65kph because they are rated to carry people standing. These are not suitable for outer commuter journeys to Navan/Cavan.

The problem with the early slow bus through phibsboro is they usually use the larger LD coach which leaves only half full while there is usually already a big que forming for the express that leaves 15 minutes later which they use a smaller coach for. Do inspectors/management at Busaras not switch buses and coaches around as required to suit demand? If not then they need to make themselves much better at what they do.

Fair enough. But just to add, I asked in a reply to the person who made this observation in an earlier post, if they had asked Bus Éireann, if the double deck bus that they saw leave at 6.15pm could be swapped and used for the 6.30pm express service.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88737125&postcount=609

I also suggested that it may be possible that the bus that leaves Bus Aras at 6.15pm for Kells might be required for the 109 service that starts in Kells at 8.15pm for Dublin.

If the double deck bus used at 6.15 was swapped and used for the express service that leaves Bus Aras at 6.30pm, it might not be in Kells in time for the service at 8.15pm.

It might be the case that it might be a question of availability of buses for the later services, for example from Kells at 8,15pm, which could determine whether the 6.15pm and 6.30pm buses could be swapped?

Any 109 I get is either a single deck bus or the large double deck type. I have never seen the type of bus you mention that are used for the 103 or 105 routes, used on the 109 route.

Regarding the speed of the different types of buses, I could be wrong, but I understood that both the types of double decker, of which you mention, have a specific speed limit, preventing them from going as great a speed as the single deck buses?

I always understood that all double deckers had a stricter speed limit compared to the normal single deck bus?

I still think no matter what Bus Éireann do to change their service, someone will find faults.

For example, I mentioned before about people from Cavan wanting to avoid Kells and Navan going to Dublin, and people from Navan en route to Dublin wanting to avoid Dunshaughlin and Blanchardstown.

(and when a private company last October ran a service from Cavan and Virginia to Dublin, it only lasted four weeks)

There has to be reasonable enough explanations as to the way Bus Éireann operate services and people coming on here constantly criticising them won't win any wars against them!:)

Yes I understand that the 6.30 has to do a later return from Kells but the loadings on that service from kells which would be against the peak time flow would hardly warrant it being a double deck coach? If the double deck coach was required for a morning departure from Cavan or kelps then fine but it is unlikely that a 5.15pm departure to Navan/Cavan would be staying the evening and night in Cavan. More likely that a later bus is used in the morning.

In relation to the speeds, the single and large double deck long distance coaches are limited to 100kph while any other double deck city bus such as those used on the 103/5 are limited to 65 the same as all Dublin bus buses.

Yes I understand that the 6.30 has to do a later return from Kells but the loadings on that service from kells which would be against the peak time flow would hardly warrant it being a double deck coach? If the double deck coach was required for a morning departure from Cavan or kelps then fine but it is unlikely that a 5.15pm departure to Navan/Cavan would be staying the evening and night in Cavan. More likely that a later bus is used in the morning.

I was thinking also, although I could be wrong,

that whether the drivers and the buses used for the 6.15pm to Kells, are based in either the Navan or Kells bus depots, might determine whether it could be used for the 6.30pm express to Navan?

I was thinking also, although I could be wrong,

that whether the driver and the bus used for the 6.15pm to Kells, are based in either the Navan or Kells bus depots, might determine whether it could be used for the 6.30pm express to Navan?

I would hope that where the drivers are based does not come into what buses they drive or what route they would take. Maybe the issue is what buses drivers take out when they arrive in the morning? If a driver is down to do a couple of high loading peak runs yet leaves a double deck bus in the depot and takes out a 53 seated that is just wrong. I have heard drivers on the 120 say to people that they go to the yard in edenderry in the morning and it is a first up best dressed arrangement with the buses which can lead to half empty double deck buses on off peak services while other peak time services are using single deck buses and leaving passengers behind.

• Advertisement

I would hope that where the drivers are based does not come into what buses they drive or what route they would take.

As I said, I don't know, I'm probably wrong.

As I said, I don't know, I'm probably wrong.

Either way They have more buses ordered recently so that might improve things for the long suffering Meath commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

6.30 express hit the Ard Boyne in under 50 minutes yesterday evenuing, and the 7.20 express did O Connell Street in 53 minutes this morning. These are seriously marketable times.

Downside of this week was double digits figures been left behind on the Monday 5.30 express, due to demand outstripping supply, which unfortunatley is an all to frequent occurence with the express services

Interestingly the 6.15 to kells didnt show yesterday due to a breakdown, but from what i could see the 6.30 could adequately deal with the numbers queing for both the 6.15 and 6.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Agh what's the point of buying internet tickets ?!?!?
    Got on the 17.30 bus to Cavan to be greeted by "not another one those f*cking yokes" ended up not being enough seats on that bus, got on the 17.30 to kells. Driver didn't know you could now use your phone to display the ticket so had to go asking others did he need the print out. I ended up delaying everyone else on the bus just because of poor communication between BE and staff

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

haro124 wrote: »
    Agh what's the point of buying internet tickets ?!?!?
    Got on the 17.30 bus to Cavan to be greeted by "not another one those f*cking yokes" ended up not being enough seats on that bus, got on the 17.30 to kells. Driver didn't know you could now use your phone to display the ticket so had to go asking others did he need the print out. I ended up delaying everyone else on the bus just because of poor communication between BE and staff
    Dunno how he didn't know broadstone is plastered with posters and leaflets about it.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what was happening with the 7.20 express this morning? it seemed like carnage. Assumedly the 7.05 express didnt show?

There were alot of passengers in the square that didnt get on the private bus 7.20 express not to mention another 40 plus waiting at Johnston, which the express passed due to being full.

I hope a second one showed up, but there didn't appear be one when the first bus left full at 7.21

Bus driver asked me to print out my online ticket from now on because it's easier on the driver.....

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

Bus driver asked me to print out my online ticket from now on because it's easier on the driver.....

Typical attitude from BE.

I've just been asked to read it out to them. Simples.

Make a complaint to Bus Éireann, the drivers have all supposedly recieved some training on this new feature and should have no problem issuing tickets.

Make a complaint to Bus Éireann, the drivers have all supposedly recieved some training on this new feature and should have no problem issuing tickets.

I'm still waiting for a reply for my last complaint..... Won't hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

Apparently they need to take down the number to prove they sold an internet ticket if they don't have a print out, so I can see where they're coming from. Makes no sense to me - why introduce this if they still need a piece of paper with the number on it?

ailbheg wrote: »
    Apparently they need to take down the number to prove they sold an internet ticket if they don't have a print out, so I can see where they're coming from. Makes no sense to me - why introduce this if they still need a piece of paper with the number on it?
    Agh yes that must be why a lot of them seem to have little notebooks to write then down. Worst internet tickets in the world!!!

Agh yes that must be why a lot of them seem to have little notebooks to write then down. Worst internet tickets in the world!!!

That part of them is, and I'd say it's frustrating for the drivers, but it was very handy for me the other day, I bought my ticket while at the bus stop, so had no access to a printer.

I had assumed that the machine recorded the number/the fact it was an internet ticket, which could be checked later/would show up when the ticket totals for the run/day were being done, but obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quite...a major issue appears to be "Cashing Up" at the end of a very long shift...My understanding is that the Drivers Ticket Machine's final tally for Tickets Issued will be at the Ticket Machine Value,whilst the Internet Warrant will incorporate the ON-Line Discount to the Customer..This means the individual driver has to manually reconcile (ie: pencil and paper) and account for the (Obvious) discrepancy,usually in the wee small hours of the morning after completing a late shift !!.....It's why businessmen hire accountants I suppose ?

Perhaps one of the BE Drivers can confirm or clarify this procedure ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

This is probably the first time I'll post something positive in this page. Kells-O'Connell street in 55 mins this morning!

• Advertisement

This is probably the first time I'll post something positive in this page. Kells-O'Connell street in 55 mins this morning!

That is a serious time and highly commendable. Navan 7.20 made it in very good time too, but that was partly due to leaving early because it was full.

Again this morning there seemed to be a no show or a very late show on the part of the 7.05 (thats the only conslusion I can draw as there was 30 plus people at the square at 7.06)

The bus for the 6.30 express yesterday evening wouldn't start , loaded everyone into the 6.45 kells bus, before it eventually started and left around 6.45 or so. Also saw a broken down R109 en route in yesterday morning.

Oh well, at least all the buses are now LEAP enabled and this new paperless ticketing seems to be working like a dream! lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭tom23

Serious time. Got the 9:30 home last night to Navan, the bus seems to crawl along at 60/65. Watched in envy as we passed out by 109A.

Got the 7:05 this morning. Made up to O'Connell Street for 7.50. Bus itself was a brand new one. I thought to myself that this is the way to travel. Compliments as well to the driver, knows how to treat his passengers! No radio blasting, nice ambient lighting, heating on at the right temperature. When ya get mornings like that its uplifting, all I needed was Bill Withers lovely day on the iPod and I would slept to St. Stephens Green. More of the same please!

Great to hear, as I said previously, the expresses by and large have been a great success and more of them are needed. At a macro level, statistics like Navan to Dublin in comfort in 45 minutes, do alot to enhance the reputation of Navan as a viable place to commute from, with obvious knock on positive effects.

07:05 late again this morning, while only about 5 minutes it really upsets the Eco system. Said it before and ill say again the amount of time spent on processing tickets is crazy. Cash and the internet tickets in this day and age of technology why is this still an issue?

tom23 wrote: »
    07:05 late again this morning, while only about 5 minutes it really upsets the Eco system. Said it before and ill say again the amount of time spent on processing tickets is crazy. Cash and the internet tickets in this day and age of technology why is this still an issue?

Saw that , it was still there at 7.10 when I went to get the 7.20. The 7.20 express was stuck behind, with the normal 7.20 behind that again, totally blocking Kennedy road, so nothing could in or out.

The ticketing system is a joke shop, and certainly on the expresses and many non expresses I have been on there are no Leap readers yet, depsite the fact it was rolled out months ago.

I said it before, why people arent producing Leap cards and walking straight onto these buses for free is beyond me. It would certainly speed things up and after week or so of that and BE might get the finger out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Got the 109 this morning. Normally I keep a wide berth from BE.
    My ticket was stamped 07.39 at a cost of Euro16.50 from Navan (Ardboyne). Gosh every random time I get this BE service, the cost appears to have increased.
    I got to my office in Dublin 2 at 09.40.

Back to my usual private coach next week thanks bit of goodness.

So does LEAP work on the 109? I was considering purchasing one to have the odd time I might get BE or Dublin Bus but no point purchasing if the 109 cannot use it?
    Very disappointed to read the new internet ticket system isn't any less work for the bus driver. Their heads must be wrecked still having to record the booking number.

Kutebride wrote: »
    So does LEAP work on the 109? I was considering purchasing one to have the odd time I might get BE or Dublin Bus but no point purchasing if the 109 cannot use it?
    Very disappointed to read the new internet ticket system isn't any less work for the bus driver. Their heads must be wrecked still having to record the booking number.

If you have a leap card and there is no reader on the bus you get the journey for free AFAIK which might make commuting on the 109 very competitive if only they could make the times consistent.

• Advertisement

If you have a leap card and there is no reader on the bus you get the journey for free AFAIK which might make commuting on the 109 very competitive if only they could make the times consistent.

This is what has been happening. If they don't have the reader/can't use it, it's not the passenger's fault. I find it hard to believe that there are still buses on these routes that don't have the new readers (and drivers that can't use them). It's almost 6 months since they started use on BÉ.

Advertisement