Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

See answers in blue
    Serephucus wrote: »
    Couple of questions for those with Kindles (the new ones, 3rd gen, I think?) if you'd be so kind:

I have a first-gen Sony Reader (PRS-505) that's just snuffed it, and I'm looking at one of these as an upgrade. A lot of the ebook-related questions - Amazon.com/UK, copyright, buying, etc. - have already been answered, so a couple of others:

Does it support collections? For series of books, etc. (I assume yes, but just making sure) It supports collections, I've never used it though so not sure if its what you mean.
    Does it support epub and PDF books? (Again, just being thorough) Yes to PDF (badly usually), no to epub (without conversion).
    Can it be used with Calibre? (Already have library, would rather not use other software) Yes
    Average battery life? (In pages) A lot

Not really looking for anything madly fancy. Just something to read with that isn't LED-backed.

Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Couple of questions for those with Kindles (the new ones, 3rd gen, I think?) if you'd be so kind:

I have a first-gen Sony Reader (PRS-505) that's just snuffed it, and I'm looking at one of these as an upgrade. A lot of the ebook-related questions - Amazon.com/UK, copyright, buying, etc. - have already been answered, so a couple of others:

Does it support collections? For series of books, etc. (I assume yes, but just making sure)
    Does it support epub and PDF books? (Again, just being thorough)
    Can it be used with Calibre? (Already have library, would rather not use other software)
    Average battery life? (In pages)

Not really looking for anything madly fancy. Just something to read with that isn't LED-backed.

Thanks all!

Out of curiosity are their any current Sony reader which do this better?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Probably, but they'll cost an arm and a leg.

Yup, even their 5" pocket reader is €15 more expensive, and I'm looking for a 6".

• Registered Users Posts: 35 G20

It's now March, 2012. Is the Kindle Touch available to buy in Irish shops yet?

If I bought one direct from Amazon, would it be free delivery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 duodenum

G20 wrote: »
    It's now March, 2012. Is the Kindle Touch available to buy in Irish shops yet?

If I bought one direct from Amazon, would it be free delivery?

Not sure Does it's available on shop yet?
    I'm buying Kindle Touch online from Amazon.com and Here is My billing,
    It's not free delivery but Total prices included Shipping cost and Duty is around $193.58 USD ~ 147 EUR . Worth it's prices.

ktouchirelandprices1.jpg

• Advertisement

With all due respect, Duodenum, there is something very odd about that site you referred me to. Whoever put up that site doesn't have a great grasp of the English language. I wouldn't go near them with a forty foot barge pole.

G20 wrote: »
    With all due respect, Duodenum, there is something very odd about that site you referred me to. Whoever put up that site doesn't have a great grasp of the English language. I wouldn't go near them with a forty foot barge pole.

Sure, G20

Go directedly to Amazon.com and you will find it's easy because Amazon buying process is step by step easy done even you are the first time :D

That's good advice, Duodenum, I'll go straight to Amazon and order it from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jeuneloup

I want to get one of those but have no idea about them Which one is in your opinion best, which one would you recommend? Thanks

I'm probably going to go for the Kindle myself. Tesco have them for €115, which is by far the cheapest 6" reader available right now. Having to convert my whole library to MOBI is going to be annoying (stupid lack of EPUB support) but I can live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Having to convert my whole library to MOBI is going to be annoying (stupid lack of EPUB support) but I can live with it.

Not true, for native EPUB support you can install CoolReader 3 (requires "jailbreaking" the Kindle, instructions over at mobileread.com) or get DuoKan, an alternative OS which can be used parallel to Kindle OS without affecting the Kindle's original functionality, the installation is a walk in the park (unzip and copy onto the Kindle via USB).

Mind you, the MOBI format is obsolete as it is to be replaced with KF8 (w HTML5 support) in the coming weeks. And knowing Amazon, they will probably soon thereafter cease MOBI sales in order to force customers to upgrade to the next Kindle generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Hi
    Re: Kindle questions, based on using and setting up 3 different Kindle generations for my wife:

How to convert different ebook formats to the Kindle's native .mobi?

-Converting one format to another?
    Use Calibre ( http://download.cnet.com/Calibre/3000-20412_4-10910277.html ), its free, the best converter out there and handles batch conversions pretty smoothly. (ie: you point Calibre at a bunch of of you ebook titles on your hard drive and once you tell it where to output the files, it just works.)
    NB: formatting is still shaky, expect some titles to be perfect, others with miss-aligned paragraphs and word wraps.

Someone already mentioned this earlier on Boards, but stick to .mobi files for the Kindle, .PDFs just look awful and the Kindle "reads" the .PDF file as one big image, so you zoom in and out to read, rather than moving through text.

-Battery life?
    Easily 2 weeks with daily reading for a few hours per day, the Kindle is perfect for throwing into your pocked/bag and digging out when you have a few mins to kill. The Wifi does marginally drain the battery (no push notifications) but once switched off, you should get 1/3 better power.

-Tesco have for Euro110 the basic, wifi, 4th Generation Kindle. Its not back-lit, does not come with a touch screen or a storage case but if you want an lightweight eReader that simply does what it should do at a great price, its perfect.
    BTW, at your local Tesco you'll see they have an "official" clip-on light (Kindle is not backlit, so reading at night with a bedside light be slightly difficult.) The official clip-on lights are wildly over priced, look in Tesco's office supplies aisle, they have a alternative clip-on led light for (I think) about Euro7.

If you are still debating the Euro110/199 Kindles over the Ipad, you're missing the point. Its not a iPad killing multi-media device, -its a simple eReader that in a year's time when the next gen eReader is unveiled, you can easily trade up as you have >only< spent Euro110. This is a great stop-gap eReader that has a min. of hassle setting up and using on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

As far as I know they dont plan on releasing the touch in Europe you have to order the touch from amazon.com I am considering it but I am a bit afraid really not educated in them at all , has anyone got one and had no problems ? I would just have to buy the books from the .com site ?

Hi, Lil,

After doing all my research, I went ahead and ordered the Kindle Touch direct from the Amazon site. It arrived this morning by courier, less than a week later.
    Cost, including tax and delivery, in the region of 150 euro. ($198)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Know absolutely nothing about them other than ya download the books onto them. How much should I expect to pay for one now? Is there newer/older versions worth getting or much of a difference between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Check out the prices here on:

www.amazon.com

There are different types. I have the Kindle with keyboard. I have it a few months, have read several books and not once used the keyboard, but I bought it just before the other models were available.

You'll pay extra for the 3G version which means you'll be able to download books from anywhere.

I didn't bother with the 3G as I tend to load a good few books on at a time so I wouldn't "run out".

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Hi I just have a wuestion or two

Got my tax refund from the Gov today decided to treat myself to a kindle...have a friend that works in Tesco says he'll get me one with his discount so only end up round €80 for the wifi only non key board one which in fairness is brilliant.

One of my others friends said that that version has ads on it, I cant see it mentioned anywhere on tesco's page but I know you can get a cheaper version straight from amazon that has them.

Just wondering does anyone know if it has/hasn't ads and if so how annoying/intrusive are they?

I haven't seen any ads on mine. I'm pretty sure that's only the US versions.

Amazon launched Kindle Touch 3G internationally Now. But It's only Pre-order.
    The Product will start shipping on April 27, 2012. They also available in Amazon.co.uk store but For shipping to Ireland, Must buy From Amazon.com only. Here's product link >>

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-Free-Wi-Fi-Display/dp/B005890FSK/ref=amb_link_361500482_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=15698TH3GWFT5V9A9J0A&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1355284602&pf_rd_i=B005890G8O

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Hi
    The previous post is correct about the ad-supported Kindle only being the US version.

In the US, as an incentive, you get a few dollars off the Kindle retail price in return for your screensaver offering ad-supported content. To be fair to Amazon, the ads were usually money-off coupons, so not really the usual annoying ad banners you see on web pages.

The price your friend can get is a bargain, grab it now and thank your friend.
    Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

kildaremum wrote: »
    Ok - I just read that post and it didnt register! The book is also available on ebooks.com. would that version be suitable for conversion to kindle

I would be interested to know if there is an answer to this question?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think any mainstream version really is suitable for conversion, you just use calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭emo72

My case off amazon is da best :p

51mhk4oZKzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

feels lovely.

have you tried to smoke it? you know what its made of? yah?

got one for the special one, got her a dodocase for it. have to say its classy but damn expensive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Haven't tried to yet, few books to get through first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

for anyone looking for a cheap booklight in a bricks and mortar store, homebase (the one in navan, but i imagine they all have them) had this rolston one in all black for €3.

i don't think it would clip directly onto a kindle, but it would work fine to clip onto a kindle cover for some late night, lights off reading fun. :)

Just see Amazon.co.uk Now available for Kindle Touch and Kindle Touch 3G in their store, But it can't ship to Ireland and Redirected Me to Amazon.com

Whitney-templates-gw-06c-470x265._V134413494_.jpg

So, I think Irish must buy from Amazon.com

I try Pre-order it Here

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-Free-Wi-Fi-Display/dp/B005890FSK/ref=amb_link_361500482_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=15698TH3GWFT5V9A9J0A&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1355284602&pf_rd_i=B005890G8O&tag=kindleireland-20

Amazon prices summary was shown in the picture

snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

????? confused ?????

The kindle was never available from amazon.co.uk afaik. We always had to buy the kindle (and all ebooks) from amazon.com.

Or am I missing something here?????

The international store only available at Amazon.com, Right? ToadVine.
    I'm not sure about that because Kindle Touch is my first ereader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

ToadVine wrote: »
    ????? confused ?????

The kindle was never available from amazon.co.uk afaik. We always had to buy the kindle (and all ebooks) from amazon.com.

Or am I missing something here?????

Kindles for delivery to Ireland at Amazon.com on this page
    I just pre ordered the 3G Touch - due out for Ireland on 27th April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Hi guys, quick question for ye.

My niece has the wifi non-keyboard Kindle, and she charged it today from the mains. When she switched it back on, she couldn't see any of her books on the kindle, but they're still there because they showed up on it when she plugged it in to the computer. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for fixing this?

I suggested she copy the books on to her computer, and then re-copy them back on to her kindle, but this didn't help.

Would appreciate any tips!

Advertisement