Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Poulgorm wrote: »
    The Nook Simple Touch is very highly rated in all the reviews.
    it also runs android and you can root it and reflash the firmware to a stock android format which means you can then use it with the software nook reader as well as the kindle reader and anything else you like from the android store.

granted, angry birds is going to be a tad on the jerky side :pac: but plenty of android apps will function fine on the e-ink display and it would be worth having for the battery life alone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

I have a Kindle Touch since just after Christmas and love it. So far I have bought all my books from Amazon.com. I want to buy a book now and its not available on amazon for the kindle but I see it is available for other ereaders. I know that I should be able to use Calibre to buy this book and then transfer it via usb to my kindle but I just can't seem to be able to do this. When I find the book on the Calibre list and I click on it I am directed to the Barnes & Nobel site. Do I make an account there and just buy the book ? I suppose I could take a chance as its only about $5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

kildaremum wrote: »
    I have a Kindle Touch since just after Christmas and love it. So far I have bought all my books from Amazon.com. I want to buy a book now and its not available on amazon for the kindle but I see it is available for other ereaders. I know that I should be able to use Calibre to buy this book and then transfer it via usb to my kindle but I just can't seem to be able to do this. When I find the book on the Calibre list and I click on it I am directed to the Barnes & Nobel site. Do I make an account there and just buy the book ? I suppose I could take a chance as its only about $5 ?
    fraid not, as Poulgorm already found out. :(
    Poulgorm wrote: »
    You cannot use the Barnes & Noble ebookstore, unless you live in the USA (i.e. your credit card address must be in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Ok - I just read that post and it didnt register! The book is also available on ebooks.com. would that version be suitable for conversion to kindle

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

*Not sure if this post is in the right place or not*

Hi all!

So Tesco are selling the Kindle and the Kindle keyboard for a considerably lower price than if one were to purchase them on Amazon. I'm extremely interested in purchasing one, but I've seen on the amazon.co.uk website that it redirects you to the amazon.com website if you are outside of the UK and want to buy ebooks.

So is it simply a matter of purchasing from the .com website? Is the dollar converted to euro when you purchase the ebooks?

If somebody could help me I would really appreciate it as I would hate to buy the kindle only to discover that I can't use it.

Thank you in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

you can change your location in the manage your kindle section on the amazon.com site to make it UK then you can shop in the uk store

and the kindle keyboard with wifi only is all you really need. 3g would never be used as it takes seconds to download a book.

Would you not need a uk address though?

yea put anything down for it.
    nothing will ever be sent there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Would Amazon not check the IP address to seek if it came from the UK? (say if buying the books from the website)

ive never had any trouble buying books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Hi Re: Kindle and Tesco, over last few years have gotten my wife three different Kindles, so, have some knowledge on this topic! :D
    Bottom line: physically pick up the wifi only, Euro110 Kindle from Tesco.
    Why:

-When you order from amazon.co.uk, it redirects to US to order. Not a huge problem as you still get the Kindle in 3 working days via courier and if you want to get ebooks, you use your Amazon account. However, if anything goes wrong (very rare) with the Kindle, you can simply bring back to Tesco to replace. You also get Tesco shopping points!

-You don't need the Euro199 Kindle, -the one with the keypad buttons at bottom 1/3. Its too big, you will almost never need to type anything and, in comparison to the wifi-only Kindle, its heavier to hold with one hand.

-The Euro199 Kindle has more internal memory BUT you don't need it. The Wifi Kindle has way more memory than you will ever need (even for a two week holiday, I speak from experience). I can easily get 100 ebooks (.mobi format) onto the Kindle, max about 1000 but its a pain to keep clicking "..next page, next page...." to run through the list of titles on your Kindle.

The bottom line is: if you like reading, want a "quick and dirty" solution to ebooks and a device that you can throw in a bag/purse/pocket, get the wifi, Euro99 Kindle.
    NB: Get a case asap. If you can spring for the official Kindle case, great. If you plan to pick up, throw in bag on a daily basis, the Kindle will look like crap within weeks from micro-scratches and misc. dings and dents. The case is not cheap (Euro30?) but it will keep the Kindle clean and tidy.

Have fun!

+1 on cases.

i have this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZUXVSK

love it :)

paul9mm wrote: »
    Hi Re: Kindle and Tesco, over last few years have gotten my wife three different Kindles, so, have some knowledge on this topic! :D
    Bottom line: physically pick up the wifi only, Euro110 Kindle from Tesco.
    Why:

-When you order from amazon.co.uk, it redirects to US to order. Not a huge problem as you still get the Kindle in 3 working days via courier and if you want to get ebooks, you use your Amazon account. However, if anything goes wrong (very rare) with the Kindle, you can simply bring back to Tesco to replace. You also get Tesco shopping points!

-You don't need the Euro199 Kindle, -the one with the keypad buttons at bottom 1/3. Its too big, you will almost never need to type anything and, in comparison to the wifi-only Kindle, its heavier to hold with one hand.

-The Euro199 Kindle has more internal memory BUT you don't need it. The Wifi Kindle has way more memory than you will ever need (even for a two week holiday, I speak from experience). I can easily get 100 ebooks (.mobi format) onto the Kindle, max about 1000 but its a pain to keep clicking "..next page, next page...." to run through the list of titles on your Kindle.

The bottom line is: if you like reading, want a "quick and dirty" solution to ebooks and a device that you can throw in a bag/purse/pocket, get the wifi, Euro99 Kindle.
    NB: Get a case asap. If you can spring for the official Kindle case, great. If you plan to pick up, throw in bag on a daily basis, the Kindle will look like crap within weeks from micro-scratches and misc. dings and dents. The case is not cheap (Euro30?) but it will keep the Kindle clean and tidy.

Have fun!

Thanks for thr info thats very helpful! But do you purchase the ebooks themselves from the co.uk website?

the only way to purchase e-books from the uk site is the way i said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ah it's not that heavy or big at all. And I find that as the keyboard is there, I tend to use it a good bit. When I reading a book I sometimes have to flick back to remind myself who a character is or something like that, particularly when the book is not based in an English speaking country so character names don't tend to stick as easily. So with the keyboard I just type the name or whatever in to do the same. Probably wouldn't go to the trouble with a non-keyboard version.

max about 1000 but its a pain to keep clicking "..next page, next page...." to run through the list of titles on your Kindle.

That's where collections come in handy, or they keyboard to find the book quicker

Re volume of titles on the Kindle and using collections/buttons to find specific titles, you are correct. But my wife simply wanted a low-tech, easy to understand and "childishly straightforward" ebook reader.
    In other words, the fewer buttons the better!:)

BTW, two quick things:
    -The white data cable that comes with the Kindle (Micro USB to USB), with the exception of Apple devices, will double as a charging cable for pretty much all new smart phones (HTC, Sony etc)

-The web browser on the 3rd Generation Kindle (Keyboard) sounds great but in practice, painful. Tried while abroad to use the web browser to access Gmail. Easily took 5 min just to read the email Headers -felt like I was back to a 28K dial-up.:rolleyes:

Snip-no warez, user banned for a week

How to put them on the kindle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxjCpDetF6A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I disagree with what you're advocating in your post, why not just pop into your local Eason and stick them under your jumper.

Good and valid point.

You could try this:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Free_Kindle_Books

or,
    http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Free-kindle-Books/lm/R27UG52OAM3TFX

or,
    http://mashable.com/2010/12/25/free-kindle-books/

-or simply enter "free Kindle books" into Google/Yahoo/Bing etc. I am not advocating that all who buy a Kindle fill up with free titles just because they are there. There are a hell of a lot of free titles out there but, from my experience, almost no one who has just bought a Kindle is aware that you don't need to buy ebooks for the device.

Yes, you >do< need to buy ebooks for copyrighted titles, in much the same way you need to buy books from Easons, Tescos etc. But as amazon = .mobi titles, you have to use amazon's over the air service. As an earlier poster pointed out, the confusion over getting the titles from Amazon's UK or Irish site, paying in Euros, UK £ or US$ for said titles is causing unnecessary confusion. The havoc that first hit the music industry, then the film/DVD market from pirated materials is now starting to hit the ebook market. That Amazon is trying to match Itunes for ebooks purchase, as a single point of contact for readers is both welcome (ease of use) but also worrying (monopoly).

The next problem people have is transferring the .mobi files onto the device. Calibre ( http://calibre-ebook.com/ ) is still the best free software service available but its GUI is a mess and a pain to use if you want to transfer a .pdf, .txt or other filles to .mobi.

Sorry if this is rambling on but you do have a perfect point, but in my earlier posting I should have made clear the copyright/non-copyright ebook distinction. This IT article refers to this on-going debate: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0101/breaking4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

How are you guys finding the battery life with the touch? Seems noticeably shorter than the last generation kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Deborah12

Hi hope someone can help me. I just bought a Kindle but didn't realise that I needed wi fi to set it up. I only have o2 broadband at home, don't know what to do now :0 any help gratefully received, thanks..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Couple of questions for those with Kindles (the new ones, 3rd gen, I think?) if you'd be so kind:

I have a first-gen Sony Reader (PRS-505) that's just snuffed it, and I'm looking at one of these as an upgrade. A lot of the ebook-related questions - Amazon.com/UK, copyright, buying, etc. - have already been answered, so a couple of others:

Does it support collections? For series of books, etc. (I assume yes, but just making sure)
    Does it support epub and PDF books? (Again, just being thorough)
    Can it be used with Calibre? (Already have library, would rather not use other software)
    Average battery life? (In pages)

Not really looking for anything madly fancy. Just something to read with that isn't LED-backed.

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭positron

Apologies if thsi has been asked before (but probably not recently?), where is the best place to get a Kindle in next couple of days (gift for mother-in-law for this weekend).

PS: I already have two Kindle 4 in the family both well loved (and both sourced from US)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pc world or somewhere I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 duodenum

boaber wrote: »
    Kindle Touch is now available in Ireland from amazon.com (though it looks like the 3G version is not yet available)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051QVF7A/?tag=gocous-20&hvadid=8783148197&ref=pd_sl_oct4e4fdq_b

Hey, Boaber - I follow your link and the product is Normal Kindle wifi with 5 way controller, Not touch screen

So i search on amazon website and found the true Kindle Touch Screen Interntional link here, It's only wifi version $139 USD

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005890FUI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0051QVESA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Tesco sell them and they have a few cases too. Great Mothers Day present!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tesco and get the club card points or PC World.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks, I had a sweep of the usual places.

Kindle 4 is €109 at both Argos & Currys. It's €110 at Tesco.
    Kindle keyboard 3G is 167.47 at Argos, but €182 at Currys. Argos has it in stock, so going by Currys' pricematch policy, you should be able to get one from Currys for 167.47 - 10% of the difference = €166.

Yes, Tesco has some really nice cases. Amazon case is €40 or so - but feels lovely to hold. Belkin leather case for €19 or so is also really nice. Cheaper cases are meh, and some more expensive ones are also just meh. I'm tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

positron wrote: »
    Thanks, I had a sweep of the usual places.

Kindle 4 is €109 at both Argos & Currys. It's €110 at Tesco.
    Kindle keyboard 3G is 167.47 at Argos, but €182 at Currys. Argos has it in stock, so going by Currys' pricematch policy, you should be able to get one from Currys for 167.47 - 10% of the difference = €166.

Yes, Tesco has some really nice cases. Amazon case is €40 or so - but feels lovely to hold. Belkin leather case for €19 or so is also really nice. Cheaper cases are meh, and some more expensive ones are also just meh. I'm tempted.

Didn't realise argos sell them as well now ! that's good news I would think for reduced prices down the road !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My case off amazon is da best :p

51mhk4oZKzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

feels lovely.

Advertisement