Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

I got a lovely good quality cover in the ilac for 15 euro. bit dear but it looks the biz

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Got a kindle for Xmas, love it! I'm not buying my books from amazon though as I'm not a "drm" fan.

All I can say is thank to Tar, your cover built up enough envy in me to go digital :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Re lights, these were for sale in Tesco for 10 quid or so and go well with my Kindle.
    http://www.energizer.com/lighting-products/everyday/Pages/led-book.aspx

A bit too bright if anything (you have to angle it away rather than directly at the Kindle).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mactard wrote: »
    Got a kindle for Xmas, love it! I'm not buying my books from amazon though as I'm not a "drm" fan.

All I can say is thank to Tar, your cover built up enough envy in me to go digital :-P

Ahaha! You got it too? I have it sitting one foot away from me. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The ma and da both got kindles for Christmas off each other. My da got a cover with his so my ma was feeling left out.

I decided to make this for her earlier.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=739&filename=yt5eq.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=815&filename=z47rx.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

blastman wrote: »
    My Kindle Touch landed this morning, looks very nice. It's supposed to be a Christmas present so I'm refraining from taking off the plastic screen cover in case I'm not allowed it yet! Cost me €94, pleased enough with that.

Hey blastman,

My dad inlaw got a touch from the US too, as a Christmas pres. Have you been able to register it and buy books through the online store without any problems? I am afraid that one would have to have a US based credit card :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Zooopy42

I got a cover with a light on ebay for €6

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Cover with light for 6 on ebay, can you post a link to the seller so I can have a look - thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Zooopy42

this is where i got the cover
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RED-LEATHER-CASE-COVER-LED-READING-LIGHT-AMAZON-KINDLE-3-/140677593482?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item20c109b98a

You have to bid for it but there is loads of them in different colours, so no one will bid against you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Brian017

Hey blastman,

My dad inlaw got a touch from the US too, as a Christmas pres. Have you been able to register it and buy books through the online store without any problems? I am afraid that one would have to have a US based credit card :(

No an Irish card will do fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Brian017 wrote: »
    No an Irish card will do fine

Cheers Brian :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Great - thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

NicoleL88 wrote: »

you cannot get the Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire. Its for US customers only.

How long is this going to be the case for? I'm looking to get a Kindle Touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

blastman wrote: »
    My Kindle Touch landed this morning, looks very nice. It's supposed to be a Christmas present so I'm refraining from taking off the plastic screen cover in case I'm not allowed it yet! Cost me €94, pleased enough with that.

Blastman

Where did you buy from? And how did you get it shipped to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I recently got a kindle touch from america, bought it off an american seller on eBay. I bought the wifi+3g model, and the total was €145. I created a new american amazon account, and added my visa to it.

the only problem is that now, i only have the american store, so i can't get the uk/ ireland content.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Mactard wrote: »

Where will you get your books from for the kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

podgec10 wrote: »
    Where will you get your books from for the kindle?

Download Calibre - Type in the book you want - and it gives you lots of different options to buy.
    Once downloaded you can convert to mobi format if you choose not to buy from amazon and copy onto the Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Excellent, going to try that later.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lighter

Can the kindle be bought in dixons in dublin airport and if so how much does it cost.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Mark

Lighter wrote: »
    Can the kindle be bought in dixons in dublin airport and if so how much does it cost.

Thanks

You can get one in Swords - PC World sell them. Got mine there for the Mrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Lighter wrote: »

Thanks

They do sell them, but I can't remember what they cost. I got mine there in July and it was slightly cheaper than Amazon were charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

which tesco was it ? tried a few today in nth dublin (by phone) and no joy...
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

thanks!

I saw loads of them in the Tesco in Cabra last Sunday. Can't believe they are gone by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

thanks!

Tesco in Artane castle had a good few in there a few days ago. Can't recall a time I have been in there over the last few months when there have been none.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 coyotefitzy

I'd love to know if Amazon has any intention of selling the Kindle DX over here, I love my kindle, but I think I would splash out for magazine subscriptions if i had a larger screen to read them on.
    Maybe they are waiting for colour e-ink tech for it.

I'd love to know if Amazon has any intention of selling the Kindle DX over here, I love my kindle, but I think I would splash out for magazine subscriptions if i had a larger screen to read them on.
    Maybe they are waiting for colour e-ink tech for it.
    As far as I know you can order the kindle dx. (international) on amazon.com and get it shipped here legitimately from amazon in the us
    I have to say though don't think that you'd get the same experience without the colour for magazines - I reckon it won't be more than another 12 months before colour e-ink is mainstream myself - so it might be worth holding on a while if you already have a kindle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Colour e-ink displays are not yet even at the stage of being uncommon. Will be a while yet before they are at the stage of appearing on devices in the sub $100 range which would be needed to be calling them common.

robinph wrote: »
    Colour e-ink displays are not yet even at the stage of being uncommon. Will be a while yet before they are at the stage of appearing on devices in the sub $100 range which would be needed to be calling them common.

I don't know if I agree - the DX is a premium device for a specific market and I would think that a DX (either with colour or regular e-ink) will take a while to go under 100 dollars - its always been expensive (relative to standard kindles) and still been in demand

Realistically I can see a colour kindle DX in the next year for a 300-400 dollar price point (hence my advice)

Here's a link you might find interesting

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/6/2615832/ectaco-jetbook-color-e-ink-reader-january-499-99

• Registered Users Posts: 23 coyotefitzy

Here's a link you might find interesting

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/6/26...january-499-99

Good link, I'm currently writing with the intention of selling over kindle publishing platform, a large (9'7) screen would be great for illustrated children's books. I have issues with integrating text and images in a pleasing way for the current kindle.
    Also, with a large screen i think more schools would pick up on the idea of issuing a kindle type device with colour to replace textbooks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Until some thing appears with an Amazon/ Sony/ Apple/ Barnes and Noble logo on it I don't think you could be calling it a mainstream e-ink device though. Apple are not going to be coming out with any such device and I can't see Amazon doing so either very soon as they have only just started pushing their tablet device.

Colour e-ink will be actually available by this time next year, but I cant see it being on anything more than the likes of unheard of manufacturers trying to make a name for themselves. A Sony or Amazon may start taking about such devices soon if the prices starts to come down a bit more, but don't hold your breath.

Advertisement