Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

have you tried manually syncing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I don't think that would work, they don't have wireless at home.

mariebeth wrote: »
    I don't think that would work, they don't have wireless at home.
    it would probably have been worth investing in the 3g one then. :p

but, if they can't sync it with amazon, download calibre and back up the books via usb, then reset the kindle and restore the books again via calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Trampas

Kindle Touch fireware 5.1.0 allows you to read books in landscape

Trampas wrote: »
    Kindle Touch fireware 5.1.0 allows you to read books in landscape
    don't get me wrong, that is good news, but how's it relevant to the current conversion? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Brian017

It's a thread about kindles. I would've thought mentioning new features that some people mightn't know about would be very relevant to a thread like this.

Brian017 wrote: »
    It's a thread about kindles. I would've thought mentioning new features that some people mightn't know about would be very relevant to a thread like this.
    you didn't read the OP then? it's a thread about someone having a specific problem with a kindle and not even a kindle touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Brian017

vibe666 wrote: »
    you didn't read the OP then? it's a thread about someone having a specific problem with a kindle and not even a kindle touch.

Have you? I went back to the first post and it is about a Touch (since the mods merged 2 threads together). The mods must be happy to for us to discuss the whole Kindle family in this one thread.

Anyway, we're derailing the thread a bit. If you have a problem with a post take it up with a mod

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

vibe666 wrote: »

If you actually read the thread you will see that it evolved beyond the OP and has nothing whatsoever to do with it any more. The OP was answered in the first reply, he bought a kindle, thread moved on, it isn't even just one thread...

Brian017 wrote: »
    Have you? I went back to the first post and it is about a Touch (since the mods merged 2 threads together). The mods must be happy to for us to discuss the whole Kindle family in this one thread.
    If you actually read the thread you will see that it evolved beyond the OP and has nothing whatsoever to do with it any more. The OP was answered in the first reply, he bought a kindle, thread moved on, it isn't even just one thread...
    i hadn't noticed that the mods had merged the two threads, although i'm on both threads the post that is now no.301 in this thread was the OP to the one i was replying to.

apologies anyway, it's been a busy day and i just didn't notice, so my bad entirely. :o

have some free 'thanks' and no hard feelings. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

YES, all worth it for the thanks :D

YES, all worth it for the thanks :D
    here, have anudder! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Download Calibre - Type in the book you want - and it gives you lots of different options to buy.
    Once downloaded you can convert to mobi format if you choose not to buy from amazon and copy onto the Kindle.

I'm still a bit confused about the DRM thing. I'm going to pick up a Kindle tomorrow (provided they're in stock), and downloaded Calibre tonight. Searched for a random book in Calibre, and it came up with a number of different options. One of those was an ePub version from Waterstones, that was DRM locked.

If I buy that version, in ePub, with the DRM locking, and use Calibre to put it on my new Kindle (which will presumably be locked to Amazon.com), will it work?

Waterstones says it sells to UK and IE customers (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/pages/help-ebooks-territory/200001269/), and my understanding is that the DRM only prevents copying, not region locking - is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Can you read the book you bought from Waterstones on your Kindle. I just tried it. Its on my Calibre library but it wont send to my Kindle. It says cannot convert book because no suitable source format found. Anyone have any idea how I can get around this.

i'm fairly sure you can remove the DRM from ebooks, but i'm also fairly sure we're not allowed to discuss removing copy protection from stuff on boards.ie so i'll have to leave it there i'm afraid, but i'm sure google would be forthcoming with an answer for you if you were to look. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

HI,
    So im fairly certain that the screen on my kindle is broken. Just wondering if i was to get it fixed or even changed is there any chance of keepin my books i already have on it?

galway23 wrote: »
    HI,
    So im fairly certain that the screen on my kindle is broken. Just wondering if i was to get it fixed or even changed is there any chance of keepin my books i already have on it?

If you bought them from Amazon, then yes, you can reload them on your new kindle. If you bought them elsewhere then hopefully they're on the hard drive of your computer, in which case you'll be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Good chance no problem with you books - connect via usb to you pc- books are stored in the 'documents' folder - copy to you pc to back up.

Contact amazon via phone to see if they will replace the kindle under warranty.

happened to me once..not nice!

if you bought all the books via amazon, they'll all be re-downloaded as soon as you power on the new kindle once it's registered and connected to wifi or 3g.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You can have up to 5 devices registered to the one Amazon account each of which can have a copy of one of your purchased books. So for example I've got a copy of my current book on my Kindle and on my phone (via the Kindle app) to switch between. I could also register an additional Kindle to this account which could use the same library of books.

All the books themselves are stored on the Amazon "cloud", allowing you to pull them down again if required up to the limit of five.

• Advertisement

i actually bought a kindle touch for my dad from amazon.com last xmas (via a US shipping service before their release here) and it looks like amazon pre-registered it to my account somehow.

even though my dad has his own account and registered his kindle with it (and another for my stepmum which he bought himself for her for xmas), every time he buys a book it gets downloaded to my 2 kindles (a Kindle 3 & Kindle Fire) as well for some reason, so it still seems to be linked to my own amazon account as well as his. :)

he doesn't get my amazon purchased books though, so it must just be some kind of one way glitch, but i'm not complaining since i get free books out of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Hi

Wondering if anyone has seen any more on the recent rumours of new models in UK for July
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a381789/new-amazon-kindle-rumoured-for-july.html

Thus wondering if you think Kindle will reduce prices on current models during June as a result?

Cheers
    Redman

I wouldn't count on it, but have nothing but gut feeling to base that on - someone else may come up with something a bit more scientific.

If you look at the price points for their current range (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eReader-eBook-Reader-e-Reader-Special-Offers/), there's a gap in the range between $149 and $199, so they could do something like keep the current prices static, and the "with light" version is $20/30 more.

There was also a bit of a gap between the Touch coming out, and being available here, so even if it comes out in the US in July, it could be a few months before it's available elsewhere.

that link doesn't mention new models for the UK, just rumours of a new model being released (which knowing reuters will mean released in the US) which is basically the same as the current models, but with a light on it.

even if they did, it's unlikely they will reduce prices for current models, just add a bit more for a model with a light that basically does the same as any €2 book light.

i imagine if kindle fire sales are in decline in the US, they will release it globally to bolster their sales figures before they start thinking about releasing other new models anywhere.

either way, i doubt there is going to be any significant price drop in europe for any kindles any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Cheers for replys, the Amazon.com price seemed quite high so I went with Argos and got the Touch for €129

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I tried the sample feature on my kindle whilst on the road recently, quite handy. I got the Rough Guides to Canada and Ireland. The Irish version has some choices words about the 'imported tat' on our commercial TV stations. :D Anyway, the samples seemed to be quite generous. You could take away a good idea of the place to go and see, transport, things to do, etc, etc from both the Canada and Ireland books. Wonder if the samples are as generous for mainstream/fiction books.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

I order samples of books frequently. Sometimes there are lots of introduction pages with reviews etc and you end up with a very small sample of the actual book and other times, with less of the intro material, you get more. As the samples are free, just go ahead and order a few and if you hate it you can 'delete this sample' and it will be gone from your Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Hi All,

Quick question in relation to the kindle fire. I bought a kindle for my parents a couple of months ago and the main thing my parents like to read on it is the Irish times. So I was in the states last week and picked up a kindle fire for them also so that they both have something to read on. We have set them up so that both kindles are on the same account. However while all the books that have already been purchased from amazon (with the old kindle keyboard) are now coming up on the kindle fire we have been unable to download the Irish times onto the fire. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the irish times on the Kindle fire? We have paid a monthly subscription for it on amazon on the kindle keyboard.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Your_Song

Can anyone tell me what newspapers are Like to read on the kindle?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Your_Song wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what newspapers are Like to read on the kindle?

Most have a 2 week free trial so try one. The Irish Times is good on Kindle

Advertisement