Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Apologies if this has been asked and answered - but this is a reallllllllly long thread, so in my skimming I possibly missed it....

anyway, got my kindle touch in Tesco. Downloaded a few books, no prob, but then a few I wanted were only available to UK customers. So I deregistered my normal amazon account and set up a new Amazon account with my company work address in the UK. I was then allowed to download a few more books. Grand and dandy I thought.....

but now when I try to buy some books I am being told that I am not in the location registered on my account. So I am assuming that via some technological magic like IP address or something they know I am accessing via wi-fi outside the UK. What can I do about this? And if I am on holiday and access wifi how can I download a book?

I thought this was just on the free books, but it has since happened on a priced book also?

whats the gig with this and how do I get around it?
    ta

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Anyone know where I can get a Usb cable for a kindle in Dublin? My mum has one and shes lost the cable, I want to get one for her in town by Friday - preferably cheap!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Isn't just a Micro USB regular cable you can get them anywhere. Try a €2 shop. That said its worth getting a half decent cable, I find cheap USB cables don't last that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BostonB wrote: »
    Isn't just a Micro USB regular cable you can get them anywhere. Try a €2 shop. That said its worth getting a half decent cable, I find cheap USB cables don't last that long.
    yup. most modern mobile phone chargers are microUSB now as well and they work perfectly fine for charging kindle (and faster than a usb port from a PC).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Hi guys just a quick question. Couldn't find it in the thread. If I have no computer can I download to the kindle direct or do I need to download to a computer and transfer over? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You can download directly to the Kindle. Depending on the version either over 3G or WiFi.

It's a whole lot easier to search for books using a PC browser, but when you find books you don't actually need to plug the Kindle into the PC, just set it to download the next time you turn on the Kindle and connect to WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Little Ted wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked and answered - but this is a reallllllllly long thread, so in my skimming I possibly missed it....

anyway, got my kindle touch in Tesco. Downloaded a few books, no prob, but then a few I wanted were only available to UK customers. So I deregistered my normal amazon account and set up a new Amazon account with my company work address in the UK. I was then allowed to download a few more books. Grand and dandy I thought.....

but now when I try to buy some books I am being told that I am not in the location registered on my account. So I am assuming that via some technological magic like IP address or something they know I am accessing via wi-fi outside the UK. What can I do about this? And if I am on holiday and access wifi how can I download a book?

I thought this was just on the free books, but it has since happened on a priced book also?

whats the gig with this and how do I get around it?
    ta

The address on your credit card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Antibac wrote: »
    Hi guys just a quick question. Couldn't find it in the thread. If I have no computer can I download to the kindle direct or do I need to download to a computer and transfer over? Thanks

No. You can browse Amazon, and buy and download direct to your Kindle if it has wifi.

The advantages of having a PC are that you can back up your eBooks in case Amazon starts playing nasty with your account. Also you can strip DRM with 'Calibre' and make sure you can read the eBooks you have bought on other devices if you buy one (Kobo, iPhone, iPad, Nexus etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-hands-on/

amazonkindlepaperwhitelead01.jpg

Only have my kindle touch a month and a half and I'm already chomping at the bit to get one of these *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The curse of the tech junky, they always tempt you something better once they get their filthy mitts into you.

I just logged onto Amazon to check out a book and was greated by a letter from Jeff Bezos announcing the new Kindle Fire 8.9" HD, Fire Hd and the Paperwhite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

Only have my kindle touch a month and a half and I'm already chomping at the bit to get one of these *sigh*

Which one is this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Brian017

lil_tuts wrote: »
    Which one is this ?

The new paperwhite. Better contrast, sharper text and a built in light. US only for the moment though. Ireland hasn't got a release date

Sounds Nice i bought insurance with mine so I can upgrade when that comes out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kindling

So here's my question/s
    I would very much like to purchase the 5th generation kindle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007HCCOD0/ref=famstripe_ks)
    But before hand I must make sure it's worth my while
    All I have is a laser card, therefore what would be my best payment option for ebooks from Amazon.co.uk? apart from using my brother's credit card.
    And what is the story with downloading ebooks in Ireland?? I read in this thread that many people have had difficulty with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

kindling wrote: »
    So here's my question/s
    I would very much like to purchase the 5th generation kindle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007HCCOD0/ref=famstripe_ks)
    But before hand I must make sure it's worth my while
    All I have is a laser card, therefore what would be my best payment option for ebooks from Amazon.co.uk? apart from using my brother's credit card.
    And what is the story with downloading ebooks in Ireland?? I read in this thread that many people have had difficulty with this?

Irish customers can only buy books from Amazon.com.

One option is to give your brother x amount of money and ask him to buy you an Amazon voucher to that value, then you can use that up over a period of time, rather than asking for his card each time you want to buy a book.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That looks great, want!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Burgundy !

do anyone know a company i could use to get a kindle paperwhite over here ? they look great

do anyone know a company i could use to get a kindle paperwhite over here ? they look great

You should be able to get it from amazon.com when its released ?

no I've been on to amazon and they wont ship internationally so i was wondering are there any forwarding services or something i could use to get it before December

no I've been on to amazon and they wont ship internationally so i was wondering are there any forwarding services or something i could use to get it before December

They do ship international you just need to go to another page for the International Kindles, like this :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HCCOD0?country=IE

Has to be Amazon.com though not .co.uk

• Advertisement

They do ship international you just need to go to another page for the International Kindles, like this :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HCCOD0?country=IE

Has to be Amazon.com though not .co.uk

That's not the Paperwhite though like he's looking for.

no its not but the paperwhite isnt availble yet, when it is you can order it for international delivery on Amazon.com ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no its not but the paperwhite isnt availble yet, when it is you can order it for international delivery on Amazon.com ....

nope

pretty sure amazon are only selling the paperwhite in the states in 2012 (well, and a few choice international markets) the rest of us plebs have to wait until 2013 to get it

nope

pretty sure amazon are only selling the paperwhite in the states in 2012 (well, and a few choice international markets) the rest of us plebs have to wait until 2013 to get it

yeah that's what they've told me so what i'm asking are there any forwarding companies i could use like the site myus stated at the start of the forum that don't charge a lot or a site that's trustworthy :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A single use code for getting £10 off a Kindle Touch before 2nd October:

7PJV-D7Y8SG-PXMAGV

First come first served, but let us know if you have used it. It might only work on Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5 philcheetham

apologies if this has been answered before. Long thread and just looking for a quick and simple answer (which i am sure has been answered).

put simply - bought my kindle in Ireland. Are all books available to ireland or do i need to do anything else. I am living in ireland. heard about problems getting books.

any help would be great

is it worth the money for 3g ?

is it worth the money for 3g ?

If you do a lot of travelling and are out of wifi spots a lot maybe it'd be worth it.

I still wouldn't bother though you could always load it up with books before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

put simply - bought my kindle in Ireland. Are all books available to ireland or do i need to do anything else. I am living in ireland. heard about problems getting books.

By default, you'll purchase your books through Amazon.com (not Amazon.co.uk). Because of this there may be certain UK/Irish interest books that you can't buy (as they're not released internationally), and you might come across the odd one on the US site that is for US customers only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i used viaddress.com to get a kindle fire and a kindle touch last november when they were launched in the US and had no problems, although i did get them to 'repack' the kindles inside the box of a large children's toy so i didn't get caught with customs for them, although obviously i wouldn't advocate that anyone else do that kind of thing as it would be illegal. :)

Advertisement