Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Naturally there has been in the past, whether they were useful to the job or not but no doubt there will be plenty more this time round, especially with degrees that are useful to the job, like in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AaronMul1

It says the Garda Siochana does not endorse or recognise any private courses that promise better chances to a career in An Garda Siochana. Now i cannot link it but i am certain i seen it someplace. Those courses are all about people jumping on the bandwagon and using peoples interest in this job to make a bit of scratch. I wouldnt bother doing one for them prices especially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Naturally there has been in the past, whether they were useful to the job or not but no doubt there will be plenty more this time round, especially with degrees that are useful to the job, like in my case.

I can imagine. I have a degree and higher diploma that would both feed well but I doubt that i would pass other aspects

AaronMul1 wrote: »
    It says the Garda Siochana does not endorse or recognise any private courses that promise better chances to a career in An Garda Siochana. Now i cannot link it but i am certain i seen it someplace. Those courses are all about people jumping on the bandwagon and using peoples interest in this job to make a bit of scratch. I wouldnt bother doing one for them prices especially

Damn, and here's me thinking my degree in a forensics field would have been useful to the Gardai!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Damn, and here's me thinking my degree in a forensics field would have been useful to the Gardai!

Where you do that course ???

• Advertisement

There's apparently a good one in Wales

3fullback wrote: »
    Where you do that course ???

Are you asking where I did it or where can you do it?
    There is a number of IT's and Uni's that offer degrees in the various forms of forensics in the country, just google it ! :)

if you had looked at the rest of the thread you would have known that i meant the "Diploma in Policing" and all that other muck that small colleges are spouting out. Maybe you should stick to forensics

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

Between what those small colleges are offering and 'experts' helping candidates with aptitude tests and interviews there is a lot of money being made by a lot of people on this recruitment process

Maybe you should stick to forensics

Great attitude there, for a cop

• Advertisement

Apologies Aron, while myself and Norrie were talking about degrees, i misunderstood your post as being aimed at those of us applying with useful nationally recognised qualifications.
    Also you have a píss poor attitude mate, you would want to learn to cover that up a bit!

Actually i won't bother getting into this. I'll not feed the trolls

Anybody have any idea how many gardai took the offer of the 3 year break for 30k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

D Trent wrote: »
    Hi devil as someone who has been thru Garda interviews before wat have you been doing to increase your chances for this campaign.
    And in case anyone thinks this a smart comment r anything it's not its just a genuine comment I'm interested as this is my first campaign to apply

Same as last time when I passed it. Practise the tests as much as you can and learn your answers for the interview off by heart!! Remember, you get the questions beforehand! You get a form to fill out with different scenarios you need to apply to your life experience then they grill you on it. And then a few extra questions thrown in to put you off. I try not to over prepare though, just relax and take it as it comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

Silly question but anyways are we informed of being successful or not in the aptitude tests last month anytime soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Silly question but anyways are we informed of being successful or not in the aptitude tests last month anytime soon?

End of the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    End of the month

Thank you, couldnt seem to find anything on the net to confirm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    End of the month

If it's all done by computer I don't see the point in holding people in suspense.

I would much rather know my fate now. Surely even after the test I could have been told had they set a bench mark.

On the farcical side this waiting one month business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

msg11 wrote: »
    If it's all done by computer I don't see the point in holding people in suspense.

I would much rather know my fate now. Surely even after the test I could have been told had they set a bench mark.

On the farcical side this waiting one month business.

I'm sure there is a legitimate reason, they aren't doing it for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Devil08 wrote: »
    Everything is weighed up at interview stage. All your experience and qualifications will count for something just like any other job. So yes having relevant degrees or diplomas will look good. But it won't count for a whole lot. I wouldn't be doing a policing course to boost my chances because in end it would weigh very little in whole scheme of things. I've been through the interview before and they grill you. Your answers to their questions is what they will pass u on. And how you cope under the pressure of their grilling!

I have to respectfully disagree on this one. I think it absolutely counts. Firstly your competencies change. You can include college work. I know in some forensic courses that they train you for court. You can talk about all these things. You will know the court system, first responding officers, evident preservation etc. These are all things that will stand to you and help you in the role. Yes you have to be able to communicate these things in the interview, but if you have training that will stand to you in the role then what better is there, then to talk about all those things. Doing the policing diploma might help you with job if its legit that is. It certainly would not hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

thestar wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea how many gardai took the offer of the 3 year break for 30k?

This was never offered to gardai.

This was never offered to gardai.

Well it was offered and I know 2 Gardai that did leave for the 3 years but were not sure if they would get paid or not. They do have a job to come back to aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

They took an unpaid career break. The incentivised career break which you refer to (30k) was supposed to be coming in, but never did.

Stage 2 here I come baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Murphster

Does anyone know the timetable i.e. date of test and results, interview and result etc. And when the first class is due in Templemore?

Murphster wrote: »
    Does anyone know the timetable i.e. date of test and results, interview and result etc. And when the first class is due in Templemore?

results for stage 2 is in march, and the rest of the stuff you could give them a call and see what they could tell you, they plan the first class for around june/july i would say, since they did say "mid 2014"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

results for stage 2 is in march, and the rest of the stuff you could give them a call and see what they could tell you, they plan the first class for around june/july i would say, since they did say "mid 2014"

How did u do in stage 1 Aaron?

How did u do in stage 1 Aaron?

I got in the top 100 of band 1, yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I got in the top 100 of band 1, yourself?

Gud on you bud, came in band 1 in the 2000's

• Advertisement

Gud on you bud, came in band 1 in the 2000's

Fair play, hopefully stage 2 goes well for us!

Advertisement