Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another series of 'Arrested Development'... and a movie!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

That
    to catch a predator episode was hilarious
    . I love Tobias!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 i dont beliieve it

I really enjoyed the fourth series right up to the George Michael episode. I think he was really out of character especially
    the whole story of him having a relationship with rebel alley
    That was way off for me as we are used to him being with Ann Veal, a very plain, "bland" person from earlier seasons. This just wasn't funny, the whole reason he was with Ann was for the humour, what humour could be derived from this? I know it all came around to himself and his father being like twins but I didn't find it amusing at all. I must have missed something because for me it just did not seem right at all, could not find anything funny from this relationship. Can someone please explain this to me

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Finally finished season 4; good overall, especially the GOB and Tobias episodes. But I can't get the tune "getaway, getaway" out of my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I really struggled with the first half like most people did, but the second half was very enjoyable and will improve on a second watch. On thoe whole I really did enjoy it. George Snr. and Lindsay should really have only had one episode although I did enjoy Terry Crews. Buster's episode was my favourite, but then again I just love Buster so it was hard at times with his limited appearances in the other episodes. I spent that whole episode in stitches :pac:

GOB and Tobias were the other hits. I think we just had our eyes opened to what Michael had really been like in the first 3 seasons, although I didn't realise HOW much of a pr!ck he could be
    in actually hoping his son broke up with Rebel and his constant lies
    . However Isla Fisher as Rebel Alley was the greatest surprise, my god she is some woman ;)

I didn't mind George Michael's story ok it was basically
    Mark Zuckerburg with an AD twist
    but it was pretty clever.

I guess I better spoiler my thoughts on the ending.
    I really liked it as I guess if there has been one main plot in the whole series it is Michael and George Michael's relationship. It was VERY different to the other 3 seasons but I'm excited for the next season now and they'll have learned a lot from how this season has gone. The song that was playing over GM punching Michael was very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mrkite77 wrote: »
    The guy who repeatedly ignored what his son wanted? The guy who dated a mentally disabled woman without realizing it? The guy who hit a woman in the face with a bible?

Michael has always been a selfish oblivious moron. It was just more subtle in seasons 1-3.

Ah the bible thing was an accident to be fair; yes he could be oblivious, but his intentions were well-meaning and seemed to have most peoples' best interests at heart - particularly his sons'. In season 4, he just came across as a bit too self-absorbed & a total buffoon. I wonder if perhaps without the presence of a family / business crisis to take charge of, the writers didn't know what to do with Michael.

I agree about George Michael though; his character was completely out of sync with the person we knew from series 1-3. A bit of sex in college & suddenly he was a different person? Hmm, a touch too glib & his relationship with Rebel was equally unbelievable. Of course, I'm sure the fact Michael Cera was a producer on this new series had nothing to do with this off-kilter transformation of George Michael into a big cheese :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Can't believe the bad rap Micheal is getting, i'd step over my own mother to get at Isla Fisher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I don't really like the way the story is inter-twined to be honest. It isn't particularly clever or funny. There are constant references to other episodes but they are pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Best part for me was
    SAME!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Grimebox wrote: »
    I don't really like the way the story is inter-twined to be honest. It isn't particularly clever or funny. There are constant references to other episodes but they are pointless

Thats the point, its the same plot, told from the POV of each character. Some of the coincidental occurrences are daft, but thats what makes the show hilarious.

miralize wrote: »
    Thats the point, its the same plot, told from the POV of each character. Some of the coincidental occurrences are daft, but thats what makes the show hilarious.

The amount of times you see another character running by with no allusion to what they might be doing is irritating. You know you will find out later but so what? Its just a pointless distraction

• Advertisement

Finished the series on Saturday and quite enjoyed it. It certainly picked up as it went along but much as I liked what I saw, I couldn't but feel that it was a missed opportunity. The GOB and Buster episodes were by far the highlight and the Tony Wonder story-line was the most enjoyable, it was nice to see GOB come across so humane. He seemed to morph into the Michael of old and there was a warmness to his later episodes that the series lacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The episode with GOB and the Justin Bieber type singer is brilliant. Easily the best episode of the series, for me. GOB is just such a ridiculous individual.

The episode with GOB and the Justin Bieber type singer is brilliant. Easily the best episode of the series, for me. GOB is just such a ridiculous individual.

I love how naive Gob is when he hears the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Same he's singing and dancing along with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

http://www.nndb.com/people/554/000091281/
    He was booked on a sex perversion charge along with Perfecto Telles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The first few episodes were a slog, but honestly, by the time I got to the end, I was all in, and I'm hugely looking forward to a rewatch. The whole thing started to change once everything started to slot together, and I feel like those earlier episodes will be very different armed with more information.

I also found myself getting unexpectedly invested in GOB and Tony Wonder's story. Which was... odd.

I do feel the ending was a bit... eh, though, which was disappointing.

Agreed Jill I just finished it last night and the ending was a bit disappointing. I mean they HAVE to have a movie or something now after that ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Anyone fancy a trip to the Method One acting clinic?

Count me in, I'm getting low on acting juice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Got very mixed reviews from critics, and alot of fans are saying its patchy at best. Shoulda left it dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Shoulda left it dead.

I don't think they should have left it dead, but I do think that more seasons is a bad idea. A movie to finish things is enough, I'd hate to see Arrested Development: The zombie seasons. Because that's the way things will turn out if they make more episodes in this format.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Got very mixed reviews from critics, and alot of fans are saying its patchy at best. Shoulda left it dead.

Nonsense. I enjoyed it. Who cares what the critics say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

lertsnim wrote: »
    Nonsense. I enjoyed it. Who cares what the critics say.

Mixed reviews from fans too! They should have done a 4th but done it better :-P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What, fans like people in this thread? We know it has divided opinion, sure we've been talking about the show right here :) I take it you haven't partook in the new series?

The new series is flawed in places, but the wit is still there, even if the belly laughs aren't.

Maybe some day you will start watching shows rather than write them off because some reviewer didn't like it. You seem to base your every opinion on whatever the trend amongst reviewers is, if they don't like a show you don't bother to give it a chance but simply post the opinion of others as if it were fact.

Season 4 took a long time to get going and overall it was quite poor but the latter episodes were very good and it's clear that this series was little more than the prologue to something bigger. I for one an looking forward to where the story goes next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think it's been pretty solid. Not perfect, but very funny in places. I think saying it's "patchy at best" is very harsh, and not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I liked it, it was slow to kick in but from Gob's episode onwards the laughs got more frequent, I thought.

One of my favourite bits was when Lucille was in prison and was about to be stabbed by a noodle shank before she threw hot water on it :D

Was flawed and took too long to kick off but, ultimately, I was happy with the season and wasn't really that disappointed with it.

Needed more Gob, though, much more Gob...............................Hello darkness, my old friend..............

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I liked it, it was slow to kick in but from Gob's episode onwards the laughs got more frequent, I thought.

One of my favourite bits was when Lucille was in prison and was about to be stabbed by a noodle shank before she threw hot water on it :D

Was flawed and took too long to kick off but, ultimately, I was happy with the season and wasn't really that disappointed with it.

Needed more Gob, though, much more Gob...............................Hello darkness, my old friend..............

Same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

I enjoyed it. Like a lot of others here I thought the episodes towards the end of the season were especially really good; I'm not sure if this is because of better scripts and stories, or just because things came together from the previous episodes and fit into place.

My favourite part:
    Tobias having to tell everyone he meets that he's a registered sex offender. When the group of kids walk past and he has to keep repeating it was brilliant!

• Advertisement

You ever even watched the show you piece of sh*t?

Advertisement