Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another series of 'Arrested Development'... and a movie!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'm going to go seemingly against the grain here and say after 5 episodes I'm really enjoying it. 3 was the worst but that's probably because
    Lindsay isn't as interesting a character when given her own story, much better like Lucile at being the completely removed from reality person who Michael bounces jokes off.
    . The thing with the
    duck
    had me in stitches though.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I think Gob's second episode (Episode 11) is even funnier than his first and the best so far (I've only seen up until 11 though :D) - it might just be me, but that was the first episode that actually kind of felt like the old series. It's been gathering momentum nicely over the past few episodes.

People have commented on how much Portia and Alia Shawkat (Maeby) have changed but what about
    The guy playing Steve Holt /o\:eek:

Lucille episode:
    Just realised that the dude dressed as a Chinese lady (Chinese triad gang in Lucille's prison) is Annyong

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Remember who to thank people....
    iFF2iwM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Watched all 15 today. I liked the majority of the episodes but like others have said particularly GOBs and Tobias episodes. Lindsey was never an enjoyable character on the show.
    The running gag about how many places Tobias broke his skill in was similar to the gags of old

Living in Phoenix, I found it strange when they had a shot of outside Phoenix Airport and had the Sky Harbor Airport sign with the Phoenix city emblem on it. But a few shots before you could see a shuttle bus with Bob Hope written on the side. Bob Hope Airport is in Burbank California. Phoenix is pretty close to LA, I'm suprized they didn't shoot it at the actual Sky Harbor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I assume I'm not the only one who saw the watermark whenever they showed a flashback from one of the previous seasons? Flashback suggesting they used a trial version of a video ripping software? That was pretty f'in incredibly amateurish.

The software is called "showstealer pro". Pretty sure it was intentional ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the 'showstealer pro' was a sight-gag, it wasn't an accident by Netflix :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Finished the season, I thought it was great. I think it's a bit unfair to compare it to the previous 3 seasons that people have seen multiple times.

There were a *ton* of jokes and references that you'll only get with repeated viewings.

Here's an example:
    Pastor Veal and Father Marsala

Here's another:
    Tobias' choices for in-flight movie are: Fantastic Four, Junk, Homeless Dad, and Love, Indubitably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Reminds me a lot of 'The Thick of It' season 4. That came back after fairly long break too.. and now that I think of it also did the same character based episode thing. It also felt like they'd lost it.. jokes coming out too forced and stale.. actors not really fitting back in to who they were.. and generally being over the top zany for no particular reason.

As someone else said too the music seems very off in this series.. too prominent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I kept my expectations somewhat low. It was never going to live up the nostalgic hype that I had built up for it. With that said I am enjoying it. I don't like the character-per-episode format as I get tired of constantly seeing the same character. Dreadful decision imo. I was worried they would all look old and out of place but only Lindsay looks very different, and then there is Steve Holt which is hilarious how different he looks. I'm already missing jokes so I can really see this getting better as I get further into it and with repeated viewings (Only finished ep 4).

Time to unsubscribe from this thread till I'm finished I think. There's nothing worse than someone else's negative attitude clouding my mind and affecting my opinion. Best to not be overcritical on this, it was never going to live up to the hype :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Watched the first three, don't like the character centric setup either it was much better when they interacted with each other more and they all had their own storylines every episode. But as was already said people's shooting schedules may have meant doing it that way was impossible. It's ok so far, not overly hilarious but definitely had a few laughs, some nice references to the older episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

krudler wrote: »
    Watched the first three, don't like the character centric setup either it was much better when they interacted with each other more and they all had their own storylines every episode. But as was already said people's shooting schedules may have meant doing it that way was impossible. It's ok so far, not overly hilarious but definitely had a few laughs, some nice references to the older episodes.

Frankly I don't give a sh!t about their working schedules if it means they are ****ing up the show

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I honestly think its good and really,does improve as the last episode nears. The Tobias and Gob stuff being top notch but I also enjoyed the others.
    The show does suffer from a lack of family interactions but it is countered by a surprising amount of side characters showing up, The B Team being a great example.
    Buster really isn't in though and I remember reading he was one of those most wary of doing season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Grimebox wrote: »
    Frankly I don't give a sh!t about their working schedules if it means they are ****ing up the show

Good point, either do it right or not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Every episode after 7 is really, really good. And everything is coming together. It is actually quite genius. I love ep. 10! I needed to see more of Lucille!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would suggest the 'character episodes' are a much more suitable fit for Netflix than just an unadapted emulation of the first three seasons would have been. You can just throw up a show that's just like a standard TV show, but more interestingly will be how more creative forces will adapt the 'instant' structure of Netflix to formally experiment a bit. On traditional TV, most have to operate with the knowledge there'll be a week gap between episodes, and even great shows struggle utilising their whole ensemble week after week. Audiences can feel hard done by when there's episodes not directly focused on advancing the main narrative or relegating interesting material to the sidelines.

The delivery structure of Netflix, though, means the next episode is not even a click away, which theoretically should give many creators a chance to experiment with their storytelling and characters more effectively - and without strict broadcast hours. If you have a neat little subplot for a character, why not a ten minute episode that doesn't mess with the pacing of a different one?

Arrested Development is a great ensemble comedy, so there's the argument it was perhaps not the show to kickstart this experiment (and there's a few hangovers that assume most will be taking big gaps between episodes). But unlike House of Cards, it shows more willingness (if a schedule mandated willingness) to embrace its unique form. Hopefully that spirit will be adapted and improved upon by subsequent Netflix Originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭D3sperado

I didn't really enjoy the first couple of episodes, but they have definitely picked up and the last one i've watched so far was Gob's which i thought was fantastic
    the Entourage parody was very clever, particularly the club called "and Jeremy Piven"

I really like that they have tried something different with the format, it's like a 7 hour movie and there are so many interconnected threads running through the episodes that its likely that the earlier episodes will be better on a second viewing.

That said, the character centric formula obviously falls down when the focus is on one of the weaker characters like Lindsay.

Some of their best moments
    such as the watermark on the old clips and the fact that they used how different Steve Holt looks as a joke by not having Gob recognise him
    shows that they haven't lost their touch at doing very clever comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

It ends on a high note I think, although also an ambiguous one. I definitely agree that it gets better as it goes along but for AD reruns I don't see myself rewatching S4 unless it's just the GOB episodes. Humour is definitely playing second fiddle to plot. Given that it's an extended movie prelude I think it could have been much shorter. Looking forward to that movie though.

The Maebe episode was the lowpoint for me. Too much back and forth in that one to properly enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Three episodes in and I'm struggling through them :(

Some reviews are coming in. Slightly relieved to see I'm not the only one who found it tedious. The plot is so overwrought that the quickfire wit of the old series is completely lost. Surprised to see so many people saying that this is better than S3, S3 was nowhere near as drawn out and repetitive as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

snausages wrote: »
    Some reviews are coming in. Slightly relieved to see I'm not the only one who found it tedious. The plot is so overwrought that the quickfire wit of the old series is completely lost. Surprised to see so many people saying that this is better than S3, S3 was nowhere near as drawn out and repetitive as this.

Yes, but in the 13 eps it had to work with, it wasted half in tedious, cringe-inducing plot about a fake UK and Rita.

I'm digging S4 so far, it's rife with the flash-forwards/backs, jokes-a-minute and delicate, mechanical plotting that buoyed the original run.

Granted, the character-eps format means that the entire run maneuvers everyone into the same place over the course of the season, instead over just one ep as was the case with S1-3. A result of scheduling conflicts and the demands that places on the format, of course, but I'm guessing the true dividends are coming with the movie, when we've got the entire crew to play off each other for extended periods.

Still, for a prelude, I feel like I've gotten a fine return on investment, and I'm only three-quarters of the way through.

Also, there's been a couple of five-star lines so far.
    Tobias- Boy, you look like I feel.

GOB-........Gay?

GOB- It'll be our nest, Egg...Ann

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Yes, but in the 13 eps it had to work with, it wasted half in tedious, cringe-inducing plot about a fake UK and Rita.

I've never quite understood what was meant to be so bad about that plotline. It seems almost a basic truism amongst fans to say that that was the moment when AD when 'bad', but I've never seen it that way. It's definitely a shark-jumping moment but it's nowhere near as tedious as the wall plot in season 4 or Oscar and George Sr's sweat lodge or the dorm room stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I was really surprised at the hate for S3 as well. I still burst my sh*t laughing whenever "For British Eyes Only" or "Mr. F" play in the background.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gave up half way through episode 5. Might come back to it later, but so far it's pretty terrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, how about that; I appear to have turned off Netflix midway through the 8th episode - I never did that before with Arrested Development! I really can't watch this more than one or two episodes at a time - the padding in them so far really makes the time crawl by. The lustre is definitely beginning to wear off a little.

Oh and whoever did the audio mix at Netflix should be shot; some of the dialogue is unintelligible, be it drowned out by the (ambient) music or simply because it's mumbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I was really surprised at the hate for S3 as well. I still burst my sh*t laughing whenever "For British Eyes Only" or "Mr. F" play in the background.

Don't forget "Could this be the work of the Itsy Bitsy IRA?"
    Probably my favorite line of the whole show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmm, how about that; I appear to have turned off Netflix midway through the 8th episode - I never did that before with Arrested Development! I really can't watch this more than one or two episodes at a time - the padding in them so far really makes the time crawl by. The lustre is definitely beginning to wear off a little.

Oh and whoever did the audio mix at Netflix should be shot; some of the dialogue is unintelligible, be it drowned out by the (ambient) music or simply because it's mumbled.

how anyone can not notice the background music totally drowning out the dialogue is insane! wtf are rhey thinking, i dont think ive ever seen that in any series ever. that alone would ruin the whole

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Just finished Episode 5, all isn't well :(

Watched up until the fabled seventh episode. Thought the Tobias one was good fun, the George Sr. a bit meh but the Gob one had some genuinely excellent comic setpieces. The
    wedding
    was superbly staged. That said, it's also the most obvious episode yet to suffer from 'not in same room' syndrome. The
    Tony Wonder
    bits are particularly absurd in that regard, and in the aforementioned scene it's extremely obvious Tobias isn't there for the entirety. Also:
    John Ralfio! Terence Malick and MSTK3K gags, plus a sly dig at the ****ty recent Spiderman film! A really strange looking Steve Holt!

Even though I thought it was a lot of fun, definitely feel that episode could have been cut in half, like a couple so far. I think Arrested Development functions better at a breakneck, gag-a-second speed and there's definitely a clunkiness here. I still think there's a lot to like, but as I said above I'd love if they had have embraced the fact that they're not tied to the 22 minute running time, and actually scaled back and forward as appropriate, rather than a nearly half hour minimum. Larry David can manage it with his controlled, slow-burning humour. Arrested Development needs to be in a constant sprint.

Not significant enough to majorly impact my enjoyment of it, but definitely don't think this is a season that would benefit from binging. I'm enjoying tackling it at my own pace, and will probably stick with one or two a night from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Absolutely loved the 2nd Tobias and 1st Gob episodes. So funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just finished episode 10... There were a few slow ones in the beginning (although I still felt they were good), but really think it has hit its stride in the past few episodes... From the Gob episode (think its episode 7) onwards thought they've been especially good and love how everything is coming together now. It's really clever.

Advertisement