Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another series of 'Arrested Development'... and a movie!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

You ever even watched the show you piece of sh*t?

The sheer anger made me laugh but I doubt that name calling will go down well. Worth it though.

And I just now realised it was a quote from this season, flip.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Agreed Jill I just finished it last night and the ending was a bit disappointing. I mean they HAVE to have a movie or something now after that ending.

I thought the movie Michael was making during the episodes would turn into the actual movie after this, I wonder :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So, did anyone try and watch the episodes out of order? Having seen the full season now, I don't think you could really do that the whole way through, especially with the last episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

You ever even watched the show you piece of sh*t?

It's hilarious how offended people get when someone insults a TV show/movie/band that they love

Grimebox wrote: »
    It's hilarious how offended people get when someone insults a TV show/movie/band that they love

I'm pretty sure that he was having a laugh and using a line from the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

oh :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, it's pretty vague & taken out of (a lot of) context; it did read like a blatant insult to me on first blush :)

Finished it and yeah, thought the ending was pretty poor, was looking forward to way more of a pay-off. I'll stick with mt earlier criticism that it needed more editing and trimming. GOB was by far the highlight of the entire series, perhaps unsurprisingly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally got around to finishing it, and what a deeply peculiar conclusion. I could have sworn I was on the second to last episode, so I was particularly caught off guard when it all ended with a... Let's call it a punchline... and then that was it. No doubt this was envisioned as part one in a grander tale, but they chose such a strange moment to cut on there's a strange sense of incompleteness to it all. Like there's an episode missing, or a long build up to a climax or even bigger cliffhanger that never comes.

Aside from that, I remain mostly favourable about the season as a whole. While the final moments alas sum up what went wrong with the character episode approach, and some more full ensemble scenes were sorely lacking, it was an ambitious structure, albeit one dictated by necessity. The creators embraced their new home, and it signals hopefully the first in many experiments with form as basically the traditional model of television storytelling is now no longer the only possibility.

If it lacked hearty belly laughs at times, it was always operating on a level of endearingly oddball wit, even throwing in some well judged satirical notes to make it all feel very much like Arrested Development 2013 rather than 2005. There were a lot of good jokes in the series' madcap, overextended episodes, and although there was much fluff, I'm happier it existed than if it didn't (and was still chuckling at the running
    'hello darkness my old friend'
    gag right up until the end)

Indeed, it could have done with much tighter editing, shorter episodes and a more satisfying sense of closure. And sometimes the trickery of putting two separate actors in the same room was a distracting, poorly devised solution to practical problems (
    the court scene with the two Lucilles was dreadfully unconvincing
    ). But it was also clever, amusing and modestly ambitious despite the undeniable issues. Not exactly Arrested Development as we knew it, but made its changes without betraying itself. Of all the many probably unnecessary revivals of beloved properties that have taken place, season four manages to justify its belated return far more than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭soggy biscuit

Have watched 3 episodes of the new season so far and TBH im disapointed with it. Tought the first three seasons created one of the best and smartest comedy shows around and then this. Doe sit improve any bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Finally got around to finishing it, and what a deeply peculiar conclusion. I could have sworn I was on the second to last episode, so I was particularly caught off guard when it all ended with a... Let's call it a punchline... and then that was it. No doubt this was envisioned as part one in a grander tale, but they chose such a strange moment to cut on there's a strange sense of incompleteness to it all. Like there's an episode missing, or a long build up to a climax or even bigger cliffhanger that never comes.

I fully agree.It felt as if they had meandered too long through the previous episodes and then didn't have time to properly finish the series. The whole season felt a bit of a cheaper, more amateur half hearted production than the older series. I enjoyed parts,but in no way as much as I had in the past.

So are we now waiting for another series to bring the Lucile 2 story to conclusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

So are we now waiting for another series to bring the Lucile 2 story to conclusion?

Hopefully not. Bearing in mind how long this season was (longer than any of the previous 3) and its character-centric approach I feel like the characters have reached a point of over-exposure. I don't particularly want to see any of them again, not even GOB. I'd like to see them wrap things up with a movie but more and more seasons in this format would be tiring.

I think in retrospect AD's cancellation wasn't 'abrupt' at all. It finished at the right time.

The more I think back over the series the more I'm warming to it. Some of the running gags were genius and the manner in which the set up to a gag was 10 episodes before the punchline was genius. The whole George Michael, Boy George gag was beyond forced but it was the perfect set up for when he picked the name George Maharis though the gag properly only worked for the handful of people who know that George Maharis was an actor arrested for having gay sex in a bathroom in the 60s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Slight bump!
    I'm guessing this new series was popular then: talks have already begun to sound out the possibility for a fifth season of AD. Considering the song & dance made about getting the cast back just for this run, I'd be surprised if they could make lightning strike twice. It doesn't mention anything about the rumored movie, but I guess we'll see how it pans out.

I'm in two minds about the possibility of a 5th iteration; season 4 was incredibly patchy, overlong and missed the mark as often as it scored. At worst it was badly misjudged. If nothing else, a new series would allow those problems to be addressed...

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/netflix-in-talks-for-second-season-of-arrested-development-1200561810/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I'd only want it to come back if all the cast were available together so they could make proper episodes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I sat through the first 8 episodes on the verge of tears, and not from laughter, but then it all began to click and finished brilliantly

Some of the running gags were genius

Has anyone re-watched yet? Watching season 3 as it airs on Fox at the moment (must be the 10th time at this stage) and spotted a joke I hadn't before. :pac:

I noticed on the list of episodes on Wikipedia the numbering of production numbers and episodes don't agree, has anyone heard anything about this or if maybe watching "out-of-order" works at all?

EDIT: Also just noticed on wikipedia that the old layout for each episode seems to be gone, they used to have separate sections for callbacks/background jokes etc., any idea if there's a fansite that still has something similar?

Michael: Nobody looks good in this.
    G.O.B.:Especially that little dude.
    Michael: (Scoffs.) That’s Ann.
    G.O.B.:Who?
    Michael: It doesn’t matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/07/mitch-hurwitz-confirms-that-arrested-development-will-definitely-return/

Ok, so even though I didn't think Season 4 was great, this makes me happy. Basically, whether it is a movie or a new season, it appears that the entire cast will be back together. No more of this one character per episode format. That sounds really, really promising!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

17 more episodes of Arrested Development! Confirmed here from the 24th minute and 30th second

I hope it's better than the 4th season. It was good but it wasn't great.

• Advertisement

Well I hope they at least take on board some of the feedback and problems of the 4th series to make the new one a little punchier and, well, better. Maybe throw some more money into their greenscreen work if they have to once again work around the cast's schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Needs more Buster!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Needs more GOB!

Fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1016875-arrested-development-season-4-has-been-reedited-into-a-full-season

Has anybody watched the chronological fanedit of season 4, available on the usual sites? I'm planning to rewatch the series before season 5 next year, and trying to decide which way is best to watch season 4, original version or chronological? Really hope we get the official Hurwitz re-edit with 22 x 22 minute episodes, with extra footage.

Hmmm the 22 x 22 edit sounds really intriguing, would be keen to see it myself: it might be just me, but I've found there's a consistent problem with Netflix Originals' pacing; they can really drag in places with those varying running times, and Arrested Development was no exception. the 30+ minute format didn't suit it IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm the 22 x 22 edit sounds really intriguing, would be keen to see it myself: it might be just me, but I've found there's a consistent problem with Netflix Originals' pacing; they can really drag in places with those varying running times, and Arrested Development was no exception. the 30+ minute format didn't suit it IMO
    I felt season 4 dragged in places too. Looking into the fanedit, it edits the 15 episodes of season 4 into 12 episodes, varying in length from 22 minutes to 54 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I hope it isn't done the same way as the last season. I didn't like how each episode focused on a different character.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I hope it isn't done the same way as the last season. I didn't like how each episode focused on a different character.

Wasn't by choice: all the cast have gone on to do various individual projects and scheduling everyone for continuous days' shooting was impossible. IIRC there was only a day or two they got all the cast on set at the same time, otherwise they had to use CGI or stunt-doubles to fake multiple characters being in the same scene.

Actually a bit ambivalent about the news; Season 4 wasn't great, if not plain boring & unfunny in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wasn't by choice: all the cast have gone on to do various individual projects and scheduling everyone for continuous days' shooting was impossible. IIRC there was only a day or two they got all the cast on set at the same time, otherwise they had to use CGI or stunt-doubles to fake multiple characters being in the same scene.

Yeah, that lack of interactivity between lots of the cast at the same time really led to Season 4's biggest problems, with a lot of singular focus on characters who work better in smaller doses and paired with others in the cast. Hopefully this time they'll arrange it better and lock everyone in so we get them all in each episode and more interaction with each other (and thereby less reliance on new side characters).

Still though, can't wait. Have high hopes for Season 5.

Actually, just saw the promo poster for it
    18557179_1146296868850150_6804840835659360255_n.jpg?oh=ade1d723895a99e61c6b4c77d4f9c0f2&oe=59BAB5C2
    Tagline above the poster also said "This time the Bluths are all together. Whether they like it or not."

Advertisement