Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another series of 'Arrested Development'... and a movie!

Options

Comments

Season 4 grew on me with each viewing. What do people make of the remix? Seems to be the only version on Netflix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Season 4 grew on me with each viewing. What do people make of the remix? Seems to be the only version on Netflix now.

I like the remix... the original series was very scattered

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The remix definitely improved everything. At least every episode was watchable due to not just focusing on one character (some of whom just can't support a full episode). It also helps things make a bit more sense in terms of timeline.

It's still by far the weakest season, but I thought the remix worked well, and now that it seems they have the whole cast together and properly interacting with each other, I'm hopeful for Season 5.

Though for some reason the first time I watched the trailer for Season 5 when someone posted it on Twitter, there was no sound other than Ron Howard's narration, which really freaked me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Buttonftw;106953105Season 4 grew on me with each viewing. What do people make of the remix? Seems to be the only version on Netflix now.

Currently watching the remix, find it much better than the original version of series 4, wasn't a fan of the single character episodes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

15 years since S1 so part of me is saying 'let it go' but i'll still watch it.
    I want to drop all expectations and watch with new eyes...just hope there is new material and not just a retelling of the same jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The original cut of season 4 can be found buried away in the "trailers and more" section. Liking the re-cut of S4 so far, just breezes by.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    The original cut of season 4 can be found buried away in the "trailers and more" section. Liking the re-cut of S4 so far, just breezes by.

I watched 8 episodes back to back yesterday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I’ve laughed throughout season 4 remix so far. Like seasons 1-3, a lot of the funny comes from rewatches, and knowing what’s about to happen. Can’t wait for season 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

4th season was weak, they shouldn't have done it. I gave up on it mostly because I couldn't look at Portia de Rossi...what did she do to herself?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

4th season was weak, they shouldn't have done it. I gave up on it mostly because I couldn't look at Portia de Rossi...what did she do to herself?:(

Wearing a wig I'd say

• Advertisement

I was shocked when I saw her again... she had a lot of work done between season 3 and 4

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Upcoming season to be split in half!

8 episodes later this month, and 8 episodes later in the year.

With both this and Kimmy Schmidt airing like this, binging series may be a thing of the past on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

split?
    gob-bluth.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've watched about 4 or 5 of the remixed Season 4, and honestly it's a huge improvement over the lugubrious original version. Everything's leaner and much snappier than before, jokes flowing into each other with the same kind of pacy energy as previous seasons. The green-screen is still abysmal (Barry Zuckerkorn's appearance in the first episode is still as awful as before)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Basq wrote: »
    Upcoming season to be split in half!

8 episodes later this month, and 8 episodes later in the year.

With both this and Kimmy Schmidt airing like this, binging series may be a thing of the past on Netflix.
    I'll just wait until all of the season is released. All about the binge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Conversely, I'm happy with this split approach. Hate binging.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Conversely, I'm happy with this split approach. Hate binging.

I'm on the fence. I do like binging, but on the other hand with comedies I find if you binge them too many episodes just blend into each other and can get boring. Doesn't happen in more story-based drama shows, but I've found it can happen with comedies and can put me off them. As such, I'm not opposed to splitting AD, though I still think it's a strange decision considering, y'know... it's Netflix. The home of binging a season of TV over a lazy weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The green-screen is still abysmal (Barry Zuckerkorn's appearance in the first episode is still as awful as before)

Was that not just another in-joke though? Purposefully bad green.

Bacchus wrote: »

What was it in-joking about though? I don't recall anything from seasons 1-3 that it might be some kind of callback. All the rest of the greenscreen was pretty terrible, including the George Sr. / Oscar scenes.

What was it in-joking about though? I don't recall anything from seasons 1-3 that it might be some kind of callback. All the rest of the greenscreen was pretty terrible, including the George Sr. / Oscar scenes.

That they couldn't get all the cast together for the episodes, so they had to use green screen. Maybe less of an in-joke and more of a meta-joke.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »

No. It was done at several times throughout Season 4 due to availability of actors. The only in-joke I heard about it was on the remix episode for Lucille's trial where she's questioning Lucille 2. They used green screen for Liza Minelli because she wasn't there, and Ron Howard in the new narration said something like "Lucille was a bit green, screening her questions..." or something along those lines.

Penn wrote: »
    No. It was done at several times throughout Season 4 due to availability of actors. The only in-joke I heard about it was on the remix episode for Lucille's trial where she's questioning Lucille 2. They used green screen for Liza Minelli because she wasn't there, and Ron Howard in the new narration said something like "Lucille was a bit green, screening her questions..." or something along those lines.

Yeah, I get they used green screen because of actor availability problems. My point is, was that not the joke. They made the green screen effect purposefully bad as one of their meta-jokes. That's how I took it anyway... a knowing nod to the production challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

First 8 episodes of season 5 now up on Netflix.

Watched first episode before work.. not a huge amount of laughs for me unfortunately!

They've gone back to the variable running length; episodes anywhere between 25 and 40 minutes. Crazy decision, especially after going to those lengths to recut Season 4, they obviously know the lack of pacing was a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I watched the first episode of the remixed Season 4 last and was surprised with how little I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

They've gone back to the variable running length; episodes anywhere between 25 and 40 minutes. Crazy decision, especially after going to those lengths to recut Season 4, they obviously know the lack of pacing was a problem.

Yep. Completely agree.
    I'm watching the recut of S4. It’s like a different show.
    After my initial viewing I was very disappointed, but the recut and switch to the traditional 22 minute episode length has hugely improved it. One other thing that ruined the original S4 was the POV format, something which the recut also fixed. I really hope S5 drops the POV idea. It's a shame to hear they have gone back to the variable running length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Blut2

The recut S4 is definitely a huge leap up in quality. I'm watching it at the moment and its just so much better. It does take a couple of episodes to get into the swing of things though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Watched the first couple of episodes. A few funny parts through out the episodes but just feels like season 4

Advertisement