Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reservoir Dubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Someone will have to start up a new Dublin club site, it can take Hill16.ie up to 2 or 3 days to put results in

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

i though it was a good site

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jjj12

Posted on the site about once a day have to say I felt it was good . Didn't see any kind of picture but then again there were a lot of threads on the site I would have had little interest in . Really hope they can resolve the issue. It's more gaa forums we need not good ones closing .
    If they can't thanks to all who ran the site over the years it was a great effort by all

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

It's a great site to have and will be a real pity if it is now closed for good. I hope they can work things out and keep it online. I'd be on it everyday and it fills a real gap in getting up to date info about the club scene in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Someone will have to start up a new Dublin club site, it can take Hill16.ie up to 2 or 3 days to put results in

Try here:
    http://www.dubsandclubs.com/forums/forum.php

wasn't as popular while resevoirdubs was open but there will be a lot of traffic going there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭howiya

tororosso wrote: »
    It's a great site to have and will be a real pity if it is now closed for good. I hope they can work things out and keep it online. I'd be on it everyday and it fills a real gap in getting up to date info about the club scene in Dublin.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ro_G

Peace wrote: »
    Try here:
    http://www.dubsandclubs.com/forums/forum.php

wasn't as popular while resevoirdubs was open but there will be a lot of traffic going there now.

Although there have been no issues on this website for the small time it was running, it is quite clear from other forums that we are aware of that a small minority of people cannot seem to exercise any discretion when utilising online discussion forums, and a small minority of people can create potential liabilities for both themselves and those who host such websites. As such, we have made the decision to close this website permanently.

This is a permanent notice, and the website will not be revived.

This notice will be taken down shortly and all content removed from the website.

Many thanks to all who contributed to date.

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

ro_G wrote: »
    Although there have been no issues on this website for the small time it was running, it is quite clear from other forums that we are aware of that a small minority of people cannot seem to exercise any discretion when utilising online discussion forums, and a small minority of people can create potential liabilities for both themselves and those who host such websites. As such, we have made the decision to close this website permanently.

This notice will be taken down shortly and all content removed from the website.

Ronan

Bizarre, can I ask what happened in the couple of hours between you guys plugging the site for all it was worth on Twitter and pulling the plug without warning?

It is a great pity that sites like these cannot continue, considering the blatant disregard that the county board has for promoting and publicising the club game. They will be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Arse Biscuits

Hmmmmmmmm

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Have to say I'll be very disappointed if this is indeed the end of Reservoir Dubs. A great discussion site where all sensible views were welcome, irrespective of County allegiances. On top of this it was very well moderated in my experience and that allowed for some great discussion / debate to be generated.

As someone who was prepared to criticise the Dubs on that site when I felt it was appropriate, I always found the posters there open minded and prepared to listen to a differing viewpoint - a scenario that gives the lie to the stereotypical image painted by many of the average Dublin supporter.

If it is indeed gone, then the world of GAA internet discussion is a poorer place for it - thanks to the Mr Men, dcr etc for making me feel so welcome.

• Advertisement

SSK wrote: »
    Bizarre, can I ask what happened in the couple of hours between you guys plugging the site for all it was worth on Twitter and pulling the plug without warning?

It is a great pity that sites like these cannot continue, considering the blatant disregard that the county board has for promoting and publicising the club game. They will be missed

Nothing happened. I decided its not worth the hassle hosting such a bulletin board website. I'm more comfortable leaving discussion forums to places like boards.ie (which is moderated heavily), or to Facebook, twitter or other social media where you don't assume the responsibility for other people's posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

What am I gonna during working hours now?

PaulD77 wrote: »
    What am I gonna during working hours now?

You could always keep the aul cogs turning the gears of industry ;)

Nothing happened. I decided its not worth the hassle hosting such a bulletin board website. I'm more comfortable leaving discussion forums to places like boards.ie (which is moderated heavily), or to Facebook, twitter or other social media where you don't assume the responsibility for other people's posting.

Ah ok, no worries and I do understand that it is a massive undertaking trying to keep sites like this under control. It's just the train of events has been extremely strange...

Res Dubs gets closed

A number of posters on here maintain it is because of an inappropriate picture posted on the site

One of these posters (who would appear from previous posts to have some sort of link to D&C/DMT) suddenly closes his account/has his account closed

Dubs & Clubs, who were openly canvassing for new subscribers a couple of hours ago suddenly shuts up shop.

Sorry for the conspiracy theory type post but its just frustrating that these sites cannot continue...its a disaster for people living abroad like myself, especially with DMT finishing up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Ronan

Jaysus, and just when I was considering signing up as an alternative to Res Dubs. This is spreading quicker than an ebola outbreak :mad:

I'm sayin' this now. I refuse to go anywhere near Hoganstand. Fooks sake....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭howiya

ResDubs, DubsandClubs and DublinMatchTracker all closing. Did none of ye see the Saorview ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Ah ok, no worries and I do understand that it is a massive undertaking trying to keep sites like this under control. It's just the train of events has been extremely strange...

Res Dubs gets closed

A number of posters on here maintain it is because of an inappropriate picture posted on the site

One of these posters (who would appear from previous posts to have some sort of link to D&C/DMT) suddenly closes his account/has his account closed

Dubs & Clubs, who were openly canvassing for new subscribers a couple of hours ago suddenly shuts up shop.

Sorry for the conspiracy theory type post but its just frustrating that these sites cannot continue...its a disaster for people living abroad like myself, especially with DMT finishing up as well.

Absolutely bizarre.... definitely X Files territory

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Terrible, terrible shame that it is gone. You can get results anywhere these days, but no where else could you rejoice/commiserate/vent/banter with similar souls who were blessed to have true blue blood running thru their veins ! It will be sorely missed.

A pox upon those eegits who may have done something stupid to make Admin want to throw in the towel.:mad: Perhaps with time he will realize how much it meant to people and will rethink his decision? Fingers crossed anyway.;)

Shame it is gone so suddenly too, and that all content is being removed. Does it have to be? If ResDubs really is to be a thing of the past, I would love it if some of the epic threads (such as the Dublin/Kerry AI final thread, or the hilarious Diarmuid Connolly aka The Breakfast Roll thread) could be archived somewhere.

Sad, sad day to be a Dub.....:(:(:(

Res Dubs gets closed

Yeah, look, it may appear that way, but no conspiracy theory here. The lads on DubMatchTracker used dubsandclubs.com to organise coverage for games etc. but DMT was not dubsandclubs.com, and vice versa. Dubsandclubs.com was just my little sandbox for playing with vbulletin and code.

Although I have an account on ResDubs, and am friendly with most of the lads there, I am not aware of what went on to close the website, but I do know that the lads who ran the site are responsible, decent individuals, but I can imagine the weight of moderation must have difficult with such a large and popular site.

Anyway, I was a presentation this morning and didn't realise the dubsandclubs site was being pushed heavily on twitter. It was only ever meant to be a small private site, not an alternative to ResDubs, as those who were members will know, so upon reflection when I got back to my desk I decided against hosting the site any longer, particularly if it meant a heap of people signing up who I did not know personally. Anything more than 35 odd people on the website means moderation, and I had no intention of wasting my days away moderating people.

It's hard enough to keep the day job down, never mind spending all day herding loopers on the internet!

Top man Ronan, thanks for the detailed response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Shame it is gone so suddenly too, and that all content is being removed. Does it have to be? If ResDubs really is to be a thing of the past, I would love it if some of the epic threads (such as the Dublin/Kerry AI final thread, or the hilarious Diarmuid Connolly aka The Breakfast Roll thread) could be archived somewhere.

+1

It is (to me anyway) a perfect snapshot of the last 10 years in Dublin GAA.

But first, let's hope the lads behind it can find some way of getting the show back on the road. Yeah, I'm still in denial.

Just noticed I only have 87 posts in 12 years on Boards.ie.

That must be some sort of record?

Tom, where's my award? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Just noticed I only have 87 posts in 12 years on Boards.ie.

That must be some sort of record?

Tom, where's my award? ;)

I signed up for DubsandClubs and it closed within an hour of my acceptance email!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

A sad day for Dublin GAA fans to lose its flagship website.I had actually posted there as recently as 2 days ago.Also very sad given the context of the timing with the county football final being this coming bank holiday Monday.

Still, the ResDubs moderators have their reasons for closing it down and those reasons must be respected.I do hope that at some stage in the future, there is a change of heart.

I would urge fellow posters to discontinue speculating about the reasons behind its closure on this thread. Best of luck to all who contributed to ResDubs, I would hope to see many more of that contingent making a positive contribution to this forum.

Whats that Arse Biscuits? Huh? Thought I heard you say something....

Whats that Arse Biscuits? Huh? Thought I heard you say something....
    Didn't say a thing chief

Must be all that Heineken your swallowing

Didn't say a thing chief

I dont drink, you must have me confused with someone else sack :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Didn't say a thing chief

ya did, and you deleted it ;)

You lads North of the airport need to chill

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

I dont drink, you must have me confused with someone else sack :D

careful now sack was blamed on manys a thing, in particular by a mod on res dubs relating to a picture along time ago.................................

Advertisement