Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD irritations... ie first world problems! (See Mod Note, 1st post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Construction work on the new Science building.

It's ugly, inconvenient, I'll be long gone before it's finished, it wouldn't be of any use to me even if it was, and they still have to finish the new Student Centre and get started on the Sutherland School of Law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Yer man singing Nessun Dorma outside the James Joyce library today...anyone hear him?!

He was quite entertaining, albeit totally distracting!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

EmilyO wrote: »
    Yer man singing Nessun Dorma outside the James Joyce library today...anyone hear him?!

He was quite entertaining, albeit totally distracting!

I heard someone signing, I think it was that in Glenmena... it was weird because I was outside and he was like three floors up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

There were 3 or 4 groups of ignorant pricks in a lecture I was in today (Millennium Development Goals) - having full blown conversations and laughing etc for the whole lecture - whilst on their laptops looking through photos on fb. Seriously why the hell bother going to the lecture if that is what you are going to do? Really annoyed me! I have to sit at the back of lecture halls atm as I can't really manage to get down the stairs nearer the front - all the talking is doing my head in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Had a lecture today and the lecturer was just so utterly useless. Couldnt control a normally well behaved tutorial class. Didnt explain things at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

The boarded off bit of land where the new law school will be built.

This pisses me off several times a day because it forces everybody going to/from Merville, Glenomena and the two Roebucks to walk along a narrow little path.
    But every single time there's somebody strolling along in front of you and 9 times out of 10 there's not enough room to walk around them. Does my head in and is really annoying when I'm running late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I heard someone signing, I think it was that in Glenmena... it was weird because I was outside and he was like three floors up!

Really? I was on the second floor of JJ library overlooking the lake and it sounded like he was right outside...perhaps he was showcasing all over UCD :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I get annoyed when footpaths take strange routes, just to accommodate car parks etc. You can see this in e.g. the new car park outside Newstead, where the path meanders around parking spaces and ends up in the middle of nowhere; or the route from Richview & Newstead to the main campus which has been partly blocked by the new Student Centre for years now. Footpaths should go in straight lines between the places people need to be, otherwise people will just cut the corner(s) and trample the grass. It's axiomatic: to a person on foot, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Another thing, the doors in the residence I live in.

It's a newly renovated one, and UCD decided it would be a fantastic idea to put those auto-close things on all the doors in the apartment, which slowly close the door most of the way, and then slam it closed as loudly as possible. If the window in the room is open it makes it bang even louder and it sounds like a truck or something just crashed into the building.

Good job UCD, good job.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

._. wrote: »

It's a newly renovated one, and UCD decided it would be a fantastic idea to put those auto-close things on all the doors in the apartment, which slowly close the door most of the way, and then slam it closed as loudly as possible. If the window in the room is open it makes it bang even louder and it sounds like a truck or something just crashed into the building.

Good job UCD, good job.

I'm in Glenomena, and the main door of the house (the one in front of the lift) has to be closed properly otherwise a loud alarm goes off, and continues to go off, until the door is closed properly. So that means that when people come in, they don't close the door fully (or leave it so it's closed, but the door hasn't clicked/locked), which makes the alarm go off continuously until somebody closes it - the person who has left the door open is usually gone up the lift or stairs at this stage and doesn't realise! Very unnecessary and irritating, I'm not sure what they were thinking when they installed that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I'm in Glenomena, and the main door of the house (the one in front of the lift) has to be closed properly otherwise a loud alarm goes off, and continues to go off, until the door is closed properly. So that means that when people come in, they don't close the door fully (or leave it so it's closed, but the door hasn't clicked/locked), which makes the alarm go off continuously until somebody closes it - the person who has left the door open is usually gone up the lift or stairs at this stage and doesn't realise! Very unnecessary and irritating, I'm not sure what they were thinking when they installed that!
    Omg YES!!!
    I've lost count of the amount of times drunken idiots have stuck signs or bottles in the way of the door in the early hours of the morning and set that alarm blaring. I'm usually the one who has to get out of bed half-asleep looking for my key card, kick it out of the way and wander back to bed again. Whoever thinks that funny is simply an idiot.

Undressing in my room and realising there's a dude opposite me looking out the window...
    hate the layout of campus accommodation! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Siuin wrote: »
    Undressing in my room and realising there's a dude opposite me looking out the window...
    hate the layout of campus accommodation! :P

Happened to me a couple of times last year as well! Also got woken up by some lovely builders in a cherry picker right outside my bedroom window at 7.30 one morning. They decided that was a good time to fix the drainpipes...

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

The state of the lads jacks on the second floor in the library. For ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The state of the lads jacks on the ground floor of library building outside the SU shop...

Also, how long does it take to post mid-term exam results?? It's MCQ, can't this be done in a day??

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

The state of the lads jacks in the Eng block.

The state of the lads jacks in the Gym.

I see a trend emerging here - 'People who leave the jacks in a disgusting mess'

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cleverclogs84

The fact that science no longer have a restaurant and a sandwich costs 4.50 in conway.

The new f****** printing system! Why the hell are most the printing resources given over to first years? No offence but there's a lot more of us 2nd/3rd/4th/5th years! I think it's a disgrace that they expect us to pay anything towards a new student card. They changed the system they fix the fallout. Simple really.

Nine o clock lectures when you have an hour and a half commute in.

5 hour blocks of labs and lectures without food!

Lab reports (just in general)

Wow. That made me feel better. lol

Everything I was irritated about, you just said. Particularly the 9am lectures with the long commute in.

Also people continuously talking in lectures.

People interrupting lectures with questions the lecturer answered literally 5 mins before hand.

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

Why, in their right minds, would UCD choose the library toilets, of all the toilets in all the buildings, to put those Dyson hand dryers in?! The noise is deafening!

I'm very proud of myself when I manage to get a big desk on the Arts level, I don't plan on having that ruined when 357 people have to dry their hands with those dryers. I've heard jet engines take off with less of a din. Well, maybe not, but ye know what I mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I ate two footlong meatball marinaras from Subway and am now so stuffed! Fcuk my greedy eyes!

Hate it when someone insists on sitting on the edge of a row, then packs up their stuff in the end in slow motion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

People who wait until I have my laptop out and booted up and plugged into a socket before mentioning that it isn't actually working...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blondielocks

Starbucks is gone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Starbucks is gone?!

Isn't it in Conway now? There's one in Quinn anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

._. wrote: »

Good job UCD, good job.

I took that bar off my door to stop it doing that.

What if I wanted to leave my door open UCD?! The window wont open wide enough to ventilate the room and the place smells damp from the shower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Micklaus

That bloody scanner (the one on the right of the two) to enter into JJ library............I saw it getting fixed today!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

-Having to walk through the disgusting cloud of second hand smoke outside the Newman building after a lecture. Mingin.

^ +1. Despite the fact that they are signs in that very area stating that this is banned.

Also, the way you can't edit Word documents on SUAS yet it never occurred them to block Facebook et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

lecture halls in health sciences, some of the rows have more or less leg room. I always seem to pick the ones with the least amount of leg room. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Stasya_x

The cross campus sprint from Roebuck to Newman building for one stupid tutorial that's straight after a lecture..

The lack of ovens in Glenamena..I wanted pasta bake for dinner last night then remembered I don't actually posses and oven anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Not being able to access a timetable of when computer labs are reserved for classes. Very frustrating being turfed out of one, then an hour later another, then an hour later another...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Check out the 1st floor Men's toilets in the Science block - the cubicle on the left is hilariously disgusting. And has been for the last 2 or 3 weeks at least!!

Advertisement