Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

kneemos wrote: »
    Ariel came from the shop.The cable came from a roll I've had for a while.

Roll of what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Roll of what ?

Roll of cable.

kneemos wrote: »
    Roll of cable.

Twin and earth?

Cat 5 ?

Extension lead ?

Bell wire ?

What

Twin and earth?

Cat 5 ?

Extension lead ?

Bell wire ?

What

No idea I'm afraid,just bog standard cable as far as I know.

• Advertisement

No point in having a digital tv capable aerial if the cable between the digital tv capable aerial and the mpeg4 receiver is substandard,

So I was correct

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

It's a non isolated cable which is poor quality and prone to outside electrical interference.

Navarre wrote: »
    It's a non isolated cable which is poor quality and prone to outside electrical interference.

Which one am I after then.

Either of the first 2. But you wont get that quality of cable anywhere in town The 3rd one you will get out in the electrical wholesalers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hibble

So if your installer has been telling you all along that the tuners are crap, he didn't show you how to set it up and used sub standard coax that you provided him with, I've got 2 questions for you.

1) How much did you pay him?

2) Any more lash up jobs you want doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Guys may I ask politely that we get back to talking specificially about the ariva 120, the thread will become useless otherwise.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Either of the first 2. But you wont get that quality of cable anywhere in town The 3rd one you will get out in the electrical wholesalers.

I'll check what I have so,if nothings lose or hanging off a new cable is the next plan of action.Thanks for the replys,more than helpful.

Kneemos. i thought you said in a previous thread that you installed your own Aerial and receiver.

Kneemos. i thought you said in a previous thread that you installed your own Aerial and receiver.

Yes

Tony wrote: »
    Guys may I ask politely that we get back to talking specificially about the ariva 120, the thread will become useless otherwise.

Tony problem is no end of people are using the Ariva threads to say how useless they are when they obviously haven't got a clue what they are doing, don't RTFM, dont use suitable hard drives, (try to) flash them without following the correct procedure.... you get the idea.

As I see it this thread is for informing and helping users and potential buyers of the pluses and minuses of the unit, advice about new updates and whether or not there worth the hassle and so on.

All the anwers are in this or the original "bargain alert" thread - surely you research a product before you buy it - that way you know what to expect. How users are suddenly shocked that they have to do the occasional retune to bring a station back in is totally beyond me. God only knows how many heart attacks there'd be if they still had to get up and push a pressbutton or spin a dial every time they wanted to change a channel like in the olden days.

If I had read this thread before I got my box, chances are that I wouldn't have bothered, and that would have been my loss.

Kneemos talks about his installer several times and goes on to slag off the unit in a very factual way to the uninitiated reader.

Reminds me of someone who's tried to do the job themselves with the cheapest gear that's lying about, don't know what they're at but think they do and when it all goes wrong it must be the units fault.

Some people think everything they read on the net is true.

I could tell you that I know of a lot of folk with deisel cars from VW goup have had them break down.........................................not very good..

I might or might not mention that every one of them had put petrol in the car by mistake.

Changes everything.

P.S. I did mention banjaxed cable in post#758 - could have saved the trip to the shop.

Thats a fair point but when we start talking about aerial, installer and cable issues the thread goes off topic and makes it much harder for someone to find the answer they need .

No harm in starting a new thread whan an issue not specific to the 120 arises and will probably get a much better response that way.

hibble wrote: »
    Tony problem is no end of people are using the Ariva threads to say how useless they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Tony problem is no end of people are using the Ariva threads to say how useless they are when they obviously haven't got a clue what they are doing, don't RTFM, dont use suitable hard drives, (try to) flash them without following the correct procedure.... you get the idea.

As I see it this thread is for informing and helping users and potential buyers of the pluses and minuses of the unit, advice about new updates and whether or not there worth the hassle and so on.

All the anwers are in this or the original "bargain alert" thread - surely you research a product before you buy it - that way you know what to expect. How users are suddenly shocked that they have to do the occasional retune to bring a station back in is totally beyond me. God only knows how many heart attacks there'd be if they still had to get up and push a pressbutton or spin a dial every time they wanted to change a channel like in the olden days.

If I had read this thread before I got my box, chances are that I wouldn't have bothered, and that would have been my loss.

Kneemos talks about his installer several times and goes on to slag off the unit in a very factual way to the uninitiated reader.

Reminds me of someone who's tried to do the job themselves with the cheapest gear that's lying about, don't know what they're at but think they do and when it all goes wrong it must be the units fault.

Some people think everything they read on the net is true.

I could tell you that I know of a lot of folk with deisel cars from VW goup have had them break down.........................................not very good..

I might or might not mention that every one of them had put petrol in the car by mistake.

Changes everything.

P.S. I did mention banjaxed cable in post#758 - could have saved the trip to the shop.

Hi,

I agree with you (mostly) but I do know what Im doing (mostly) when it comes to STB, (I have Humax and Ariva) Sats (I have 13, 19, 26 & 28), Splitters, Dishes (Triax 1.1M), Multi-Lnbs, (Twins & Quads), Diseqc-Switches etc etc.

And I had to return my Ariva back to Ferguson 3 times to have it fixed. The problem I had was that the Infra-Red function failed. It is questionable whther Fergerson even tried to fix it the 1st two times I sent it back, because it came back with the same problem. On the 3rd occassion they replaced the mother board and it works and they refunded the cost of my postage which was €45 (each postage to Poland was €15).

The above are facts and apart from that I like the box. Its easy to use. It has the dual tuner. I get my 4 sats by using the Diseqc functionality. I get Saorview channels just by using a Rabbits Ears. I dont need a CAM to use my Cyfra Card and its HD.

So all in all its a good box for the price and I was probably just unlucky with the issues with the Infra-Red.

If this was Amazon, Id probably give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Hope this helps people deciding.

Regards

Iba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

intro wrote: »
    Tried it on an old TV in Donegal this w/end, which has only one scart so is fed through a manual scart switcher to allow the use of DVD and VCR. ... When connected through the scart switcher there is no picture at all. When I feed directly from scart to tv's scart it works ok.

Some of those scart switchers don't pass RGB video, although from the last time I looked into it, I seem to recall they were all the automatic type with power supply.

... I did mention banjaxed cable in post#758 - could have saved the trip to the shop.

The brown "low loss" cable shouldn't be enough, on its own, to cause complete failure, unless the signal level & quality is very poor to begin with.

More than likely poorly made connections at the aerial or receiver would be to blame than the actual cable.

• Advertisement

The brown "low loss" cable shouldn't be enough, on its own, to cause complete failure, unless the signal level & quality is very poor to begin with.

More than likely poorly made connections at the aerial or receiver would be to blame than the actual cable.

Beg to disagree..

When I set up Saorview for the first time it worked in the sitting room, daughters room not kitchen. Cause was the cable in the kitchen replaced with new cable leftover from when I'd installed the dish all worked okay. And yes Ihad check the connections on the original cable before it was replaced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

When I set up Saorview for the first time it worked in the sitting room, daughters room not kitchen. Cause was the cable in the kitchen replaced with new cable leftover from when I'd installed the dish all worked okay. And yes Ihad check the connections on the original cable before it was replaced.

All that proves is that the length of cable you removed didn't work with the output from your distribution system for whatever reason. Could have been because the cable was complete rubbish to begin with or maybe it was damaged in some way.

If it worked anyway well with UHF analogue it should work with digital (although interference ingress will be more of a pain) unless there are some odd frequency selective effects present.

It was 3 year old coax that you could have ate your dinner off....

Doesn't matter now I'm sorted so i'll leave everyone to thier second rate boxes and imaginary installers.

and now can we get back to the 120, its the thread title after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hi there fellow HD 120 users, to save me trawling back through this entire thread can somebody please give me a contact where I can buy yet another one of these great boxes here in Ireland (my previous ones came from Poland last year), but I gather that the local price has now come down to match the Polish price.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

LordSutch wrote: »
    Hi there fellow HD 120 users, to save me trawling back through this entire thread can somebody please give me a contact where I can buy yet another one of these great boxes here in Ireland (my previous ones came from Poland last year), but I gather that the local price has now come down to match the Polish price.

Thanks in advance.

They have been discontinued. Newer models available from satellite.ie amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

HI I got one of these box's the ariva 120 yesterday. I don't have a satellite just an ariel. The question I have is can I get the bbc's utv channel 4 with it. I am only getting the Irish channels so far and maybe there is something I have to do to get the other channels or do I just have to get satellite.

Thanks in advance

You'll only get UK Freeview (digital terrestrial) channels if you're within range of a UK transmitter.

What part of the country are you in & do you already have analogue UK reception? (Or why would you buy a combo if you don't need or particularly want satellite?)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Hi

Im having a couple of problems with my Ariva.

1. My Saorview channels freeze picture and sound approx once a minute. Sometimes a message pops up saying "No Signal" as it freezes. It freezes for around 1-2 seconds and then fixes itself, until the next freeze.

2. My UK freeview channels disappear completely. I could be watching BBC and if I scroll to RTE, BBC and the other UK freeview channels will all disappear. If I restart the box these channels return. This does not happen very regularly. When this happens the Saorview channels are unaffected.

Any ideas how to fix? I haven't changed firmware, etc since I got the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

You'll only get UK Freeview (digital terrestrial) channels if you're within range of a UK transmitter.

What part of the country are you in & do you already have analog UK reception? (Or why would you buy a combo if you don't need or particularly want satellite?)

I'm mid Roscommon.. Bought combo as wasn't much dearer than standard box plus if I get dish later on should have more channels. have bbc already but don't have it when going through new box.. should I be able to get it.. am i doing something wrong

Advertisement