Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Anyone else had problems with these boxes. I bought one a few months ago and I've lost Soarview (tuner problems are common)it also keeps dropping radio channels and the timeshift does'nt work properly.In other words a dog of a thing.Keep clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hibble

kneemos wrote: »
    In other words a dog of a thing.QUOTE]

Well I've had mine for 14 months and it's not "a dog of a thing" just the dogs **********:rolleyes:

No bother at all with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Anyone else had problems with these boxes. I bought one a few months ago and I've lost Soarview (tuner problems are common)it also keeps dropping radio channels and the timeshift does'nt work properly.In other words a dog of a thing.Keep clear.
    If you bought new, you could return it under the 1yr warranty ?

I've had one since they were introduced, and installed quite a few for fam & friends. Never a single issue following the lip sync fix. A solid little piece of kit IMO.

I like the improvements made with its successor (150 / 250 ) too, for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

What does your supplier have to say ? May I also ask why you think tuner problems are common ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

dodzy wrote: »
    If you bought new, you could return it under the 1yr warranty ?

I've had one since they were introduced, and installed quite a few for fam & friends. Never a single issue following the lip sync fix. A solid little piece of kit IMO.

I like the improvements made with its successor (150 / 250 ) too, for what it's worth.

Bringing it back tomorrow.A local installer here says tuners are a common fault

• Advertisement

Bringing it back tomorrow.A local installer here says tuners are a common fault

Hope you get sorted . I must disagree with the local installer tuner faults are extremely uncommon on this model.

Is he an installer or someone who knocks out a few boxes on the side????

I'm not an installer but like I say I never had any bother with mine - maybe your cabling is banjaxed or your aerial moved.

Did your installer go through the manual and the menus with you? There are various ways to set up timeshift, 2 ways to have a disk formatted and hard disks should have thier own power source. Read and write speeds for usb devices are also critical.

Could be plenty reasons why your box is playing up - none of them might actually be being caused by the box itself?

Tony wrote: »
    Hope you get sorted . I must disagree with the local installer tuner faults are extremely uncommon on this model.

Only know what he told me,he's had several people with the same problem.The one I have never functioned properly,even the sat channels will occasionally lose sound and I'll need to turn it off and on.Maybe it's just a dud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Tuner problems. The tuners are made by Sharp who make them for everyone. Your local installer is talking out his backside, because he didnt bother updating the firmware from the factory installed version (the quick buck merchants dont want to come back, they connect it up say nothing about the occasional retune being required or tell you to read the manual and just leg it to the next job to do the same thing). The 120s - one you updated the firmware once, they work fine.

The thing with these boxes is that you occasionally have to re-tune them if Saorview channels are moved by RTE, which is the case for Dublin based viewers as RTE moved their channels to Channel 30 from Channel 54 on DVB-T.

The biggest problems with these boxes are the users who dont read the bloody manual.

Theres all sorts of issues with it as mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Theres all sorts of issues with it as mentioned above.

Anyway hope you get sorted tomorrow and have no further issues.

Was'nt my installer,don't know him from Adam.I just bought it and plugged it in.Never heard about retuning before,is it the same with saorview approved boxes?I know they were working on Mt Leinster last Friday which is the same time I lost the saorview channels,don't know if it's relevent or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭intro

Tony.
    Many thanks for the reply.

STB wrote: »
    The problem and solution is obvious to me. Get rid of the cheap scart switcher.

You have to manually delete the terrestrial channels you are not using as they are for a different transmitter. OR If you are going to continue to use the box in 2 locations then set up a favourites list, 1 for Dublin Saorview and 1 for Donegal Saorview so as not to confuse yourself.

You can set up favourites list for anything. You do have to read the manual though! Once you get to grips with that, you will be flying. Honestly read the manual.

STB.
    I thought I outlined the two problems fairly clearly. I didn’t describe the scart switcher as a “cheap scart switcher”. It was not. I did mention that there was a DVD and VCR attached to the TV and if I did not want them I would have removed them and then would have no need for the switcher and then no need to ask if anyone knew about getting the Ferguson to work with a scart switcher.
    Clearly the solution here is not getting rid of the DVD and VCR because the Ferguson unit cannot work with a scart switcher but to replace the old TV with a saorview TV and a freesat box and attach the DVD and VCR

In relation to reading the manual. I had read it (several times). I did not find the answer to my questions in it hence asking the question here. You are wrong in your reply about the terrestrial channels as when I tested it back in Dublin this evening, connected via the HDMI lead it did not lose the channels (despite both sets of RTE channels being on the list). Obviously this is a moot point to me as I will not be buying a Ferguson for use in Donegal now but may be of interest to people who would move a box between houses and are using a scart lead.

intro wrote: »
    STB.
    I thought I outlined the two problems fairly clearly. I didn’t describe the scart switcher as a “cheap scart switcher”. It was not. I did mention that there was a DVD and VCR attached to the TV and if I did not want them I would have removed them and then would have no need for the switcher and then no need to ask if anyone knew about getting the Ferguson to work with a scart switcher.
    Clearly the solution here is not getting rid of the DVD and VCR because the Ferguson unit cannot work with a scart switcher but to replace the old TV with a saorview TV and a freesat box and attach the DVD and VCR

In relation to reading the manual. I had read it (several times). I did not find the answer to my questions in it hence asking the question here. You are wrong in your reply about the terrestrial channels as when I tested it back in Dublin this evening, connected via the HDMI lead it did not lose the channels (despite both sets of RTE channels being on the list). Obviously this is a moot point to me as I will not be buying a Ferguson for use in Donegal now but may be of interest to people who would move a box between houses and are using a scart lead.

First of all, I did try and help you. You say that the Ferguson works when directly connected by scart. The issue only arises when connected to the scart switcher, which points to an issue with the scart switcher, not the box.

Secondly as regarding reading the manual, this is a common problem with these boxes. People buying them have it set up for them and then complain when things go wrong without referring to the manual. Believe me I have seen it all in this thread including people not knowing that they require an aerial for Saorview. It is easier to blame hardware than read a manual.

As regards leaving 2 sets of Saorview Channels in the DVB-T channel list that is fine once you understand that one group of channels could be on one certain frequency and the other say Dublin will be on another. Infact when it comes to main Donegal and Dublin Frequencies both could be on channel 30 purely out of coincidence as that is the frequency used by Holywell Hill and Three Rock.

I never said it wouldnt work having 2 sets of the channels off diffrent mux frequencies. The reason I mentioned it in the first place was so you wouldnt be confused wondering why RTE wasnt working if you had 2 sets, as it could someone less technical. The first list will be the first ones you tuned in.

Was'nt my installer,don't know him from Adam.I just bought it and plugged it in.Never heard about retuning before,is it the same with saorview approved boxes?I know they were working on Mt Leinster last Friday which is the same time I lost the saorview channels,don't know if it's relevent or not.

Yep. Even Saorview approved boxes dont auto-retune.

You could save yourself returning it by just updating the firmware to the latest via a usb stick and retuning or loading a channel list via a USB.

STB wrote: »
    Yep. Even Saorview approved boxes dont auto-retune.

You could save yourself returning it by just updating the firmware to the latest via a usb stick and retuning or loading a channel list via a USB.

Your talking a foreign language I'm afraid.Where do I get the firmware or channel lists and presumably it won't cure it's many other issues.

Your talking a foreign language I'm afraid.Where do I get the firmware or channel lists and presumably it won't cure it's many other issues.

Download this firmware

Unzip the file with 7 Zip/Winzip.

You only need the .abs file.

Copy that to a USB stick.

Plug in the USB stick to the USB port at the front of the box.

Go to upgrade by USB in tools menu.

Choose allcode+bootloader

Click down to start. Let it get to 100% on screen. The box will reboot.

Go to menu restore to factory settings.

Now rescan.

(Yes a lot of your problems should go away as there have been several firmware fixes that resolved issues - so if your firmware is old that is why you may be encountering issues).

Worth a try. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks a lot shall give it a go.

Tried the box in the shop this morning and it worked fine,just a signal strenght problem.I'll wait till they increase the signal strenght or get an amplifier or something I guess.

so not a "dog" after all :)

Tried the box in the shop this morning and it worked fine,just a signal strenght problem.I'll wait till they increase the signal strenght or get an amplifier or something I guess.

• Advertisement

Tony wrote: »
    so not a "dog" after all :)

When Columbus discovered America he did'nt say wow what a magnificent continent.You can only go on what you know,the slur of doggishness(if that's not a word I'm claiming it)is withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

The best way to increase satellite strength isto get it professionally aligned. The same is true for Saorview terrestrial channels.You can have a go yourself but don't be surprised if you don't get professional results.

When Columbus discovered America

America was already there :) sorry for OT

zg3409 wrote: »
    The best way to increase satellite strength isto get it professionally aligned. The same is true for Saorview terrestrial channels.You can have a go yourself but don't be surprised if you don't get professional results.

It was working perfectly.They're regularly working on Mt Leinster which I think is causing the problem.The sats are fine.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Kneemos seriously the work they are doing at Mt leinster was only intermittent. That is not causing the problem that you have. Myself and zerks are in the business locally to you and we are not experiencing problems on Installations.

Navarre wrote: »
    Kneemos seriously the work they are doing at Mt leinster was only intermittent. That is not causing the problem that you have. Myself and zerks are in the business locally to you and we are not experiencing problems on Installations.

I'll check my cable tomorrow.It was working perfectly for several hours in the shop today.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Did you buy the Aerial from the same shop and did the cable come with the aerial. Some of those 48 element aerial kits have poor quality (shoelace) type cable as part of the kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

No point in having a digital tv capable aerial if the cable between the digital tv capable aerial and the mpeg4 receiver is substandard,

Navarre wrote: »
    Did you buy the Aerial from the same shop and did the cable come with the aerial. Some of those 48 element aerial kits have poor quality (shoelace) type cable as part of the kit.

Ariel came from the shop.The cable came from a roll I've had for a while.

• Advertisement

Ariel came from the shop.The cable came from a roll I've had for a while.

BINGO!

Advertisement