Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cardar

Looking for information on changes to det houses in Castlepark, 1. Has anyone fully converted attic or planning too? Putting a staircase on landing rather then a bedroom. 2. Underfloor heating for downstairs, & removing radiators. I know both are costly but thinking of benefits to having it done while house being build v's a few years time. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sokol7998

cardar wrote: »
    Looking for information on changes to det houses in Castlepark, 1. Has anyone fully converted attic or planning too? Putting a staircase on landing rather then a bedroom. 2. Underfloor heating for downstairs, & removing radiators. I know both are costly but thinking of benefits to having it done while house being build v's a few years time. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I can only say that was thinking about underfloor heating as well, the thing is that the decision has to be made before subfloor is done,(or you can ask to decrease subfloor level) otherwise you will have to go for electric underfloor heating option.I was told by builder they can look at it but at my house stage I could go for electric only ( which is cheaper to install but expensive to run) I am doing electric in bathrooms only.

For the attic, as far as I know you could try to keep bedroom only in 3 bed semi houses. in 4 beds-semi , there is no space for stairs (even curved), but best will be to speak with Manson.

Thanks for response soko, talking to a plumber friend, I think I may scrap the underfloor heating idea, very costly if problems arise. I'll go for the simplier life! Converted attic I was refering too was the 4 bed detached, not the semi's. if anyone has done a full conversion or planning to, ur suggestions or input would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RebelCoonanski

We are currently being quoted for Attic Conversion for our detached, and we are definately going ahead with it. You don't lose a bedroom at all, but you do lose the wardrobes in Bedroom #4. Your Bedroom 2 ensuite orientation also changes, but the only impact is you can see a little of the stairwell coming into the roof of the ensuite. Its very slight, and you just need to move the shower unit to the opposite wall to accomadate. We want to get it done now to avoid desruption later.

We are also getting the hot thank and pumps moved to the attic area so as to re shape our hot press. It gives us great hot press storage (they put a radiator in instead), but also space for a double shower in the master en suite. Thats costing very little to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CASEY CLAKE

Wow 10k to build a shed sounds crazy! We had been thinking of this too but think we ll be calling in our mate!! It's great to read everyone's ideas, thanks for sharing, our list is getting longer by the day!! Just wondering for those that are already in & settled, did they complete in or around when they were supposed to & is there anything you would alter/ask for if u could now?

• Advertisement

guys, do you think , around 1200 euro (minus allocation) for granite (30mm) is reasonable price? ( for 3 beds-semi kitchen)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newgirl2012

sokol7998 wrote: »
    guys, do you think , around 1200 euro (minus allocation) for granite (30mm) is reasonable price? ( for 3 beds-semi kitchen)

Yea that sounds very good!! I was being quoted at least 2000 for granite so that's a good price you've been told!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jamontoast

1200 seems very little to pay for a kitchen

Jamontoast wrote: »
    1200 seems very little to pay for a kitchen
    Think they mean 1200 for granite countertops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chieftain180

yes be careful of this builder, has built Pyrite home in the past and refused to help all those effected.

• Advertisement

We are currently being quoted for Attic Conversion for our detached, and we are definately going ahead with it. You don't lose a bedroom at all, but you do lose the wardrobes in Bedroom #4. Your Bedroom 2 ensuite orientation also changes, but the only impact is you can see a little of the stairwell coming into the roof of the ensuite. Its very slight, and you just need to move the shower unit to the opposite wall to accomadate. We want to get it done now to avoid desruption later.

We are also getting the hot thank and pumps moved to the attic area so as to re shape our hot press. It gives us great hot press storage (they put a radiator in instead), but also space for a double shower in the master en suite. Thats costing very little to be fair.

Thanks RebelCoonanski some good advice there, with the stairs to the attic, is it a full staircase? Also with fire reg is there a door on the landing level or in the attic. Are you planning to divide up the attic or put a bathroom up there?
    Great idea with moving the hot press contents.

Yes, a full staircase, looks nice actually. We saw one being completed in another house. All of your doors in the house will need to be fireproof if you are converting the attic, except the ones between the kitchen and main living room. They create a mezannine at the top of the new stairs for the door.We are going with one Velux over the stairs, and 2 in the bedroom part.
    We are getting an ensuite put in, Its a big space, so we are just trying to figure out whats the best thing to do, I'm open to suggestions there myself!

If its a large space you could make into a lovely guest bedroom with decent sized bathroom, alternatively two bedrooms with smaller ensuite, all depends on your family set up, number and ages of children, how often would you have visitors to stay etc, good luck !

It is a large space but I don't think two rooms will work. Will defo go for nice sixe ensuite, and see if we can fit in a walkin wardrobe maybe! Hoping to have plenty of visitors up from the deep south.

Btw does anyone know if the last batch of ten houses released have all been sold ? If so are there any plans for the builder to change site plan again and incorporate more detached houses ? Thkyou

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kieran6

Jamontoast wrote: »
    Btw does anyone know if the last batch of ten houses released have all been sold ? If so are there any plans for the builder to change site plan again and incorporate more detached houses ? Thkyou

As far as I know they were all sold in a closed bid for a reserve price of €397,500. 5 houses back to back facing the crèche nd the semi-d's. Haven't heard of any more plan changes, but they will be building for the highest demand, which for the moment are detached houses.

Ok thanks for the update

Anyone get a quote for attic conversion yet?

Anyone get a quote for attic conversion yet?

No, not yet. I'm not putting on any pressure for it really, still some time to go, and I don't want to seem to interested!

Hi All, I need a help from you guys, who closed a sale for a house in castlepark and have a mortgage from UlsteBank,
    Please, can you PM me.
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

sokol7998 wrote: »
    Hi All, I need a help from you guys, who closed a sale for a house in castlepark and have a mortgage from UlsteBank,
    Please, can you PM me.
    Thanks in advance
    Sent you a pm there, not sure if you got it! Have you had a problem with the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Donna p

Hi everyone
    I have just bought a 4 bed semi d which should be ready spring time next year. I was just wondering has many people made alterations to their houses? I am thinking of making the main bathroom upstairs bigger and converting the attic putting the new staircase in the front bedroom? I suppose I'm just trying to get a feeler are the builders open to change?

Donna p wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I have just bought a 4 bed semi d which should be ready spring time next year. I was just wondering has many people made alterations to their houses? I am thinking of making the main bathroom upstairs bigger and converting the attic putting the new staircase in the front bedroom? I suppose I'm just trying to get a feeler are the builders open to change?

Yea they are totally up for change! Floor plan upstairs is totally flexible! I'm converting the attic in my 4 bed semi- it happens after the close of sale, you loose the box room in the front cause that's where the stairs go. You need to tell them about wanting to convert the attic though cause there are certain things that they need to do during the build like fireproofing etc but they will talk you through it all!

Sent you a pm there, not sure if you got it! Have you had a problem with the bank?

Thanks Newgirl for PM, anyone else who is with UlsterBank could help me, please PM me, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations regarding the snag list?

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations regarding the snag list?

I'll be snagging very soon too so am also interested in any advice re snagging, what to look out for etc!

not sure if this is one for the snag list but as with any new build you definitely need to get the drains checked (make sure the flush is strong enough to carry waste away to main drains etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Interested to know what your heating bills are like for those of you already living in Castlepark.... Are they much lower considering the A rating the houses have?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jammie01

For those of you who have moved into the second row, how do you find the solar panels work in a north facing garden? Have heard that they're not much use unless they are facing south and getting most of the sunlight throughout the day.

Also, how do you find the sun in your garden throughout the day, would you get evening sun or is it blocked from the shade of the house? And how is your kitchen for light in the north facing houses?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

Jammie01 wrote: »
    For those of you who have moved into the second row, how do you find the solar panels work in a north facing garden? Have heard that they're not much use unless they are facing south and getting most of the sunlight throughout the day.

Also, how do you find the sun in your garden throughout the day, would you get evening sun or is it blocked from the shade of the house? And how is your kitchen for light in the north facing houses?

Thanks

The solar panels on the second row houses are on the south side. They are on the front of the house facing south rather then on the back.

Advertisement