Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Boot-up.

Options
  • 15-11-2017 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

I'm having a rather mild but annoying problem with windows since I updated it a few weeks ago to 10.0.16xxx

I shut my PC down from the start menu and turn it off at the wall. I return the following day or whenever and boot it up and when it boots it reopens Chrome and other windows programs I may have had open when I last shut it down. It's behaving as if I've not shut it down but put into a hibernation?

I've tried disabling hybrid shut down from the power management settings.

I've tried disabling hibernation completely using "powercfg.exe /h off".

No amount of googling is helping me. I can't seem to figure it out!

Any advice appreciated,
    Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/25/block-reopening-of-programs-on-windows-10-start/

Its part of the creators update and no way to stop it unless you close everything manually before shut down. Just adjust and get over it! Wonderful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hmm... never come across this one(thank god).
    I just thought, if Windows load up ex session it must have some record of what it was. "fast startup" had file Hiberfil.sys on your C:\.
    Maybe worth to check if that file is gone after powercfg.exe /h off (i have confidence you ran it as Admin) and delete it if it is still there. Cant remember exactly, but think i had to remove this file manually.

Would not like this "feature" to happen to me ,not yet anyway. Hopefully someone will share some solution.

One more thing.
    As you probably know, Hiberfil.sys is protected and hidden system file, so you have to untick box in Folder Options

Hmm... never come across this one(thank god).
    I just thought, if Windows load up ex session it must have some record of what it was. "fast startup" had file Hiberfil.sys on your C:\.
    Maybe worth to check if that file is gone after powercfg.exe /h off (i have confidence you ran it as Admin) and delete it if it is still there. Cant remember exactly, but think i had to remove this file manually.

Would not like this "feature" to happen to me ,not yet anyway. Hopefully someone will share some solution.

Yeah I ran it as admin and did this too. It's literally just a feature of the creators update and so far I can't seem to find a way to disable it. Albeit I only put a half hour into trying to find a solution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Had the same issue on mine, it's the stupid Windows fast start option that reeanabled after every majpr update so you need to disabled it.

1 – Head to the Control Panel and click on Power Options
    2 – Click the link of the left-hand side ‘Choose what the power buttons do’
    3 – Click the ‘Change settings currently unavailable’ link
    4 – Tick the ‘Turn on fast start-up’ box under Shut-down settings

Restart the PC to verify, hope this helps.

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    Had the same issue on mine, it's the stupid Windows fast start option that reeanabled after every majpr update so you need to disabled it.

1 – Head to the Control Panel and click on Power Options
    2 – Click the link of the left-hand side ‘Choose what the power buttons do’
    3 – Click the ‘Change settings currently unavailable’ link
    4 – Tick the ‘Turn on fast start-up’ box under Shut-down settings

Restart the PC to verify, hope this helps.

Tried this too. Nothing! I'm just going to have to get into the habit of closing everything. It's not like anyone else uses my PC but sometimes I'd even shock my self with what I last had open in my browser - I don't want to re-see it when I turn my PC on! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Wonder what makes people to do Win10 except getting some decent money for being a tester...
    Just "Relevant Adds" settings during installation should be enough for any sensible user not to follow. Unless you want to have advertising board instead of computer with real Operating System.

zom wrote: »
    Wonder what makes people to do Win10 except getting some decent money for being a tester...
    Just "Relevant Adds" settings during installation should be enough for any sensible user not to follow. Unless you want to have advertising board instead of computer with real Operating System.
    I'd still use Windows 8.1 only that I work in IT and feel like I'll be left behind if I don't use it. Even though I hate it.

The OP's behaviour is part of the 1709/16299 Fall Creators Update, I don't think you can do anything about it.

Miike wrote: »
    https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/25/block-reopening-of-programs-on-windows-10-start/

Its part of the creators update and no way to stop it unless you close everything manually before shut down. Just adjust and get over it! Wonderful

Just got chance to read through that article. According author, Shutdown -s -t 0 should sort this. Might be creating shortcut would be suitable workaround for you or others who experience this "feature". Actually it would be just double click.
    Similar way (I'm using PowerShell) i shutdown/restart my file server and other systems when needed, instead connecting to it.
    Give it a go and let us here know if it works.

Can't check myself as Win10 i work on don't have the "feature" yet. At home running 8.1, feel :mad: same as Karsini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Just got chance to read through that article. According author, Shutdown -s -t 0 should sort this. Might be creating shortcut

I would also create shutdown -a shortcut in case you change your mind or click first by mistake - and make above shutdown -s -t 5 or even 10.

• Advertisement

I'll try this out on my desktop when I get home. I've just gotten into the habit of closing everything before I shut down windows now. From reading around on the internet it's looking there will be a fix issued by microsoft so you can disable this "feature", whenever they decide to get around to it.

Advertisement