Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cailinnacille

Hi there, I have joined a new class in Gort in Galway and being honest I think it is unbelievable!! I have lost 6.5 lbs in 2 weeks and other attempts have all failed prior to this! I find I am not craving as much rubbish and am fuller most of the time. My only question is "how does it work"???

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Hi there, I have joined a new class in Gort in Galway and being honest I think it is unbelievable!! I have lost 6.5 lbs in 2 weeks and other attempts have all failed prior to this! I find I am not craving as much rubbish and am fuller most of the time. My only question is "how does it work"???

it's magic .... nah, it's a combination of mindful eating, meals that are nutritionally and volume dense whilst being lower in cals than what you were eating prior. And not making anything forbidded. If you did calorie track you'll probably find it comes around 1500 cals a day (not that you need to!) Also first week of any diet you tend to drop a few pounds of "water weight" so it will probably even out to about 1-2 lb a week after a while (more if you have more weight to lose).
    I've given up most grains (bar brown rice) as an experiment - if I eat one slice for breakfast I can have half a loaf gone by tea time. By avoiding it I am not missing it. Same goes with biscuits - I can't do one biscuit at 11am with a cuppa it turns into half a packet over the day. That's just how it is for me and I've had to choose which is more important - getting healthy or eating the bread and biscuits. Once I get to my goal I can hopefully re evaluate this if I really want to.
    Great going though - good luck for next WI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cailinnacille

Thanks I am delighted and it does make sense! When I take into account that now my breakfast consists of berries and ff yogurt or wheetabix r porridge, fruit as a snack, lean meat salad and beet root etc for lunch and whatever pasta/spud r rice and whatever meat for dinner and that is relatively it!! Then Friday I will have wine etc and just use a few days Syns together and go without then! I wonder is that a bad plan? It hasn't worked against me thus far but who knows!! Thanks for the support and reply!!

Thanks I am delighted and it does make sense! When I take into account that now my breakfast consists of berries and ff yogurt or wheetabix r porridge, fruit as a snack, lean meat salad and beet root etc for lunch and whatever pasta/spud r rice and whatever meat for dinner and that is relatively it!! Then Friday I will have wine etc and just use a few days Syns together and go without then! I wonder is that a bad plan? It hasn't worked against me thus far but who knows!! Thanks for the support and reply!!

That's it - if aint broke and all that. Keep doing what your doing and if/when you start to show too many sts it's time to mix things up. I had a month of sts basically despite my best efforts (or so I thought!) , broke through it - without doing anything too radical and lost 4lb last week and 3lb this week. Hormones, TOTM and loads of other stuff all have an influence and it can take a while for loss to show on the scale. Never thought I'd say it but I had the most gorgeous bowl of porridge and dried fruit for breakfast - decided can't be totally grain free, not yet anyway. Let us know how WI goes.

After my big lost of 7.5lb 2 weeks ago, I was up 2lb the following week and stayed the same this week. I didn't have a great week so it was ag good as I could have expected.

I am now 3lb away fro the 4 stone mark and feel like I just have no motivation at the moment. Really need to get the focus back. I could happily eat all around me.
    No - don't give up. Why have you no motivation? What's holding you back now that wasn't before? Go back to how you felt when you got those first great losses and how that felt. Set a new goal and a new vision - come on your so close to 4 stone .... I'm 6lb off the 4 stone mark - let's see can you beat me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

well slimming world if anything has me eating stuff I would have ate a lot off if not at all! I am eating more fruit/salad than I ever did, eating fat freenatural yogurt which I love mixed with a bit of granola or fruit and me a lover of cheese but hater of cottage cheese has got a new likeness for it. When I'm hungry after a walk I find myself looking forward to some of it on ryvita or having a banana. I was never like that before SW I would be reaching for the coffee and biscuits. So at least it has got me eating better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

I'm the same Miss Choc I find myself snacking now on carrot sticks instead of choc and crisps, I haven't touched bread in 4 days which is a huge thing for me I use to live on bread. I love the muller light yougarts vanilla with choc and cutting up my banana and putting it into it. Its delicious :)

the only food I wish I could love and I think I have to discover it properly is fish. Always have an issue with the smell and bones. I am just used to eating tuna mayo sambos and cod in batter after that I dont touch fish. I never go near it in a restaurant I will have to try eat more of it must be over a year since I ate a "proper" piece of fish excluding the above

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

Hi all, delighted to find a thread on SW.
    I'm 3 weeks into it on the extra easy plan. Had my first weigh in last week and 6lbs down! Beyond chuffed with that, next weigh in is tomorrow and I've a feeling I haven't lost much, I haven't got out walking/jogging over the last week, the dark mornings just make me not want to get up at all.

miss choc I'm the same with fish, but there are a few nice fish recipes on the SW website that look lovely so maybe start there and see how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

Hi Lynfo I'm new to sw too. Welcome :)

• Advertisement

yeah I think a lot of things just never made me love fish I hate the smell would have to be a "non fishy" fish I guess like white not oily fish, bones, my parents never ate it and when we did it was fish fingers (I rem the fish having a grey tinge to it! or boil in the bag fish with the sauce from the 80's bleugh, luckily I'd say fish has come on a lot since then just haven't the good memories of eating it Might have a look at a few SW recipes and check out some supermarkets I always bypass the fish counter.

I've tried most kinds of fish at this stage and I just don't like it. The "best" was tempura of monkfish or squid - I managed one piece ... I've done shark (told it wasn't "fishy" it is, brown trout I caught myself (told it was a dead cert way to eat it), dogfish, battered cod, tuna in a tin and as a steak, john dorey, sea bass, prawns - even tried a whelk once - bleughhhhh. So I've now officially given up with fish.
    I do like watching people cook fish recipes though - they always look good!

I actually had monkfish for my wedding I have to say it was a nice fish no bones and a meaty type of fish. Had a bit of lemon sole from M&S before that's not too bad I grilled it and had it will a sauce I can't stand salmon or shellfish would puke if I had to eat an oyster. Trouble is I like the fish sometimes in batter and breadcrumbs against the SW rules

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conair01

Hi guys not sure if this is in the right place

Heres a fridge magnet with a difference that might help the weight loss:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/WEIGHT-LOSS-TARGET-FRIDGE-MAGNET-/261106330355?pt=UK_Collectables_Kitchenalia_RL&hash=item3ccb266af3#ht_500wt_1203

conair01 wrote: »
    Hi guys not sure if this is in the right place

Heres a fridge magnet with a difference that might help the weight loss:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/WEIGHT-LOSS-TARGET-FRIDGE-MAGNET-/261106330355?pt=UK_Collectables_Kitchenalia_RL&hash=item3ccb266af3#ht_500wt_1203

You've given me an idea of what to make for my friends birthday - not a fridge magnet (cos she might think me a bit scabby) but the blackboard has given me an idea ....

Just back from SW now down 4lbs :D only 2lb away from my half stone going to try hard to shift those lbs this week

miss choc wrote: »
    Just back from SW now down 4lbs :D only 2lb away from my half stone going to try hard to shift those lbs this week
    Well done. You'll make the half stone next week no probs - I can see the future! Hoping to make the 2 stone award next week - just a pound to go, surely I can manage that (although have an urge to splurge and go out for a few drinks this week but if I'm really good otherwise .... )

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

Woooooo down 3.5lbs this week, made my half stone mark, 9.5lbs gone already. So, so chuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Sign up is €18 but if there's a new class coming to your area there is often a €9 discount voucher given out locally. Then it's €9 a week - also you have to pay if you miss a week, unless it has been notified and approved by your consultant before (and you can't get to another class to Weigh in).
    I do mine online - it costs less but you don't have a consultant to ring or text, although I guess I could e-mail them if was having problems.

Hi Boxercise,

Just to clarify, you actually don't have to have any holidays notified and approved by a consultant you just book them in advance on your blue card with the social team at the laptop.

And you are totally encouraged to go to another group if you can't make your own, in fact, you can attend any group anywhere in the Republic with your card. Better off doing that than missing a week to protect your weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

Have you tried trout??? it milder in flavour and really light. Im not great at eating and cooking fish the smell lingers far too long and i love red meat but if i was to cook trout is my favourite
    I actually had monkfish for my wedding I have to say it was a nice fish no bones and a meaty type of fish. Had a bit of lemon sole from M&S before that's not too bad I grilled it and had it will a sauce I can't stand salmon or shellfish would puke if I had to eat an oyster. Trouble is I like the fish sometimes in batter and breadcrumbs against the SW rules

• Advertisement

I have a friend who loves fish and she reccommended trout too she eats fish about 3 times a week I'd be lucky if I eat it 3 times a year next time I am in the supermarket I am going to try some out. It would broaden my sw recipes too instead of chicken/beef all the time

hi guys havent been on in ages, have you tried the lucious lemon greek yogurt from muller??? if not do, they are DEEElicious :)

12 weeks to christmas, set a target last week in class to be one stone lighter xmas day. As i said to my leader of course its achieveable once i dont sabatoge myself.( and to be honest if i lost another half a stone id still be delighted:))
    Its great to have an aim no matter what it is. Last weekend was the first time anybody had noticed i had lost weight, got my stone last week but noone had noticed up to that point...so now i feel great :)

Anybody else setting targets??
    I find the mini ones great as the end one seems soooo far away x

honestly its delicious, there is a nice flavour but not overpowering, i find im eating meat meat meat all the time too, and all this fish talk is making me crave some :)
    I have a friend who loves fish and she reccommended trout too she eats fish about 3 times a week I'd be lucky if I eat it 3 times a year next time I am in the supermarket I am going to try some out. It would broaden my sw recipes too instead of chicken/beef all the time

Have to say I am eating way more yogurts and fruit thanks to SW at least that has to be good. I love the Muller too the Greek ones are lovely I also love natureal yogurt the Onken one is delish sometimes I put some granola, fruit or bit of honey in it. They were saying last night in class to put the coconut greek yogurt in at the end of cooking a Thai curry (instead of coconut milk which mad high in syns) might try that sometime.

Hi Boxercise,

Just to clarify, you actually don't have to have any holidays notified and approved by a consultant you just book them in advance on your blue card with the social team at the laptop.

And you are totally encouraged to go to another group if you can't make your own, in fact, you can attend any group anywhere in the Republic with your card. Better off doing that than missing a week to protect your weight loss.

I didn't mean to be negative - I just meant that you couldn't just not turn up - I know someone who did that and then got really pissy about being told they had to pay for the absent weeks. Just didn't explain it properly.
    I can't get to a class and stay for meetings, which I would like to do - that's why I do mine online. And tbh at the moment there are just not enough classes in ROI to really make attending another class feasible for most people - but I'm sure that will be changing soon as it is so popular.

Dair wrote: »
    hi guys havent been on in ages, have you tried the lucious lemon greek yogurt from muller??? if not do, they are DEEElicious :)

12 weeks to christmas, set a target last week in class to be one stone lighter xmas day. As i said to my leader of course its achieveable once i dont sabatoge myself.( and to be honest if i lost another half a stone id still be delighted:))
    Its great to have an aim no matter what it is. Last weekend was the first time anybody had noticed i had lost weight, got my stone last week but noone had noticed up to that point...so now i feel great :)

Anybody else setting targets??
    I find the mini ones great as the end one seems soooo far away x
    I started one on June 25th and set myself the lofty target of 42lb by Xmas Day - not sure I'll get there but I'm 26lb down so far.
    My mini goal is 7lb gone by Halloween. Hey, there's nothing wrong with optimism :)
    It's great when people start noticing - I'm usually in sweats/hoodies and jeans but the odd time I have "dressed up" several people have commented on my weight loss.

Have to say I am eating way more yogurts and fruit thanks to SW at least that has to be good. I love the Muller too the Greek ones are lovely I also love natureal yogurt the Onken one is delish sometimes I put some granola, fruit or bit of honey in it. They were saying last night in class to put the coconut greek yogurt in at the end of cooking a Thai curry (instead of coconut milk which mad high in syns) might try that sometime.
    Oh thanks for the yoghurt idea - love Thai curry but not the syns. Must try it, guess you'd need extra curry paste as I think all Muller Lights are just too sickly (but the toffee one with a treat bag of mini maltesers crushed into it with half a punnet of strawberries is a huge in front of the telly sweet treat for 5 syns ).

I have 2st 7lb to lose so am going to do increments of half stone would like to get most of the stone off by Christmas. Its all on my hips I have a tiny upper body size 10 everything just goes onto the hips typical pear shape :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Broke diet Friday thro Sunday, 2lb up, oh well, still 9lb down!! Felt rotten though after breaking it even though I didn't have anything major, my system was obviously used to the good stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭emma_mc123

Hi Guys,

how is everyone getting on?
    Haven't been on for a while cause I've been away from my computer...which is a bit of a blessing :)

I got my half stone award last week :-D so delighted! Really want to keep up the effort and get some more off before the holidays (won't use the C word yet!)

I'm also about to finally start incorporating some exercise into my routine. bought some citydeal vouchers during the week. Have TRX and anti gravity yoga classes for the next 6 weeks. I'm actually quite nervous about the TRX cause I remember it being very tough, but super excited about the anti gravity yoga, always wanted to give it a try.
    Also, I'm doing a trial membership in a gym around the corner from my office. Hoping to even get some 20 minute intervals or a quick dip after work.

this should all help me get back into my lovely old clothes :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement